• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii storage issue continues: You won't believe what I have to delete for more space

So we've had this discussion before, and we've heard Nintendo talk about the "The Wii is like a refrigerator...you gotta empty out the old stuff" argument. Well today, getting ready to download all the WiiWare titles, I erased all VC channels and only had the Internet Channel and Nintendo Channel loaded on my Wii. Despite this, I only had 515 blocks of free space to download WiiWare games. 515, enough to download 2-3 WiiWare games. So what was causing this storage crisis?

Save files

That's right. All the save files for my games were very covertly taking up space on my Wii. Granted, I own more games than most (almost 200 Virtual Console games and over 55 Wii games). But what's been becoming an issue lately are all the games that will not allow me to copy the saves over to SD card (i.e. Sper Smash Bros. Brawl is 128 blocks, Mario Kart is 23, Elebits is 109, the Nintendo channel is 123 blocks, the Internet Channel is about 40 blocks, etc.). Also, if the Wii game has any Nintendo WiFi connection features, you cannot copy the save to SD card to conserve space. I had to erase the heavily used Internet Channel and the newly released Nintendo Channel to download 2 more games for a total of 5 games downloaded. I still didn't have enough room to download the final WiiWare game, so I had to copy one game to SD card, erase it, then go back to the Wii Shop channel to download the final game. The is starting to really get pathetic.

So Nintendo, with 515 blocks after deleting EVERYTHING, would you really want me to store 255 save files to SD? How bout I can't empty the Wii-fridgerator of my WFC games? Does Nintendo want me to flat out erase my WFC game save files? That media solution Iwata was talking about can't come soon enough.

Xeke

Banned
MiketheBSG said:
So we've had this discussion before, and we've heard Nintendo talk about the "The Wii is like a refrigerator...you gotta empty out the old stuff" argument. Well today, getting ready to download all the WiiWare titles, I erased all VC channels and only had the Internet Channel and Nintendo Channel loaded on my Wii. Despite this, I only had 515 blocks of free space to download WiiWare games. 515, enough to download 2-3 WiiWare games. So what was causing this storage crisis?

Save files

That's right. All the save files for my games were very covertly taking up space on my Wii. Granted, I own more games than most (almost 200 Virtual Console games and over 55 Wii games). But what's been becoming an issue lately are all the games that will not allow me to copy the saves over to SD card (i.e. Sper Smash Bros. Brawl is 128 blocks, Mario Kart is 23, Elebits is 109, the Nintendo channel is 123 blocks, the Internet Channel is about 40 blocks, etc.). Also, if the Wii game has any Nintendo WiFi connection features, you cannot copy the save to SD card to conserve space. I had to erase the heavily used Internet Channel and the newly released Nintendo Channel to download 2 more games for a total of 5 games downloaded. I still didn't have enough room to download the final WiiWare game, so I had to copy one game to SD card, erase it, then go back to the Wii Shop channel to download the final game. The is starting to really get pathetic.

So Nintendo, with 515 blocks after deleting EVERYTHING, would you really want me to store 255 save files to SD? How bout I can't empty the Wii-fridgerator of my WFC games? Does Nintendo want me to flat out erase my WFC game save files? That media solution Iwata was talking about can't come soon enough.

200 VC games, what the fuck dude?:lol

clav

Spin it this way: Just be happy you won't have to suffer hard drive dying issues like the Xbox 360 and PS3.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I thought I was bad with owning like 30 games or something of that nonsense and like 6 virtual console games but fuck dude, I at least go outside and shit.

fernoca

I kinda doubt..that Nintendo was expecting people to have around 255 save files in less than 2 years..much less by 200 Virtual Console games..for ***'s sake! :lol :lol

Sharp

It's still stupid that Nintendo won't let you copy some game saves onto an SD card. It basically renders their entire argument about fridges or whatever obsolete.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Crushed said:
Jesus Fucking Christ, what the hell are you buying?

"OH MY GOD!!! LEGEND OF KAGE IS ON!!!!!!!!!"

next week,

"OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! CLU CLU LAND IS ON!()#@!()¨!()@&!()&!@"

That's the only logical explanation I see.

Banned
Holy Moly! I have remorse for a few of the 6 VC games i've bought!

How does it feel knowing Nintendo laughs at you whilst banking their cheques?

fernoca

Sharp said:
It's still stupid that Nintendo won't let you copy some game saves onto an SD card. It basically renders their entire argument about fridges or whatever obsolete.
Is only with Wi-Fi enabled game, because of the whole Friend Code/online thingie..
The other consoles have that too..

Sharp said:
Agreed. Of course, the fridge argument was retarded to begin with.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Guybrush Threepwood said:
There are 223 total VC games in the North American Store. :lol

Okay Mike, seriously just list the VC games you DON'T have. That's going to be extremely interesting. :lol

fernoca

Jiguryo said:
"OH MY GOD!!! LEGEND OF KAGE IS ON!!!!!!!!!"

next week,

"OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! CLU CLU LAND IS ON!()#@!()¨!()@&!()&!@"

That's the only logical explanation I see.
Imagine today.. :p
""OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE'S NOTHING!!! ***Adds 1000 Wii Points****

Crushed

Fry Daddy
fernoca said:
Imagine today.. :p
""OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE'S NOTHING!!! ***Adds 1000 Wii Points****
No, he just scrolled through the VC list until he saw a slot that WASN'T highlighted.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
MiketheBSG said:
200 Virtual Console games and over 55 Wii games

14lkaoj.jpg

Gaborn

Crushed said:
Okay Mike, seriously just list the VC games you DON'T have. That's going to be extremely interesting. :lol

Ok, I just saw this... you realize of course that if he does do that he's going to find a game or two he just HAS to have and buy that while he's checking, right?

Xabora

Dude, just get a 2gig SD Card. :p
And don't transfer the saves.

also

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY EVERY FREAKING GAME FOR THE WII.
WHILE YES IT IS GOOD FOR THE DEVS YOU COULD GIFT PEOPLE GAMES.
Like Ford Prefect.

fernoca

Crushed said:
No, he just scrolled through the VC list until he saw a slot that WASN'T highlighted.
:lol :lol
The weird thing is how he says...
Despite this, I only had 515 blocks of free space to download WiiWare games. 515, enough to download 2-3 WiiWare games.
Yet, WiiWare launched with ..5 games..is like he was planning to get all 5 games..

This is a huge problem that Nintendo already has the answer for, but they are too lazy to do jack shit to fix it. If they even speed up the incredibly long time it takes to transfer to an SD card, that is a step in the right direction, but after months of the Wii being out they havent fixed anything. It isn't like I want more space to put illegal games or whatever shit on the Wii, I want more space so I can give Nintendo more money for games. Worst is when there are people (like the few in the Lost Winds thread) who are willing to put up with this stuff. Sadly, I am gonna have to be one of those suckers now because I want to play Lost Winds, gotta transfer more shit at slow speeds onto my SD card to get another game.

Tenbatsu

Linkzg said:
This is a huge problem that Nintendo already has the answer for, but they are too lazy to do jack shit to fix it. If they even speed up the incredibly long time it takes to transfer to an SD card, that is a step in the right direction, but after months of the Wii being out they havent fixed anything. It isn't like I want more space to put illegal games or whatever shit on the Wii, I want more space so I can give Nintendo more money for games. Worst is when there are people (like the few in the Lost Winds thread) who are willing to put up with this stuff. Sadly, I am gonna have to be one of those suckers now because I want to play Lost Winds, gotta transfer more shit at slow speeds onto my SD card to get another game.
Why dont you delete and redownload? Its faster that way.

Hellsing321 said:
I'm more amazed at the 55 retail games.
I could actually see that. It sounds like a lot, but it adds up.

Every major first party Nintendo game, all of the big third party games, and then a handful of niche titles that may not be highly reviewed or much praised here on GAF but still fit the OP's tastes.

It's possible to have a decent collection of 55 respectable Wii games.

I wish he'd name his 55 retail games and 200 VC games though.

Sharp said:

Pretty much. I'm going to put Nintendo on notice for this. Of course Nintendo is one of the most stuborn companies in the world but they need to know about this problem. See, the problem is that it wasn't a question of what channels to delete because there were none on my Wii. I had to question erasing save files, and that is a huge gamer no-no.

Oh, and I don't know if most of you all remember me, but I was the one that had that article "I own 116 Virtual Console Games" thread and got blasted a while ago...lol

Somnid

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Let's not overlook the fact that he owns over 55 Wii games.

That's easily over $2000 :lol

I did a little check. If he didn't buy the top 23 most expensive VC games he's still spent $1311 on VC games alone.

Hellsing321 said:
I'm more amazed at the 55 retail games.

I have close to 40 Wii games (I just counted and am amazed) and I think there are only about two or three games that are bad out of the whole bunch of them.

wow, I have a lot of games...I never noticed this before, but this is only after a year and a few months. I still have more 360 games and a lot more PS2 games, but still...wow.

Top Bottom