• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 racism MEGATHREAD - no blacks, no Jews, no Irish plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakka

posting for devilscallmedad (no thread making privs),so don't kill me mithos :)

----------

Capcom’s Resident Evil 5 hasn’t even got a release date, but it’ s already drawn the ire of a blog devoted to African women.

Black Looks calls into question the game’s setting as depicted in the trailer, first shown at this year’s E3 in Santa Monica:

The new Resident Evil video game depicts a white man in what appears to be Africa killing Black people. The Black people are supposed to be zombies and the white man’s job is to destroy them and save humanity…

This is problematic on so many levels, including the depiction of Black people as inhuman savages, the killing of Black people by a white man in military clothing, and the fact that this video game is marketed to children and young adults. Start them young… fearing, hating, and destroying Black people.

The point has been made by some gamers as well. In fact, GamePolitics reader Quad9Damage raised the same point in a letter to GP just the other day.

-----

Link:
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer/

Black Looks on RE5:
http://www.blacklooks.org/2007/07/resident_evil_5.html

Suck it up and stop seeing racism everywhere.

If it was a black man killing white zombies, no one would give a damn.

The game will most likely be rated M, and therefore is not marketed at children at all. Misinformation FTL.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think closer to this game's release someone should send it to relevant parties for free advertising.

Ryu1999

Sooo...I guess RE4 was propaganda about how superior America was to Europe and that the Old World needed to be cleansed?

LRB1983

Banned
Then... when you killed american zombies in RE1,2,3,Veronica,Outbrea1&2 or spaniards in 4 are you an anti-usa or anti spain boy?
This world is MAD.

Raiden

Banned
Oh god, this is really going to be a problem isnt it? And they arent zombies, get your facts straight woman!

Tobor

I didn't think the controversy over Manhunt 2 would hurt it in the least. This on the other hand....will not end well.

kottila

LRB1983 said:
Then... when you killed american zombies in RE1,2,3,Veronica,Outbrea1&2 or spaniards in 4 are you an anti-usa or anti spain boy?
This world is MAD.

Do you really think that Black Looks have actually played or have information regarding any of the previous titles?

Borys

Banned
Man if this hit news this early imagine what will happen when the game finally gets out.

Riots. In the White House.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It appears I had too much faith in humanity.

I mean, I guess they could have had a white man kill a bunch of white people in Africa.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I KNEW it was coming but it still pisses me off.

Do they really believe Capcom is creating this game with racist motives?! Siren depicted Japanese folks acting as savages, RE4 depicted Spaniards, previous RE games depicted random white Americans, etc etc. Were those games racist?! F*ck no.

Anyone who believes there is racist intent behind the creation of RE5 is a complete fool.

FIREBABY

I'm so tired of this shit. Really tired. Capcom ignore this and get the game into my hands. By the way, they never said the game took place in Africa. As far as we know this could be Haiti, and looking at many things in the trailer I beleive it is. So if he's killing Haitians its ok then?

Draft

Keep in mind, not just killling. If it's anything like RE4, we're gonna have Africans on fire, African heads popping like overripe zits, African necks flailing uselessly after being on the business end of a rather nasty suplex... basically we're gonna have a lot of really dead Africans.

Joe211

Tobor said:
I didn't think the controversy over Manhunt 2 would hurt it in the least. This on the other hand....will not end well.

yeah Capcom is really playing with fire here :D

[Nintex]

People should stop complaining about racism and violence, did someone ever heard the Germans complain? We killed like 5000 of them in various WW2 shooters. I bet that the people who complain don't even live in Africa. I don't expect Capcom to change their games like the weak-ass western devs did.

dark10x said:
I KNEW it was coming but it still pisses me off.

Do they really believe Capcom is creating this game with racist motives?! Siren depicted Japanese folks acting as savages, RE4 depicted Spaniards, previous RE games depicted random white Americans, etc etc. Anyone who believes there is racist intent behind the creation of RE5 is a complete fool.

I bet a lack of self-distance, far exaggerated estimates of their own importance and an unhealthy focus on skin color and race is the reason for this outrage. And comically, I'd say the same about the neo-nazi punks of the early 90s.

bud

what if the africans in the game are actually white people who were in the sun for too long?

Razoric

Banned
They should just swap the black zombies out for white ones. Obviously people can't handle this shit and I'd rather not have my favorite series drug through the mud because idiots claim its racist.

Tobor

FIREBABY said:
I'm so tired of this shit. Really tired. Capcom ignore this and get the game into my hands. By the way, they never said the game took place in Africa. As far as we know this could be Haiti, and looking at many things in the trailer I beleive it is. So if he's killing Haitians its ok then?

No, it's just as bad.

This game will be on every political talk show, all over the news, talked about in Congress, discussed in the upcoming Presidential election, I mean everywhere.

Nothing is more polarizing in this country than race. Nothing.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
bud said:
what if the africans in the game are actually white people who were in the sun for too long?

You just blew my tiny, white, racist mind.

jimbo

Banned
Can't say I didn't see this coming. When I was watching the vid on Xbox live(which is absolutely incredible btw)...I was just thinking to myself....the commercial for this game (white guy shooting black people) isn't going to go over very well.

I hope Capcom has the balls to go through with it. And usually the Japanese(developers) don't really give a crap about stuff like this.

FIREBABY said:
Very likely, so no worries!

Ryu1999

Razoric said:
They should just swap the black zombies out for white ones. Obviously people can't handle this shit and I'd rather not have my favorite series drug through the mud because idiots claim its racist.

Uhhh, then whats the point of having it in Africa?

Sypher

Banned
Are you guys serious or just belligerent to the rest of the world?

While I agree that the misinformed will have a field day with this, how could you not see the POTENTIAL problems with this premise? A white man in Africa. Shooting black people. Who are depicted are as poor savages. My family is from Belize and while the town and dress are spot on, no race wants to be seen as such. Its like a moth to the flame.

Although I am curious as to how the T virus got to Africa in the first place?

JayDubya

Banned
Shit, Dead Rising was more bigoted and racist than RE5 could ever be (lol stupid crazy white Americans), and hardly a peep of complaint on that one.

As soon as you involve an African locale, however, OOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOES LOOOKOUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom