• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo now the bluest stock in Japan; 85 billion dollar market value.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071015/bs_nm/nintendo_market_value_dc

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.OS) surpassed the 10 trillion yen ($85.08 billion) mark in market value on Monday, joining Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (8306.T) -- the bluest of the blue-chip stocks in Japan.

Toyota is the world's most valuable automaker and Mitsubishi UFJ is Japan's largest bank.

Shares in the Japanese videogame maker rose 4.3 percent to 70,600 yen at 12:24 a.m. EDT, bringing its market capitalization to 10 trillion yen, on expectations that its DS and Wii machines will lead rival game gear in the upcoming year-end shopping season.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well when you look what its been swimming in, no fucking wonder huh.

In before; it prints money, Reggie pics etc.

EDIT: Holy crap, $85 billion. Why they aren't they buying or at least securing any one. Or at least trying to release a region-free Wii.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Shares in the Japanese videogame maker rose 4.3 percent to 70,600 yen at 12:24 a.m. EDT, bringing its market capitalization to 10 trillion yen, on expectations that its DS and Wii machines will lead rival Game Gear in the upcoming year-end shopping season.
Something's not right...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
This needs a posting again....

2zdmvsx.gif

Shares in the Japanese videogame maker rose 4.3 percent to 70,600 yen at 12:24 a.m. EDT, bringing its market capitalization to 10 trillion yen, on expectations that its DS and Wii machines will lead rival game gear in the upcoming year-end shopping season.

And people are just figuring this out now?

Now hopefully they have the balls to sell their hardware at cost to the consumer next gen.

Fully expects the Wii 2 to be a Gamecube 2.875 instead of 2.5

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
perfectchaos007 said:
Why would Nintendo buy a company that doesn't pose a threat to them? Would they even want Sony on the Nintendo team?

Why not? I have 1 dollar, I buy some gum, I don't need the gum, but I bought it anyway.

jrricky

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Why would Nintendo buy a company that doesn't pose a threat to them? Would they even want Sony on the Nintendo team?

They will literally spit on Sony then reject them this time instead of just rejecting them again. :p

Hcoregamer00 said:
Now invest that money and start buying huge exclusives.
It's not like a higher stock price grants them money. They'd need to sell off some of the shares they hold. Not that they're lacking for spending money...

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Region-FreeWii said:
In before; it prints money, Reggie pics etc.

EDIT: Holy crap, $85 billion. Why they aren't they buying or at least securing any one. Or at least trying to release a region-free Wii.

Economics man. Save when things are good spend when things are shitty. See Gamecube.

neptunes

I think its time the invest some of that money.

How about establishing some studios in the west that are akin to those in japan.

no, RETRO alone doesn't cut it.

dfyb

Banned
it's really annoying how a lot of you guys think of the videogame industry as a field of indies that are to be conquered and captured to do slave work.

you'll get better games if you let independent developers create games on the platforms they want to.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AniHawk said:
It would be in line with the other talentless failures Nintendo has bought recently, like Monolithsoft and Retro.
*break Skies of Arcadia disk*

basik

wiifit is gonna be huge, I actually wasnt sure if there was gonna be a demand for it in japan cuz I didnt know if they have weight 'epidemics' like in america... but I read this today:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/T271224.htm

Japanese officials battle through "samurai" diet
12 Oct 2007 10:12:30 GMT
Source: Reuters

TOKYO, Oct 12 (Reuters) - Overweight local government officials in Japan have slimmed down with a three-month "samurai" diet, soldiering on despite a fellow samurai's death.

The mayor of the city of Ise in west Japan and six officials joined forces as the "Seven Metabolic Samurai", after Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" movie, to fight the so-called metabolic syndrome -- excess belly fat, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.

The programme took an unexpected and unfortunate turn when one of the samurai, a 47-year-old city official, died in August from heart failure while he was jogging, a spokeswoman for Ise's public health department said, confirming earlier news reports.

But the remaining samurai continued with the plan, which involved eating healthy food and exercising.

When the programme ended on Thursday, Mayor Takao Morishita had shed 5.6 kg (12 pounds) and trimmed his waistline by 5 cm to 85 cm (33 inches). At least two other officials also succeeded with the diet, while the city is waiting to hear results from the others.

"There was a time when things were rough, but I was able to reach my goals," the mayor said on a panel that showed his diet results. "I want to make sure that my weight won't bounce back."

Metabolic syndrome has become the new buzzword in health-conscious Japan, where nearly 30 percent of Japanese adult males are overweight, according to a government survey from 2005.

Two male officials in the health ministry kept blogs earlier this year to show their efforts in combating the syndrome, while tummy-tightening briefs and "fitness phones" targeting fat-fighting middle-aged men have come on the market.

dfyb said:
sure didn't seem like it when i was there...

though i guess i was used to seeing people in houston, which i think is one of the fattest cities in america.

I live just south of you in Brazoria county. We were the fattest county in America a couple years ago

Top Bottom