• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My newest console might be my favourite of all time

Xisiqomelir

00005.jpg

real
Shooters, fighters, RPGs and crazy, crazy 2D. Seriously, it's like this thing was designed for me. The controller is out-and-out sex. God, collecting for it is generally super-cheap, too.

Big thanks to everyone in all the various Saturn threads for their recommendations, particularly Segata, ethelred, D.Lo, jay and most especially drohne, whose Layer Section recommendation was just too good. Oh, and Eggo, for tipping me over to Saturn and not Dreamcast.

My starter library:

00007.jpg

EDIT: Readable titles version

00009.jpg

Everything has been a pure joy explosion so far, except for Azel/Saga, which I'm not touching until I can find PD 1&2 and then beat them.

yeah... the Saturn was like the drunken artistic hobo of the 32bit era.

funny at first, then the shit smell makes you want it to just leave the party.

The PSX version of Dodonpachi is better.

*shrug*

Also when you sell Radiant Silvergun after you get bored of it in less than a month buy Battle Garegga.

Xisiqomelir

sk3tch said:
Can you give us a ballpark cost for this new endeavor of yours?

Saturn was $40, Action Replay was $25, games were like...$400 so far? Mostly RS' fault, of course.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Also when you sell Radiant Silvergun after you get bored of it in less than a month buy Battle Garegga.

Looking at eBay right now, I could make $30 profit already lol.

Oh and I hate to tell you this but Panzer Dragoon Azel JP doesn't support the 4 in 1. It MIGHT work but if it doesn't you'll most likely need to buy a JP system to play it(which still manages to be cheaper than getting the US version of PDS)

Xisiqomelir

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh and I hate to tell you this but Panzer Dragoon Azel JP doesn't support the 4 in 1. It MIGHT work but if it doesn't you'll most likely need to buy a JP system to play it(which still manages to be cheaper than getting the US version of PDS)

Really? Tricked by Gamefaqs again :(

Secks4Food said:
"generally super cheap"

lolz

My cousin collects AES. Saturn is cheap.

Xisiqomelir said:
Really? Tricked by Gamefaqs again :(

I'm not 100% but if it doesn't work with the 4in1 then yeah...there you go. =/
Also when you go shopping for Soukygurentai make sure to pick up the "Otokoyou(sp)" version. Not only does it include a Battle Garegga demo but it also actually works with the 4in1(the original release has issues).

You can tell Otokyouyou by looking for a white border around the cover.

Interestingly enough a good 90% of the Saturn's library can be had for between $5 and $10 each(especially if you go after the JP version). Unfortunately the more expensive/"rare" titles stick out.

ethelred

Xisiqomelir said:
Big thanks to everyone in all the various Saturn threads for their recommendations, particularly Segata, ethelred, D.Lo, jay and most especially drohne, whose Layer Section recommendation was just too good.

You're welcome!

It really is an awesome system, and more important, the Saturn was 2D's last great hurrah.

sk3tch

TheJollyCorner said:

I lol'd.

Also, thanks for the price update. It is about what I figured (too much for me). I think I'd dig the Saturn as well (well, a second time through - this time I'd get Japanese imports)...but that's too rich for my blood.

karasu

I miss that generation. We don't get niche fighters or games like Guardian Heroes and such anymore.

bdouble

Geez there are so many consoles I haven't owned that were great. Dreamcast and Sony products are where I'm lacking the most. I just hope I can cover my Sony bases and hunt down a 60g PS3 when the time comes. That will take care of the lack of PS1 and PS2 in my life.

Have fun with it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It is well known that Azel doesnt work with RAM carts.
Sad but true.

Let's see:

Bubble Symphony
Elevator Action Returns
Sonic Wings Special
Clockwork Knight 2(either the US version or the red-box JP version as they both contain the first game along with other extras)
Shining Wisdom
Fighters Megamix
Shinobi Legions(actually skip the game, just watch the cutscenes on youtube for a good laugh)
Batsugun
Parodius Deluxe, Oshamaberi, and Sexy.
Salamander Deluxe(unless of course you own a PSP)

Welcome to the club! You'll love it!

I was getting annoyed with Assassin's Creed just now, so I turned it off and decided to go play some old-school games instead. Sat down and saw this thread and decided to bust out my Saturn. Now to decide what to play...

My games
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
Astal
Burning Rangers (JP)
Dark Savior
Daytona USA
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
Grandia (JP)
Guardian Heroes
Langrisser III
Langrisser IV
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Panzer Dragoon RPG Azel (JP)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Policenauts (JP)
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge
Nights into Dreams
Sakura Wars (JP)
Sakura Wars 2 (JP)
Shining Force III
Slayers Royal 2
Snatcher (JP)
Tokimeki Memorial (JP)
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers

I thinking some Burning Rangers. :D

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Shinobi Legions

Skip it? Wow... As it plays almost identical to Shinobi 3/Super Shinobi 2, (Which many many people consider to be the best in the series) I find it amazing that someone would warrant a pass on it minus "TEH EFEMVEEZ!"

I am perplexed... But I shouldn't be... As this is NeoGAF.

Tsubaki

(Before clicking on thread): It's gotta be the Saturn. It's gotta be the Saturn. It's gotta be the Saturn.

(After): Kaching!

Good choice.

Btw, Azel will not work on a US Saturn even if you have a converter cart. (4in1 or otherwise) It somehow detects the home region of your console regardless. The only bypass is to have a switch installed or buy a sexy white Saturn (or any other Jp one).

My picks for the system in addition to what you have are:

Chaos Seed (if you have to get one game, it's this one)
Grandia Digital Museum (if you like Grandia, this is an awesome game. and i mean game.)
Thunderforce Goldpack 2 (compilation of TF Arcade which is based off of III, and IV)
and the Panzer Dragoons are no brainers

Tain

Yet another in the Layer Section fan club. It blows my mind that the game is from Nineteen Ninety fucking Three.

Battle Garegga will make so much fun of you, though. It's the shooter equivalent of playing a fighting game against someone who's good enough to just spend the whole match dicking around with you.

the Saturn was 2D's last great hurrah.

I really don't know about that. Most of the amazing 2D stuff that comes to mind when I think of the Saturn are arcade ports.

FrostuTheNinja said:
Skip it? Wow... As it plays almost identical to Shinobi 3/Super Shinobi 2, (Which many many people consider to be the best in the series) I find it amazing that someone would warrant a pass on it minus "TEH EFEMVEEZ!"

I am perplexed... But I shouldn't be... As this is NeoGAF.

It plays almost identical to Shinobi 3 sure but the level design is incredibly weak compared to previous Shinobis.

So yeah that definitely warrants a pass....same with Assault Suits Leynos 2 for that matter. *shrug*

fobtastic

I just had a flashback of that GameFan issue that was pushing Clockwork Knight. I don't know why, but that's the first thing I thought of. Man, I really miss those days...

ethelred

Himuro said:
If he's got games like Radiant Silvergun, he should be able to afford Panzer Dragoon Saga US.

And for an excellent RPG like Saga, it's so much better having the US version so you can fully appreciate the story, setting, and characterization. Especially given how incredibly high quality the localization was. Compare it against contemporary games like FFVII or FFT or Grandia and it's almost laughable how much better PDS is.

Xisiqomelir

Guys, I didn't buy Azel to cheap out, I bought it for Japanese VA.

ethelred, which is the better Lunar, Saturn or PSX? I've never touched the series in my life but you and ghaleon have me hyped.

Dante

TheJollyCorner said:

:lol

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It plays identical to Shinobi 3 sure but the level design is incredibly weak compared to previous Shinobis.

You move left and right... And some stages go vertical... You jump on some boxes... Wall jump and double jump over gaps... Weak compared to the other Shinobi games how?

I feel kinda shitty for defending it... As it's one of thw worst in the series... But it's almost like saying "Pass on Persona 3 because it has randomly generated dungeons"

Top Bottom