• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: We Will Most Likely Discount Star Wars Battlefront II Around the Movie’s Launch

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Read this bit in EA's 17-page financials:

We will most likely discount the game like we did last time around the movie launch, and maybe you’ll even see some selective discounts around the holidays, either Thanksgiving or Christmas. That’s the way the games business always has worked. And so if you see the title on discount, don’t read anything into that other than the fact that that’s the way you sell games in the holidays.

http://mp1st.com/news/star-wars-bat...happening-when-the-last-jedi-launches-says-ea

Source is Seeking Alpha, but a sign-up and log-in is required to read through it all.

Hope this is fine, mods.

zenspider

Seriously this. For the past few years around blaxk Friday pretty much every big game was 39.99.

2 weeks after release? No way.

Here's last year's
Black Friday Sale
, and Flash Sale.

The 3 big shooters last year were already out a month, save CoD, and they only discounted the bundles.

I'm kind of bummed I preordered on PSN. It got me to the 100 for the 15 bucks off deal, but still I would have gotten MvC:I if I knew EA was going to Ubisoft me.

Right now through Best Buy with GCU and the $10 reward for the pre-order of the game and trading in BF 1 for $10 to use on BF2 you are effectively paying $27.99 + tax for the game.

If you have GCU and are even mildly curious about the game I doubt you'll find it cheaper any time soon.

The Golden Rule: Never buy new games.

This.

With games at $79.99 in Canada now, i almost immediately stopped buying games when they went from $59.99 to $79.99. If i wait a month or two i can pretty much always find them on sale or used for half of the $80 msrp... Unless its nintendo games of course

This.

With games at $79.99 in Canada now, i almost immediately stopped buying games when they went from $59.99 to $79.99. If i wait a month or two i can pretty much always find them on sale or used for half of the $80 msrp... Unless its nintendo games of course

man canada really sucks for how expensive games are these days.

Op trying to start some outrage but games drop so quickly now that this is nothing new. It'll be 10 to 20 dollars off the week of TLJ which isn't that much if your already using GCU from best buy or Amazon. And you totally should be if you like buying games new or at release.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Op trying to start some outrage but games drop so quickly now that this is nothing new. It'll be 10 to 20 dollars off the week of TLJ which isn't that much if your already using GCU from best buy or Amazon. And you totally should be if you like buying games new or at release.

How am I starting an outrage? I'm reporting on actual fact that was made available by EA. I never said it's bomba time or something sinister. Jorgensen has said as much that it's for promotion stuff and shouldn't be seen as anything else.

I'd have been more excited for this game if it were TDM based. Im sick of objective based stuff. Running to the objective/fire fights after spawning is a pain.

No shocker here, it's launching just before holidays and it's sales season. I was always waiting for a discount, nice to get some kind of confirmation though.

But will they also discount loot boxes?
Maybe, kind of like how a crack dealer lets you sample the goods to get you hooked. Sounds like EA.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If i wait a month or two i can pretty much always find them on sale or used for half of the $80 msrp... Unless its nintendo games of course

Like the NPD analysts said though... no wonder games are moving to the GaaS model (sadly, very sadly). Not the only reason, but this helps too. Sure, I am not saying people should spend more than they are comfortable with (big problem is publishers not lowering the price of digital games where they do save quite a bit of money and massively reduce production risks/management to... zero), but that this coupled with the fact that people minds 140 * 50c transactions a lot less than spending $69 on a game upfront helps the current GaaS trend grow.

DonF

It's the EA way. Last year, a month from release, both bf1 and Titanfall 2 were $35 in the ps store. I'm not surprised. People were claiming bomba, but bf1 sold excellent. They want to win sales over anything.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This is a very stupid business decision for EA.
What the hell are they thinking.

They're fine with being brazen about it because a) a lot of people don't have the self-control not to buy day one, and b) they'll easily make any lost money back via their exploitative loot boxes.

Like the NPD analysts said though... no wonder games are moving to the GaaS model (sadly, very sadly). Not the only reason, but this helps too. Sure, I am not saying people should spend more than they are comfortable with (big problem is publishers not lowering the price of digital games where they do save quite a bit of money and massively reduce production risks/management to... zero), but that this coupled with the fact that people minds 140 * 50c transactions a lot less than spending $69 on a game upfront helps the current GaaS trend grow.

You're not wrong. I am part of the problem but I've also never spent a penny on micro transactions or cosmetic DLC so I may not be their target audience regardless lol.

This is more of a Canada problem anyway. I found at $60 cdn it was in impulse territory, especially heading in to a weekend. Something about that $80 + GST tag though has completely taken me out of that mind set, and anecdotally many of my friends as well. I pre-order everything (Including this game) I might want with Amazon at E3 and can get most games for $50, but long gone are the days of just walking in to EB or Wal mart and buying a fresh game or two.

wipeout364

Actually EA’s behavior is the reason I only buy their games on deep discount. The put microtranactions in everything and then charge ridiculous prices for their DLC. Battlefield and battlefront both had 70 dollar season passes in Canada. Screw them, after the Battlefront season pass I have never bought an EA game or pass for full price. Any ill will that comes their way is wholely deserved.

Top Bottom