• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety article on AVATAR: Over-budget? $250-300m? Another delay incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article over at Variety on big tentpole gambles next year. News on AVATAR as well that makes me grin and cry at the same time. Honestly, would it really have been a Cameron blockbuster if he didn't go over-budget?

THE TENTPOLE

Fox execs are sweating as Cameron again pushes the frontiers of f/x and motion picture technology with the CG/motion-capture/live-action 3-D "Avatar." The filmmaker worked on advance R&D for six years -- incredibly, studio execs say they plowed only $10 million into that, gambling that Cameron's new process would even work.

The director, working with VFX whiz Rob Legato, showed the studio advance pre-viz footage demonstrating how high-def video cameras could track actors moving inside a virtual CG set. Initially budgeted at $200 million, the sci-fi epic was pushed back from May to December 2009 to give the director more time to combine in the computer all necessary elements: 3-D motion-capture data of the actors on bare sets, CG environments, and final animation of the human avatars (Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver) and alien characters (Teresa Saldana, CCH Pounder). The photo-real digital film is 20% live-action with humans shot on location and 80% live-action mixed with CG elements. "It's a CG film with live-action in it," Legato says.

Sources close to the studio admit there was a time when it was terrified that Cameron's process wouldn't work. Execs relaxed a tad when they got to see finished footage. Giving Cameron and Weta Digital in New Zealand (where substantial rebates make everything cheaper) extra post-production time made sense.

The later release date leaves exhibitors time to add more 3-D screens. The movie could go out on a three-tiered basis: high-ticket super-charged Imax 3-D, regular 3-D and old-fashioned 2-D -- unless Cameron gets his way and refuses to show the movie on 2-D. That's a tough one, as there are about 1,000 North American screens and only a few hundred 3-D screens overseas.

More are scheduled to be built in the next year, but several senior execs at rival studios predict that Cameron will persuade Fox to push the movie back, because the prospect of releasing a $300 million movie on 1,500 screens worldwide is too nerve-wracking.

Fox is sharing the negative cost with several hedge funds to protect its downside. With 14 months to go, the final budget is hard to estimate, depending on whether Cameron does a lot of last-minute tweaking, and the film's running time, which should wind up at about 2½ hours.

ESTIMATED COST: $250 million to $300 million. Cameron knows how to play to the mainstream -- fanboys, soccer moms, trailer park dads, city folk and overseas auds. His goal is to change motion pictures as we know it. Fox could score another global commercial blockbuster.

Full article here:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117991656.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

There's also info on Fincher's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button going over budget.

jett

D-Member
Cameron would be retarded to insist a 3D-only release...I'm pretty sure I've read him say that there will be a 2D release for sure, anyway.

jett said:
Cameron would be retarded to insist a 3D-only release...I'm pretty sure I've read him say that there will be a 2D release for sure, anyway.

Well he's expressed his wish to have a 3D only release and it would be if he had his way. But I think he knows there's no way FOX would allow that. Cameron wants to create a situation where the only way to see the newest epic is to get your ass into a 3D cinema.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
This is his real follow-up to Titanic, a film that grossed 1.8 billion worldwide. I would hope that Fox would not put any pressure on him.

JimiNutz

Banned
Another day another AVATAR thread :D
I don't really care how much he does/doesn't spend on it so long as it's fucking awesome.
Now give me a damn trailer sometime this year Jim to send my hype meter through the roof.

jey_16

Banned
i would be amazed if this film did anything close to Titanic numbers considering the genre...hell, if it gets close to TDK, i'll be suprised

AlternativeUlster said:
This is his real follow-up to Titanic, a film that grossed 1.8 billion worldwide. I would hope that Fox would not put any pressure on him.

For someone that has consistenly reinvented the summer blockbuster 3 or 4 times already, I'm sure he'll get his way. After all, he spent over $1M on changing the rotation direction of the rudder on Titanic. December '09 looks iffy in my opinion.

y2dvd

jett said:

I don't think it's retarded. He envision his work to be viewed in 3-D. Anything else is dumbed down.

jett

D-Member
y2dvd said:
I don't think it's retarded. He envision his work to be viewed in 3-D. Anything else is dumbed down.

It is retarded, not only because of box office gross loss, but also because for some people 3D doesn't work, and in fact it's more a visual impairment if anything, REGARDLESS of how it's employed(that's for you Scullibundo).

jett said:
It is retarded, not only because of box office gross loss, but also because for some people 3D doesn't work, and in fact it's more a visual impairment if anything, REGARDLESS of how it's employed(that's for you Scullibundo).

Bollocks! He's attempting to usher in a wave of cinema with a film that is supposed to pioneer 3D as an immersive supplement/enhancement - and you think having the 3D films far outnumbered by the 2D releases is the way to go? I hope Cameron gets what he originally proposed - a release of the 3D (and real version of the film) a few weeks before the 2D release.

Snaku said:
Screw this bloated, preachy, over hyped pos. Give me the real Avatar movie!

You mean the one directed by M. 'This isn't Happening!' Shyamalan? The one about the kid who rides on an over-sized sheepdog and learns elements that help him fight the cardboard character of prince angst-a-lot? THAT Avatar?

No. You couldn't mean that Avatar. Because there is no other Avatar film in the works. Unless you mean that film about the Air-bender? :lol

Greatness Gone said:
I doubt that this movie will be as good as you think it'll be.

And what is this actually supposed to look like? Speed Racer in 3-D?

Do some reading up before you start trashing a movie we haven't even seen one photo of. The general idea is 100% photo realistic characters and environments that are indistinguishable to the human eye.

In other words, definitely NOT like Speed Racer.

Superblatt said:
Do some reading up before you start trashing a movie we haven't even seen one photo of. The general idea is 100% photo realistic characters and environments that are indistinguishable to the human eye.

In other words, definitely NOT like Speed Racer.

I didn't trash it. I just don't have as incredibly high expectations as Scullibundo does. Is comparing this movie to Speed Racer considered an insult or something?

Ceres

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Bollocks! He's attempting to usher in a wave of cinema with a film that is supposed to pioneer 3D as an immersive supplement/enhancement - and you think having the 3D films far outnumbered by the 2D releases is the way to go? I hope Cameron gets what he originally proposed - a release of the 3D (and real version of the film) a few weeks before the 2D release.

For the extra price they charge for 3D movies now I just can't see myself caring enough to see the movie in theaters. Beowulf was kind of interesting but not in a "Woah! I can't wait to see what they do in 3D next!" and that was before the spike in price when I was able to use my $7 coupon. There's no way I'll spend $30+ for two people to see this movie.

Ceres said:
For the extra price they charge for 3D movies now I just can't see myself caring enough to see the movie in theaters. Beowulf was kind of interesting but not in a "Woah! I can't wait to see what they do in 3D next!" and that was before the spike in price when I was able to use my $7 coupon. There's no way I'll spend $30+ for two people to see this movie.

Comparing this movie and Beowulf in terms of 3D is like comparing Conan and The Scorpion King in terms of awesome.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Releasing only in 3D-capable theaters would be alienating half your potential viewership and practically guaranteeing this will be a financial disaster.

The way some people deify Cameron is more than a little amusing...

Ceres

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Comparing this movie and Beowulf in terms of 3D is like comparing Conan and The Scorpion King in terms of awesome.

In terms of how cheesy both films are?
This may be a step up in technology but I simply don't care enough about the technology to pay the increasing prices. And some people outright hate the new technology.

Ceres said:
In terms of how cheesy both films are?
This may be a step up in technology but I simply don't care enough about the technology to pay the increasing prices. And some people outright hate the new technology.

Some people haven't seen the new technology used properly. It's as if people who saw Crosland's 'The Jazz Singer' judged the merit of sound tech's role in films based on the 2 minute scene that actually featured sound.

Well, the project is very intriguing at least. It takes some balls to create a 300-million 'gambling-ticket', since there are no quarantees that the 'revolution' will work as well as it was meant to.

I, at least, will be following this project with great interest.

Nakazato

Cameron is notorious for being over budget look at Titanic it was like 250 mil over. But it did amazing in theaters (which made him lose his pay. But the studio gave 160mil as a reward) But I do thing most people will be turned off by Avatar do to it not having a significant link to the past. Im not saying it will flop im saying it will not rake in half the money that Titanic did.

Flakster99

Shocked? Not at all, and I am sure the powers that be aren't either. Shocked that AVATAR may be shown only at 3D-capable theaters, also factoring in the already huge, ever-increasing budget? Not at all.

If there is _a_single_ director that can make it work, build up enough sustainable hype that everyone involved in the project wins, it is Cameron.

This is my #1 movie to look forward to - make it yours Cameron, all of it. God - I sound like some Kojima fanboy, hahaha!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Scullibundo said:

Scullibundo said:
Some people haven't seen the new technology used properly. It's as if people who saw Crosland's 'The Jazz Singer' judged the merit of sound tech's role in films based on the 2 minute scene that actually featured sound.

Wait, so you've seen this movie already?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Regulus Tera said:

No need to quote the 2nd dude, dude. He is saying "Don't judge it until you see it" and which he hasn't yet either.

I have faith in Cameron. This film will probably get delayed to May 2010 my guess so that more theaters will have 3D tech. Do you remember how many theaters started to go digital when Phantom Menace came out?

Scullibundo said:
You mean the one directed by M. 'This isn't Happening!' Shyamalan? The one about the kid who rides on an over-sized sheepdog and learns elements that help him fight the cardboard character of prince angst-a-lot? THAT Avatar?

No. You couldn't mean that Avatar. Because there is no other Avatar film in the works. Unless you mean that film about the Air-bender? :lol

Dude, I know Avatar will be awesome, but Avatar: The Last Airbender has consistently been one of the best shows on television since it debuted. No need to trash it just to defend Cameron's Avatar.

Bit-Bit

Scullibundo said:

Whoa man. Why are you trashing this show? It's a really good show that many people seem to enjoy. After all, the shows finale set a record for most viewed cartoon ever.

It's clearly a quality show and you don't need to make fun of it just to show that the Cameron movie will be superior.

NotWii

Banned
Just saw THE ABYSS properly for the first time.
GIVE ME AVATAR NOW!!

Jax said:
sam worthington is boring as fuck. good luck this being any good.
He was great in Rogue, I can see why Cameron chose him.

master15

The thing that kind of worries me is Cameron basically hasn't really had a flop in his career. The man is box-office gold especially the last couple of films he did, so while I'm glad he's pushing the envelope, I hope audiences respond too.

Also interesting reading about Benjamin Button, I really hope the film does well, god knows Fincher deserves better after everyone ignored Zodiac last year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I saw one of the 3d films cameron made for imax.
It looked totally fucking badass.

Regulus Tera said:

My info on the jump between tech is based on the MANY reports of others who have gotten a glimpse at it. Even Katzenberg - Cameron's competition stated as much.

Decado said:
Argh. This is a Fox picture? Fox sucks :(

FOX does indeed suck. But Aliens is a FOX picture and he managed to keep fox holding their balls throughout the constantly delayed production of Titanic, so have faith in Cameron.

Dude, I know Avatar will be awesome, but Avatar: The Last Airbender has consistently been one of the best shows on television since it debuted. No need to trash it just to defend Cameron's Avatar.

Hey, if somebody trashes Cameron's film in the name of what I think is an over-hyped cartoon, you can bet I'm going to rip that cartoon to pieces. That said, the animation in the cartoon is nice.

Jax said:
sam worthington is boring as fuck. good luck this being any good.

This is a man who got a great performance out of Tom Arnold. If Cameron sees something in Worthington, you can trust he'll exploit that something good.

Nakazato said:
Cameron is notorious for being over budget look at Titanic it was like 250 mil over. But it did amazing in theaters (which made him lose his pay. But the studio gave 160mil as a reward) But I do thing most people will be turned off by Avatar do to it not having a significant link to the past. Im not saying it will flop im saying it will not rake in half the money that Titanic did.

:lol I don't know where you get your information but it's wrong. Titanic's budget 250mil over? The entire budget all up wasn't even that much. It was originally supposed to be 120mil but went over to 200mil. He offered to forfeit his directors salary (backend points), but the execs he spoke to didn't think they would be making any money back off of Titanic so they sort've just waved it off. So no, they didn't give him a 160mil reward :lol :lol :lol. This is FOX! They never got him to sign a contract forfeiting his backend salary of the profits, so that's where all his money came from.

I hope this is only a 3D release... it will get the point across that it was designed to be 3D rather then something that was just slapped on like other "3D films."

gutshot

AlternativeUlster said:

What about Aquaman?

oneHeero said:
Is there any info on what this is suppose to be about? Never heard about this movie.

If you looked it up you would find out in two seconds. A paraplegic war vet is inducted into the avatar program. He is taken away from Earth (which is now an over-populated cesspool) and toward the planet Pandora (near Alpha-Centurai) where humanity is mining the planet of it's resources and killing the indigenous alien inhabitants. The avatar program is like a mind-meld thing where he takes control of one of the aliens known as an AVATAR (8 ft tall, purple bio-luminescent creatures with tails) in order to go around the planet's surface.

That's all I will say lest I spoil it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gutshot said:
What about Aquaman?
The first one was really great, but after the role went to Jake Gyllenhal the series turned into complete shit, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom