• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Development of Shinji Mikami's new project apparently just started...

Gamekult is reporting that Shinji Mikami announced yesterday via his blog that the development of his new project [with Platinum Games, I suppose] just started development, and that he his actively seeking to expand his current staff... No more details yet.
Well, let the speculation begin...or rather, resume...

Draft

Can't wait. Man's such a legendary developer, but he doesn't get the press dudes like Kojima and Miyamoto have.

Kafel

Banned
Would it be surprising to see it released on PS3 knowing ... hmm ... you know ...

edit : Well I think I remember his words. Didn't he say something like : "original for Wii, realistic for 360" ?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Man, Id apply for that job with my eyes closed if I lived in Japan.

Alas, dreams, etc

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Draft said:
Can't wait. Man's such a legendary developer, but he doesn't get the press dudes like Kojima and Miyamoto have.
Much better then Kojima but hardly any can even hold a light to Miyamoto.

Kafel said:
Would it be surprising to see it released on PS3 knowing ... hmm ... you know ...

edit : Well I think I remember his words. Didn't he say something like : "original for Wii, realistic for 360" ?

why?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
seriously. that's the shitty part of this. i was hoping for a gdc announcement/blowout on the game with a late 2008 release, but no dice

beelzebozo said:
seriously. that's the shitty part of this. i was hoping for a gdc announcement/blowout on the game with a late 2008 release, but no dice

Yup, looks like it :

Mikami Discusses New Projects, Bioshock

Next title may arrive within two years.

US, February 21, 2008 - Former Capcom producer/director Shinji Mikami is the latest developer to be featured in Famitsu as part of a series of interviews in commemoration of the magazine's 1000th issue.

Now an employee of Platinum Games, a new studio formed by former Clover and Capcom talent, Mikami recently made headlines by announcing through his blog that he has at long last started on his new project.

Considering that the new game hasn't been formally announced by Platinum or whatever publisher it's working with, it shouldn't be too surprising to learn that Mikami didn't get too specific with Famitsu in discussing the game. The magazine asked him when we can expect to see the fruits of his labor, to which he responded a noncommittal, "It's just started so I'm not sure, but maybe within two years."

Mikami is serving as the director on this title, a role that he seems to relish. "I've been separated from development for so long that I'm just having so much fun," he said. Perhaps too much fun. Always the jokester, he also noted, "It's possible that the next title will, both physically and mentally, be my last."

In addition to this mysterious new game, Mikami is working with Killer 7 and No More Heroes director Suda 51 on another title. "I'm serving as the producer on this one," said Mikami. "I've been involved with it longer than I was with Killer 7, so I want you to look forward to it."

As it did with the recent Shigeru Miyamoto and Akihiro Hino interviews, the magazine asked Mikami to name his top creators and games. On the creator side, he mentioned Suda 51 as someone he'd like to support. However, the person he most has his eye on is Smash Bros. Brawl director Masahiro Sakurai. He's particular interesting in seeing the result of Sakurai developing a true 3D game on an extremely high spec machine.

On the game side, his top pick for 2007 was Bioshock. "I believe it was the best game of 2007," said Mikami. And with perfect timing too, as Bioshock's Japanese version just saw release today!

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/854/854139p1.html

So...2010, at worst...
Well, at least, his project with Suda looks well underway, so there is a chance that the gamers could taste some of Mikami's genius this year.

Artie

And I thought I couldn't like this guy anymore. Likes my favorite game (BioShock), and has interest in Sakurai.

Dream game: Mikami + Sakurai. Hmmm Make it happen guys!

Scenester

shintoki said:
Much better then Kojima but hardly any can even hold a light to Miyamoto.

lol wut

Mikami's games are far better than Miyamoto's

but anyway Im mad pumped for the Mikami and Suda 51 game, should be hot, and violent

Scenester said:
lol wut

1z4fkt1.gif

JDSN

Banned
Sucks that he (along with every original) is out of the Resident Evil series, my guess that his next game will be on the DS or a MS exclusive, I just hope that he succeed where others have failed.

beef3483

I can't describe how shitty this is. This console cycle will be on its downside before we will see anything from him.

JDSN

Banned
beef3483 said:
I can't describe how shitty this is. This console cycle will be on its downside before we will see anything from him.

Consider it a grand finale, like Resident Evil 4.

masud

Banned
Scenester said:
lol wut

but anyway Im mad pumped for the Mikami and Suda 51 game, should be hot, and violent
You bumped the thread for that? Really?

However, the person he most has his eye on is Smash Bros. Brawl director Masahiro Sakurai. He's particular interesting in seeing the result of Sakurai developing a true 3D game on an extremely high spec machine.

wat

scitek

Scenester said:
lol wut

Well, that sums you up.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I think everything that I relish, value, and enjoy about video games can be summed up with two words.

Mikami + Suda

:D :D :D :D

VerTiGo

Banned
I can't help but think that the Mikami and Suda project is just Fatal Frame IV. If it's something original then even better.

Tristam

masud said:
You bumped the thread for that? Really?

I'm glad he bumped the thread because somehow I missed this.

Anyway, after God Hand and RE4, I trust Mikami more than any other game designer in the industry. Dude is straight up the best.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't even recall this thread...then again...I don't really recall much:lol
But I agree with myself like normal:lol

Scenester

Tristam said:
I'm glad he bumped the thread because somehow I missed this.

Anyway, after God Hand and RE4, I trust Mikami more than any other game designer in the industry. Dude is straight up the best.

see what did I tell you guys? haters = pissed on, as usual

Tenbatsu

Seeing how he made the comment that he wanted to see Sakurai making a game on a higher end console gave me the feeling that he is developing a new game on the PS3/360 platform. IMO.

Dascu

Tenbatsu said:
Seeing how he made the comment that he wanted to see Sakurai making a game on a higher end console gave me the feeling that he is developing a new game on the PS3/360 platform. IMO.
Well, he wasn't really keen on Sony platforms all that much, so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd do an Xbox360 exclusive. He's also expressed plenty of interest in the Wii, so a project like that might happen as well (maybe/hopefully his Suda collaboration?).

VerTiGo said:
I can't help but think that the Mikami and Suda project is just Fatal Frame IV. If it's something original then even better.

That sounds very plausible actually, especially with Mikami's experience in the horror genre!

Dascu

VerTiGo said:
Hmm, why? We've already got Keisuke Kikuchi and Suda as directors, Nintendo publishing, Tecmo and Grasshopper developing... Yet another party involved (Mikami/Platinum Games) would be a bit too much, no?

Top Bottom