• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cevat Yerli - Crysis made a profit on a $22 million budget

EctoPrime

If the game has the staying power in the bargain bins like Starcraft and Halflife then it could make quite a bit over the next decade.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It should sell well as a re-release in a couple of years when the hardware required will be more standard.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
pc gaming = ded. long live casual wii gaming!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That seems like... not that much money.
Is that just developing the game, or the engine too?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
TheHeretic said:
22 million does seem low for both the Cryengine and Crysis.
Alright.
The article wasn't too clear.

Jtwo said:

Console games have obscenely inflated budgets.

but, i remember reading that gears cost 10 million to develop.(not including advertising)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think EA has something to do here , been the publisher , good marketing and all that , i hope Crytek stay with EA , and better EA should buy Crytek .

Davidion said:
Hey, I bet Sony would appreciate that dollar profit.

why you directly mentioned Sony here ? is the thread about console market ? no , about Handheld then ? about movies , Electronic , blu-ray , walkman ? no , the thread about a PC game that did fine and you just want to laugh at sony and send this thread to shitland ..why ?

dLMN8R

Jtwo said:
It was developed in Germany for one, so that probably means somewhat cheaper labor. But also, Crysis didn't have the massive, $10+ million ad budgets that games like Halo 3, GTA 4, and many other console games have.

Totobeni said:
I think EA has something to do here , been the publisher , good marketing and all that , i hope Crytek stay with EA , and better EA should buy Crytek .
Recently, it seems like EA has grown past the idea of buying up developers left and right, instead choosing to parnet with them for developer deals. Crytek isn't exactly a small studio anymore either - they have three independant studios spread across three different countries. Acquiring them probably wouldn't be the best move here.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
TheHeretic said:

crysis is one game, cryengine will be used to make many games. if it is 22 million for both that is a lot since they'll get at least 3 or 4 games out of that engine.

why you directly mentioned Sony here ? is the thread about console market ? no , about Handheld then ? about movies , Electronic , blu-ray , walkman ? no , the thread about a PC game that did fine and you just want to laugh at sony and send this thread to shitland ..why ?

No-one except you is complaining dude.

The article is clearly false because we all know next-gen games cost upwards of $70 million to make and need to sell 5 million copies to get a penny back.

Davidion

Totobeni said:

Because the gag is that Sony's losses have outpaced the profits that they've made since the PS2 era?

Nice to see there's a loyalist out there taking this personally. :lol

dLMN8R said:
It was developed in Germany for one, so that probably means somewhat cheaper labor. But also, Crysis didn't have the massive, $10+ million ad budgets that games like Halo 3, GTA 4, and many other console games have.

Than the US?

Davidion

TheHeretic said:

Hmmm, thought I saw that, couldn't remember off of the top of my head.

Anyways, some of you have got to relax. I swear that guy just acted like I insulted his family honor or something.

Oh and...

TheHeretic said:

Did they even successfully license the engine out to anyone?

Davidion said:

Anyways, some of you have got to relax. I swear that guy just acted like I insulted his family honor or something.

It was funny, Sony's broke, life goes on

Davidion said:

I don't think so.

Kapsama said:
How much profit? $1 is still a profit :D
Any profit is more than many games!
Probably one of EA's better performers looking at their FY08 results as well.

Anyway, i9 am glad it did as that means more stuff like Crysis Warhead for us to enjoy.

Doytch

That's good, and I just know this game will have long legs. It will be the game that people pick up when they get a new computer, just to finally play it "as it was meant to be".. *shudder*

Davidion said:

They did license it to some MMO maker and will no doubt get more as they sort out it's cross platform development. There aren't many dev's making games with Crysis level visuals that are doing PC only projects at the moment so until it is fully cross platform i doubt there will be many takes, no matter how easy it is to use.
The engine improvements for Warhead will also help.

Oh, and they have something like 3 separate studios working on different things on the engine so that will reduce the overhead yet further.

dLMN8R

dk_ said:
The fuck? Germany is not Romania or Poland...
Yeah, I guess that post was quite stupid. As a US citizen who traveled to Europe over the summer, I should probably know better thanks to my empty bank account :lol

Davidion said:
Yep. There are a couple obscure games out there, at least one of them being an MMO, but I don't recall the name off-hand.

FreezeSSC

Davidion said:

Well if your going to make jokes atleast be aware that they've stopped posting losses in the gaming department. So it just comes off as if your bitter or something.

dk_

dLMN8R said:
Yeah, I guess that post was quite stupid. As a US citizen who traveled to Europe over the summer, I should probably know better thanks to my empty bank account :lol
:D

Considering how many sales are required nowadays to break even against these very high development costs, I'm surprised by his statements about the CryEngine 3 being even more advanced and, logically, expensive.

I know pushing the tech is sort of their thing, but with Cevats refreshingly frank statements about the success of the game and the effect of piracy (free from the hyperbole that so often plagues discussion of the issue), I'm surprised they didn't do a 180.

Torquill

I'm honestly surprised, (because the higher barrier to entry, not because it's a bad game) but good for them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Without clarifying the budget, that statement means nothing. If that was the budget for the engine and game, then great, but if just the game, and the engine has yet to be licensed out, then they are probbably well into a hole.

Since game development cost is essentially a multiplier of team size and time, why is it written in stone that every HD game has to cost $100 million to produce? If you have a small, efficient team, and you can put out a game every year or two, I can't see why every game should possibly cost that much.

Congrats to Crytek for beating the system.

-SD-

Banned
Jtwo said:
I'd say both: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13314

It's not been a process without knock-on implications though. Working on CryEngine 2 has impacting the development of Crysis. "I would say it's taken us 50 to 100 percent longer to build the game [Crysis] because we were building the engine alongside it. If we had this engine at the start, we could have been out last year for sure," Seeley reveals.

Davidion said:
http://www.cryengine2.com/index.php?pnr=1&conid=11

TheHeretic said:
Developing for PC is cheaper than doing so on consoles, not having to pay MS or Sony for the privilege of developing on their boxes is a big plus. Then taking into account not having to pay them a percentage of each sale, and a smaller retailer percentage, each copy of a game sold makes brings back more cash than a console equivalent.

I;m sure a big chunk went to EA, but i'm glad to see they made something off the game. It certainly deserves it, and more. I hope warhead is another million seller.

Zzoram

MickeyKnox said:
Developing for PC is cheaper than doing so on consoles, not having to pay MS or Sony for the privilege of developing on their boxes is a big plus. Then taking into account not having to pay them a percentage of each sale, and a smaller retailer percentage, each copy of a game sold makes brings back more cash than a console equivalent.

Ya basically. Buying a single console development kit cost something ridiculous like $10,000 and a big developer needs a lot more than one. That plus they pay a pretty hefty royalty to the platform holder, a royalty that has gone up since last generation. On PC they pay royalties to no platform, so their costs are a lot lower.

EA covered their marketing costs and distribution for a cut, but nVidia payed Crytek money to promote their brand.

Top Bottom