• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kohler and others (*******, Kotaku, Dtoid) issued a challenge...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
...by me:

http://www.modojo.com/features/20070802/241/journalists_take_the_mobile_game_challenge/

We read the gaming blogs and message boards. We know what you all think about mobile games. Over the last two years Modojo has reviewed over 200 of them, so we think it's safe to consider ourselves experts on the subject. And the fact is, nearly all of you are wrong.

Mobile games don't suck, and we can prove it.

I'm calling you out, game journalists. I know many of you personally. For the most part everyone that writes about games is reasonable, intelligent, and friendly. You love giving great, underexposed games their due and bringing them to the attention of your readers. For the most part, game journalists are a progressive bunch.

So, it's time to give mobile a fair shot. A real shot.

Things have been moving in the right direction for a while, but as a press collective, we just aren't there yet. *******'s Alexander Sliwinski expressed shock that God of War: Betrayal was actually... fun. Destructoid's Nick Chester expressed similar surprise. Sliwinski also seemed pretty surprised that mobile games weren't just "Tetris clones," despite the fact that only about one in eight mobile games reviewed by us, IGN Wireless, or any other mobile games site is a puzzle title.

Kotaku's Mike Fahey seems to have a somewhat more enlightened view towards mobile's potential as a gaming medium, but still expresses a little more doubt than is probably fair.

On the flipside, Wired's Chris Kohler and MTV's Stephen Totilo seem to have a more healthy opinion - they're skeptical, but open-minded.

We totally get everyone's attitude towards mobile. We felt the same way (that the games weren't worth our time/money), until we were forced to start covering them here at Modojo. It was only when we went hands-on with some of mobile's AAA titles that we realized that mobile games were more fun than we ever believed they could be.

So, here's the deal. We're requesting (nicely!) that all the game journos outlined above download a couple of the mobile games listed below and give them a fair shot.
Any other publication that doesn't pay much attention to mobile (1up, GameSpot, Game Informer...) you're welcome to join in as well, of course. Play through them like you would any other handheld, keeping in mind that mobile games are designed around being fun for short bursts of downtime, are designed to be interruptible, and are (usually) designed to by fully playable with just one thumb.

And then simply report on your observations. If you still find the experience lacking, Modojo will reprint your negative opinion in full in a follow-up article, and we promise to pay for your downloads (or buy you a few rounds) at the next gaming show or the next time we see you. If, on the flipside, you find the games to be as enjoyable and addicting as we at Modojo do... we won't rub it in. We didn't think mobile games were worth anything until we gave them a lengthy look either.

So really, you have nothing to lose. At worst you'll spend a few hours and a few dollars on something only marginally enjoyable, and at best you'll come away a more well-rounded gamer, with some new upcoming games to get excited about.

...any GAF member is welcome to join in on the challenge as well, and I promise to reprint your thoughts in a follow-up piece. I don't promise to pay for your downloads, though ;)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The stigma against mobile games now is pretty much exactly the same as was against handheld gaming a decade ago.

Appearently the solution is to have your system be good enough to play games at a 16bit-generation level, more or less.

So there you go. The first company to make a cellphone that plays games which look as good as a given GBA title will magically have games for it that aren't universally panned. Then, all the complaints about mobile games - which are still equally applicable to handhelds now, but nobody wants to anymore - will mysteriously vanish.

Cathcart

Well, I have an iPhone, so I guess I'm out. Someone list some good javascript games so I can get in on the fun.

GDJustin

KachoMakura said:
I think this would be a good thing. I mean we see reviews of XBLA games why not mobile games?

There are reviews of mobile games at sites like mine, PocketGamer, etc. IGN wireless does a great job too.

shuri

Banned
devilscallmedad said:
why would any one want to play mobile games in the first place? ds only costs $130
using a psp or a ds in public is kind of awkward if you are older than 12, sorry.

Somehow the number pad on the cellphone doesn't seem like the best controller out there.

shuri said:
using a psp or a ds in public is kind of awkward if you are older than 12, sorry.
Well thats a bit of a personal issue isn't it.

dkeane

The way I see it is mobile games are cool but the hardware sucks and the hardware is all so different there's not many standards for mobile displays/power/controls.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Time Crisis mobile is my favorite game on mobiles. Haven't tried the games in the challenges though, nor God of War.

JKBii

devilscallmedad said:
why would any one want to play mobile games in the first place? ds only costs $130

That's how I feel. No matter how good mobile games are, legit handheld games are way better.

Lostconfused said:
Somehow the number pad on the cellphone doesn't seem like the best controller out there.

Kills it every time for me. I keep being sucked in by the new hotness only to be disappointed.

I'm to the point where I'd rather just buy a new DS game instead of giving the mobile games a chance.

shuri said:

Caring about what random strangers think FTL.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The problem with mobile games is the method of delivery, the size of the screen, the method of input, loading times, battery, and not being able to try before you buy.

Basically, I have about 4-6 minutes while shitting to play one of these games. And I have a DS that addresses all of these issues in spades, and doesn't weigh me down with a phone attached.

The age of the universal device is never. Are there some good games out there? Probably. But there are great flash games out there too, of which no gaming publication worth their salt is going to waste time reviewing. And THOSE are free!

shuri said:

Uh, no? I see people from all walks of life on the subways playing both PSP and DS. In fact, I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 people under the age of 13 playing them. Ever.

Mark D

Honest question: How many really solid titles are there available for mobiles that you can't play on any other platform, and what are they?

Tiktaalik

I've tried a puzzle game and a racing game and I found that the control was extremely annoying, even for simple puzzle games. I don't see how more actiony games, such as Call of Duty or Rainbow Six could overcome this fundamental obstacle, and unfortunately, since there is no demo system at all for phone games, I'll never find out. I'm not going to risk $7 on something like that.

Tornado Mania! is one of the most addictive mobile games, nay, one of the most addictive games i've played full stop, and it's absence from this thread saddens me greatly :p

loosus

Banned
The problem isn't so much the games (even though 80% of the ones I've played do indeed suck) as it is the interface.

Back when the 3x3 phone-number block was created, the creators weren't exactly thinking, "Hmm, the 3x3 block seems best for controlling Mario!" It ****ing sucks for games.

Uh, no? I see people from all walks of life on the subways playing both PSP and DS. In fact, I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 people under the age of 13 playing them. Ever.
Sure, but those people do indeed look like dumbasses.

GDJustin

dog$ said:
The stigma against mobile games now is pretty much exactly the same as was against handheld gaming a decade ago.

Appearently the solution is to have your system be good enough to play games at a 16bit-generation level, more or less.

So there you go. The first company to make a cellphone that plays games which look as good as a given GBA title will magically have games for it that aren't universally panned. Then, all the complaints about mobile games - which are still equally applicable to handhelds now, but nobody wants to anymore - will mysteriously vanish.

Pyramid Bloxx:
1.jpg

Super KO Boxing:
2.jpg

God of War: Betrayal:
7.jpg

Ghost Recon 2:
1.jpg

The Incredible Machine:
2.jpg

Stranded:
2.jpg

Lemmings Return:
3.jpg

PGR Mobile:
5.jpg

dog$

Hates quality gaming
It always amuses me how people are so easy and complacent with totally writing off mobile games now with the same logic that was applied to handhelds a decade ago.

Seriously, what was so different about the GBA to make handheld gaming stop being shitted on like mobile games are now?
JKBii said:
No matter how good mobile games are, legit handheld games are way better.
No matter how good handheld games are, legit console games are way better.

Nobody will agree with me, but many people will agree with you.

Why.

Haunted

Mark D said:
Honest question: How many really solid titles are there available for mobiles that you can't play on any other platform, and what are they?
OP gave a link. Click it.

Tiktaalik

Bootaaay said:
Tornado Mania! is one of the most addictive mobile games, nay, one of the most addictive games i've played full stop, and it's absence from this thread saddens me greatly :p

post screens/tell me more

GDJustin

loosus said:
Back when the 3x3 phone-number block was created, the creators weren't exactly thinking, "Hmm, the 3x3 block seems best for controlling Mario!" It ****ing sucks for games.

Mouse & Keyboard were designed with gaming in mind?

Threi

notag
i don't like portable gaming in general so eh...

and when there are machines that are dedicated to games but instead someone would opt for games on a machine made to make phone calls...

meh.

dog$ said:
It always amuses me how people are so easy and complacent with totally writing off mobile games now with the same logic that was applied to handhelds a decade ago.

Seriously, what was so different about the GBA to make handheld gaming stop being shitted on like mobile games are now?No matter how good handheld games are, legit console games are way better.

Why.

I already answered above. I've tried mobile gaming including many of the games posted above and I hate the controls on phones. Proabably great games BUT I'd rather play them on the GBA/DS.

loosus

Banned
GDJustin said:
Mouse & Keyboard were designed with gaming in mind?
Perhaps not, but the fundamental difference is this: a mouse and keyboard combination actually works.

Not to mention that casual players would probably argue that using a keyboard is not a good way to play games, while a mouse is.

Haunted

dog$ said:
No matter how good handheld games are, legit console games are way better.

Why.
Because you can't play console games on the go? That's the advantage handhelds have over consoles. Mobiles don't have any such significant advantage over handhelds.

JKBii

dog$ said:

Seriously, what was so different about the GBA to make handheld gaming stop being shitted on like mobile games are now?No matter how good handheld games are, legit console games are way better.

Why.
You can take them places, and you can't do that with consoles. Cell phones don't offer anything that handhelds don't, unless you don't want to carry around two devices at once.

Top Bottom