• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Final Fantasy 4 DS Famitsu scans [Aug 22]

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm playing V right now on the micro now and it's awesome. I don't understand how anyone can not like that game, it has one of the best FF skill systems.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Darunia said:
I'm playing V right now on the micro now and it's awesome. I don't understand how anyone can not like that game, it has one of the best FF skill systems.
absolutely the job system in that game is pure GENIUS.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
169fs659243.jpg

How can someone hate that stuff?

sphinx

the piano man
Vic said:
You've finished the FFIV port? Personally, I've never played the game. Good for me since they're going to add more content in the DS remake!

Yes I played and finished ff4. It was an O.K. game.

some of the tasks were PERVERSE.

The Pink flan thing with the 0.000000000000001% chance of dropping something that you could then exchange for some powerful weapon.

LaneDS

Can't wait to see how Golbez looks in this.

Regarding Final Fantasy V, the gameplay was fantastic but the story and characters were pretty horrid. Really odd considering the story and characters of IV and VI are amazing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
LaneDS said:
Can't wait to see how Golbez looks in this.

Regarding Final Fantasy V, the gameplay was fantastic but the story and characters were pretty horrid. Really odd considering the story and characters of IV and VI are amazing.

The characters weren't THAT horrid... maybe a bit cliche and not as interesting as FF6's, but not outright detestable as we've gotten in some of the later FF games. V is the by far the best FF game, although I like 1, 3, 4, 6, and 7 a whole lot as well.

Teasel

i wouldn't say i hate ffv job system but i can't see what's so great about it
also a lot of classes are pretty much useless
oh and fftactics does the job system job a lot better

JayDubya

Banned
Vic said:
How can someone hate that stuff?

I don't hate job system FF games, but it's definitely not an advancement mechanic I favor - unless there's some sort of restrictions or trees involved, you just wind up with wholly identical characters. Of course, I have this same same gripe with FFVII and VIII and X and XII.

I don't know a lot about FFXII International's Zodiac Job system, but from what I know of it, it seems like a form of job system I could get behind.

Teasel said:
i wouldn't say i hate ffv job system but i can't see what's so great about it
also a lot of classes are pretty much useless
oh and fftactics does the job system job a lot better

Nothing but wrong in this post.

jman2050

JayDubya said:
I don't hate job system FF games, but it's definitely not an advancement mechanic I favor - unless there's some sort of restrictions or trees involved, you just wind up with wholly identical characters.

Wouldn't the FF6 Esper system and FF7 Materia system suffer from almost the exact same problem? Same with the sphere grid in FFX?

JayDubya

Banned
jman2050 said:
Wouldn't the FF6 Esper system and FF7 Materia system suffer from almost the exact same problem? Same with the sphere grid in FFX?

The Esper system is just about perfect, though. Everyone has base stats, everyone has unique abilities (and play differently), and the espers just mildly guide stats along, slowly, over time.

You CAN tweak it such that everyone becomes invincible god children if you avoid xp like the black plague and only use the best espers when you level up (meaning only leveling up with one or two characters at a given time until you get more +2 stat up Espers). However, if you play in a natural (non-neurotic-as-hell) manner and use your level ups to play to character's strengths, you'll end up with balanced parties.

atbigelow

It would be interesting if they added a new ability system into the game. Doubt it though.

This game can't come out soon enough.

d+pad

Rodeo Clown said:

Actually, I mean the character in the battle screen that shows 5 characters. One is Cecil, one is Rosa, one is Rydia, one is Yang, and the other (in the upper left) is ???

TreIII

SomeDude said:
I hope they skip V and make VI next,

Doubtful. Not with that GBA port just on its way to become a year old. 5 is definitely going to be next, if anything.

...Of course, I'd probably laugh my damn fool head off if it turned out to be FF: Mystic Quest instead. *Shot*

botticus

I hope the inevitable FFVI remake is as inevitable as we think. I had my doubts about this art style, but now I want it for my favorite game.

d+pad said:
Actually, I mean the character in the battle screen that shows 5 characters. One is Cecil, one is Rosa, one is Rydia, one is Yang, and the other (in the upper left) is ???

The ponce with the harp? That's Edward/Gilbert the "Spoony Bard".

That's a rather odd party combination btw. I don't think I've ever seen all five of those characters together.

botticus

d+pad said:
A spoony bard?

ethelred

Wow. This just looks flat out awesome.

And a pox on anyone suggesting they just skip over FFV. It's not my favorite in the series, and I do like VI more, but V is still an awesome game and it wouldn't be right to do III, IV, and VI and just ignore it entirely.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
That's a rather odd party combination btw. I don't think I've ever seen all five of those characters together.

Huh?
From the moment where you rescue Yang on the mountain until you reach Fabul Castle during the Red Wing attack, that's the party you have. So granted they're not together long, but it is obligatory.

For some reason, I never got around to finishing the GBA version, even though I had pretty much every item in the game and just had to beat the last boss. This game will be mine, though.

Polari

sphinx said:
I really don't like how this turned out.

I bought FF4 for GBA not longer than a year ago, only to learn there is a fully upgraded and definitive version of the game in the works on a next-gen handheld.

I really feel cheated.

I mean, it's only been a year and a half between the US release of FF4A and the announcement that a remake is in the works.

shame on you, SE.

Suck it up, cheapskate.

ex0du5

Banned
Please...NO CHIBBI FFVI. Please...FFVI on a next-gen console! (no handheld BS)

edit: Damn that Cecil and Kain art is the Amano style that they should use for the character models.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
isnt FF6 already on a handheld tho? and with chibi characters to boot.

ethelred

It's really going to be... super constantly hearing "Nononono, this should be on a true HD Next-Gen console!" constantly for the next four years. Just super.

Neil

Looks SO much better than 3, which was a disappointment.
They can't go wrong with this really, as the story is amazing.

:lol That artwork of Kain and Cecil is so, so bad. Some things are better left to the imagination I guess. The spite art didn't bother me as much because it was hard to tell what they were going for.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Error said:
isnt FF6 already on a handheld tho? and with chibi characters to boot.
Stop using logic please, it's not the place for that kind of stuff.

Top Bottom