• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deceiving Topic Titles Are Really Bad, Send in the Cats!

Ikaris

Normally I have....... questionable opinions on Sony's strategy with the PS3.

However, one thing I can't deny is that it seems to me that the Xbox 360 is having a lot more hardware failures than the PS3...

I haven't heard about many (if at all) PS3s that had to be sent back.

Yes, there are more Xbox 360s out there on the market...

Can someone prove me otherwise ?

Your thoughts ?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've had one of each break. While I believe the PS3 is better made, I don't believe that it's quite as reliable as rumor says.

And no, no one can prove anything yet.

Ploid 3.0

Someone's PS3 couldn't get out of the firmware update because they didn't have the usb cord. And someone else usb ports didn't work or something. So he couldn't get out of the firmware update. Also anyone who ever lose power or pull the plug while the PS3 is updating firmware would probably end up bricking.

Ikaris

On the same vein...

what about Wii failures ?

Anyone have one ?

I know a guy at my office whos Wii got bricked after upgrading the firmware, a few days after launch :(

Other than that, I haven't heard about any Wii failures.

Mau ®

There have been a few PS3 deaths here in GAF. There is a thread about dead PS3s but is not as big as the X360 thread.

The PS3 is quite reliable IMO. Sony's bad hardware is a thing of the past. The PS2 may had been faulty as hell but the PSP and PS3 have been very reliable IMO.

Ikaris said:
On the same vein...

Anyone have one ?

I know a guy at my office whos Wii got bricked after upgrading the firmware, a few days after launch :(

You should read GAF. Wii was a piece of shit around launch and going online was akin to tossing it out a window. PS3 has occasional problems, especially when left on for months at a time. (OMG THINGS BREAK)

Ikaris said:
However, I'm a social kind of mood :D
ohgod.jpg

dfyb

Banned
Ikaris said:
Normally I have....... questionable opinions on Sony's strategy with the PS3.

However, one thing I can't deny is that it seems to me that the Xbox 360 is having a lot more hardware failures than the PS3...

I haven't heard about many (if at all) PS3s that had to be sent back.

Yes, there are more Xbox 360s out there on the market...

Can someone prove me otherwise ?

Your thoughts ?
every electronic device will have lemons, and ps3 is no exception. so far it seems ps3 is well within the normal, acceptable rates.

360 has issues beyond the normal, acceptable rates.

_Angelus_

Banned
chubigans said:
Really, nothing can be compared to the failure rates of the 360. Absolutely nothing.

When me and 4 other friends had PSX machines that had to be flipped on their sides that was pretty awful.

Actually I went through 4 PSX machines within a 5 year span. First they'd skip or levels would freeze while loading. You'd have to flip it on its back,it helped some but eventually all the console could do was play music CDs and it was over...another dead PSX. So yeah PSX hardware was pretty awful the first 3 or 4 years. 360 is well known for its troubles ofcourse,but back in the PSX era many of us weren't even on the net,so ofcourse we didn't hear that many horror stories as we do with the 360 today.

My 360 is still going strong,so for my money the PSX was the worst console as far as durability goes.

Bildi

Admittedly the 360 failures are far beyond anything previously experienced and I doubt the PS3 or Wii can match it. But it's still early days for those other consoles so in six months or a year's time things might be different. Seems unlikely though since neither has shown any ridiculous level of failure and its been seven or so months.

Ikaris

I changed the title...

the reason I didn't use "Playstation 3 vs Xbox 360" in the title is because I didn't want this to because a war.

Edit: Hmm, no I did not change the title actually... wtf ?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't know how reliable ps3 will prove in the long term, but they seem to have put some work into cooling and airflow. at least relative to 360. which is a timebomb.

seems like overheating wii gpus are pretty common -- that's surprising given its ultra-low specifications and nintendo's track record.

Brofist

I had to send mine back. It really was my fault though, I moved it to a cramped place, and it overheated. Sony Japan's service was great, had it back in 2 days. They paid shipping both ways.

Ploid 3.0

Bildi said:
Admittedly the 360 failures are far beyond anything previously experienced and I doubt the PS3 or Wii can match it. But it's still early days for those other consoles so in six months or a year's time things might be different. Seems unlikely though since neither has shown any ridiculous level of failure and its been seven or so months.

+ some people hardly turn their ps3 off. I almost always have mine on like a pc, but less. The resistance guy that stayed in resistance online for the clan matches now fold all the time until a clan match or something. One guy had a failed PS3 that ran folding for 2-3months straight or something while he was on vacation I think.

The Jer

Ploid 3.0 said:
+ some people hardly turn their ps3 off. I almost always have mine on like a pc, but less. The resistance guy that stayed in resistance online for the clan matches now fold all the time until a clan match or something. One guy had a failed PS3 that ran folding for 2-3months straight or something while he was on vacation I think.

Patsu is the "resistance guy" who's kept his on since launch and he's been folding.

soco

judging by threads here and elsewhere it seems as if the 360's hardware failure rate is significantly higher, but it's obviously anecdotal evidence. if you can accept anecdotal evidence, then you're golden, otherwise you're not gonna find much in the way of solid proof until MS or someone related to the repair process releases numbers. (perhaps some brick&mortar keeps numbers of returned units and one day they'll get leaked)

there's little point of proving otherwise to you, but also we can't even 'prove' that you're correct. funny how that works.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ikaris said:
I changed the title...

the reason I didn't use "Playstation 3 vs Xbox 360" in the title is because I didn't want this to because a war.

Edit: Hmm, no I did not change the title actually... wtf ?
only mods/admins can change thread titles

back in the day, you would see polls asking:

Have you ever considered selling your Dreamcast?
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Only after some drinks.

After 30 or so votes the thread title would magickally change to:

Have you ever let a horse take you up the bum?
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Only after some drinks.

complete with the OP calling everyone a sick ****

Bildi

Ploid 3.0 said:
I am largely talking out my ass here, but that might help PS3's survive also. 360's have a cheap MB and in the PC world I know that excessive heat>cool>heat>cool cycles can kill really cheap MB's.

Leaving 360's on would possibly help them live longer.

chubigans said:
Really, nothing can be compared to the failure rates of the 360. Absolutely nothing.

Well, to be fair Sony is the only company settle a class action lawsuit over faulty hardware but I do believe MS is right behind them on this one.

Triz

Ikaris said:
On the same vein...

Anyone have one ?

My Wii croaked right out of the gate...my launch 360 died memorial day (just got it back) and my PS3 has been ok until the last patch where every time i turn it on it ****s up my network.

ascii42

The PS3 seems pretty reliable so far. Though what have we come to that we think the PS3 is reliable after only 7 months on the market.

PS2s took much longer than this to crap out, generally.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ploid 3.0 said:
There is something strangely entertaining about console death threads where people start by touting the reliability of their console. I guess that is just the schadenfreude.

Top Bottom