• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Lair preview

FFChris

Karma Kramer said:
Now where is my Too Human preview IGN?

Yup. Get a move on IGN.

Lair does look amazing, PSN demo coming out too.

Edit: Sorry for the thread hi-jack. Too Human previews start on IGN tomorrow.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
"...orders your dragon to eat a hapless and unfortunate soldier, giving it back a bit of health"

Buahahaahaha. :lol

raYne

many folks have assumed for some time that you're able to get off your dragon and partake in a little hand-to-hand combat. It turns out that this isn't true.
Boooo.. Hissss...

Still, overall I'm feeling a lot better about the game that I was before the preview. I was always a bit "eh" about Lair.

Mifune

Mehmber
Reading the preview, this game really does sound like Rogue Squadron with dragons. Not a knock, but an observation.

Can't watch the vids yet, because I'm at work. Screenshots look nice!

The 1st video was underwhelming.

But the 2nd and 3rd delivered nicely.

Especially the water physics in the 2nd (how the explosions of the boats rock the sea waves), and the scale and weather in the 3rd one.

Also, big evolution for QTE combat?

I've disliked what we've seen up until today... Even when seeing it in the 1st and 2nd video here.

But did you notice all the different button options in the fight at the end of the 3rd video? Block, Block, Claw, Claw, Bite, and Flame. Perhaps they're adding at least a little depth or perhaps some non-linearity (different routes to take) to what was originally just linear QTE.

mood

The night video is really cool and the water looks great, but some of that ground stuff looks really rough. Especially in the screens.

acklame

And speaking of rewards, Lair is one of the first games that will officially make use of trophies for PlayStation Home.
Supports Home trophies :D

Lair also makes use of a fluid dynamics system for its impressive water technology, which looks fantastic even up close. This means that boats and objects are actually buoyant and float as they naturally would. Explosions cause waves in the water, which in turn rocks anything that the waves come across.
awesome.

Holtz

lair-20070412042542004.jpg

lair-20070412042548707.jpg

Nice. Downloading videos now.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Nice videos :)
Looking forward to the demo and final game.

screens don't do it justice imo. nice to finally see green grass.

IGN said:
In order to keep Lair's story at an extremely high level of production, its tale is told in a very linear fashion. However, individual missions will allow for branching goals, giving players the ability to play them as best they see fit. If you don't want to worry about the troops on the ground and would rather focus solely on the skies, you can go ahead and do that.

Ya, the game is totally open ended, I mean at any time you can choose to turn left and right! SANDBOX! Come on, give me a break. If it's linear, it's linear, and that's fine. Gears of War is EXTREMELY linear and is a fantastic game. Crackdown is open ended and is pretty good too. It's OK to be linear! And I know this kind of market speak isn't from IGN, but probably regurgitated from what Factor 5's PR department was telling them.

And the graphics look phenomenal. Some of the gameplay concerns brought up in the preview are concerning though. Control issues and camera issues... 2 things that have doomed many a game. Let's hope they clear those up before July.

Amir0x

Banned
jiggle said:
video#2
holy shit the water

Seriously. In motion, WOW JUST WOW @ water ripples

Although I must say some of the dragon on ground mauling looks kind of mindless, and not in the good DW-esque way

Coop

Mifune said:
Reading the preview, this game really does sound like Rogue Squadron with dragons. Not a knock, but an observation.

Can't watch the vids yet, because I'm at work. Screenshots look nice!

So in other words, the game will be awful.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
<prays for an optional traditional control system>

EDIT:

Video #2 = Dynasty Dragon Warriors Baby!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Watching those videos, I just can't help get the impression that the game is fairly rigid from both a visual and gameplay perspective. It doesn't look particularly enjoyable, in my opinion.

Top Bottom