• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

<3 Sonic Rush Appreciation Thread <3

rush2.jpg

It's probably my favourite DS title (and I own quite a few). This game seriously needs more love on this board (HATERS BE GONE). I almost liked everything about this game.

+Amazing music.
+Great trick system.
+Nice rush system/gauge.
+Nice "vertical" level design.
+Sonic is missing most of his shitty friends.
+Challenging.
+Good bonus stages.

It pretty much eliminated the whole "press-right-until-the-end" issue that plagued the Sonic Advance titles. It's by far the best portable Sonic title
I hated the Sonic Advance series
and one of the best 2D Sonic games.

The bottomless pits were annoying at first, but you can learn how to avoid them once you get familiar with the layout to the level. They're not a problem at all to me since I memorized all of the levels' layouts. :lol I only wish the game was a bit longer, like the Genesis titles.

It surprised me it took such a long time for Sega to announce its sequel. I hope Sega Studios can make the game as much fun as its predecessor. I never thought that I would be sad at the idea of Dimps not making a 2D Sonic title. :lol

SonicRush_DS_01.jpg

a_med_snakes.jpg

sonic4.jpg

a_med_ledge.jpg

15.jpg

Saitou

Banned
While I immensely enjoyed SR, calling the Trick "system" great is pushing the envelope way too far.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't think it can top Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.... but for my money it's about equal to Sonic 1, 2 and CD :)

Love the soundtrack.

The bosses were great.

Saitou

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
I liked it. I had a lot of fun doing tricks to fill up the rush meter. :D
bba[8r]bba is too easy to spam. Hardly any time to 'enjoy' what isn't there. I quit doing grinding tricks after messing up my jump for the 3549684th time, but it's pretty much moot.

Saitou said:
bba[8r]bba is too easy to spam. Hardly any time to 'enjoy' what isn't there. I quit doing grinding tricks after messing up my jump for the 3549684th time, but it's pretty much moot.

True. I do hope they expand on it in the sequel though, and fix the issues you've just mentioned. :)

I started this game completely hating it, and by the time I got to the second stage (water palace) was completely ready to sell it the next day. Thankfully I pushed on, and something just clicked. Had a blast with the rest of the game.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was playing this until a few months ago when I got stuck on the level where you start off grabbing a rocket and fly across a pit of spikes to a wall that has a platform on it.

I can't see a way through the wall. Tried to fly the rocket into this one part above the platform that looks like it would destruct but can never line it up since I can't see any indicator of where it is until the wall comes onto the screen by which time it's too late to move to it. What are you supposed to do here?

AniHawk

A Link to the Snitch said:
3834.jpg

Hold your tongue

-Sonic Team USA
-More shitty friends
-"New and exciting" uses for the touch screen
-Prolly a lot more 3D

+2D
+It's just running fast I hope to god.

Rlan

byproduct said:
I can't see a way through the wall. Tried to fly the rocket into this one part above the platform that looks like it would destruct but can never line it up since I can't see any indicator of where it is until the wall comes onto the screen by which time it's too late to move to it. What are you supposed to do here?

Use the R+Right button for the character to do their flying kick through it :)

Sonic Rush is an excellent game. There are some problems, which I hope will be fixed in the final game:

- remove any point where the gameplay alters. See: Sand Level's very slow "beat-em-up" areas at the level ends, and the Glider areas of the Sky level. Boring - makes me not play those levels very much. I'm hoping those 3D sections showed for SRA are outside the levels themselves.

- death pits - don't use them, allow the player to be able to get back to another area of the level, or better yet, add new, perhaps longer paths so the player can LEARN the layout when replaying.

- No enemy rooms please, and no enemies that require more than one hit EVER. More varied enemies would also be nice.

Other than that, go wild.

AniHawk said:
-Sonic Team USA
-More shitty friends
-Prolly a lot more 3D

+2D
+It's just running fast I hope to god.

The new and exciting stuff is probably just an expansion on the Sonic Rush touch stuff, I doubt they'd make you use the touch screen during the main game.

And how many more shitty friends, just curious?

Sirusjr

Banned
Great game, Hate the music though. I almost ignored it completely when I heard the BS they pass for music. Still I just mute it and enjoy it :)

Rlan

Sirusjr said:
Great game, Hate the music though. I almost ignored it completely when I heard the BS they pass for music. Still I just mute it and enjoy it :)

Die, Monster! You don't belong in this world!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Art of Altercation said:
All I gotta say is that Rush has the best original soundtrack to ANY Nintendo DS game that's out there. :D
Agreed!

Though I like phoenix wright too :)

My favorite game for the DS, and probably my overall favorite game in many years.

Good to see so many people still appreciate it in this age of jaded gamers.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Rlan said:
- remove any point where the gameplay alters. See: Sand Level's very slow "beat-em-up" areas at the level ends, and the Glider areas of the Sky level. Boring - makes me not play those levels very much. I'm hoping those 3D sections showed for SRA are outside the levels themselves.
I really didn't care for the glider levels either.

Rlan said:
- death pits - don't use them, allow the player to be able to get back to another area of the level, or better yet, add new, perhaps longer paths so the player can LEARN the layout when replaying.

I didn't mind the pits so much, but I will agree that longer paths would be a big improvement.

Rlan said:
- No enemy rooms please, and no enemies that require more than one hit EVER. More varied enemies would also be nice.

When Sonic I really enjoyed the enemy rooms. Especially when there were several in a sworm, mainly because of sonic's auto attack ability in this one. Was mindless fun tearing through the enemies from above. I wish blaze had something like that too.

The one thing I really wish is that they made blaze and sonic play differently enough to justify playing the same levels twice.

ZeoVGM

Banned
AniHawk said:
-Sonic Team USA

Could go either way.

-More shitty friends

So? Blaze was another "shitty friend" and was fine. Played just like Sonic.

That's not a negative until we know what it is. Even then, we don't know if it will be bad.

-Prolly a lot more 3D

The boss fights in Rush were awesome so if they add in 3D bonus games, that doesn't be they will suck

*WOOF*

What's that Lassie? Hideki Naganuma did the music for Sonic Rush?

*WOOF!*

Hideki, the person who made the best music tracks for Jet Set Radio Future?

*WOOF!*
*LEGHUMP*

I love you Lassie.

Sonic Rush is <3

Rlan

GreenGlowingGoo said:
When Sonic I really enjoyed the enemy rooms. Especially when there were several in a sworm, mainly because of sonic's auto attack ability in this one. Was mindless fun tearing through the enemies from above. I wish blaze had something like that too.

The one thing I really wish is that they made blaze and sonic play differently enough to justify playing the same levels twice.

Enemy rooms were okay, but they always chuck in damn Mega-Bot or Jump-Bot and they're a pain in the arse to kill. I tend to just 'dash-dash-dash' across the screen. The Sky level rooms were good though, as you sort of had to get to some of them, slightly puzzle-like.

Also Blaze and Sonic's differences really show up in the Time Attack. Blazes R+Up move allows her to leap across certain areas much faster than Sonic, but is slower than him in general. You can ace against your very last shot at the track, so I play as Sonic, then try and beat Sonic as Blaze on the same level, and so on.

rubso

Banned
Sonic Rush is the greatest sonic game in this generation, It's even better than Next-gen/Wii Versions.

yahso said:
Sonic Rush is the greatest sonic game in this generation, It's even better than Next-gen/Wii Versions.

Greater than the Wii version? Definitely, without a doubt. The Wii game, imo, is still very fun, though.

Greater than the...er, other version?

There couldn't possibly be a greater discrepancy in terms of quality than those two games. That's like saying Raging Bull is even better than Caddyshack II.

Sonic Rush is personally my favoourite Sonic, mainly because I can easily jump right into a level and quickly get my rhythm, and it's a great feeling. I really do love this game and endorse this thread 100%.

rubso

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Greater than the Wii version? Definitely, without a doubt. The Wii game, imo, is still very fun, though.

Greater than the...er, other version?

There couldn't possibly be a greater discrepancy in terms of quality than those two games. That's like saying Raging Bull is even better than Caddyshack II.
:lol Caddyshack II sucks.
When I played the new "Sonic The Hedgehog", I was like "WTF is this sh*t, Where is my sonic?" but hey, that doesn't mean It's Unplayable.

Great game. Immense sence of speed, just running through the levels, nice level design (apart from a few neverendig falls). Loooooove the music. Blaze doesn't bring anything new though, and the story is very stupid, but I'm not that picky on the story aspect cause this type of game doesn't need it + it could have been a lot worse (cfr. Sonic the Hedgehog).

I need to pick this game up again, but after trying to beat the final boss for like 30 times I quit. I just don't see how you can beat him. I know you have to run on his arms to his head and smash him there, but that only works the first 2 times, cause after that it all goes way to fast. And I have no clue how to avoid the attacks from him. I'm always dead after his first attempt to hit me. :'(

DKnight said:
Blaze sucks too.

Only if you browse fchan.
Sonic Rush was pretty awesome, I really liked the first few worlds. But then it kinda went all bottomless pit of death crazy, and that rocket level was terrible. The music was bloody outstanding, especially Wrapped in Black. I hope they don't completely bugger up Rush Adventure. :(

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
Rlan said:

THANK YOU. I can't believe I haven't tried that but I will dig it out and give it a go.

Rlan said:

Couldn't agree more.

Rlan said:

Sonic Rush is an excellent game. There are some problems, which I hope will be fixed in the final game:

I kind of liked the enemy rooms. It's something fresh for the Sonic franchise, and it was mindless fun blasting through all of those enemies with Y/X.

I am worried that Sonic Rush Adventure is going to have a lot of those sections that alter the gameplay (Sonic Team USA loves doing this kind of shit). I didn't mind them in the original as they were a nice change of pace. I just hope they're kept to a minimum.

jarrod

Banned
pleasing visuals, decent physics, abortive structure/design, stunning soundtrack.

Hopefully they've *really* dropped DIMPS this time....

Octagon

It is one of my favorite Sonic games from the last few years. When i first played it, i instantly hated the music. After a while i got to like it.

Plus...
I must be one of the few people out there who doesn't mind Sonic getting new friends every installment. I could even go so far and say that i like most of them.
Blaze is kewl!

Tailzo

~Devil Trigger~ said:
cant wait for Rush 2

I acyually enjoyed Sonic Rush more than New Super Mario
I did too, even if NSMB may deserve a higher note for being a lot "meatier". Sonic Rush doesn't have many levels, compared to NSMB. I still played Sonic Rush a lot more than I played NSMB, though.

Seraph830

Banned
I've always wanted to try Sonic Rush, but I cant get myself to buy it because it looks alot like the Sonic Advance series and I didnt like SA.

Convince me GAF. I loved Sonic 2 and 3.

The bosses pissed me off so much. But in a good way.
It's the first Sonic game that I've played where the bosses made me go AAAAARGASL;KFSALDFJSDLFHSADF!1!11!!!!! ... And I loved that. I had never screamed outloud while playing a handheld and this game made me do it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
CurseoftheGods said:
+Challenging.]

Not really, I wish there was an hard mode to be unlocked and some bonuses too... gettin' the ranks wouls be more enjoyable with some kind of online ledearboards and some extras to unlock.
Btw, I truly loved this game, I just fear the "Adventure" suffix of the sequel...

Top Bottom