• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

* Parasite Eve * Appreciation Thread!

[ parasite eve ]

"The worst foe lies within the self."

eveaya.jpg

Platform: PlayStation
Developer: Square
Genre: Role-Playing / Horror
Players: 1

Release Dates:

Japan: March 29th, 1998
USA: September 8th, 1998

[ U.S. cover art ]

parasiteeve.jpg

Based on the story, Parasite Eve, by Hideaki Sena.

Cast:

Aya Brea
Daniel Bo Dollis
Maeda Kunihiko

ayasmall.jpg
maedasmall.jpg
danielsmall.jpg

===================================================================

I decided to make this thread because I often see a lot of love for this game expressed on the forums. Here we can bask in all of its glory!

Looking back, Parasite Eve is probably one of my favorite games for the PlayStation. The developers chose to make a game that didn't follow typical RPG/Adventure formulas, and the result was a very compelling, independant property. It was also a welcome change that the lead character was a young woman. At the same time, Metal Gear Solid's protagonist, Solid Snake, was making waves as the super-macho-badass-save-the-world male, so PE's female approach was and still is an important element of the game's success.

I remember being so excited for PE. I had bought my PlayStation only months before the game's release in 1998, and it was a nice "launch" game of sorts.

Fun fact: Parasite Eve would go on to help me make an impression on my Biology teacher a couple years later. Our class was just starting our coverage on cells, and I brought up mitochondria (a recurring theme in the game's plot). My teacher was surprised I even knew the word and what it related to. Then she said we wouldn't be covering human cells, just plants. At least I tried.

[ plot ]

Christmas Eve, 1998. A young female police officer named Aya Brea steps out of a limo to accompany her date to an opera. The two get seated and the show begins. Within minutes of the performance the leading lady in red, Melissa Pearce, notices Aya in the crowd. Seconds later, Melissa sets the entire concert hall ablaze, killing nearly everyone. Surprisingly, Aya is unscathed. She takes chase after the woman responsible for the catastrophe - demanding answers. After descending into the depths of the hall, Aya sees an image of a young girl - one who looks vaguely familiar. The girl turns to run, leading the rookie cop into the dark corridors...

What follows over the next five days in the brisk Manhattan winter is a tale of love, loss, self discovery, and what it means to be a human being.

I won't go into much else plot wise, as this is such an interesting game. Just play it for the story if not anything else!

[ opening scene ]

parasite_screen001.jpg
parasite_screen005.jpg

parasite_screen006.jpg
parasite_screen011.jpg

[ details ]

Parasite Eve is highly character and narrative driven, aimed squarely at an older audience. The story focuses on rookie detective Aya Brea, her partner Daniel, a Japanese scientist Maeda, and Melissa "Eve" Pearce. The story deals with the core elements of human evolution, genetics, and just how deep beneath the skin our existence goes. Aya is forced to discover who she is and why Melissa - "Eve" - is so intent on the deconstruction of our existence as a species.

Being dubbed a "cinematic" RPG, Parasite Eve features a large dose of highly detailed (pre-rendered) environments, dynamic camera angles, and some impressive CG video to help progress the story. The FMV itself was extremely good for its time, and is still some of the best stuff on the PlayStation. Really surprising, considering the game released only a year after Square's first foray into 3D RPGs.

Gameplay is a hybrid of adventure and role-playing. Featuring traditional RPG elements like Hit Points, EXP, and equippable weapons/armor and the ability to customize equipment to their liking. Surprisingly (and contrary to the RPG staple), there is no currency is Parasite Eve. All items are either found or are dropped by enemies/bosses. It becomes apparant after you play the game for a while that any type of money at all would have only complicated things.

The progress of the game is fairly linear, but the player is oftentimes given the option of returning to previous locations to search for previously inaccesible and/or hidden items. I encourage you to explore the game over and over again, as it's nearly impossible to see and find everything on your first trip through!

Battles are fairly typical RPG fare. Enemies are usually introduced on-screen, but randomized battles do occur (with a delicious "heart beat" sound I might add). However, instead of standing in one place like just about every single other Squaresoft RPG character before her, Aya is given the gift of free movement. She stands in a "sphere" wherein she can freely run around. This provides ample room for the player to set up various battle strategies since they aren't locked to one place. Furthermore, there are various magical abilities that can alter the course of most encounters. With her "Parasite Energy" Aya can heal, shield herself, speed up her movement, slow down enemy movement, and cast several different devastating super attacks. This makes battling for more interesting than it usually is in other grind-fests.

[ opening battle & stat screen ]

parasite_screen010.jpg
parasite_screen008.jpg

Increasing Aya's statistics is fairly similar to most other RPGs. She levels up, and her HP and other skills improve. Bonus points are awarded at levels, and can be allocated to nearly every stat on Aya or her weapons.

Weapons are handled very uniquely in Parasite Eve. Instead of the standard "weapon A, weapon B" fare, you can modify weapons in almost every respect. You have the choice of melee (clubs) or guns (pistols, machine guns, rocket launchers). For guns, the ammunition capacity, rate-of-fire, and various status effects are engraved into each weapon, making no single gun the same as another. Even better, you can merge guns and their respective properties into other guns, crafting even more powerful weapons to do battle with. This element of customization actually rewards you for experimenting!

Battles, adventure, and plot all melt together to form one very great game!

[ in closing ]

When you boil it down, Paraiste Eve was - and still is - such an incredible and highly original effort on Squaresoft's behalf. So many unique aspects and interesting mechanics make up this game that it is impossible to ignore once you play it. There was enough interest to warrant a sequel years later, but the original is still the champion. If you can track down a copy, this game is well worth your while. Awesome stuff.

Aya Brea's adventures will live on.

Square needs to remake this baby... badly.

aya563.jpg

Daniel was such a badass... sometimes, I can't even believe it.

But yeah, I only played PE1, but it was awesome. I just remember how 'cool' the series seemed... at least that's how Square marketed it.

BTW, Aya= the hotness. WHAT. Real girls ain't shit to Chad Warden.

Idioteque

Best RPGs on the Playstation, but I prefer the second game over the first. Would really love it if square made a new game.

animato

Square should make this game for the next-gen.

I was in grade school back then and it made me want to study the parts of a cell, especially the Mitochondria.

<3 Parasite Eve. Aya was a great character and the combat was interesting, using guns fused with magic and whatnot. Also one of the few RPGs that made an attempt at having horror elements. I cannot believe Square didn't make a PS2 follow up, PE1 and 2 were extremely popular. The first one sold around 800k in the US.

I'll hold my breath for FFXIII: Parasite Eve

Carlisle said:
But judging by those screens, it has aged horribly.

It suffered from a little bit of the "pixelitis" that plagued FFVIII, but it still looks incredibly good for a PSOne title.

Oh, and I hope at least a couple of you read all that. It took me an hour to put the original post together.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just replayed this on my PSP. I think it's a great game...and I think the graphics hold up pretty nicely!

I really gotta figure out this PSP PSOne emu business, I started a game of Parasite Eve on my PS3 and man, it wounds when played on an HDTV.

SRG01

Mmmm. Aya. I remember drooling over fanart of her during my adolescent youth.

The first game was great. The second, not so much.

Who here actually beat the Chrysler building?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So awesome. I didn't get to spend much time with this because of Snake(no ps1), but, I was impressed with what I played. Whenever Sony gets the online stuff straight with the PSP, hopefully, this will be one of the titles we will get sooner. Its really good.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Now that I live in NY, I'm actually MORE curious about this.

What was so wrong with PE2?

Draft

I also liked the second one more. The combat seemed tighter and they had a clearer idea of what they wanted to do with the magic system.

Game series is sick. Should get next-gen treatment total.

edit: the second game's story is pretty bad, even compared to the first game's, which isn't exactly Dyackian.

vertopci

This game was awesome. Only thing that sucked is that my game froze on the ending scene. Never got to see the full thing :lol

I only briefly played PE2, but if I remember right, it played more like a Resident Evil game compared to the first one (which was a quasi-ARPG).

ronito

I knew I loved the game when I could find a machine gun, a rifle and a grenade launcherns and plenty of ammo in a hospital.

Avalon

Draft said:
I also liked the second one more. The combat seemed tighter and they had a clearer idea of what they wanted to do with the magic system.

Game series is sick. Should get next-gen treatment total.

edit: the second game's story is pretty bad, even compared to the first game's, which isn't exactly Dyackian.

I also enjoyed the second game more. They did borrow a lot from other survival horror games, but they definitely implemented it well. It was overall a much better looking and more challenging game.

Story was all right for most of the game... even had some touching moments but the end was just terrible.

vilmer_

The game is legendary. It's rather odd that Herzog Zwei AND Parasite Eve, two games that I've been bragging to people about for years, suddenly appear in appreciation threads. Is NeoGAF trying to make me it's life partner?

I loved this game. Played through the whole thing again a couple months ago and I firmly believe a full on remake of this game would be incredible. The story was great but suffers from some localization problems.

I can totally envision an expanded remake with huge streaming levels all around NYC, the rpg elements and battles that are a cross between the original system, RE4 (close up over the shoulder view to aim at different body parts, with the camera pulled further back and fully controllable when not aiming.)

Damn you Square, damn you.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
dude your killing me :( I love this series!!!!

I would be so ****ing happy if they released this on Next gen. I would buy that system right away for this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game SHOULD have next gen treatment...it's THE "cinematic RPG!" Now that we're in an era where that kind of stuff could actually be imagined...could you imagine this game running on the White engine? It would easily surpass the CG sequences in the original.

edit: Oh and another amazing Shimomura soundtrack.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
One of the greatest gems of the PSX era. I love it through and through. Amazing versatile, deep, and FUN gameplay, a solid story, good characters, awesome secrets, and one of the greatest soundtracks around.

I could go on for pages, but I won't. If you haven't played it, do so.

LJ11

Man, I loved this game. I loved modding my guns. The FMV/CG was just amazing at the time, I couldn't believe what I was watching. Some of the transformations/mutations were really gruesome. Going through the Chrysler Building was a joy. Regretfully, I never got around to playing the second one. I hope SE revives the franchise, but I'm not holding my breath.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
LJ11 said:
Man, I loved this game. I loved modding my guns. The FMV/CG was just amazing at the time, I couldn't believe what I was watching. Some of the transformations/mutations were really gruesome. Going through the Chrysler Building was a joy. Regretfully, I never got around to playing the second one. I hope SE revives the franchise, but I'm not holding my breath.

modding the guns was awesome, and the Chrysler building was awesome :D your missing out if you haven't played the second one.

Kinda funny to see such enthusiasm for this now, since I remember nobody really seemed to like it when it first came out, but maybe part of it was disappointment over the relatively short length, which isn't as much of a factor when you can get it for $10.

If anybody's wondering "where are they now", the PE1 team, being based at Square USA, broke up when that company folded, but some of the Japanese staff were reabsorbed into Square Japan and have mostly worked on Kingdom Hearts series (though the director/scenario writer worked on Bouncer and Hanjuku Hero). The PE2 team (a totally different group, mostly the same people who did Einhander) was absorbed into the FF11 project back in '99 and have been there ever since.

I have had the second one for such a long time, it was quite enjoyable and only cost me a pound, maybe one day i shall complete it.

Teasel

yep... awesome game
as someone already said PE2 is more like a Resident Evil clone than an rpg and it just wasn't as good as the first one...
anyway has anyone completed the chrysler building? i remember reaching the giant cockroach but i never killed it

Matix

Parasite Eve 1 rocked wickedly hard, PE2.. not so much. I wish S-E would take a break from force ****ing Final Fantasy shit down our throat, and release a new sequel, prequel, side-story, love simulator, whatever.. for some current-gen gaming platform (on a home console or handheld).

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
<3 these so much. Sequel plz.

I was a bit disappointed the 2nd one didn't have the
Liberate
skill, though. Was expecting a new secret category to appear after leveling all the powers :p

painey

never released over here :( cant play the sequel (which was released) without playing the first one so im fooked.

Top Bottom