• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PSP Media Manager v2.5 now free to download

Schrade

For people who aren't too savvy about converting videos or just want to manage their files on their PSP, Sony has made their PSP Media Manager available for free now.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/store/mediamanager/

Direct download: http://j.dl.playstation.net/j/mmger/mediamanager2.5_setup.exe

This is their software that they used to sell (well, stores are probably still selling it...).

Edit: After using Google Translate a little bit, it sounds like they're making a Media Manager PRO or something... oh well. This should do for some folks.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
This is something that should have been bundled with the new psps from the very start...better late than never...

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
nice one, thanx!

even though I have the original CD, it's alot easier just to download and install. but it sux that you HAVE to install quicktime as well :/

Does it require the official Sony issued firmware or can I still use custom? The reason I ask is because the PSN store requires official firmware.

glaurung

This is a great piece of software for lazy people like me.

But it only makes sense when you have a dedicated 4+ GB memory stick in your PSP, I shuffle mine everywhere so it doesn't work out so well.

Wollan

Like said, should have been free from the start.
But it's good news they wisened up.

They should make a big button on the PC PS Store for the download of this software.

decon

Great, was so stupid to sell this software in the first place and I feel sorry for the people who have. I mean what if iTunes wasn't free?

spwolf

decon said:
Great, was so stupid to sell this software in the first place and I feel sorry for the people who have. I mean what if iTunes wasn't free?

whole point of iTunes is for your to purchase contact from store... which you could not do for PSP before.

Quicktime is still commercial software, right?

theBishop

Banned
Finally. Sony should've done this 2 years ago. In the face of iTunes, trying to charge for essential software was transparently moronic. Good to see them righting obvious wrongs.

That being said, ffmpeg is my friend. I won't be using this.

PS: Where's my custom playlist support!?

theBishop

Banned
spwolf said:
whole point of iTunes is for your to purchase contact from store... which you could not do for PSP before.

Quicktime is still commercial software, right?

iTunes was a free download before the store came online.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrTroubleMaker said:
well this DL isn't pro, but it is 2.5 so... its better than nothing ;)

When u launch it it should say "Media Manager PRO (version 2.5a)" in the loaging screen.

messed around with this earlier, its a "basic" pack -- no video encoding options.

but you can purchase the pro version for $12.95.

Lupin3

Damn, cant transfer any movies with it. There's always this tiny red "no-no" icon on every video file :(

FW 3.6

Schrade

Bastards. I knew there was a catch.

Oh well. Hopefully I'll be able to release a few ways to encode videos easier during my Christmas break from work.

One method is using Avidemux and Sharktooth's x264 settings for meGUI. I Might also make an mencoder or ffmpeg method too.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lupin3 said:
Damn, cant transfer any movies with it. There's always this tiny red "no-no" icon on every video file :(

FW 3.6

did you plug the system to the pc via usb?
did u start usb connection on the psp?
are u in the movie section of media manager?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I dunno, this software still has some weird drawbacks. Nice enough interface that's pretty well organized but video conversion performance is blah and some functions are outright buggy like the backup function for PS Store downloads.

Lupin3

TTP said:
did you plug the system to the pc via usb?
did u start usb connection on the psp?
are u in the movie section of media manager?

Yes x3.

Did everything just like I used to when I used my old original copy. No worries though, since I can install that one again, just that I had some other problems with it, like "invalid file" and stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Too bad all my Office episodes from iTunes and Unbox are DRMed to hell. Is there any legit way to even get shows and movies on your PSP? Love the screen but I just don't have the content.

theBishop

Banned
AstroLad said:
Too bad all my Office episodes from iTunes and Unbox are DRMed to hell. Is there any legit way to even get shows and movies on your PSP? Love the screen but I just don't have the content.

that's actually a really good question.

- Ripping most commercial DVDs is illegal in the US.
- Torrents of TV and movies are illegal.
- Studios support streaming but not downloading from their websites.
- Legit downloads are DRMed to hell, which is illegal to circumvent

I think the only legal way to watch studio content from a memory stick on your PSP would be to capture it through an analog connection.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
theBishop said:
I think the only legal way to watch studio content from a memory stick on your PSP would be to capture it through an analog connection.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Such a backwards situation that I'm sure contributes to piracy (or at least what is legally defined as "piracy," even if it's not normatively condemnable). Maybe the content industries will get their acts together in time for PSP2.

theBishop

Banned
AstroLad said:
Yeah, that's what I figured. Such a backwards situation that I'm sure contributes to piracy (or at least what is legally defined as "piracy," even if it's not normatively condemnable). Maybe the content industries will get their acts together in time for PSP2.

The content industries aren't the problem. Well, they are, but they will always be a problem.

The real problem is the government who for some braindead reason made it illegal to circumvent copyright protection schemes. If publishers want to cripple their products with encryption, that's their business. I don't see why the government has any business policing it.

you could always move to a country who's laws aren't completely lined up against the rights of consumers.

messed around with it a bit more,

one thing it does alright is audio cd track ripping and adding em to your psp in one step.

although it creates em into their own folder on the mem stick (but still under the music folder), so those that wanted em mixed in with the rest of your mp3s (for shuffle) may still need to move em around manually.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
theBishop said:
The content industries aren't the problem. Well, they are, but they will always be a problem.

The real problem is the government who for some braindead reason made it illegal to circumvent copyright protection schemes. If publishers want to cripple their products with encryption, that's their business. I don't see why the government has any business policing it.

Well the content industries pushed for anti-circumvention as a part of the DMCA. They essentially control the whole process, and have for the past hundred years. There are failures left and right though, and as a result you can legally watch . . . uploaded home videos on your PSP?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
AstroLad said:
as a result you can legally watch . . . uploaded home videos on your PSP?
At one time there were video podcasts to watch, at least...before just every one of those podcasts moved onto video encoding schemes that the PSP doesn't support ATM.

Sony still runs their Connect site for free video downloads to the PSP (video.connect.com) - they get the content from a variety of providers but none of it covers mainstream TV shows or movies, unsurprisingly.

GameGamer

spindoc said:
This is something that should have been bundled with the new psps from the very start...better late than never...

That's what I was thinking.

Way to throw off people.

I wanted it, but was never going to pay for it.

I'll be glad to check it out now that it's freely available.

Firestorm

theBishop said:
that's actually a really good question.

- Ripping most commercial DVDs is illegal in the US.
- Torrents of TV and movies are illegal.
- Studios support streaming but not downloading from their websites.
- Legit downloads are DRMed to hell, which is illegal to circumvent

Legal in Canada so let's keep this discussion going! :D

Is this better than PSPVideo9? I like the quality I got out of PSPVideo9... full resolution, AVC or something. But the ads are horribly annoying and in your face.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
Legal in Canada so let's keep this discussion going! :D

Is this better than PSPVideo9? I like the quality I got out of PSPVideo9... full resolution, AVC or something. But the ads are horribly annoying and in your face.

Read the thread, it's been castrated so it can't re-encode video for you.

Top Bottom