• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2007: Assignment Thread 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Theme: Your Work

Take a shot representing your line of work/occupation/job/trade/study! Anything from aspects of your job, your work environment, location, Heck, your desk if you have to (or a view from your work).

(wait...is Phantomile still banned? :p)

Submissions are due by Saturday, September 29th at 11:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-8).

Voting begins on Sunday, September 30th and ends on Tuesday, October 2nd at 11:59 Pacific Daylight Time.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. If there is a tie, the number of first choice votes will be the tiebreaker. Criticism/comments encouraged. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote.

4) The “winner” should come up with a new theme/time period.

5) Have fun.

Let me know if the time period is bad - I wanted to give at least a whole working week.

edit: wow that sticky was fast - is that automatic, or are the mods just really switched on? Thanks!

What the hell... I'll go first. I fiddling around taking pictures for class and happened to take one that also fits the theme.

Wow, my data isn't in Flickr (which is flick-arrrr today)... I wonder if it's visible with the FF extension? I've been having a hard time figuring out the best way to save RAW since I've been working with only those files. Maybe someone has a tip? I should probably take that to the other thread.

1458919131_39b26c37ae.jpg

Camera: Nikon D80
f16, ss 1/25
flash fired, auto mode
line of work: freelance writer & editor/blogger
bible: elements of style, baby
see it bigger, all the info, etc.

Replaced. Liked the composition on the other better, but everything else on this one seems slightly superior to me.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Rentahamster said:
My work? Hmm, would be hard to do one that's not NSFW ;)

If it's not safe for work just post a link. Make sure you clearly mark it as NSFW.

mrkgoo

hey_monkey said:
What the hell... I'll go first. I fiddling around taking pictures for class and happened to take one that also fits the theme.

Wow, my data isn't in Flickr (which is flick-arrrr today)... I wonder if it's visible with the FF extension? I've been having a hard time figuring out the best way to save RAW since I've been working with only those files. Maybe someone has a tip? I should probably take that to the other thread.

Camera: Nikon D80
f6.3, ss 1/30
no flash
line of work: freelance writer & editor/blogger
bible: elements of style, baby

Will probably replace, but hey! I'm first! :D Not fully satisfied, however.

Fast!
I think it's pretty good. You have a great eye. Also, you have an Apple keyboard. Since I'm a self-confessed Apple-fanboy, this is also a plus.

Confession: I also chose this topic to learn more about people here. ;)

thatbox

Banned
hey_monkey said:
Photoshop's Save For Web removes all metadata, so maybe that was it? What program do you use to develop your RAWs?

thatbox said:
Photoshop's Save For Web removes all metadata, so maybe that was it? What program do you use to develop your RAWs?

That was exactly what I used -- save for web. I upload via iPhoto and then work in Photoshop, but I don't like to save as .tif. I only recently started working in there, as I'm learning curves and such in photo class, so I'm still fumbling with the proper way to save. Before I was working all in iPhoto or with JPGs.

mrkgoo -- I do love my Apple keyboard, but I wish I had one of the new ones! At first I wasn't in love with it when I got my Mac Pro, but it grew on me and now I cradle it like a wee infant child.

And I like the assignment (and also nice things said about my stuff :D ), btw... it WILL be a good opportunity to learn about folks!

mrkgoo

Well, here we go:
44jros3.jpg

efs17-55IS, 55mm, f/2.8, 1/25s, iso250.

Preoccupation: Biochemistry, Xray crystallography.

Bildi

I haven't picked up my camera for ages, but this was a good excuse so I took my camera to work today. Today was actually our town's annual flower carnival and it goes right past our front door.

Frankly this roof was more interesting. It's the view out my window.

20070922_085131.jpg

I'm an accountant. Now you know why I pointed the camera out the window.

Flo

Bildi said:
I haven't picked up my camera for ages, but this was a good excuse so I took my camera to work today. Today was actually our town's annual flower carnival and it goes right past our front door.

Frankly this roof was more interesting. It's the view out my window.

I'm an accountant. Now you know why I pointed the camera out the window.

Nice! Good way to show how much you like your work as well :p

Bildi

Flo said:
Nice! Good way to show how much you like your work as well :p
:lol In all honesty, I really like my job. But I don't think anyone would be interested in seeing a accountant's office, especially when it belongs to a bit of a neat-freak...

mrkgoo

Bildi said:
:lol In all honesty, I really like my job. But I don't think anyone would be interested in seeing a accountant's office, especially when it belongs to a bit of a neat-freak...

Well, the interpretation of this theme was kind of the idea - I was hoping someone would post a very clinical looking desk :p. The idea is to somehow look at your own work perhaps a little more differently than you usually do - and capture that.

I'd probably take a picture of my desk, except it'd only be my Mac with safari open to GAF...

sprsk

My lovely fiancee just bought me a Sigma 17-70mm and I will hopefully have something for this week.

sprsk

1437375115_1112ffbc8d_o.jpg

Taken with my new lens, which man, the color is so much more usuable. The one thing I'm going to get used to is the amount of boke. I love it though. 2.8 doesn't seem like much of a bump, but damn it is.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, boke rocks. After I got my Sigma 30mm f1.4, I found myself taking way too many pictures at 1.4 for no other reason than just to blur the hell out of my backgrounds.

One of my relatives who likes to take pictures but doesn't really have a clue about photography once chastised me, "You're background is all blurry" in a nagging tone that implied I was doing something wrong. I had to politely reeducate her :D

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
Holy crap, sweet! Is that the diffraction analyzer thingamajig? I really like your DOF on this shot.

It's the point where we mount samples to be exposed to X-rays. The part that is in focus is a mounted sample, and the nozzle coming in from the top right is a nitrogen stream to keep the sample frozen.

OnkelC - what is it you actually do? Your desk is nice and clean :)

In other news, I'm away for the weekend, so probably won;t be able to collate the entries this time around. Hopefully some brave person will be able to pick up my slack when the time comes.

Bildi said:
:lol

I just started working in one so I can understand that sentiment.

mrkgoo said:
Pfft. That's nothing :D

My thoughts exactly. Since my desk and office are in my home, and I'm a full-time student as well as a full-time writer, I've got classwork and work-work scattered everywhere, along with books, camera stuff, random things like paint chips for the nursery and prenatal vitamins, piles of paper that need to be filed, books, more books, games, my DS Lite (just 'cause), and a veritable battalion of post-it notes. I think I could single-handedly keep that company afloat. Plus art supplies for school and random things that I need close at hand, like nail polish and spare headbands. My desk is a wreck, and I even try to clean it off about once a week. :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I use the clutter on my desk mainly to hide the DS. And to have myself looking occupied, you know.

el jacko

My computer consumes most of my desk, actually. What little space there is is for the newspaper. Well, see it below:

1450534249_314069bd44_o.jpg

1/125s, f2.8, 17mm, iso100
I'm a student, actually, but I photograph school events on the side. I do have a paying job, but it's nothing compared to the student-hood.

I understand that. I remember days in the office and artful clutter and the art of alt-tabbing. :lol Of course, these days, I don't have time for diversion. I miss it!

Okay, so I reshot my photo (with a bit more correct color that I didn't have to try to fix and fail), but I still don't understand why I can't get a jpg from my RAW file in Photoshop. Can anyone help me out here? Even after saving as .psd, my options are limited to Cineon (dunno what it is), Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF, Photoshop Raw, PNG (which destroys it) and TIFF, which seems to mess up the color a little.

Where's upload-friendly jpg? /sob

CS3. Under export, all that's there is:
paths to illustrator
send video preview to device
video preview

I don't have that much experience with RAW, so... I'm kinda lost on this part.

el jacko

okay, I haven't used that program in awhile, but... I think after you edit the RAW in Photoshop's RAW viewer, you can put it into the regular Photoshop program, and from there choose "save as" which should let you save it as a JPG (at least I can't imagine why it wouldn't...)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What are you doing to the RAW file? When you said you are working on it in Photoshop, do you mean the actual Photoshop program, or Adobe Camera RAW, which is a separate entity?

The following workflow should give you what you want.

Open up Adobe Bridge.

Navigate to the folder your RAW file is in. Double click to open.

You should be in the Adobe Camera RAW dialog box. Make the necessary adjustments to your file if you want.

*from here, there are two ways that you can go*

Method #1:
From the Camera RAW dialog box, click on the "Done" button.

You should be taken back to Bridge. Select your file and go to tools > Photoshop > Image Processor

Make sure "Save as JPEG" is checked, click "Run"

Method #2
From the Camera RAW dialog box, click on the "Openn Image" button.

The image will then be opened in the main Photoshop program.

Proceed to do all your regular Photoshop adjustments.

Save image as normal.

After all this, make sure to ???

Then, profit.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
hey_monkey said:
CS3. Under export, all that's there is:
paths to illustrator
send video preview to device
video preview

Why are you going to file > export?

You have to go to file > save

Or file > save as

I went to export because el_jacko asked me about it. I already listed what was under save as -- jpg is not an option. I'm not, you know, a complete idiot here. :p Perhaps only partial idiot.

I was just opening them up on Photoshop proper because that's how the prof did it in photography class. Before that, I was doing a little initial work in iPhoto, and that seemed to automatically give me a .jpg.

After just following your instructions, it looks like I've been doing this:

Method #2
From the Camera RAW dialog box, click on the "Openn Image" button.

The image will then be opened in the main Photoshop program.

Proceed to do all your regular Photoshop adjustments.

Save image as normal.

But when you open a RAW file in Photoshop, it automatically takes you through the Adobe Camera raw thing (see? it gives me this every time, without ever going to Adobe Bridge before). Once I open the file, do work in regular Photoshop, and go to save as, it gives me this.

So, to recap, this is what I do:

I import via iPhoto.
Any files I want to work with, I move out of iPhoto, just dragging them and dropping them to the desktop or a folder.
They plop down as .NEF
I open them with Photoshop (because it seems to do the Adobe Bridge thing automatically)
Adjust in Adobe Camera Raw if necessary.
Click "open image"
work
save as yields that screenshot. No .jpg option.
???
distinct lack of profit

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hm, strange. Did you try using the image processor method? Also, you could try using the "Save Image" button that is in the lower left corner of the Camera RAW dialog box.

What I think is going on is that your preferences may be a little messed up. You can try and reset your preferences to the default settings (You said something about your photography prof? Did he make you guys change your Photoshop preferences? That may be screwing things up) Make sure you save any workspaces, actions, styles, etc. that you want to keep.

What may be happening is that your file is inadvertently being changed to some weird type when you import it into PS from Camera RAW. Make sure that the file you are working on in Photoshop is in 8-bit RGB color. For that, go to image > mode

Or maybe we're not just gathering enough underpants....

Nah, he didn't tell us to change anything and I haven't changed anything in my home copy. I was in 16 bit, though, and hadn't saved from the RAW editor, because I was usually going in to work on curves or something. I'll try that and report back.

It IS a very weird problem, I'll grant that. It's been puzzling me for days.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh, OK, that's it is, then. If your file is in 16-bit mode, you cannot save in JPEG. The JPEG standard was not designed for 16 bit color, so it is impossible for Photoshop to save as a JPEG unless you convert your file to 8-bit mode first.

edit: Do you mind if I ask why you are working in 16-bit mode? Did you do some kind of HDR conversion? Is this a strategy that your professor taught you?

Yeah, that's what he told us to do for printing purposes. I have no idea if he's correct or not, and since he's rather a scatterbrained old coot as professors go, I don't really have much reason to trust him, but... uh... more sounded better? I dunno. I just went with what he said.

I'm SO glad to get to the bottom of this! Thank you to the power of infinity.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"for printing purposes"? What the hell? Any kind of general purpose printing won't benefit from 16-bit mode in any significant manner.

Besides, I assume you are starting out with a picture from your camera, then converting it to 16-bit, right? Camera's don't take photos in 16-bit. Doing that isn't going to magically add any more bit depth to your photo, just like upscaling your photo isn't going to magically increase its detail.

Starting with an 8-bit photo and changing it to 16-bit is pointless. It just makes your file size unnecessarily large.

Your prof may have been thinking of scans. Scanners can scan in 16-bit, and if so, then working in 16-bit mode with a picture that was originally captured in 16-bit will have a lot more tonal information stored within.

edit: You can get a 16-bit photo, but you have to use the high dynamic range option in Photoshop and combine multiple pictures together that have a wide range of exposure values. Current cameras don't just spit out 16-bit images right from the start.

Bildi

OnkelC said:
I use the clutter on my desk mainly to hide the DS. And to have myself looking occupied, you know.
We have a mostly paperless system so if the client's source documents are on the computer... well, I basically look like I'm doing nothing at all :lol .

In reality, the only time I'm really slacking off is if I'm resting my chin on one hand. That means I'm gaffing....

Well, he's said a lot of stupid stuff so far that I DID know about, so I'm not surprised that some of the stuff I DID NOT know about was also stupid.

He doesn't own a digital camera at all, btw, and won't buy one, even though the program at school has moved to include digital, and he constantly disparages digital cameras. It's very annoying.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh, I see. He must be shooting in film and then scanning the film at 16-bit color depth. That does make sense, but it's a bit odd for him not to mention the difference between that and shooting with a digital camera.

While digital is is great and all, film is still very important if one cares about quality and is good enough to put up with all the old-school hassle.

As far as this assignment goes, I had an idea that I wanted to do, but it was hard finding a friend with the right qualities who would model for me. Meh, maybe I'll just go with something else.

I think there are certainly merits to both, and if half the class is shooting pictures with digital cameras, he should probably not insult us and talk about how shitty digital is every day. I think film is great and all, but it's 100% inconvenient for me, especially while I'm pregnant, and so it'll probably be a while before I dip toes into that aspect of photography... though I want to.

I hope you get something worked out for the assignment!

AirBrian

Yeah, I have a boring job.

GAF-23.jpg

Camera Model: Nikon D70
Flash Mode: No Flash
Focal Length: 50 mm
F-Number: F/2.8
Exposure Time: 1/25 sec.
Exposure Compensation: +0.3 step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom