• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Exploit Update: Pong now bootable...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
...but not playable. The controls don't work.

Those hackers work fast. Two days ago, we saw a demo of the Zelda: Twilight Princess exploit, which allowed for the possibility of Nintendo's Wii to boot homebrew code off of SD cards via stack smashing (buffer overflow). Now a clever coder named Auby has gone ahead and extended the hack to load an ELF version of Pong which was originally coded for the GameCube. Right now the controls aren't functioning, but it appears that this is a work in progress, so we should be seeing updates to it soon. Check the video after the break to watch the breathtaking drama unfold.
source

Now stop playing pong and get a Bootdisk ok? Good!

legend166

Listen hackers - you don't need controls to make a region free hack.

HENCE, you should be doing that instead of working on pong.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So they maxed out the hardware already?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
TAJ said:

Oh man that is hilarious, perhaps what I will do is next time a 360 thread is made go into it and just "loololo red ring" it will be just as funny yes? My work mates cannot believe how much I am laughing.

fernoca

TAJ said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

rezuth

legend166 said:

They have not worked on pong, they just put it there.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hmm, looks like this won't be used to pirate retail Wii games any time soon. Nintendo dodged a bullet.

OatmealMu

TAJ said:

200801201600576276814-pf.widec.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
legend166 said:

If you want that region free hack to be able to deal with the region-locked mandatory firmware updates Nintendo has been including on disc without bricking your fucking Wii, these guys are going to have to get a good deal deeper into the Wii's innards.

This thread title reminded me that I want one of those Pong clocks. So I looked, but I didn't find one on eBay so now I am sad. Thanks a lot, Gaf. :(

Speevy

Banned
Exactly how much hardware horsepower does the Wii have that the Gamecube didn't?

What are they trying to achieve exactly?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Speevy said:
Exactly how much hardware horsepower does the Wii have that the Gamecube didn't?

They're hacking stuff.

It's just being able to do it.

Speevy said:

Everyone knows that Pong needs the advanced hardware of the Wii. The Gamecube's built in oscilloscope can't even match the graphical power!

Arthas

Banned
Speevy said:

Homebrew, then the inevitable piracy that comes with it.

jaypah

I AM JOHN! said:
This thread title reminded me that I want one of those Pong clocks. So I looked, but I didn't find one on eBay so now I am sad. Thanks a lot, Gaf. :(

if you really are sad then our collective work is done. "GAF! Nobody Leaves Happy" should be the slogan.

Speevy

Banned
Arthas said:

Well people already steal Wii games and burn them, and they already run tons of homebrew in Gamecube mode (including Pong).

I just want to know what these people think the Wii can do beyond that.

TAJ

Arthas said:

When the 360 got hacked, didn't only pirated games work, not homebrew?

TAJ

Speevy said:
Well people already steal Wii games and burn them

Wait, what?! How did I miss that?

TAJ

Speevy said:
People pirate Xbox 360 games too.

I just said that. And people do rip Blu-Ray movies. (HD-DVD, too)

minus_273

Banned
TAJ said:
When the 360 got hacked, didn't only pirated games work, not homebrew?

i supposed it will be like the homebrew scene on the PSP. the homebrew is so easy and good no one buys games!

legend166

Stumpokapow said:
If you want that region free hack to be able to deal with the region-locked mandatory firmware updates Nintendo has been including on disc without bricking your fucking Wii, these guys are going to have to get a good deal deeper into the Wii's innards.

I know, I know, I'm just so impatient D:

Also, in regards to what the Wii can do over the GCN, you could do that whole head tracking thing that guy set up.

legend166

The guy who said it shouldn't be banned, because it's a funny line.

All the other people that come in to post one liners about how funny it was or, :lol are annoying as hell though.

legend166 said:
The guy who said it shouldn't be banned, because it's a funny line.

All the other people that come in to post one liners about how funny it was or, :lol are annoying as hell though.
Yourself included?

Top Bottom