• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

I'm so sorry, GAF. I should have paid attention earlier. While I had long known of the existence of this show, I made the mistake of assuming that it was just some forgettable US made Naruto knockoff. Thankfully, a few weeks ago my TiVo started recording some episodes as suggestions.

Wow. I couldn't have possibly been more wrong about this series. It's absolutely brilliant and I'm now totally hooked. Where do I begin?

This series has:

* Sharp, fluid animation that is never stock or lifeless.
* A large cast of endearing characters who actually change and grow.
* Strong storytelling that is rarely episodic with surprising twists.
* A rich and creatively original mythology with continuity.
* Incredibly detailed fight choreography based actual martial arts.
* Genuinely funny comedy with witty dialog.

Another thing that has surprised me is that while the show always stays within its TV-Y7 rating, it still somehow comes across more mature than you'd expect. Characters die, fall in love, change allegiances and even go insane. There are no two-dimensional characters here. No-one is ever really bad or good.

I made this thread because having now seen much of the show, I feel compelled to spread the word in case there are other GAFers like me who skipped it. Do yourself a favor and seek this out.

For more, Wikipedia has a great article about the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender

BlacKMaRK

Banned
i love avatar, what a great ride.

As much as nickelodeon hated it, avatar actually captured the teenage-adult demographic pretty well. Wait till you get to the finale, the animation is amazing,

Book 2 is my fav.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
WrikaWrek said:
Word?

I thought this was just some lame kids shit? I guess i'm gonna check it out.

Yeah same here, I guess since james cameron is making a movie about it it must be good.

gdt

ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah same here, I guess since james cameron is making a movie about it it must be good.

:lol :lol :lol

(If that was intentional, same if not.)

BTMash

ChrisGoldstein said:
Unfortunately, wrong Avatar (M. Night Shyamalan is making the movie based on the Avatar Animated series. James Cameron's work is supposed to be a Sci-Fi movie)

explodet

This is a great series, but every now and again you have to remind yourself that it really is for kids. Other than that it's a very watchable series and was a lot of fun.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
BTMash said:
Unfortunately, wrong Avatar (M. Night Shyamalan is making the movie based on the Avatar Animated series. James Cameron's work is supposed to be a Sci-Fi movie)

:lol

Thanks yall

Zapages

I have to say it is the best American based original cartoon in the mid 00s, which is not based on comic books.

This show is so awesome, it's just pure amazingness from start to finish (with the unfortunate problem of some bad writing in Season 3, a season that is rather awesome plot-wise but just not as good as Season 2 due to some rather poor dialogue sequences in the first half of the season).

The finale might be the most satisfying bit of television I've ever seen.

Fucking excellent show.

Easily one of the best shows ever - American or otherwise. Definately up there with Arrested Development and The Shield.

Snaku

Banned
My favorite animated series ever. I've watched all three seasons on DVD at least four times each.

Which reminds me, I should probably watch them again.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
3580.jpg

I was going to start another thread tomorrow since the complete Book 3 season was coming out, but I'll just voice my thoughts on the show why this show is so damn good for newcomers to the series or people who dismiss it because it’s a cartoon on Nick.

The Characters:

To me (and to most people I imagine), the most appealing thing of any show are the characters. These are not one dimensional stereotypes by any means. The protagonist shoulders the burden of his murdered race and unfulfilled responsibilities to the world with a happy go-lucky attitude and very little emotional baggage. The heroine is the emotional anchor to the protagonist (even acting as the narrator) and in the process of the journey, becomes the protectoress of the hero. The antihero acts as a foil to the protagonist, struggling and suffering towards a path of redemption that takes many surprising twists.

What I love most is that they are all flawed characters, drawing their strengths and weaknesses from the same source, and is often reflective of their element.

Aang is a free spirit who has embraced all of the teachings of his people, but his non-confrontational nature causes him to run away from his problems.

Katara’s protectiveness and idealism are a perfect complement to Aang and their relationship (not just romantic) is one of the foundations of the show. Because of her idealism, her trust is betrayed on several occasions and she is slow to forgive. Her flaws are her strengths, which makes her an excellent character. Her character is dynamic in the way that she can go from bitchy to motherly, but it never seems inappropriate.

Zuko is arguably the most flawed character in the show, which makes the process of his redemption so fascinating to watch. His strength is his drive and his ability to fight, even when things are hard. That is also his downfall as his stubbornness and inability to think things through lead him into bad situation after bad situation.

I don’t have time to get into the other major characters. Suffice it to say, they all have their unique qualities and everyone plays an integral role to the saga in the Avatar world.

As an aside, I quite dig the fact most of the most capable fighters and strategists are female. I'm a bit of a sucker for strong female characters, good or bad. Honestly, is there a more badass female villain than Azula? A more badass heroine than Toph? I can’t think of any.

A Continual Storyline and Themes:

Because of the overarching framework that was conceived before the first episode was written, the show becomes more and more rewarding to watch as the groundwork is laid episode upon episode. In my opinion, there are very few actual filler episodes due to there being so much ground to cover in each 22 minute episode. Most either advance the plot, reveal more of the personalities or the interactions between characters, or introduce elements that become important in later episodes. Each of the three season finales is also the very definition of epic, with deaths, sacrifices and world changing events happening in every one.

Avatar is not a subtle show. It beats you over the head with themes of honour, love, and redemption. Perhaps it’s because it’s a kid show that they make these things as obvious as possible. But it never talks down to the audience, the jokes are genuinely funny, and the show takes risks with melodrama rather than selling the heart short. The result is moments of unexpected poignancy and pathos. Not bad for a coming of age story.

The Music:

I believe that this show has the best music of any television series. Period. I’ll argue this with anybody until the end of time. The Track Team has done an unbelievable job of churning out amazing pieces of music that not only supplement the action on screen, but in many instances drive them. The Avatar State theme punched me in the gut during the ending scene to The Desert. The Last Agni Kai music during the finale made the duel so much more epic and tragic. Take a listen to the Season Three Trailer music. A freaking cartoon clip should not evoke that much emotion. The music is goddamn incredible.

The Animation/Artwork:

This is down there for reasons that I watch the show, but it’s probably more important to many people than myself. The artwork is gorgeous. Backgrounds from the Earth Kingdom to the Air Temples take influences from various Asian designs but with unique stylistic flair.

The fight choreography is stunning in many cases, improving season upon season. Everyone of course knows about the different bending disciplines utilize different real life martial arts, (Fire = Northern Shaolin, Water = Tai Chi, Earth = Hung Guar, Air = Ba Gua) but that doesn’t make it any less awesome. The last few episodes in Book 2 provide a non-stop example of how inventive and awesome bending can be. Whether it’s one on one or the Gaang versus the world, there are some eye-popping scenes that will make anyone go WOW.

Avatar is one of my top 5 TV shows of all time. The fact that the show is aimed primarily at kids makes no difference. The whole premise of saving the world may be cliché, but Avatar's execution, in my opinion, is better than other comparable fantasy works such as Harry Potter or Star Wars (I’m going to get flak from the SW Defense Force, but I don’t care). It’s rare that a television series has the ability to live up to the actual vision of the creators and combines drama, comedy, and romance in such a successful way. It’s even rarer that it is able to end when it should end, given the climate in television production nowadays. Too many good shows get cancelled before reaching their full potential (Firefly), go on for too long and run out of material (Simpsons), or completely jump the shark due to a lack of foresight in resolving convoluted storylines (X-Files).

In short, I have to give kudos to Mike and Bryan on building a world that has its own internal believable mythology, on crafting and planning out a storyline from beginning to end, on developing flawed characters based around universal values, and on having the balls to end the series at the height of popularity. Flameo, guys, flameo.

Greatness Gone said:
First season was shit, second season was television GOLD on par with all the good 90s cartoons, third season was average.

The first season started out rough with a few crappy episodes, but it turned out great.

Season 2 > Season 1 > Season 3.

I watched the entire first season and apart from the nice animation can't really see the redeeming qualities most others do. The characters are incredibly one dimensional - ESPECIALLY the prince trying to foil them. There weren't really any interesting episodes except when they visited the wind palace or whatever it was. It just felt like the show was going through the motions of killing time till he could master a second element at the end of the season. Couldn't get me to try the second season, even though I've heard its better.

Scullibundo said:
I watched the entire first season and apart from the nice animation can't really see the redeeming qualities most others do. The characters are incredibly one dimensional - ESPECIALLY the prince trying to foil them. There weren't really any interesting episodes except when they visited the wind palace or whatever it was. It just felt like the show was going through the motions of killing time till he could master a second element at the end of the season. Couldn't get me to try the second season, even though I've heard its better.

Honestly, man, Prince Zuko is one of the most emotionally engaging characters I've ever seen on a show; he's just fascinating. To say that he's one dimensional seems to argue against the very concept of his character; his whole point is that he has the words of his father/sister regarding honor and nobility constantly playing through his head like a tape recorder, but at the same time, his uncle is there to be a truly loving father figure that just wants him to find his own way and to tread the path of good. Zuko has so many internal conflicts that I can't see how ANYBODY sees him as a one-dimensional character.

Then again, his real character arc doesn't come into its own until the second season, so perhaps it's just a case of you not having yet seen/been exposed to just how deep and nuanced these characters really are.

By the way, does anybody have the GIF of the Fire Nation kid rave dancing from the third season?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Avatar's three books have the same quality progression as the Star Wars trilogy. In short, Book 2 is awesome, the other two not as much.

Pein

Banned
Hitokage said:
Avatar's three books have the same quality progression as the Star Wars trilogy. In short, Book 2 is awesome, the other two not as much.
I personally thought book 3 was the best

Pein said:
I personally thought book 3 was the best

I agree. The art was far more bland in the second season. The first season is way below those two. I would be inclined to say Season 2 is better than Season 3, but the last 4 episodes destroy everything else I've seen in any cartoon ever. My favorite part of the series was the final agni kai. WOW.

Well, as a whole, 2 is better. However, with the Star Wars analogy, Wasn't the scene with darth vader, the Emperor, and Luke pretty awesome? That's how I stand with that.

I did think they dropped the ball a bit with Iroh. Azula was super hot the third season, but they took her a bit too far. Zuko's dialogue was awful, too.

woxel1

vas_a_morir said:
I agree. The art was far more bland in the second season. The first season is way below those two. I would be inclined to say Season 2 is better than Season 3, but the last 4 episodes destroy everything else I've seen in any cartoon ever. My favorite part of the series was the final agni kai. WOW.
Yeah, holy shit at that scene especially on the musical side of things.

Also, who else here knew that Suzy from Johnny Bravo
suzy3.jpg

is also
Katara.png

Hitokage said:

I disagree, in the sense that I don't think there is such a disparity as you claim. Sure, Season 2 is OBVIOUSLY the absolute best of the series, but I think Season 3 is quite close to it (and would probably be better were it not for a few poorly written episodes), with Season 1 not following far behind that.

The whole series is awesome, though. Toph especially is just a fucking awesome character; the whole concept of her character is just such an awesome idea and is so well realized that she absolutely increases the series' quality just on the basis of her existence.

Hitokage said:
Pretty accurate. Of course nobody actually likes ESB more than Jedi, that's just what they tell people to hide the shame of being in to kids stuff.

Mr Jared

Avatar is easily one of the best cartoons of all time. Easily.

It also features one of the most spectacular nose dives I've ever seen from a series, be it comic book, television, movie, whatever. Book 1 makes for a fantastic setup and practically every episode of Book 2 is masterful.

But holy shit. Book 3 is a beautiful example of what happens when you listen to your idiot fans. The entire damn thing is nothing but fan service for the gaggle of 13 year old girls who just want to see x character make out with y. Practically everything they built with the first two seasons goes completely out the window ... what they did to Toph is absolutely pathetic.

What did they do? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They take practically an entire season to build her up, only to shove her to the background where she's lucky to even have a line every 3 episodes. Meanwhile, we get shit episodes written by fanfic writers where characters break character to cry about their feelings. I wish I was even joking.

That and Katara turns into a huge Mary Sue, well beyond the logic of the world they built.

Haha.. okay, I ranted. If anyone is going to watch Avatar, just pretend it ends with season 2, because the third season is simply the worst.

Banned
Mr Jared said:

It also features one of the most spectacular nose dives I've ever seen from a series, be it comic book, television, movie, whatever. Book 1 makes for a fantastic setup and practically every episode of Book 2 is masterful.

But holy shit. Book 3 is a beautiful example of what happens when you listen to your idiot fans. The entire damn thing is nothing but fan service for the gaggle of 13 year old girls who just want to see x character make out with y. Practically everything they built with the first two seasons goes completely out the window ... what they did to Toph is absolutely pathetic.

What did they do? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They take practically an entire season to build her up, only to shove her to the background where she's lucky to even have a line every 3 episodes. Meanwhile, we get shit episodes written by fanfic writers where characters break character to cry about their feelings. I wish I was even joking.

That and Katara turns into a huge Mary Sue, well beyond the logic of the world they built.

Haha.. okay, I ranted. If anyone is going to watch Avatar, just pretend it ends with season 2, because the third season is simply the worst.
What the hell did people want from Toph exactly? She got what she wanted and had a complete story arc in the 2nd season. The role she played in the third was fine.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Loved this series from beginning to end. I still think that the second season had such an amazing ending to it.

BorkBork said:
3580.jpg

I was going to start another thread tomorrow since the complete Book 3 season was coming out, but I'll just voice my thoughts on the show why this show is so damn good for newcomers to the series or people who dismiss it because it’s a cartoon on Nick.

The Characters:

To me (and to most people I imagine), the most appealing thing of any show are the characters. These are not one dimensional stereotypes by any means. The protagonist shoulders the burden of his murdered race and unfulfilled responsibilities to the world with a happy go-lucky attitude and very little emotional baggage. The heroine is the emotional anchor to the protagonist (even acting as the narrator) and in the process of the journey, becomes the protectoress of the hero. The antihero acts as a foil to the protagonist, struggling and suffering towards a path of redemption that takes many surprising twists.

What I love most is that they are all flawed characters, drawing their strengths and weaknesses from the same source, and is often reflective of their element.

Aang is a free spirit who has embraced all of the teachings of his people, but his non-confrontational nature causes him to run away from his problems.

Katara’s protectiveness and idealism are a perfect complement to Aang and their relationship (not just romantic) is one of the foundations of the show. Because of her idealism, her trust is betrayed on several occasions and she is slow to forgive. Her flaws are her strengths, which makes her an excellent character. Her character is dynamic in the way that she can go from bitchy to motherly, but it never seems inappropriate.

Zuko is arguably the most flawed character in the show, which makes the process of his redemption so fascinating to watch. His strength is his drive and his ability to fight, even when things are hard. That is also his downfall as his stubbornness and inability to think things through lead him into bad situation after bad situation.

I don’t have time to get into the other major characters. Suffice it to say, they all have their unique qualities and everyone plays an integral role to the saga in the Avatar world.

As an aside, I quite dig the fact most of the most capable fighters and strategists are female. I'm a bit of a sucker for strong female characters, good or bad. Honestly, is there a more badass female villain than Azula? A more badass heroine than Toph? I can’t think of any.

A Continual Storyline and Themes:

Because of the overarching framework that was conceived before the first episode was written, the show becomes more and more rewarding to watch as the groundwork is laid episode upon episode. In my opinion, there are very few actual filler episodes due to there being so much ground to cover in each 22 minute episode. Most either advance the plot, reveal more of the personalities or the interactions between characters, or introduce elements that become important in later episodes. Each of the three season finales is also the very definition of epic, with deaths, sacrifices and world changing events happening in every one.

Avatar is not a subtle show. It beats you over the head with themes of honour, love, and redemption. Perhaps it’s because it’s a kid show that they make these things as obvious as possible. But it never talks down to the audience, the jokes are genuinely funny, and the show takes risks with melodrama rather than selling the heart short. The result is moments of unexpected poignancy and pathos. Not bad for a coming of age story.

The Music:

I believe that this show has the best music of any television series. Period. I’ll argue this with anybody until the end of time. The Track Team has done an unbelievable job of churning out amazing pieces of music that not only supplement the action on screen, but in many instances drive them. The Avatar State theme punched me in the gut during the ending scene to The Desert. The Last Agni Kai music during the finale made the duel so much more epic and tragic. Take a listen to the Season Three Trailer music. A freaking cartoon clip should not evoke that much emotion. The music is goddamn incredible.

The Animation/Artwork:

This is down there for reasons that I watch the show, but it’s probably more important to many people than myself. The artwork is gorgeous. Backgrounds from the Earth Kingdom to the Air Temples take influences from various Asian designs but with unique stylistic flair.

The fight choreography is stunning in many cases, improving season upon season. Everyone of course knows about the different bending disciplines utilize different real life martial arts, (Fire = Northern Shaolin, Water = Tai Chi, Earth = Hung Guar, Air = Ba Gua) but that doesn’t make it any less awesome. The last few episodes in Book 2 provide a non-stop example of how inventive and awesome bending can be. Whether it’s one on one or the Gaang versus the world, there are some eye-popping scenes that will make anyone go WOW.

Avatar is one of my top 5 TV shows of all time. The fact that the show is aimed primarily at kids makes no difference. The whole premise of saving the world may be cliché, but Avatar's execution, in my opinion, is better than other comparable fantasy works such as Harry Potter or Star Wars (I’m going to get flak from the SW Defense Force, but I don’t care). It’s rare that a television series has the ability to live up to the actual vision of the creators and combines drama, comedy, and romance in such a successful way. It’s even rarer that it is able to end when it should end, given the climate in television production nowadays. Too many good shows get cancelled before reaching their full potential (Firefly), go on for too long and run out of material (Simpsons), or completely jump the shark due to a lack of foresight in resolving convoluted storylines (X-Files).

In short, I have to give kudos to Mike and Bryan on building a world that has its own internal believable mythology, on crafting and planning out a storyline from beginning to end, on developing flawed characters based around universal values, and on having the balls to end the series at the height of popularity. Flameo, guys, flameo.

AMEN

Zapages

Mr Jared said:

The beginning of Season 3 was bad... But it got excellent in the 2nd half of things. Then the finale was the most awesome thing on tv ever.

Ogni-XR21

I always wanted to watch that show, but it's just impossible for me to catch it on Nickelodeon here in Germany. I don't watch too much TV and this show seems to air on a very odd schedule. I've heard/read nothing but praise for the show, so I will probably get it on DVD once all 3 seasons or a complete box is avaialble here. This way I can also watch the English version, even though the German dub seems quite good.

ampere

Son of Godzilla said:
She's also had a few more forgettable roles.

r07b60.jpg
:lol What was her name again? :lol Hahaha

On topic, what I've seen of the Avatar, it has always looked incredibly cheesy. I don't really enjoy cartoons that take themselves too seriously anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom