• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamworks' Katzenberg: "AVATAR will single-handedly revolutionize the film industry"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over at AICN there's an article about Harry visiting Dreamworks' animation studio to check out Monsters vs Aliens, but what is more interesting is the interview with Jeffrey Katzenberg about the upcoming 3D wave of films. Most notably, the praise that Katzenberg - one of the three moguls of Dreamworks has to say about FOX's competition; which he has seen 3D footage of.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37799

The footage I saw was also all in 3D and damn it looked awesome. I also had a conversation with Katzenberg about 3D and the struggle he has in convincing the theatrical companies (ie the theater owners) to make the conversion for the upcoming onslaught of 3D entertainment. Of course – he was preaching to the converted – I’m 100% on board the 3D event film – and I’m also an advocate for 3D in the realm of dramas, comedies and especially Nature Documentaries – not to mention HOME THEATER!!!

Jeffery was philosophical about the battle to bring theater owners around – he has days where he feels defeated and days where he feels it’s all going to work out beautifully – but he’s absolutely convinced that this will help save the movie theater experience and industry.

We’re at a point where the home theater set up… my god, at my house I have something that I feel is more cozy and wonderful than any theater I’ve ever been to. As I work right now – SMART PEOPLE is playing beautifully 9ft by 12ft and there’s zero chance of interruption… of someone chewing popcorn behind my head – and I’m burning a candle that my wife got me that is scenting the room like Cupcakes (a sin I can not partake in, but damn I love that smell)

3D is an experience that for most folks can not really be duplicated at home with the effect it has in a movie theater. And when you have films like MONSTERS VS ALIENS coming in the format – you’ll see what I mean. The big one will be AVATAR – and Katzenberg has seen some of James Cameron’s mysterious film in 3D and he believes it will singlehandedly revolutionize the business. It will be THE experience to experience and Jeffrey’s campaign in many ways isn’t just about getting enough screens to do MONSTERS VS ALIENS – but to pave the way for AVATAR which will convert the unconverted… and will justify his commitment to the format – which he’s dedicated the future of DREAMWORKS ANIMATION to.

MONSTERS VS ALIENS is the first big salvo in the 3D war to win the screens and projectors of movie theaters around the United States and one day the world. Some are betting 3D will be a folly – as it was perceived in the 50s… a cheap trick. Only the technology has improved like so much of the technology we have today. The experience has become vastly superior. Though that isn’t necessarily so – I’d argue that films like DIAL M FOR MURDER and MISS SADIE THOMPSON and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and HOUSE OF WAX are in fact better than any modern 3D movie that I’ve yet seen. I’ve a feeling that will change – I’d love to see non-event movies shot in 3D. Something like a Wes Anderson film or a Paul Thomas Anderson film or a Coen Brothers movie. Something that is just patently cinematic, where 3D is a compelling tool used to draw you into the drama, comedy or suspense. That was a tool for atmosphere and not just about whiz-bangery.

ANYWAY – I’m getting off target… it’s kinda what I do, but I feel that the subject of making cinemas better than they have ever been is important. That the experience is under assault by the home market – and that 3D is part of that answer. The other part is the part that has always been plaguing Hollywood… that is to make compelling and awesome movies that get our asses in seats and returning often. To that end, I can’t say MONSTERS VS ALIENS will be everyone’s cup of tea – but it might be one helluva Coca Cola…

I'm not exactly a disbeliever in the "medium," but I'd have to ask "why?"

Why should I care that something is popping out of the screen? When I see a "2D" film, I still believe the subject is 3D; I don't really have a problem with that aspect.

I guess it must be something experienced to be understood in my case.

G-Fex

Battersea Power Station said:

Why should I care that something is popping out of the screen? When I see a "2D" film, I still believe the subject is 3D; I don't really have a problem with that aspect.

Agreed, I want to see a movie not go on some ride.

Miyahon

Battersea Power Station said:

I've seen a couple of full 3D films (Beowulf, Monster House & Nightmare Before Christmas) and specifically selected 3D scenes (Superman Returns, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix).

It is something you do have to experience because it does make the film much more engrossing.

I still don't think its correct to use those films as an example of the same kind of 3D experience. They're still very much of the old THINGS COMING OUT OF THE SCREEN AT YOUR FACE mentality. Also with AVATAR there won't be that animated disconnect, since its going to be hybrid of live-action and photorealistic CGI. Before I get all the 'HUR HUR PHOTOREALISTIC I'll believe it when I see it' people come in, don't forget that this is coming from the man that instigated CGI in films. Cameron's a fucking perfectionist and I guarantee you he won't allow his baby to look cartoony. They're spending more than 18 months in post-production just because of that.

Rorschach

AmMortal said:
My God.

Just one screenshot man, just one, we need ONE.
1zwkkxw.jpg

Miyahon

Scullibundo said:
I still don't think its correct to use those films as an example of the same kind of 3D experience. They're still very much of the old THINGS COMING OUT OF THE SCREEN AT YOUR FACE mentality. Also with AVATAR there won't be that animated disconnect, since its going to be hybrid of live-action and photorealistic CGI. Before I get all the 'HUR HUR PHOTOREALISTIC I'll believe it when I see it' people come in, don't forget that this is coming from the man that instigated CGI in films. Cameron's a fucking perfectionist and I guarantee you he won't allow his baby to look cartoony. They're spending more than 18 months in post-production just because of that.

Yeah, I agree that live action films, with selected scenes, aren't a good example.

The animated films are somewhat better but still suffer some of the same problems.

Thats why I'm looking forward to Cameron's movie because of the technology involved and it was concieved as a 3D film beforehand not after.

The only problem I still have with 3D films is the blur effect during fast paced action or movement.

Hopefully Cameron's film will have solved this problem and many others.

Well I remember Cameron talking about that problem being solved by the increased capacity of digital projectors to display the films at 40fps, which would eliminate the strobing effect. However I believe he said he wished he could've done it for AVATAR, but didn't because not enough theatres had integrated the digital projectors yet to make it a standard. My memory is fuzzy on that part.

I'm so tired of hearing about this movie. So far all we've heard is how it'll revolutionize something that really doesn't need to be revolutionized. Just give me some more comfortable glasses and I'll be fine. If I want to take a ride I'll visit White Man

PhoenixDark said:
I'm so tired of hearing about this movie. So far all we've heard is how it'll revolutionize something that really doesn't need to be revolutionized. Just give me some more comfortable glasses and I'll be fine. If I want to take a ride I'll visit White Man

I am sure the same was said when Cameron pushed CG with Terminator 2. People fail to see the bigger picture by focusing on sloppy examples.

tak

I hope the current generation of 3D doesn't catch on. It's good, and I enjoy it every once and awhile, but it still destroys the quality of the image.

Zeliard

Why do people keep trying to trivialize Avatar as a "ride"? :lol

If people still think that the use of 3D can only be relegated to 3D Disney rides, then it's no wonder that Avatar will revolutionize the industry.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I still believe 3D serves no useful purpose unless we're dealing with virtual reality apps and media.

Three-dimensionality + editing = wtf

Is this 3D stuff requires a red and blue glasses or special glasses or we're just viewing it normally on the screen just like any regular movies?

librasox

Banned
I won't doubt the man who managed Titanic's production schedule. That movie was released in fucking 1997 and still looks freaking INSANE (saying nothing of the shitty story or anything like that). My jaw still drops at the final hour.

Iksenpets

Banned
Jade Knight 08 said:
Is this 3D stuff requires a red and blue glasses or special glasses or we're just viewing it normally on the screen just like any regular movies?

The glasses are just clear now, so you don't have to deal with red and blue tint anymore, but yeah, you still need glasses.

Zeliard

librasox said:
I won't doubt the man who managed Titanic's production schedule. That movie was released in fucking 1997 and still looks freaking INSANE (saying nothing of the shitty story or anything like that). My jaw still drops at the final hour.

Not to mention Terminator 2, who's CGI graphics held up exceptionally well over the years. It also helped to greatly popularize the use of CGI in movies, and we all know that hasn't made any impact.

Believe in the Cameron.

Evlar

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I don't see how it would be possible to see something in 3D without the glasses.
It's called autostereoscopy and it exists today. Samsung even has cell phone screens that feature it. You can purchase 3D-capable televisions right now. As far as I know none of these technologies work on front projection screens as found in movie theaters, though.

Evlar said:
It's called autostereoscopy and it exists today. Samsung even has cell phone screens that feature it. You can purchase 3D-capable televisions right now. As far as I know none of these technologies work on front projection screens as found in movie theaters, though.

Oh wow awesome.

SuperPac

I like the occasional 3D "event" movie. But I think if every movie started using that gimmick (and that's what it is) I'd like it less and less. Kids movies, OK. The rest..."meh."

JimiNutz

Banned
Looking forward to having Jim blow my mind once again. He scrambled my brain up pretty good the first time I saw T1 and T2. I'm pretty sure AVATAR will cause me to at least dribble on myself a little.

I really hope this 3D technology takes off because it will get me back into the movie theatre. It's rare that I go now unless it's a big summer blockbuster.

gutshot

layzie1989 said:
I still have no clue what the fuck AVATAR is...

It was cleared up for me recently in another thread, so I'll pass it on...

The James Cameron movie that everyone is talking about in here is a futuristic sci-fi movie that was made to be viewed in 3D. Cameron has been working on it for years, it is super secret and is supposed to blow everyone's minds.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is an anime that used to be on Nickelodeon. It is also being made into a movie by M. Night Shymalan.

It is confusing though.

Jade Knight 08 said:
Have you seen a 3D movie in the last 25 years?

jett

D-Member
I'll beilieve it when I see it. Cameron will have to somehow employ the 3D in a way that doesn't seem to go out of its way to make you say OH WOW LOOK IT'S COMING AT MEEEEEEEEE. It'd be nice if Cameron/Katzenberg explained why is it so revolutionary instead of just stating it.

To anyone who has seen it: Is it worth watching Beowulf again in 3D? I've seen it once in 2D, and didn't like it all that much to be honest, and while the tech interests me, it's much more expensive than a regular movie. :p

Scullibundo said:
Well I remember Cameron talking about that problem being solved by the increased capacity of digital projectors to display the films at 40fps, which would eliminate the strobing effect. However I believe he said he wished he could've done it for AVATAR, but didn't because not enough theatres had integrated the digital projectors yet to make it a standard. My memory is fuzzy on that part.

I thought running at 48 frames per second was part of the Digital 3D standard and all projectors ran as such. It's one of the reasons it supposedly(still haven't seen one of these things) looks much better than the previous 3d tech.

Evlar

Banned
jett said:
I'll beilieve it when I see it. Cameron will have to somehow employ the 3D in a way that doesn't seem to go out of its way to make you say OH WOW LOOK IT'S COMING AT MEEEEEEEEE. It'd be nice if Cameron/Katzenberg explained why is it so revolutionary instead of just stating it.
Cameron gave a huuuuge interview on the subject of 3D and expressed his intent to create a dramatic language for 3D cinema. He likened the use of 3D today to the use of standard 2D image film at the turn of the 20th century: Gimmicky, full of "shock" images like run away trains and the famous early sequence (in 2D) with a cowboy breaking the fourth wall and shooting toward the camera: it made people duck and even run out of theaters because they were not yet desensitized to the effects of moving images. You can see the parallel with the 3D in Beowulf (swaying tits, spears jutting out of frame).

Cameron thinks its possible to use 3D effectively without relying on shock value. He wants to create 3D scenes of, for instance, a man and a woman talking at a table in a restaurant. It took filmmakers quite a while to figure out how to do that effectively in standard cinema: Establishing shots followed by cuts to close-ups tracking the flow of the dialogue followed by changes in perspective as necessary to follow the dramatic arc of the scene. It also took a while for audiences to learn how to properly comprehend these collections of moving images, to pull them together subconsciously into a coherent whole. It's the language of film, and we all understand it implicitly now as we grow up with it.

Can 3D work with these scenes? Do you have to push the image to flat in order to accomplish it? The quick cuts and close-ups can be disorienting to the viewer if a pronounced 3D effect is used. Perhaps there's another way to show close dialogue and keep the 3D fully intact? That's what Cameron is working on, and a hundred other knotty problems. He's attempting nothing less than an invention of a new language of film.

FoneBone

^^He's said that he wants to do a smaller, dramatic film in 3D after Avatar. I'm skeptical that that'll actually happen, though.

gutshot

Evlar said:
Cameron gave a huuuuge interview on the subject of 3D and expressed his intent on creating a dramatic language for 3D cinema. He likened the use of 3D today to the use of standard 2D image film at the turn of the 20th century: Gimmicky, full of "shock" images like run away trains and the famous early sequence (in 2D) with a cowboy breaking the fourth wall and shooting toward the camera: it made people duck and even run out of theaters because they were not yet desensitized to the effects of moving images. You can see the parallel with the 3D in Beowulf (swaying tits, spears jutting out of frame).

Cameron thinks its possible to use 3D effectively without relying on shock value. He wants to create 3D scenes of, for instance, a man and a woman talking at a table in a restaurant. It took filmmakers quite a while to figure out how to do that effectively in standard cinema: Establishing shots followed by cuts to close-ups tracking the flow of the dialogue followed by changes in perspective as necessary to follow the dramatic arc of the scene. It also took a while for audiences to learn how to properly comprehend these collections of moving images, to pull them together subconsciously into a coherent whole. It's the language of film, and we all understand it implicitly now as we grow up with it.

Can 3D work with these scenes? Do you have to push the image to flat in order to accomplish it? The quick cuts and close-ups can be disorienting to the viewer if a pronounced 3D effect is used. Perhaps there's another way to show close dialogue and keep the 3D fully intact? That's what Cameron is working on, and a hundred other knotty problems. He's attempting nothing less than an invention of a new language of film.

Wow, I never thought of it like that. That makes 3D sound fucking awesome.
Especially the swaying tits part.

is avatar going to use stereoscopics? that's the only way how i could see this as 'revolutionary'

not to impugne the movie itself though; i'm sure it'll be good

Raistlin

Miyahon said:
The only problem I still have with 3D films is the blur effect during fast paced action or movement.

Really? I've never noticed it being dramatically worse than the blur typical of film.

Fast-paced scenes are always a blur-fest.

Raistlin

Evlar, great post.

People have definitely mistaken 3D to equal the crap we've seen so far ... set pieces designed for shock value. Its no different than when SACD and DVD-A first hit. The engineers wanted to show off multichannel audio, and did so with a very in-your-face mentality.

After the initial wow, you realize it typically didn't add to the music, if anything it took away from it. Luckily, they smartened up. I expect the same to happen with movies.

Sallokin

The last thing I ever experienced in 3D was the Terminator 3-D ride about 10 or 11 years ago at Universal Studios Florida. It blew my mind as a kid. I can't wait for Avatar.

Solo

Im as big of a Cameron supporter as you'll find (well, aside from Scullibundo; I havent crossed the "obsessed" line yet :D ), but Im agreeing with jett for once: I'll believe it when I see it. Simple fact is that Cameron hasnt directed a full-length theatrical feature like this in over a decade, and whether you want to admit it or not, directors can "lose it", no matter how great they once were (see Francis Ford Coppola for the famous example).

Im optimistic, but cautiously so. Im hoping for big things, but wont be shocked if this isnt as great as we think it will be.

Cheebs

Solo said:
Im as big of a Cameron supporter as you'll find (well, aside from Scullibundo; I havent crossed the "obsessed" line yet :D ), but Im agreeing with jett for once: I'll believe it when I see it. Simple fact is that Cameron hasnt directed a full-length theatrical feature like this in over a decade, and whether you want to admit it or not, directors can "lose it", no matter how great they once were (see Francis Ford Coppola for the famous example).

Im optimistic, but cautiously so. Im hoping for big things, but wont be shocked if this isnt as great as we think it will be.
Agreed 100%. I love Cameron and own all of his movies. But it's been over a decade and there have been many directors who lost the touch, I need to see a trailer before I believe Cameron can still pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom