• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Pinball - The appreciation thread

womp

Metroid_Prime_Pinball.jpg

I didn't see this game already made into an appreciation thread and by God this game deserves one. I bought it the day it was released and given the insanity over Metroid Prime 3: Corruption around here, I thought it was a good time for a revisit for those people that may have somehow...Missed or ignored its existance. It is IMO quite frankly not only one of the best DS games available but one of the best video pinball titles in the history of video gamedom. Pokemon Pinball and Kirby Pinball were great for on the go video pinball, but sorry Pikachu...Samus Aran is in the house now.

Ignore the fact that it was a followup to the absolutely horrid Mario Pinball Land, even anti-pinball people will be smitten by the fantastical uses of the Metroid settings and asthetics in pinball format. The fit, polish and ultimately the feel of this game is just over the top amazing. The dual screen format owes so much to the overall mechanics.

metroid-prime-pinball-20050930000533654.jpg
metroid-pinball-20050515004914443.jpg
metroid-prime-pinball-20050930000534061.jpg

I've been happily playing for almost two years now and the damned game simply continues to entertain over and over. Featuring only a couple, but fantastic tables, awesome graphics, great physics and some of the most brilliant but simple single card DS play available makes it an important addition to any DS gamer's library. You couldn't imagine that multiplayer pinball could be done or be this fun but it is. Unfortunately for our European brothers it has only just now been released a bare 2 months ago across the pond and for all of you in that region I urge you to not second guess this beauteous title.

Oh sure the included rumble cart won't fit in the DS Lite and pretty much lets off a useless buzz rather a real 'Rumble', but thats OK because its current $19.99 running price is a bargain....No...A STEAL.

So for anyone looking to pick up a new DS game this weekend, is on a budget and looking for something different: Look no further. Give old Samus a whirl in Morphball style with this over looked future classic.

Oh and for the record EGM, there IS a tilt feature.

This is one of those good games that so often slips through the cracks. The only knock on the game is the sparse amount of tables it has. The tables it does have are great, and leaves me wondering what would happen if they took the time to produce a few more tables. This game also hit at about the time the DS really started to take off. At about this time, I started to realize Nintendo had something great going on with its games.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
In nothing less than a miracle, I found this game for US$ 19,99 in Brazil. Considering that store in particular sells recent DS titles for about US$ 90, that was absolutely ace.

And yes, the game is wicked fun.

great minds, think alike. I was about to make this thread. Anyways, the game is simply amazing. The graphics, gameplay, and especially the music make this, is my opinion, the best pinball game ever made.

Right now my top score is a little over 4 million and I've been playing it everyday for the past two weeks. Still haven't been able to get to Metroid Prime yet, only the Artifact Temple. I am determined.

Capndrake

Has anybody managed to beat Expert mode, and does it unlock anything? Because it's godawfully hard and you can't get Extra Balls (At least I don't think so, there's none for certain scores and the roulette never stopped on it in like 50 tries).

great minds, think alike. I was about to make this thread. Anyways, the game is simply amazing. The graphics, gameplay, and especially the music make this, is my opinion, the best pinball game ever made.

Right now my top score is a little over 4 million and I've been playing it everyday for the past two weeks. Still haven't been able to get to Metroid Prime yet, only the Artifact Temple. I am determined.

arena08

NOTHING can dethrone pokemon pinball.

Metroid pinball just doesnt have the depth for me to be able to enjoy it.

Tiktaalik

I bought this recently because I heard good things, it was only $19 at Futureshop and I wanted to try out the rumble pack features of Picross. It's been really good so far.

womp

arena08 said:
NOTHING can dethrone pokemon pinball.

Metroid pinball just doesnt have the depth for me to be able to enjoy it.

Pokemon pinball is great (Especially the GBA edition) but it has lacking tables and slower overall gameplay in comparison. I wouldn't exactly call 'Catching Pokemon' with a pinball a whole lot of depth either, personally as much fun as it is at first it DOES get very repetitive. Pokemon Pinball isn't focused as much on scoring as it is a pinball collect-a-thon.

Pinball in general is made up of two important attributes...Table layout and scoring.

Metroid Prime Pinball does both in spades.

womp

Tiktaalik said:
I bought this recently because I heard good things, it was only $19 at Futureshop and I wanted to try out the rumble pack features of Picross. It's been really good so far.

Find a friend with a DS and do the single cart multiplay. I've literally spent HOURS among a group of family and friends playing this game in multiplayer mode, its a freakin blast! Its only downfall is that you cannot set the score limit break but then again it being low just entices you to want to go another round of it. :D

womp

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
You've made me want to play it again Womp,

It's been awhile.

Heh, I was considering invoking such a thread in our other big hang out Rik but I think it already exists. :)

Christine

It's a pretty good pinball game, and it's the story of Metroid Prime as told through pinball, and it's got good remixes of the Prime music.

This is a great game of video pinball. It's just barely edged out by Pokemon Pinball for depth, and in terms of feeling like authentic pinball, it brings the advantages offered by the tall DS screen out. I regularly alternate between this, Pokemon Pinball, and NiGHTS Pinball from Sonic Pinball Party.

Oh man, this was an awesome game. It's weird how you can get "in the zone" on a pinball game. There were times when I would only last 5 minutes, and others where I had to pause my game several times because I was kicking ass for so long.

Only gripes are that there's a very small number of levels and the rumble wasn't very rumbly. Best pinball I've played since LOTR pinball at the arcades.

Sagitario

A great game... I'm not very good (I haven't got to the MP stage yet) at it but I enjoy it a lot... I really like the music remixes too..

Mar

Hmm.. Sorry but I have to disagree. This was the worst DS purchase I ever made. Finished it the first time I played it, and really didn't enjoy it at all. I bought it at full price too so that made it even more painful.

Mar_ said:
Hmm.. Sorry but I have to disagree. This was the worst DS purchase I ever made. Finished it the first time I played it, and really didn't enjoy it at all. I bought it at full price too so that made it even more painful.
Have you traditionally enjoyed video pinball?

Mar

Segata Sanshiro said:
Have you traditionally enjoyed video pinball?

Not really. Only one I liked was probably Devils Crush and Sonic Spinball. So I guess that's a large part of why I didn't enjoy Metroid Pinball very much.

Mar_ said:
Not really. Only one I liked was probably Devils Crush and Sonic Spinball. So I guess that's a large part of why I didn't enjoy Metroid Pinball very much.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, then. I'm a big pinball nut and I've taken to video pinball out of necessity.

youta

I've always liked to play pinball video games since the Atari 2600,
but rarely does the physics feel as good as in MPP. My best score is
12,861,330, although I've seen insanely high numbers which far surpass
my own.

Enk

makes good threads.
Actually last time I checked the game was around $9.99 at Gamestop used. It might've been mislabled but I've been eyeing this game for a long time. Unfortunately the triggers on my DS are broke so I held off on getting it :( . I've never really been into console pinball but this one seems different enough to warrant a purchase. Plus hearing remixed Metroid music is always nice.

Enk said:
Actually last time I checked the game was around $9.99 at Gamestop used. It might've been mislabled but I've been eyeing this game for a long time. Unfortunately the triggers on my DS are broke so I held off on getting it :( . I've never really been into console pinball but this one seems different enough to warrant a purchase. Plus hearing remixed Metroid music is always nice.

you can use the d-pad instead of the triggers :)

Brak

I hope Fuse is working on a new game becuase I love MPP. It was a total surprise too. I wasn't really expecting anything at all and then I was addicted. Probably second only to Meteos in my most played DS games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Great game, but disappointing that I was able to beat it within my first hour of play. I hope they make a sequel.

2DMention

Banned
Pretty good game, although I can do without the shooting sections. There aren't alot of targets in this game either, just ramps. I agree the ball physics feel just right.

dose

Capndrake said:
Has anybody managed to beat Expert mode, and does it unlock anything? Because it's godawfully hard and you can't get Extra Balls (At least I don't think so, there's none for certain scores and the roulette never stopped on it in like 50 tries).
Yeh, I was thinking the same. For some odd reason, on Expert mode the ball also seems to bounce a LOT between your paddles. Great game otherwise, but yeh, Expert is rock.

womp said:
fantastic tables, awesome graphics, great physics and some of the most brilliant but simple single card DS play available

Sullichin said:
Really great game. My favorite on DS.

I agree with these posts 100%. It's the best game on DS to just pick up and play for 5-10 minutes, which is often exactly what you want a portable game to do. Loved it to death.

F-Pina

Hey! Great game indeed.

In my company one of us bought the game and sudennly we were all playng for the High Score. Before christmas we all went to lunch in a great Pizza Restaurant and everybody took the DS along.
A Multiplayer of 8 followed and when the man arrived with the pizzas he was looking at us over the shoulder trying to figure out what the fuss was all about :)

Kuran

Banned
I don't really dig this one.. its a shame. We need more pinball games on the DS!

I'd love to see a KAZE compilation, and how about doing the Pinball Dreams/Illusions/Fantasies games some portable justice this time?

PS. Kirby's Pinball for Gameboy is my favourite portable pinball!

Top Bottom