• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lecture videos from a game design course

Zoe

Edit: Files are gone now.

I figured some people here might find these interesting. The school didn't inform those of us who took the class that they were put up, so I have no idea how long they'll last.

Last fall at UT, Warren Spector led a master class on game design. It was an all-day class with a lab portion for the first half, and a lecture/Q&A for the second half. The following lectures have been posted to the site:

Gordon Wallace
Hal Barwood
Harvey Smith
Marc Leblanc
Matthew Bellows
Mike Morhaime
Patricia York
Paul Weaver
Richard Hilleman
Seamus Blackley
Tim Willits
Warren Spector
Richard Garriot
ttp://rtf.utexas.edu/rtf343/media.html
(some of the links are wrong, but they're all there)

I haven't gone through them yet (most of them are over 2.5 hours long), but the quality is decent. Unfortunately my favorite lecture (Paul Weaver) wasn't uploaded in its entirety :(

Some of these are rehashes of previous presentations (I remember Mike Morhaim reused his from a previous convention), but there are still Q&A portions if you've heard this stuff before. Also, Warren Spector gave additional lectures after the Patricia York and Matthew Bellows talks.

Personally, I found the Richard Hilleman (EA), Richard Garriot (Lord British), and Seamus Blackley (too many roles to list) to be the most enjoyable lectures. The day Marc LeBlanc came was cool too because he came into the lab portion and put us through a design exercise where we had to take a known video game and turn it into a board game.

Zoe

{Mike} said:
I feel bad knowing only the last guy :/

Haha, I felt bad for NOT knowing who he was :p

A friend and I were walking around campus right before the lecture, and he told a friend of his about it. I swear I had never literally seen somebody's eyes widen and jaw drop before :lol

I want the internal Disney videos that Spector spoke about in his Edge interview.

I'm shocked they haven't made it online. There's 80 or so on everything from Snow White and ET to the Pixar stuff. Storytelling, lighting.. all that jazz and it's just for training internally.

Jackson

newsguy said:
Dude, why would anyone need lecture videos. Just tighten up the graphics on level 3 with your DS2.
57240e7d.jpg

Slavik81

How can I rip the audio out of these? The videos aspect of the videos don't contain too much information and I'd love to be able to listen to them without being tied to my computer.

Zoe

Slavik81 said:
How can I rip the audio out of these? The videos aspect of the videos don't contain too much information and I'd love to be able to listen to them without being tied to my computer.

Along the same lines, anybody know how these can be made PS3-friendly?

Slavik81 said:
Open each video in audacity and it will only load the audio tracks. Export as your choice of audio format.

I loved the Warren Spector one. I wish there was a progression chronologically so I could "go along" with the class. Going to Seamus next.

Zoe

Grabbing from Warren Spector's blog, not my memory!

September 10: Warren Spector

September 17: Patricia York (HR Director, Disney Interactive Studios)

September 24: Harvey Smith (Creative Cirector, Midway Austin)

October 1: Hal Barwood (Game Designer, Screenwriter, Film Director)

October 8: Matthew Bellows (General Manager, Floodgate Entertainment)

October 15: Marc LeBlanc (Designer/Programmer, Mind Control Software)

October 22: Mike Morhaime (President, Blizzard)

October 29: Tim Willits (Creative Director, id Software)

November 5: Seamus Blackley (Talent Agent, Creative Artists Agency)

--
After that, I believe it was:

November 12: Gordon Wallace
November 19: Paul Weaver
November 26: Richard Garriot
December 3: Richard Hilleman

Gordon Wallace and Paul Weaver may be switched.

Nista

Thanks for the link! If only they had game design master classes back when I was in college. I used to work indirectly with Paul Weaver, so I'm sad his whole video isn't up there. I know what it's like to work on a strange assortment of projects. :lol

Zoe

InterMoniker said:
I'm listening to the Matthew Bellows presentation it's really interesting.

Yeah, that was a good one. It really bugged me though how some guys in the class were all "hur hur hur, casual games, wut."

AnthonyP

Wow, where did you find these at? Are you a student there? Everytime I wish I did game design, I realize I'm not very good with math or art so it definitely suits me better to just write about them lol.

Zoe

AnthonyP said:
Wow, where did you find these at? Are you a student there? Everytime I wish I did game design, I realize I'm not very good with math or art so it definitely suits me better to just write about them lol.

Yeah, I was in the class.

The class was definitely aimed more towards the RTF students rather than the CS students. You may want to look into RTF if it's the writing part that interests you.

Zoe said:
Yeah, that was a good one. It really bugged me though how some guys in the class were all "hur hur hur, casual games, wut."
I know I might not play casual games too often (I'm more into games like cod4) but it is a really interesting lecture. He is not boring to listen to which is a big plus.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Thanks for this - downloading a few right now (painfully slowly) and will watch with great interest.

VicViper

Thanks a lot, very interesting stuff. Should keep me busy for a few days/weekends.

From the syllabus:

Week 5 - Ebert, Roger: "Why games aren't art". ;-)

Zoe

VicViper said:
From the syllabus:

Week 5 - Ebert, Roger: "Why games aren't art". ;-)

heh, yeah... unfortunately the syllabus was pretty much thrown out after the first month, so we never went over any of the readings.

eve241

I just watched the Warren Spector one. Thanks so much for posting this man!

EDIT: NO! I can no longer access the media page!

Zoe

I was worried that would happen (that's why I didn't put any names in the title). The files are still there though (for now).

eve241

Zoe said:
I was worried that would happen (that's why I didn't put any names in the title).

Why would they do that though? They are in a public website and have been posted there for everybody who's interested to watch right?

Oh and I'll ditto Cromulent_Word's request. I on the other hand only got one :(

Enk

makes good threads.
Damn, can't believe I missed these. Hopefully a kind soul will rehost the videos.

Top Bottom