• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox overtakes Wii As Most Searched for Console, first time since launch of Wii

FrankT

The Xbox 360 has overtaken the Nintendo Wii as the most searched for gaming console based on share of US Internet searches for the first time since the Wii’s launch in November 2006. The Xbox 360 is #1 console based on sales volume but the Wii has enjoyed the fastest growth in market share. We often find that Internet searches are a leading indicator and can be predictive of future sales growth.

Searches can also be driven by other factors – namely recalls. So is the growth in searches for Xbox 360 simply a result of the recent “warranty extension” and “Red Ring of Death”? Hitwise search data indicates it is not. The following table lists the top search terms entered into search engines in the past four weeks that include the words “xbox 360”:

Searches for “xbox 360 problems” and “xbox 360 repair” figure at #13 and #15 on the list. I found the term “xbox 360 price drop” (#6 on the list above) particularly interesting. Since Sony announced a drop in price for one of the PS3 models two weeks ago, rumours have spread about a possible price drop for the Xbox 360, with the latest rumours predicting a price drop in August.

Demand is high for a price drop - in the past four weeks, the top search term with the words “price drop” was “xbox 360 price drop”. There were 70% more US searches for “xbox 360 price drop” than for “ps3 price drop”.

So what is driving the increase in searches for Xbox 360? It appears to be a combination of hype for new games, rumours of a price drop and no doubt some queries about the recent problems.

December may be months away, but with PwC predicting that the total number of dollars spent on video games will exceed the total dollars spent on music in the United States by the end of the holiday season, the battle for the must have Christmas gift will no doubt centre once again on gaming.

http://weblogs.hitwise.com/bill-tancer/2007/07/xbox_overtakes_wii_as_most_sea.html

Next-gen is back.

Graphs/charts@link.

fernoca

Yeah...
-Xbox 360 Help
-Xbox 360 Help: 3 red lights
-Xbox 360 Help: It's turning off itself!!!
-Xbox 360 Help: I can't connect to Live!!!
-Xbox 360 Help Center

Sharp

Halo 3 will be massive. We knew that already, but this (sorta) confirms it. I think a lot of people are gonna jump in for a $299 360 with Halo 3. I don't think it'll ultimately pass the Wii in sales, but I definitely think it will give the 360 a much-needed, possibly permanent hardware bump.

Edit: Wait, I just read the article. What a load of crap. All that's been going on is that the searches for "Wii" finally declined enough for the 360 to overtake them.

soco

everyone's been searching to find the new August 8th 50$ price drop rumour!

do these metrics really do anyone any good? i get the impression that they're only for press releases where they need a bit of extra spin.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
People are stupid, just really, really, stupid. Who the hell goes on to Google and searches for 'Xbox'?

Why not just stick .com at the end?

See, my girly thing is just as annoying as this. I see her searching for shops, which should could quite easily just stick a .com or .co.uk at the end of. But noooooo. And in Firefox it's even easier, because just typing some words in the address bar and hitting enter brings up the 'I'm Feeling Lucky' result from Google, which is 99% of the time the website said people are looking for.

Sometimes I think I'm the only intelligent person on the internetz. :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Next Up: British study reveals more people think about PS3 than Wii! In their brain!

Lobster

Banned
Just saying guys. Xbox comes up with everything about Xbox. 360 comes up with everything do with 360..

But very good news. I blame Wii Fit for the Wii losing.

rakka said:
PS3 overtakes Wii As Most Searched for Console, first time since launch of Wii would have been better I know

What the f**k. Do you horses have nothing better else to do other then to jump someone on the back the minute he says something?

Jesus, yes, I know that I only own a Ps3 and I'm a Sony fan but come on.

This is really nothing. This is no news. It's weaksauce. This thread will be the usual GAf sales argumentative thread.

HAL_Laboratory said:
Wow, and I thought Sony fans were reaching. :lol

Like the smallest bit of wii news isn't posted? Did you see Nintendo's youtube celebration at e3?

Sure this is nothing but we see nothing from all camps daily so don't pretend otherwise.

FortunateSon said:
What the f**k. Do you horses have nothing better else to do other then to jump someone on the back the minute he says something?

Jesus, yes, I know that I only own a Ps3 and I'm a Sony fan but come on.

This is really nothing. This is no news. It's weaksauce. This thread will be the usual GAf sales argumentative thread.

thisisneogaf.gif

Thoren

Banned
CONSOLE WARS
Episode 2
Generation 7

Next-Gen Strikes Back

It is a dark time for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Although the Gamecube has
been destroyed, The Nintendo DS has driven the Sony from
their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy.
Evading the dreaded Wii Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters
led by Shane Kim have established a new secret base on the
search engine website of Google.
The gaming lord Reggie Fils-Aime, obsessed with overtaking the Xbox 360 as the market leader,
has dispatched thousands of wii remote probes into the far reaches of
gaming space...

Sharp

krypt0nian said:
Like the smallest bit of wii news isn't posted? Did you see Nintendo's youtube celebration at e3?

Sure this is nothing but we see nothing from all camps daily so don't pretend otherwise.
As a Nintendo fan I feel obligated to point out that those threads suck too. NeoGAF is suffering from a glut of threads at the moment, and the mods seem to enocurage it (probably to avoid a lot of Pokebomb/Killzone2ton-type threads).

Top Bottom