• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

those who bought a 1080P tv for gaming

MrHicks

Banned
whats the point?
hardly any game supports it

heck most aren't even 720p

at this point is 1080 just wasted money or not?
what you say?

jorma

is now taking requests
MrHicks said:
whats the point?

what you say?

It is my intention to keep my current (and very very awesome) television set a little bit longer than my current consoles.

cjelly said:
It makes me feel good about myself on Internet forums.
Basically.

I love my 1080p TV. Nothing feels better than knowing you bought the best tv at the moment.

Then a week later you heard about the revised model

Danielsan

Maybe they bought it so they can watch Blu-ray movies at 1080P?
And to say "I mean just for gaming" is bullshit. Most gamers are film buffs aswell and the majority of people buy their TVs with multiple purposes in mind.

Well I know you said gaming, but Blu-ray and HD-DVD both support it.

The Pixeljunk games are 1080p and I have a feeling that more and more games will be 1080p in the future.

McLovin

MrHicks said:
whats the point?

what you say?
Blu-rays look good.. and when most games do support it I'll be all set. Damn... I just went through my list of games and out of the 16 PS3 BD games I own only 4 support 1080p all the rest are 720p. Lots of the PSN games support it though.

xemumanic

1. I didn't just buy my HDTV for games.
2. There are a few 1080p games.
3. I have a HTPC, and many of my games run at 1080p.

Who are you trying to convince 1080p sets aren't important? Us, or yourself?

I bought a 1080p set, and I bought it for gaming.

Not console gaming specifically though, I run my PC to it. One day I'll own a proper video card to run it...one day. :)

But yeah, I bought it mainly because I keep my TV's for a long while so I figured get one that's compatible with 1080p so that I have the option in the future.

As a side note, why do some people seem....mad(?) at others for buying 1080p sets? There's a lot of snark in these kinds of topics. Just curious.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Danielsan said:
I thought it was 40"?

That and depending on your eyesight and how close you are. I can tell a difference just like I can see gophers from a mile away.

shuri

Banned
I have a 1080P projector! 106 inches of Soul Calibur 4 goodness (at 720p); and awesomely sexy 1080p flicks!

High%20Five.jpg

At launch quite a few brands don't even produce anything other that full HD. I bought a full HD 6 series sammy because of the new image improving techniques. Not specifically because of native 1080p support.

xemumanic said:
1. I didn't just buy my HDTV for games.
2. There are a few 1080p games.
3. I have a HTPC, and many of my games run at 1080p.

Who are you trying to convince 1080p sets aren't important? Us, or yourself?

same here

me said:
As a side note, why do some people seem....mad(?) at others for buying 1080p sets? There's a lot of snark in these kinds of topics. Just curious.

User2k said:
The point is games that do support it look fantastic.

loosus said:
Whoopity do da.

This is the kind of post I was talking about. Why does this guy seemingly feel the need to downplay anothers purchase? 1080p is a weird thing around here.

Don't get it.

so_awes

Banned
gregor7777 said:
This is the kind of post I was talking about. Why does this guy seemingly feel the need to downplay anothers purchase? 1080p is a weird thing around here.

Don't get it.
Because he's an moron. He thinks people buy 1080p TVs just for gaming.

MrHicks

Banned
so_awes said:
Because he's an moron. He thinks people buy 1080p TVs just for gaming.

still can't read?
i KNOW tv's do other shit then gaming you idiot
and there are LOTS of people who buy tv's JUST to play games in their bedroom and whatnot
seriously fucking read!!!

JB1981

It's the 720p sets that lived a short life. Go buy a TV today and you will be deluged with 1080p sets - 720p is a dying breed.

Bubububu 1080p is NICHE. No, it is now STANDARD. But you're right, it sucks that these console don't support the resolution.

If you're a movie lover, it's a godsend, though. The PS3 is worth it for the blu-ray titles alone imo.

ElyrionX

1080p TVs tend to belong to the higher-end ranges from the manufacturers. Consequently, these TVs have better picture quality than the non-1080p TVs.

h3ro

Resolution fanboys?

I love my Panny Plasma, it being 1080p is an added benefit for Blu Ray. I bought it for gaming, but resolution was near the bottom of my requisites for purchase with overall PQ being king.

MrHicks

Banned
jorma said:
Because the topic would be EMPTY if only those who actually bought their 1080p SOLELY for gaming replied.

do you seriously believe there aren't tons of people who buy their tvs for gaming and nothing else?

jonnyp

MrHicks said:
whats the point?

what you say?

I think most people bought it for use with multiple devices like PC, consoles and Blu-ray players.

Best investment in years! :D

jorma

is now taking requests
zoukka said:
Your point being?

I wasn't really "making a point" as such, I only tried to provide you with a reasonably likely answer to your question. I guess we wont know the correct answer for sure until he responds himself. And when he does you will know for sure why he replied! Wee!

twofold

Danielsan said:
I thought it was 40"?

What the chart shows is that, for a 50-inch screen, the benefits of 720p vs. 480p start to become apparent at viewing distances closer than 14.6 feet and become fully apparent at 9.8 feet. For the same screen size, the benefits of 1080p vs. 720p start to become apparent when closer than 9.8 feet and become full apparent at 6.5 feet. In my opinion, 6.5 feet is closer than most people will sit to their 50" plasma TV (even through the THX recommended viewing distance for a 50" screen is 5.6 ft). So, most consumers will not be able to see the full benefit of their 1080p TV.

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Rolf NB

720p image scaled to fit on a 1920x1080 pixel display
>
720p image scaled to fit on a 1366x768 pixel display

Having a PC hooked up in parallel makes it particularly clear that, generally,
moar pixels
>
less pixels

Top Bottom