• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia: A Present Past.

"I call upon thee in the land of the dead to unleash thy fury of thunder.
Indignation!"

What one game defined the GameCube and proved that third parties could succeed on a Nintendo system? What one game gave an true epic adventure spanned over 2 discs and 40 hours? What one game inspired an OVA that went beyond just the game?
61tvcm1.jpg

This one game was the utmost defining game on the game cube solely from a third party studio. Many people were excited for the game and it utterly delivered.

Going beyond turn based battles and sticking to the formula refined in other games in the "Tales of:"" series, the game boasted gorgeous cel shading, entrancing music and a very in depth game world. In fact it was nothing short of the so called "Nintendo magic".

And this would be seen with sales totaling over 1.2million world wide. And over 100k in the Americas in its first week.

But what gave this game so much? Was it just the name? Or was it something more?
The Tales of Series has been know for it's tight and fast paced game play. Rather then just controlling characters in a purely 3D space, the game offered players the idea of true multiplayer with friends in a side viewed battlefield.
4v8o5cp.jpg

Coupled with incredible and unique "Compound EX skills" which allowed characters to link their own techniques together to deliver astonishing attacks with gorgeous graphics. It was truly the first and unfortunately last multi player RPG for the Game Cube.
No man can live without water. And as such, no game can be alive without music. With the likes of the Final Fantasies, Halo's and more; the game managed to deliver superb and crisp sounds that brought the worlds of Tethella and Sylvarant together.
Beat the Angels: Fight with Mithos
Battle with Abyssions, hardest enemy in the game. Very nice music.
Unlike other games which force a player to choose one path and follow it through, Tales of Symphonia allowed players to choose either T or S(Technical or Strike) skill trees and expand from those to suit the players unique tastes and combination attacks.
4pvyscw.jpg

6copcuw.jpg

The Game also boasted a costume segment which allowed players to travel all over the world to find each unique costume, some offering bonus stats and always memorable dialogue.
689l194.jpg

Titles. One of the greatest part of the game. Titles allowed players to equip each character with a unique title which could be gained by doing side quests or participating in certain events. These were used as the stat bonus's and as a character leveled up, the title they wore affected what stats were grown.

Massive amounts of choice, maximum amount of replay value. With amazing character design by Kosuke Fujishima and plentiful amounts of "game" to satisfy even the most jaded of gamers.

And now there's a sequel. Off to a promising start? Not really. But one can dream!
4xzt8io.jpg

Tales of Symphonia Skills Exhibition]Amazing trailer that gives you a feel for the music and pace of the game.
Audio: Zips
Artist: T.M Revolution(Yes him)

"Sacred Powers, cast your purifying light upon these corrupt souls. Rest in
Peace, Sinners! Judgement!"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tales of Symphonia was the GameCube's Final Fantasy 7....it really didn't contribute to anything else

Drakken

Um, Symphonia's music fit the game well, but in no way should it be compared to Final Fantasy's. They're on totally different tiers.

Just saying. But yes, as a GameCube owner, Symphonia was a wonderful and welcome title.

grandjedi6 said:
Tales of Symphonia was the GameCube's Final Fantasy 7....it really didn't contribute to anything else
Yeah it's true. I really enjoyed the game and I went and bought another copy just 2 months ago. Really great, to bad Nintendo couldn't recover. I'm really hoping for some money hats from Nintendo for more great games like this.

Speevy said:
Wow, your post is amazing. It made me forget that I actually played the game you're talking about.
:lol

Duderz

Banned
Funny that this thread came up, as I'm just now trying to finish my file for the third time since I bought the game when it came out. :p

ToS was a great game, I actually dont remember much about it anymore (which is kinda strange), but I do remember really enjoying it.

You guys are such whores, always dissing my pictures :mad: Okay I'll change them for just you guys. Pfft.

I didn't want to make the post to big since it would be to distracting. But I digress you people sitting in front of your 50inch tv's are probably half blind by now :/

Anyway like I said. This game was awesome and just like Smash Melee I still play it every other day, I have a save file in front of abyssion just to always get that rush. AAA+

Nintendo needs to get on the ball.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss are my two favorite RPGs. Simple reason, both games have a focus on gameplay, design, and replayability that few RPGs can match. In a genre that's traditionally been so focused on story telling, that's a huge breath of fresh air. Stories are great and all, but I play games to play them, not watch them. Huge reason why I am not interested in traditional RPGs and why I vastly preferred the original Kingdom Hearts to its sequel.

I think it's bogus that Tales games generally score in the 8's by reviewers. They're always comparing the series to Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy despite the fact that other RPGs are generally judged upon their own merits.

mutsu

I agree that Tales of Symphonia is a great game.

But I also think Baten Kaitos exceeds Tales of Symphonia by about 10 fold.

fernoca

CrushDance said:
Nintendo needs to get on the ball.
Nah!
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is coming this year and Tales of Symphonia 2 is coming next...I guess that's going to last you 'till WiiHDToo. :D

Kevtones

Despite the pic issues, good call Crush.

ToS is a great game. As someone who considers himself a seasoned RPG player, it was a breath of fresh air. Sure it had cliche characters/storyline, but the charm was strong, and the presentation was phenomenal. The whole atmosphere of the game reminded me of Skies of Arcadia in many respects, something I cherish about both games. Can't wait for the sequel.

Speevy said:
You know what Speevy? You're a true asshole, that's what.:lol

To the "omg givemmee art pleasee" people. Give me 2 minutes, uploading all of them now. I have higher quality pics then the one posted above.

Speevy

Banned
I'm just kidding around with you, Crushdance. Everyone has their favorite games. As for Tales of Symphonia, it's actually a nice, content-packed adventure that I'd recommend to someone who's looking for a Gamecube game to play.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Thanks, you are the man :D
There's a 1115x864 one + many more art uploading. Not to take away from Farore of course =)
Speevy said:
I'm just kidding around with you, Crushdance. Everyone has their favorite games. As for Tales of Symphonia, it's actually a nice, content-packed adventure that I'd recommend to someone who's looking for a Gamecube game to play.
I know that, I wasn't taking you seriously :p

fernoca

Crush, is this your gaming set-up?
4pumhy0.jpg

:D

Anyway, I've been hearing many great things about it..lately for some weird reason..I found the game new for $19....maybe I should go give it a try..

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
legend166 said:
1.2 million sales worldwide, and yet they didn't release another Tales game on the GCN.

Namco are so freaking stupid.

That is why they learned their lesson and made the Wii the lead console for tales games....oh wait.....

:lol

ezekial45

Banned
Great game. The GC really deserved another game like it.

By the way,
Kratos or Zelos. Which one did you like more?

ezekial45 said:
Great game. The GC really deserved another game like it.

By the way,
Kratos or Zelos. Which one did you like more?
I chose Zelos, well I have two save files:D Kratos sounds great when using judgment. Zelos is just funny heh.

Edit: What are you people talking about? No that's not my gaming setup. But it looks great.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
God I loved Tales of Symphonia, my favorite RPG from last generation!

Of course I hated Final Fantasy XII so I think my opinion doesn't count with most people :(

It had just enough side stuff you could do it in a REASONABLE amount of time without resorting to a cheat-sheet (I'm looking at you FFX!):lol

ZealousD said:
Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss are my two favorite RPGs. Simple reason, both games have a focus on gameplay, design, and replayability that few RPGs can match. In a genre that's traditionally been so focused on story telling, that's a huge breath of fresh air. Stories are great and all, but I play games to play them, not watch them. Huge reason why I am not interested in traditional RPGs and why I vastly preferred the original Kingdom Hearts to its sequel.

I think it's bogus that Tales games generally score in the 8's by reviewers. They're always comparing the series to Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy despite the fact that other RPGs are generally judged upon their own merits.
You and me, Zealous.

We're like this. *crosses fingers*

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
lsslave said:
God I loved Tales of Symphonia, my favorite RPG from last generation!

Of course I hated Final Fantasy XII so I think my opinion doesn't count with most people :(

It had just enough side stuff you could do it in a REASONABLE amount of time without resorting to a cheat-sheet (I'm looking at you FFX!):lol

I would put symphonia behind Tales of the Abyss and FFX, but it is up there as one of my favorite games last gen.

It had a cliched storyline that had every damn cliche in the book, but it was a damn fine game. As someone previously said, it had cliches but on the whole it had heart and soul which made it better than most RPG's out there.

Top Bottom