• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Donkey Konga 3

HUELEN10

So, I got a copy of Donkey Konga 3 in the mail today, so this makes me 3 years LTTP. Not that bad really. It is great game, and one of the nicest surprises was finding out that the Shin Chan theme is in it. unfortunately, I can't save, at all! I am using a freeloader, so what would fix the problem? A hardware region mod, or a Japanese GCN card? If any of you know, I would appreciate it, as I long to play the famicom songs in the game. Anyways, the game is great, and if you are into the tracklist and enjoy the Donkey Konga games, you will love this.

HUELEN10

Guybrush Threepwood said:
There was a Donkey Konga 3?
Yep
ab1c85a4.jpg

RedNumberFive said:
Where can I find this Donkey Konga 3?
eBay is like your only place right now. Very hard to find, but there are some still up there.

HUELEN10

flamesofchaos said:
3 only came out in Japan because we all know how DKonga 2 turned out and got crap sales.
USA 2 sucked. Japan 2 was alright in my book.

3 kicks ass though.

flamesofchaos said:
3 only came out in Japan because we all know how DKonga 2 turned out and got crap sales.
Unlike NA, Japan got good songs.

Bonus fact about DK3: extra 21 tunes from Nintendo Famicom games are included.

HUELEN10

AlphaTwo00 said:
Unlike NA, Japan got good songs.

THAT is what is killing me. I want these, BAD! But I can't save the game. I do not know what to do.

HUELEN10 said:
THAT is what is killing me. I want these, BAD! But I can't save the game. I do not know what to do.
Ditto. The freeloader trick doesn't work here, as with all Namco/Nintendo games.

You will actually need to mod the GC or have an import JPN GC for it to work.

HUELEN10

AlphaTwo00 said:
Ditto. The freeloader trick doesn't work here, as with all Namco/Nintendo games.

You will actually need to mod the GC or have an import JPN GC for it to work.
Oh so I DON'T need a Japanese memory card? Just a region switch?

Which ones work with this? I would so be willing to do it.

Alpha_eX

There was a problem in Donkey Konga 1 that didn't allow you to save, I was really pissed off because I spent a whole afternoon unlocking stuff only to turn it on the next day with no save file.

Never found a fix for it :(

HUELEN10 said:
Oh so I DON'T need a Japanese memory card? Just a region switch?

Which ones work with this? I would so be willing to do it.
You will still need separate memory card.

All of Namco's releases (most are import worthy: DK1/2/3, Mr. Driller) have a different Unicode save setting, which renders saving useless even with a different card. The problem, as far as I understood, was that the system settings define how the save file was written, something that even the freeloader can't fix.

HUELEN10

GhaleonQ said:
Man, our Donkey Konga 2 makes me sad, even today.
As it should. I got a set for 5 USD JUST for the brand-new DK Bongos.

This was back in early 2007, when GameStop was selling D Konga, D Konga 2, and DK Jungle Beat sets with bongos new for 5 USD, and with a FREE 2nd pair.

HUELEN10

AlphaTwo00 said:
You will still need separate memory card.

All of Namco's releases (most are import worthy: DK1/2/3, Mr. Driller) have a different Unicode save setting, which renders saving useless even with a different card. The problem, as far as I understood, was that the system settings define how the save file was written, something that even the freeloader can't fix.
Wait separate, or Japanese? I have a US card that only has other Japanese saves on that. With a region switch, could I use that card, or do I need a Japanese one?

HUELEN10 said:
Wait separate, or Japanese? I have a US card that only has other Japanese saves on that. With a region switch, could I use that card, or do I need a Japanese one?
Any card will do, but it has to be "formatted" for JPN use.

Bringing a NA card onto a JPN system will automatically prompt you for formatting it.

HUELEN10

AlphaTwo00 said:
Any card will do, but it has to be "formatted" for JPN use.

Bringing a NA card onto a JPN system will automatically prompt you for formatting it.
So I might lose my previous JPN saves? ooh.....

It only has JPN data, but I do not know if it is properly formatted.

Alphahawk

I believe the original US Donkey Konga was actually released as Donkey Konga 2 in japan, thus Donkey Konga 3 would be Donkey Konga 2 in the US, although I could have my game series mixed up...

Balb

Alphahawk said:
I believe the original US Donkey Konga was actually released as Donkey Konga 2 in japan, thus Donkey Konga 3 would be Donkey Konga 2 in the US, although I could have my game series mixed up...

Maybe you're thinking about the Pokemon Stadium games for the N64.

Alphahawk said:
DK1 for both NA and JP were quite similar. DK2 for NA was all Pop songs, and DK2 for JP was all JP Pop songs, structured similar to how DK2 for NA was. DK3 is the middle ground of both, localized for Japan.

HUELEN10

HOLY SHIT! I made a discovery. I REALLY Wanted to save, so I thought I could purposely corrupt an extra card by removing it while saving. I reformatted and guess what?

b78c37ef.jpg

29aca18d.jpg

IT WORKED! I can now save my game!

HUELEN10 said:
HOLY SHIT! I made a discovery. I REALLY Wanted to save, so I thought I could purposely corrupt an extra card by removing it while saving. I reformatted and guess what?

b78c37ef.jpg

29aca18d.jpg

IT WORKED! I can now save my game!
Try playing a few, saving, and loading the game again.

It doesn't quite work(at least when I tried). That gibberish on screen is the problem.

HUELEN10

AlphaTwo00 said:
Try playing a few, saving, and loading the game again.

It doesn't quite work(at least when I tried). That gibberish on screen is the problem.
Worked fine for me. Regardless, I am doing a hardware region mod. You are right, it may not last.

HUELEN10

LakeEarth said:
Who the hell made the decision to make Donkey Konga 2 with no Nintendo songs at all?
Wait....

Even though I technically own it, I never played it. USA Donkey Konga 2 has NO Ninty songs?!?!?!

What about VG songs in general?

AlphaTwo00 said:

Yeah, not to mention the themes from pretty much every great classic Namco game (Dig Dug 1/2, Mappy, Metro Cross, Sky Kid, Rolling Thunder, etc).

Oh, and the Katamari Damacy theme song is in there too. O_O

HUELEN10

bobbyconover said:
Yeah, not to mention the themes from pretty much every great classic Namco game (Dig Dug 1/2, Mappy, Metro Cross, Sky Kid, Rolling Thunder, etc).

Oh, and the Katamari Damacy theme song is in there too. O_O
That is just one of the reasons why this game kicks ass.

Alphahawk

So I just looked up Donkey Konga 3 on Wikipedia, and it says that the full name of it is something to the extent of Donkey Konga 3: All you can eat, 60 song spring mix which is either the most needlessly long game name ever, or the most awesome...

Top Bottom