• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mysterious dungeon - Shiren the wanderer official thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasel

so the game get released tomorrow,this means it's time for an official thread
WHAT IS THIS?
shiren the wanderer is a roguelike,for those of you who already played games like izuna or pokemon mysterious dungeon you already know how it works,for those that don't roguelike are rpg with random generated dungeon that contain random generated treasure and monster,the dungeon is divided in square and is usualy composed of rooms and corridor,you start in a random square and can move in a 8-way fashion,every action you do (move,using an item,attack) consumes a turn and everytime you take a turn the monster take a turn too
this one is also based on the snes version relased on 1995,of course it has some improvements like better animation,remade music,more items,monsters,quest
IS THIS GOOD?
yes this game is pretty good,i love it like amir0x loves earthbound,if you thought izuna and pokemon were boring because they were easy or repetitive know that this game is completly different,this one will kick your ass and it will do so in a tons of way,in short it's different and better than your usual run-of-mill rpg
i have already done a lot of topic talking about why i like this one so much,so here are some of the threads
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246697&highlight=shiren
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115722&highlight=shiren
sp0rsk impression
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133953&highlight=shiren
gamesetwatch runtrough with the snes version
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/07/play_journal_of_the_trip_to_ta.php#more
ANY REASON OF WHY I MIGHT NOT LIKE IT?
well beside being a soulless person,everytime you die you lose every progress that means you lose every item you picked and you start at lv 1 again (exception: items stored in warehouse don't get lost) personaly my first time i thought this was a pretty bad idea but by playing the game i understood it is necessary so that the player can't grind his way to victory (which by the way is still possible if you keep upgrading your equipment and store it in your warehouse) beside remember that this game is not dragon quest,a succesfull playtrough trough the game main dungeon can take only a single hour but you will require quite a good number of try before being able to beat it and after finishing it there is a lot of extra content like a harder dungeon or dungeons with special rules... think of this as a more arcadey rpg
another thing is that there are time where you can die a cheap death,you can miss an attack that otherwise would have killed a monster that next turn is going to kill you,you can hit a trap that reduce you to 1 HP or sometime there are room filled with a crazy number of monster (called monster house) of course everything balance,enemies can miss too,and there are way to recognize monster house before entering them (not to mention monster house are full of items)
CAN I HAVE SOME PICS?
sure
awesome1.jpg

awesome2.jpg

awesome3.jpg

awesome4.jpg

awesome5.jpg

awesome6.jpg

WHAT ABOUT VIDEOS?
some trailers
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VxrMdV-Cl68
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d7ghxN1DBwg
and since there is no decent direct-feed video about the ds version you'll have to do with one from the snes one,this one is one of the demo that runs if you let the game run too long without any input still it contain some spoiler about enemies so watch at your own discretion
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mY8PTMCFwDM
MAN THAT COVER IS UGLY
i know,i know :(
if you still have any other question about the game feel free to ask anything about it

LegatoB

Oh, crap, I forgot this was coming out this week. I'm tapped out right now, but I'll snag it next week for sure. I love me some digestible, portable roguelikes.

Aeana

Good; I was hoping someone would make a thread for it.

Shiren is such an excellent game, and the DS version makes it that much better. It's totally worth playing if you like these sorts of games (it's the second-best of its kind, too).

Plus, Shiren 3's localization chances are apparently riding on this. :\

batbeg

Wow, this came out over a year ago in Japan?

I'm very interested in this game, but as an unemployed student I'm far too poor to spend money on things I may enjoy instead of things I'm sure I'll enjoy. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in the coming months though, I think it looks pretty fantastic :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Aeana said:
Good; I was hoping someone would make a thread for it.

Shiren is such an excellent game, and the DS version makes it that much better. It's totally worth playing if you like these sorts of games (it's the second-best of its kind, too).

Plus, Shiren 3's localization chances are apparently riding on this. :\

i'm more of an ARPG person, but a do want shiren3 badly..

*checks bank account, sighs, then starts sifting through his games for pawning candidates*

Pellham

Banned
I have every Shiren game (or did, had to sell the 64 one when I was broke), and it still amazes me that this series has finally, actually come out over here. So i'll be picking it up.

batbeg

Dragona Akehi said:
Can't wait for this game. Everyone needs to buy this or I'm going to ban them.

You say this too much for it to be a worthwhile threat.

Oh shit, I opened myself, I've gotta buy it now.

Teasel

Dracos said:
Is this like the Genesis Fatal Labyrinth? I loved that game.
well i have never played fatal labyrinth but wikipedia says it's a roguelike and this game is a roguelike too so i think yes

Volcynika

I'm reviewing this, and it's my first adventure into roguelikes. Looks pretty interesting though! As long as it's better than Dungeon Explorer DS D:

Man, I was so sure this wouldn't come out in the US I imported it, and basically can't use any scrolls. I don't want to admit failure and buy it again.

Volcynika

Teasel said:
volcynka if you need any help of sort ask away,i have lot of experience with the snes version

Thanks! Though, due to my school not taking FedEX or UPS stuff, I have to get my parents to mail it to me, and probably won't have it until next week sometime :/

Teasel

dark steve said:
No offense teasel but this is pretty half-assed.

Very nearly real-assed.
there are pics,video,impressions and a description of why i think the game is good based on my experience with the snes version
say what is missing and i will add it

Teasel

Arde5643 said:
Hi Teasel,

How is this game compared to Torneko's dungeon for SNES?
better,there is more variety in monsters and item though it's lacking the "bring money at home to improve your HQ" aspect
also after finishing the game you get bonus dungeons that play with different aspects like the game... for example in one of them
you get a special equipment that make it so that monster will be affected by traps instead of you

Teasel said:
there are pics,video,impressions and a description of why i think the game is good based on my experience with the snes version
say what is missing and i will add it

You're not prepared to add it, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Trust me, there are ways to be heard.

emilio

Don't judge a book by its cover, and in this case, please ignore the cover and get this gem. It's so worth it.

ghibli99

Thanks for the FYI... first I've ever heard of this game. The 2D paintings from the other thread are pretty badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom