• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A picture leaks from the mo-cap set of AVATAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as two shitty quality captures from the on-set monitors which should be rendering the environment and characters (in lower quality of course) in realtime.
From Marketsaw: http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/09/updated-avatar-set-photo-in-exclusive.html

ojpmb8.jpg

1. Through the far curtained wall you can make out what seems to be an alien "tree", but it only slightly resembles what our sources had discovered outside of the LA callback location set back in April. Note that it is all stark white (Not Tony Stark Hot Rod Red!) - a placeholder for CGI for the director/actors to reference?

2. Some MDF rocks and boulders along the left side. Their massive sets used a great deal of MDF in Wellington, New Zealand.

3. The motion capture suits that MarketSaw exclusively uncovered for you here and here again back in April are pictured at work here. NOTE the location of what seems to be tails in red (on one of the horses as well as the mo-cap actor on that same horse - on his back?? This actor seems to be wearing a different suit - a different species?) and the Na'vi hair in red and blue on all the other mo-cap actors. What a cool luminescence on those mo-cap suit reference points! They are not powered either - they were glowing like that while hanging in wardrobe.

4. I can make out what SEEMS to be some sort of flying creature prop (Banshee?) in the back beside A-5 (follow the gridlines on the floor) as well as another mountable creature (A-1) to the right of it.

5. You can just about make out the image on the large monitor on the right wall - I have blown it up below (two shots - one in normal color and one in serpia) as well with comments.

6. What on earth... errr, on Pandora is that dude holding at J-4? A prop for a creature, plantlife or what?

7. Of course tons of cameras and equipment. Can you make out very small cameras along the top right framework?

2yy3uyp.jpg

What is on the monitor? Looks like a creature in the top right corner walking from left to right - is that "hair" flowing behind the head? Whatever it is - it certainly seems alien. You can see what seems to be plantlife to the left of the image. And perhaps Pandora's landscape in the background - looks to be high mountains with sheer cliffs with very flat tops like buttes?

If any of you can manage a better enhancement from the hi rez shot let me know!

Man oh man - this movie has got me so damn pumped up and it is still 15 months away!

Comparing what we already know to be an accurate silhouette of a Na'vi from Pandora, do you think that one of these creatures is being portrayed in the performance capture set photo? My belief is yes. That silhouette by the way has been verified by another source of mine that I trust immensely. It is the real deal.

I see motion capture points on that horse. I wonder what creature that will be.

AmMortal

Banned
This thread has potential.

Seriously though Cameron better show the public something, I have a feeling this movie will flop

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'll keep a look out for more updates. It'll turn out great like the Dragon Ball movie thread.

TheHeretic said:
Why is there a horse in the middle?

It's got mo-cap dots on it as well as the person riding it. I image either a person or alien form will be riding another alien creature and they're using the horse's 4-legged movement as a base for the movement.

My guess is it's part of the marine chatter of the squads that will be in AVATAR. Much like the painted slogans they put on the marines and ships in Aliens.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looks like shit. What are you doing Cameron!?

Kidding.

I hate the sterile look of a motion-capture set.

Busty

Banned
The problem for me is I'm interested in this film. Not excited by it.

I'm certainly looking forward to the first footage/trailer. But I'm just not feeling it at this moment in time.

But, as always, we shall see.

AVclub

LOL! "The horse isn't performing well enough for the motion capture. Have the trainers tell it to exaggerate it's majestic stride, damn it! We need more emotion."

woxel1

Oldschoolgamer said:
LOL.

All that equipment. I'd love to be working on that set.
For a motion capture set... it's par for the course. That said, I did motion capture at Henson all last summer and it was a pretty fascinating experience.

Solo

I admire your dedication to all things Cameron/AVATAR, Sculli, but for Christsakes, can you reduce everything to just one thread, pretty please? We dont need a new thread for "James Cameron farts, likes his own brand".

G-Fex

Solo said:
I admire your dedication to all things Cameron/AVATAR, Sculli, but for Christsakes, can you reduce everything to just one thread, pretty please? We dont need a new thread for "James Cameron farts, likes his own brand".

this.

Fletcher

Baiano19 said:
Can someone tell me why everyone is intrested in this movie again ?
Is it just because of Cameron?

T1
T2
Aliens
True Lies
The Abyss

I would say those are pretty good reasons to be interested.

FoneBone

Solo said:
THANK YOU. look, I have no problem with Avatar news getting its own thread if there's actually something substantial there (say, an official plot synopsis, or art, or photos, or a trailer), but until then...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I look at that picture and see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of note. That website looks at the same pictures and writes a 15 paragraph essay. I said wow.

Burger

Everyone and Anyone who worked on any part of this film has had to sign a NDA.

That's all I can say.

Ceres

Banned
Burger said:
Everyone and Anyone who worked on any part of this film has had to sign a NDA.

That's all I can say.

Never has stopped leaks before. You think other films just give their crews leave to spoil everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom