• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest game ever that features giant robots and ends with the letter W (review)

Bebpo

Banned
61-XeJHEZNL._SS400_.jpg

Super Robot Wars/Taisen W

Cast List:
--GaoGaiGar -> GGG Final
--Tekkaman Blade -> TB II
--Nadesico -> Nadesico PoD
--Gundam SEED Astray, Astray R, Astray X/ Gundam SEED
--Go lion/Voltron
--Full Metal Panic!
--MazinKaiser
--Getter Robo G
--Shin Getter Robo
--Detonator Orgun
--Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

And cool Banpresto originals like these:
valhawk.jpg

alumarcus.jpg

Some attack vids:
Orgun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Cj_cSj_q4&mode=related&search=
FMP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxqvNsokC7U&mode=related&search=
FMP Bonta-kun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-AOn7oOuwI&mode=related&search=
Gensic GaoGaiGar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RnA4f2jNTU&mode=related&search=
Banpresto Original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jkGyUTE-Zk&mode=related&search=

---
Ok, so finished this last night after about 50-70 hours gametime (animations set "off" after seeing them once or twice). I'd picked up a few of the earlier SRW games but they were just so massively long (100 hours+) that I never found time to play them. Being handheld, W was easier to get into since it's an incredibly addicting game and at the time when I got it I was doing a lot of long train rides/plane flights in Japan. Took me from early April to last night to get through with casual amounts of playing.

Story
--------------
In an industry full of weak rpg/s-rpg plots where we make excuses "but the battle system rocks!", it's nice to play an srpg with a story that keeps you interested. Sure they kind of cheat by taking all these already written great characters/plots/events and writing them into their original story...but regardless of their methods, the end result is one of the most epic tales out there involving multiple factions, planets, and universes.

There's usually about 20 mins of dialogue before a mission, 5-10 mins during a missions, and 10-20 post-mission, which adds up to A LOT of story. All told, out of the 1-2 hours each of the games 55 missions take, at least 50% if not 70% of that time is just reading dialogue (which on the other hand means if you skip all the dialogue the game is quite a bit shorter!).

Still, the dialogue is great and it does a good enough job that if you haven't seen some of the anime it covers, the script will do a good enough job portraying it that you won't have to see it, but will be knowledgable about it. Though all told, the characters and sections from shows you have seen will likely be your favorites.

Gameplay
Fun! Though from what I've heard it's the easiest of the SRW games. Basically it's near impossible to die, but if you play it Fire Emblem style and reset when losing a unit (no perm death, but you do lose $$$), then there's enough challenge trying to make it through each map without anyone getting destroyed.

It's different from most srpgs because you pretty much only have 5 types of units in the game:
--Super Robo Tank (big dudes with high def who can't dodge but can take tons of hits)
--Real Robos (little dudes who dodge 90% of the time but die in 1 hit)
--Snipers (guys who can't move and attack in the same turn)
--Healers (guys who heal and restore EN (MP))
--Battleships (big things with tons of HP that all the enemies concentrate on. They suck at attacking but have great support skills)

And with ~70 unique units of all kinds, it's up to you to basically mix and match your own teams of these 5 groups, to make the most efficient killing group of 20 or so.

The most important aspect of playing the game are the "seishin" or skills that you activate with SP. These do things like make the unit only take 1/4th damage for a round (great for tanks), or up the dodge/accuracy by 30% for a round (great for real robots), or do 2x damage once, or always critical attacks for a round, etc...

The gameflow is all about managing your usage of seishin as, for example, once your real robots run out of SP for dodge up 30% when up against a boss...well, since they die in one hit, if their dodge rate is only 50%...it's bad. Same thing when your super robots (who often have terribly accuracy) run out of SP for "accuracy always 100%" and then they're having a 6% chance of hitting the boss. So since maps have tons of enemies and multiple bosses, management of SP is really the most important part of the gameplay.

Another thing that's important is the counter attack that's done FE style after enemies attack you. By sticking a extremely high DEF tank up front with 100% aim accuracy and good attacks, you can kill most of the small enemies without using a single turn just by letting him counter the enemy's attacks.

Now you can equip some equipment, up pilot stats (accuracy, close range damage, shooting damage, etc...), up mech stats (weapons, HP, armor, etc...), which also play into gameplay decisions as do team attacks when certain units are near each other.

Graphics
------------------
Simply said, the graphics in W are amazing and by far the best graphics on the DS outside FFXII:RW during battle animations. Hell, the sprites may be less detailed, but they animate even better than some of the PS2 SRW games! (see youtube links above for example).

Watching the animations is awesome and each map you gain new units or new attacks or new upgrades, which all translates to a constant flurry of new animations. So not only are you hooked on the story and want to see what's next, but you're also hooked on the animations and want to see the new ones on the next map. There are probably (enemies included) about 100+ units in the game, each with 3-8 attacks. That's a lot of cool animations.

One thing that I hear W added, WHICH IS AWESOME is that tons of movies have finishing animations, meaning if you kill an enemy (not injure them) with a specific attack, the attack animation will change and become even more awesome. For example if normally you rush in and slash an enemy and fly away, on a finishing version you might rush in and slash through an enemy, pause, spin your sword around and sheath it, then the enemy explodes into a mushroom nuke cloud, and then you fly away. Because of this not only do you want to see all the animations (plus combination attack animations), but you want to see the finishing versions of all the ones that have them.

Character portraits on the map are great and detailed, and the 2d cut-ins look good as well.

Sound
---------------
First let's get the bad out of the way: There are no voices. Well, normally SRW games even on consoles don't have full voice acting because there are like 3 million lines of dialogue in each game. But still, they usually have all the yelling and roaring that goes along with moves and W (like the other portable SRWs) lacks that. It's a little sad, but you just have to yell and roar outloud instead. Nothing like yelling HIKARI NI NARE!!! on a crowded train. Hopefully the next DS SRW features voice since the 1gig carts should be large enough to support voice.

Now, OTOH, the music in the game is AMAZINGLY AWESOME. Hell, if they released this stuff on cds you'd have the gaming ost of the year, easy. Not only do you get the main theme of all these classic shows (some which had excellent music), but you get unique songs for certain attacks, unique songs for each unit, unique songs for story points. Heck, there are like 10 instrumental versions of major vocal songs for all the series. You even get 2 of Hirasawa Susumu's Detonator Orgun EDs and a few SEED vocals. So, so awesome. I was singing theme songs along with my attacks by the end.

Replay
---------------
Ummm...the game is already way too long (and it's one of the shorter ones) at 50-70 hours. Yet, if you do a 2nd play the game slightly changes here and there and so some people will want to keep on playing. But everyone else will just move to the next SRW. You definitely get your money's worth though.

Negatives
---------------
My only major issue with the game, which is an issue in all SRW games is that there are lots of branching plots. Basically the game will split up every 5-10 missions and you choose a direction and do 2-3 maps with that story and then rejoin. The problem is that sometimes you miss some great stuff story-wise by not going the other way.

This is supposed to be for the replay value, but most people have lives and aren't going to replay a 60 hour game to see a handful of maps they missed the first time around.

So what happens? Well you basically pick a side and play through it for a few hours, then once you join up you reset and load your pre-branch save and then go the other way and keep playing until the next branch. Basically you play all the missions in the game, except you don't get any exp/money/kills/equip for a handful of them. Since most gamers will want to know what happens in ALL THE MAPS, they really should just make the gameflow linear with all the maps in a single playthrough and all the story.

This is most annoying at the end when it's like "You've just spent 50 hours following the story of characters A and B. Would you like to: See the end of A's story and miss the end of B's story, or vice-versa". No one is going to want to miss out on the ending of either plot, so they're pretty much forced to beat one and reset and do the other. Lame.

Overall
----------------
Super Robot Wars W is an awesome game and from what I've read and played, probably the best introduction anyone could have for getting into the franchise. It's fast, great looking, a bit easy, not 100 hours long, and has an awesome cast list. While it's more enjoyable if you can read the 30 hours of dialogue in the game and really get into the story and characters, even for those who don't know any Japanese the game should be a lot of fun, especially if you know some of the units. Since the DS is region-free, the game is highly recommended to all fans of giant robots wherever they maybe and whatever language they make speak. SRW W has hooked me on the series, and now I'll definitely be there for PS2's OGs in a few weeks :D

Souther

Banned
Yeah the game looks pretty awesome.

And i have to say that i am really happy i eventually found out about the SRW series and learnt how to play it..

I've played SRW @2, MX and @3 without much problems at all.

Yes, its too bad that there is no voices during battle...sure its usually only crazy yelling...But part of the charm of the SRW series is the Hotbloodedness of thier attacks...

Charaters like God Gundum, Raideen and Shin Getter come to mind.

Good stuff. and good review!

Souther

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I hate giant robots and anything they have to do with anime and toku.

if thats the case why did you even post here? What really was the point?

I always find it wierd how people like posting in topics they don't like, letting us know about it like we care.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I really like about SRW is that it increases your general love and knowledge of giant robots as you play them. Especially since it makes you want to watch some classics you may not have seen.

Playing W got me to finish up GGG and GGG Final because I didn't want the game to spoil the plot events for me. It also got me to watch Detonator Orgun OAV, which I got years ago for like $5 at a sale and never watched. Then in the recent Rightstuf.com sale I saw the Mazinkaiser OAVs and was like "Mazinkaiser is awesome in W, I would like to see him animated" and so I picked up the 2 dvds and plan to watch them soon.

It's also a great refresher for anime/manga you've watched/read but it's been so long you've forgotten their plot points. I've read all the Astray manga but the plot did not stick with me at all, so W did a great job at reminding me of what's going on so I can get around to reading Delta Astray. Also when I saw Nadesico Prince of Darkness back in the day I think my mind must have tried to erase it, so W reminded me of why the plot in PoD is terrible.

Gilgamesh said:
No Macross... you lie, OP.

Name a better game that has Macross and ends with the letter W?

John Harker said:
yes, but how did it sell?

What do you think this forum is? Sales-age?

...oh wait, don't answer that. >_<

M3wThr33

Banned
pic_podbay03.jpg

Virtual World had the world's best game that featured giant robots and HAD the letter W.
Getting in those pods, even with the dated graphics, you felt like you were in a mech causing havoc. I still have my old pilot card.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
M3wThr33 said:
pic_podbay03.jpg

Virtual World had the world's best game that featured giant robots and HAD the letter W.
Getting in those pods, even with the dated graphics, you felt like you were in a mech causing havoc. I still have my old pilot card.

But it doesn't END with the letter W.

Btw, the new Gundam arcade sim uses similar pods, the graphics aren't dated, and it rocks. So yea, Virtual World has been surpassed. Sorry!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I was going to import this, but it was too expensive back then (60 bucks!) anyway....

SRW OGS for PS2 goty.

oh christ, that animation is SICK.

I wonder if a SRW DS game will ever have VA.

M3wThr33

Banned
thetrin said:
But it doesn't END with the letter W.

Btw, the new Gundam arcade sim uses similar pods, the graphics aren't dated, and it rocks. So yea, Virtual World has been surpassed. Sorry!

How many people can it support?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
sp0rsk said:
It's online 4v4

I've been highly contemplating getting OG, I guess I will.

It would be a crime not to!

tnw

Banned
ugh, i don't like mecha culture here. The kids have it on their shoes and shit.

My friend had a PS2, and I was digging though his games, and flippin gundam popped up. I was like WTF is this?

It was his girlfriend's game. She thinks gundam is kakkoii. *rolls eyes*

Bebpo

Banned
tnw said:

My friend had a PS2, and I was digging though his games, and flippin gundam popped up. I was like WTF is this?

"..."

Gundam is kakkoii. Char Aznable is the coolest character ever and no man or woman can resist his appeal. Heck, we almost got a Char cosplayer in space!

Regardless of its trendyness, anyone who doesn't like Gundam just hasn't seen enough.

PS. Between the Id@lmaster thread and this, it seems like you hate all Japanese pop culture. I'd suggest being more open minded and seeing 'why' it is people enjoy some of this stuff instead of blanketing entire genre with your experience of one or two things that you didn't enjoy.

tnw

Banned
After being here for 6 years, I know pretty well what I do and don't like about Japan, and where to find more things I like and what to ignore.

And the like list is pretty darn long.

Unfortunately my 'like' appreciation threads rocket to the bottom of the heap because almost no one on gaf really likes the same things I do, or it takes about 20 posts of explaining before the tide turns for people to be able to understand it (see my Murakami Takashi Louis Vuitton video thread)

I like things that represent, to me anyway I realize it might be subjective, the 'yosa' &#33391;&#12373; of Japan.

Mechs, crappy j-pop, katsu curry, are all the complete rot of this country. It's connected to an underlying fabric that I think marginialized the country and some other stuff that is too far off topic to get into here.

thetrin

tnw said:

I know plenty of hot chicks that think gundam is kakoii. It`s quite possibly the hottest ****ing thing ever.

Shouta

tnw said:
I like things that represent, to me anyway I realize it might be subjective, the 'yosa' &#33391;&#12373; of Japan.

Do you really need to use Japanese terms when there's an equivalent translation? It's like throwing acid into my eyes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
no tekkaman and voltron/golion animations vids on youtube :(

and rollseyes at tnw, behind the robots skin there is a very deep strategy game. the fact that the game have huge robots beating the crap out of each is just a bonus (a huge bonus that is :D)

Hydro_Alexis said:
This is game is full of awesome! has there ever been an english version?

Due to licensing issues, we'll probably never get the anime-based SRW games in North America. We did, however, get the two Original Generation games on the GBA, courtesty of Atlus.

thetrin

hirokazu said:
which SRW games have Evangelions and are those ones specifically any good?

I don't know about all the SRW games, but I know for sure that Eva is in SRW MX for PS2, and it's a fantastic game.

tnw said:
Mechs, crappy j-pop, katsu curry, are all the complete rot of this country. It's connected to an underlying fabric that I think marginialized the country and some other stuff that is too far off topic to get into here.

This is the second time you've given us your thesis on the corruption of traditional japanese culture.

What you completely miss is that it's as much a part of Japanese culture as hanafuda, okonomiyaki and sumi-e. You may not enjoy it, but it's becoming a bit grating that you even look down at japanese people who enjoy this stuff. You're like that old man who goes back to work for his company after retirement, because the new post retirement world placed before him is too scary and new to bear.

(and from what I know, you're one of those gaijin that hates other gaijin. chill dude, just because we enjoy mechs doesn't mean we can't enjoy traditional japanese fare as well)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
tnw said:

Great, so you enter a thread about Super ROBOT War to post here. GTFO troll.

Anyways, great impressions Bebop. The animations look awesome. However, when they start looking that good, I start missing the VA. =(

I mean, when I'm sitting there reciting the lines, I know I miss the VA =(

"Gadget Tool! HELL AND HEAVEN!

"Swan-kun! The key entrusted to you by the UN General!"
"Yes, sir!"
"In the name of human wisdom and the oath of courage. OPERATION GOLDION CRUSHER! APPROVED! THIS IS THE KEY TO VICTORY!!!"
"CRUSHER CONNECT!"
"GOLDION CRUSHER!!!"
"HIKARI NI....NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

GGG Final is ****ing pimp.

ivysaur12 said:
I hate giant robots and anything they have to do with anime and toku.
And now I hate you, but you don't know that since you're banned.

I just don't understand people who don't love giant robots. I can kinda understand why people don't like stuff like Super Sentai, but Ultimate Daibouken was awesome. And the many forms of GekiTouja are turning out to be pretty cool.

I've loved Super Sentai and Kamen Rider since I first saw Kabuto and Magiranger

Anyway, I hate that we'll never get an English version of this game. =( They need to figure out how to get some non-OG SRWs over here without getting raped by licensing fees.

Kintaro

Juwanna Peezadis said:
Anyway, I hate that we'll never get an English version of this game. =( They need to figure out how to get some non-OG SRWs over here without getting raped by licensing fees.

Only real way is for the developer to get worldwide rights to use the anime likeness/etc for video games. Then Altus or w/e can just act as publisher in the US/etc.

Bebpo

Banned
Kintaro said:
Only real way is for the developer to get worldwide rights to use the anime likeness/etc for video games. Then Altus or w/e can just act as publisher in the US/etc.

I was thinking though, that maybe Banpresto should just release it in the US themselves? Just add a "worldwide" clause to the existing contract and sell them without a seperate US publisher.

Bebpo said:
I was thinking though, that maybe Banpresto should just release it in the US themselves? Just add a "worldwide" clause to the existing contract and sell them without a seperate US publisher.

i dont think that works because of the way licensing is done for the shows in the US, pure speculation, but i'd imagine merch rights are usually included in the show licensing deals, therefore causing legal issues with US right holders for those particular shows.

Souther

Banned
If they somehow found a way to include Transformers in a SRW game then it would be absolutely the greatest game ever

Kintaro

pancakesandsex said:
i dont think that works because of the way licensing is done for the shows in the US, pure speculation, but i'd imagine merch rights are usually included in the show licensing deals, therefore causing legal issues with US right holders for those particular shows.

Yeah, but you can always try to get it written into contracts if they REALLY wanted it. Have it say "Use of blah blah for Super Robot series of video games for video games consoles, etc"

Just something to make sure Super Robot Wars could make it out, and other companies can make their own games if they want as well. It's not like SRW does any anime it uses a disservice, far from it.

Would be nice... =(

Top Bottom