• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80's Toy Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Here we post pictures of toys from the 80's. Try and get the original loose toy or packaging. Try not to post artwork or scenes from the many cartoons based on the toy lines.

about---OptimusTruckG1.jpg

250px-Smeraldo.cc_heman01.jpg

stormshadowCARDEDcopy.jpg

2005_2024.JPG

dinorider.png

centurions.JPG

85382030_d2932e2ccc.jpg

zap-it.jpg

VHSMission1a.jpg

Az987

all good things
I have so many He-man, Gi Joe, Ninja Turtles and Super Hero action figures in my basement its not even funny.

Edit: I hate how GI Joes had that fucking rubber band holding them together. It always gets worn out and snaps, im sure if I messed with them now theyd all break

bengraven

More that came to mind:

TREE.jpg

viewmaster.jpg

user-image-1175991492.jpg

Key-to-kingdom.JPG

slime.jpg

candyland.jpg

(not the classic Candy Land, but the "new" version that came out in the mid-80's. I had both and remember the new one have such cooler art I never went back)

Not really a "toy", but a nice part of childhood altogether.
snow-704202.JPG

Salmonax

Can we do requests? What the hell was the name of that Transformer that had removable tracks on its back that you could assemble into a circle and send him around like a tank?

frogg609

My grandmother used to get me toys where the figures could swap arms, legs, and even heads. I can't for the life of me remember what they were called. They were probably around 7 inches tall each. Anyone know?

bengraven

Salmonax said:
Can we do requests? What the hell was the name of that Transformer that had removable tracks on its back that you could assemble into a circle and send him around like a tank?

No clue, but I heartily agree to requests. I have a ton I can't remember. I had to find an "80's toys" website to remember the "Woodsies".

frogg609

Salmonax said:

Omega Supreme

tf_omsup1.jpg

frogg609 said:
My grandmother used to get me toys where the figures could swap arms, legs, and even heads. I can't for the life of me remember what they were called. They were probably around 7 inches tall each. Anyone know?

2272699328_0d55080298.jpg

EDIT-NM then.

Speaking of requests, what was that cartoon show in the 80s where it was set in space, and these ships had magnets and they would always be used in some shitty way? The toy ships also had magnets under them.

bengraven

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Speaking of requests, what was that cartoon show in the 80s where it was set in space, and these ships had magnets and they would always be used in some shitty way? The toy ships also had magnets under them.

I was trying to find this too. Swore it was called "Magna-something". All the ships had magnets on top, too, because the little toy figures had magnetic feet for "space walks".

I had this small badass evil black ship with figure back in the day. Would love to find out what it was.

bengraven said:
I was trying to find this too. Swore it was called "Magna-something". All the ships had magnets on top, too, because the little toy figures had magnetic feet for "space walks".

I had this small badass evil black ship with figure back in the day. Would love to find out what it was.

Yeah! God I remember going crazy over those toys when our family was stationed in Rotterdam.

bengraven

CommandCenterLoose1a.jpg

Believe it or not. I found my old GoBot Command Center sitting in my mom's musty, wet barn where it had been stored for two years after being in our musty, wet garage for 8 years and a musty, wet abandoned house for another 10 years.

And the batteries still worked. I got the alarm going with just a single button push.

All the male friends I had wanted one of these:

rh-1.jpg

My favorite Transformer (I already posted my favorite GI Joe in the first post). I had TWO of these. My mom bought one for my birthday and grandma for Christmas. Mom was going to take the second one back, but I had already broke the first one, so I got to keep it. They were expensive, but God, I broke so many toys.

c-69_cc1.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's strange seeing black toy guns

chase

Oh god best thread evar.

Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, Centurions, Laser Tag, sound-effect Voltron sword, viewfinder. Such a simpler time. *sniff*

I remember I got a Voltron figure for Xmas one year but they recalled them due to lead paint. I didn't get to play with it after Xmas day. :(

So much nostalgia... head spinning... I remember renting the My Pet Monster movie over and over and over again. Actually, there was an animated movie and a live action movie as I recall. I preferred the latter.

bengraven

Fritz said:
Its friggin Starcom. Had an awesome cartoon as well.

FUCK YEAH SON, that's it!

This is the ship I owned. I played with this thing SO much, but I didn't have any other Starcom toys.
STRS003_300.jpg

sh4mike

Needs more M.A.S.K..

My toys of youth:
- Transformers
- Voltron (lions and cars)
- TMNT
- G.I. Joe
- He-Man
- M.A.S.K.
- Thundercats
- Go-Bots
- laser tag (white rifle/pistol/front+back+head sensors -- 5 on 5 in the cul-de-sac)

dextran

bengraven said:
FUCK YEAH SON, that's it!

This is the ship I owned. I played with this thing SO much, but I didn't have any other Starcom toys.
STRS003_300.jpg

oh hell yeah. I forgot I had this thing. I loved how slowly everything would open up, and the sound.

bengraven

Kandinsky said:
Ok, i feel fking old, thank you OP >(

Gotta accept it. Sorry.

It was either this or someone posts a "90's Toy Appreciation Thread" and you feel much more old.

dextran said:
oh hell yeah. I forgot I had this thing. I loved how slowly everything would open up, and the sound.

Oh YEAH, I completely forgot about that! That was one of the best parts, aside from how black and evil it looked. Other than the blue thrusters on back, it holds up surprisingly well in the design department.

chase

Oh god I completely forgot about M.U.S.C.L.E.

I never had any but my friends brought them on the bus and I'd borrow them then. :lol

bengraven

chase said:
Oh god I completely forgot about M.U.S.C.L.E.

I never had any but my friends brought them on the bus and I'd borrow them then. :lol

The best part about the 80's were all those toys that came in multipacks like M.U.S.C.L.E and Monster in my Pocket. You were basically getting multiple toys in one box and as a poor kid this was perfect.

And in reflection, the Monster In My Pockets all would look so badass on my desk, even here in my "professional work environment".

muckhole

Az987 said:
Edit: I hate how GI Joes had that fucking rubber band holding them together. It always gets worn out and snaps, im sure if I messed with them now theyd all break

Go buy some O-rings from the hardware store. It's a pretty quick fix. I used to have a blast taking apart my Joes and putting the "coolest" heads on the "coolest" bodies, and sometimes mixed up the arms/legs just for the hell of it.

bengraven

Guy said:

I was going to post this, but couldn't remember if it came out in the early 90's or not.

In reflection, I never learned how to play though a friend of mine owned it. I wish I had: it's the closest to an RPG I would have until I first played Final Fantasy VI in the mid-90's and since no one I knew played Dungeons and Dragons, it would have been an awesome middle ground.

RumFore

Banned
Bionic Six. You could actually kill someone with these things as they were heavy as hell. So wished I had kept my toys.:lol
243rlab.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom