• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSBB Online region locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ysiadmihi said:
No, it is not. I'm playing vs a US copy right now with my Japanese version.

Using Friend codes? (Oh god please let this be true, I'm sick of not being able to play my friends who have PAL Wii games!)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Using Friend codes? (Oh god please let this be true, I'm sick of not being able to play my friends who have PAL Wii games!)

Friend codes or random matches, it doesn't matter. The only thing is you can't play random matches vs other regions if you are too far away because of lag.

Ysiadmihi said:
Friend codes or random matches, it doesn't matter. The only thing is you can't play random matches vs other regions if you are too far away because of lag.

YES! Thank you sweet Jesus! :D I was afraid that with Mario Strikers, Metroid Prime 3 and Endless Ocean there as a bad precedent that Nintendo would stick with region locking all of their online Wii games!

Edit Oh wait I forgot, Mario Kart Wii lets you choose between regional and worldwide online play so it was just me being paranoid after all!

mutsu

Ysiadmihi said:

That's the thing I am suffering right now. I bought a Japanese version and wanting to do online random battles. However I was never successful in doing so. I always assumed that it's because they don't pair people together if there's too much lag, and obviously the game isn't out in Australia yet so I am pretty much stuck with playing friends online at the moment... :(

legend166

This wouldn't make much sense, since they specifically said on the website you could play with anyone, worldwide.

legend166 said:
This wouldn't make much sense, since they specifically said on the website you could play with anyone, worldwide.

They said the same thing about Mario Strikers, but they went ahead and region blocked it anyway!

legend166

I don't remember them saying that about Strikers, but if you say so.

Anyways, it's already been confirmed this isn't true, so it's all good.

Lobster

Banned
legend166 said:
I don't remember them saying that about Strikers, but if you say so.

Anyways, it's already been confirmed this isn't true, so it's all good.

Strikers is definitely region locked.

SSBB will probably be region locked for Australia aswell.

Thats ok though. Strikers was a popular online Australian game and it didn't even do very well. Brawl will be insane.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I have a Japanese copy of Brawl, my Friend has a US version we have played online many times with friend codes. Matt spreading FUD again it seems.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
2. I'm pretty sure so far that online play is region locked despite Nintendo's original promises. I haven't connected with anybody from Japan and, in fact, have only played against U.S. residents.

Wait, how would he know he was connecting to someone from Japan in a random match anyway? It doesn't give your name and certainly not region in random matches.

legend166

Lobster said:

Thats ok though. Strikers was a popular online Australian game and it didn't even do very well. Brawl will be insane.

Oh, I know Strikers is region locked. I just don't remember them saying otherwise before the fact.

Lobster said:

Why would Nintendo decided to region block SSBB just for Australia? I know that NOAU hates Australians but still, it's extra effort for them to do and I would imagine that they would want to put the least amount of effort in as possible!

Lobster

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Why would Nintendo decided to region block SSBB just for Australia? I know that NOAU hates Australians but still, it's extra effort for them to do and I would imagine that they would want to put the least amount of effort in as possible!

No idea..

They did take out online for MoH:2 so you never know..

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nuclear Muffin said:

Why would it matter? IF they did just get the UK version.

From the Dojo:

But because this form of communication is greatly affected by the distance between you and your opponent, your brawls may not run smoothly if you’re really far apart—like, for instance, if you’re connecting between Japan and America.

Matt fails to research before shooting his mouth off? I am shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom