• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

Smokey

Whats good fellas?!

It's that time again, as the release of 2K9 is right around the corner (next Tuesday) which means it's time for another GAF season!

200533b.jpg
200533b.jpg
200533b.jpg

I originally said I'd like to keep the league to 8-12 players, but since this is a new season and a fresh game I'll take a chance and open it up.

If you are new to our leagues then you will have to wait until the vets pick their team before you pick yours. It's not too bad...I had quite a bit of success with it :).

I'll start listing the people from last season (assuming these guys want to play again in 2K9) and go from there:

1. Smokey - Rockets -dboythagr8
  2. Shawn - Lakers - AKA
  3. CB3 - Bucks - Coldblooded33
  4. AirBrian - Bulls - AirBrian
  5. pheeniks - Suns - pheeniks
  6. Truelize - Cavs - Truelize
  7. DCX - Knicks - dcx gaf
  8. MrBob - Hornets - MrBob
  9. Cerrius - Heat - Cerrius
  10. daw840 Nuggets - darkQberto
  11. Dmczaf Magic - dmczaf
  12. anachronous_one Pistons -anachronous one
  13. FMT Mavs - frenchmov
  14. Cloudy - Nets - cloud2k
  15. kirbybreezy Blazers - fivering
  16. DiddyBop Clippers - ussjme
  17. BigAT Raptors - bigat4
  18. viakado Hawks - viakado
  19. Hunter D Spurs - charsace
  20. ecnal Jazz - slashdc5
  21. Sixers - Zep
  22. Boobcats - Denog

Admin

Smokey (dboythagr8)

Co-Admins

Truelize (Truelize)
CB3 (Coldblooded33)

IMPORTANT LINKS

http://community.2ksports.com/community/league/index.cfm?l=11080
http://community.2ksports.com/community/index.cfm
GT = NBA2k9 GAF Leag

SETTINGS

Hall of Fame difficulty
8 Min quarters
30 game season
16 team playoff
Best of 7 playoffs
7-10 day interval to play your game

RULES

This isn't NBA JAM 09...this is a SIM league. You don't have to run plays if you don't want to but this isn't the place for cheese. You can get that in plenty doses by playing randoms online.

With that..there are some guidelines.

-50 points in paint is MAX for a game. Points in Paint - 2nd chance points = total points in paint. This is plenty. Now that 2K9 actually has a mid-range game this really shouldn't be too much of an issue. If game goes into OT an extra 10 PIP will be allowed.

-Be realistic w/ your subs. No putting a PG at the 3 spot or a C at the 3 spot. Common sense stuff. Now there are multiple guys in the NBA who are versatile (Lebron etc) but again...use common sense.

-Home team can shake the camera while at the FT line. One of the strengths of playing at home.

-No trapping outside of paint.

MISCELLANEOUS

-Trades are enabled until the 15th game. You are the GM of your team you do what you think you gotta do to win the GAF championship. Magical things can happen if you can pull of the right trades.

-Although this is not a requirement..try and play manual defense. It's much more fun when you and your opponent are actually guarding each other rather than letting the CPU do it...

-Blowouts can and probably will happen...HOWEVER it is not necessary to keep your starters in when you have a 20+ lead.

I encourage everybody to visit our league page often. You will have to link your 360 GT by signing up with 2K. They really have done a nice job with it this year. You can view EVERYTHING. Tendencies of your opponent are available at your fingertips. Wondering if you're gonna get the wrong end of a trade...Use the new trade analyzer which will show you a variety of bar graphs illustrating which team has the advantage in the trade.

http://community.2ksports.com/community/league/index.cfm?l=11080

Other features on our website:

-Edit your teams lineup
-Check out league videos that have been uploaded
-Check team stats, player stats, league leaders, standings, records etc.
-Propose trades and accept or deny them
-check your team schedule
-Click teams at the top and when you choose a team look at their starting lineup, division standing, where they rank in the league, stats, team leaders, latest trades, team videos they've uploaded, where they like to shoot from on the court..

It really is an extension of the league and you can access it anywhere you have a computer.

As mentioned earlier I will always make a post letting everybody know when the deadline is to get your game played. If I don't one of the co-admins will so it shouldn't be an issue.

PLAY YOUR GAMES!

This is as close as you can get to playing franchise mode with other people. Playing in the GAF NBA2K leagues has been some of the most fun I've had online. The drive to get to the playoffs is exciting and competitive and once you get in the playoffs it's even better!

We all realize 2K has screwed up the online portion of 2k9 so we'll try and deal with it as best as we can while they are working on the patch. So if there's any problems with the games not connecting just let me or one of the co-admins know. Not like we can do too much...just let somebody know.

That's all I got.

Deadline for GAME 1 is NOV 4 (tuesday)

DCX

DCX
I'll be done to run on the 360. Even though the PS3 league would be more stable, i'm familar with the 360 controller for the 2k series.

Knicks

DCX

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
See ya around guys,it's been fun.

Rockets - PS3

In of course, CB and I will play for the Lakers...

I'd opt for the PS3 version but impressions over at Operation Sports indicate the PS3 version doesn't look as good.

As a result, 360 league it is...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"I'd opt for the PS3 version but impressions over at Operation Sports indicate the PS3 version doesn't look as good"

I recall reading that about 2k8 on their forums and I had both versions and I noticed hardly any difference.It really all depends on your hdtv and if you prefer a brighter look,which the 360 version has.

I'm sure it's the same way with 2k9.

I would have never been able to compare the 2k8 versions if it wasn't for the wonderful red rings of death that booted me out of the last season :(

mr stroke

any chance of there being a 5x5 league? I would asume it would be pretty hard considering the number of players needed....

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
we would have like 2.5 teams :lol

Besides that, getting 10 people to all play at the same time is close to impossible

Matrix said:
"I'd opt for the PS3 version but impressions over at Operation Sports indicate the PS3 version doesn't look as good"

I recall reading that about 2k8 on their forums and I had both versions and I noticed hardly any difference.It really all depends on your hdtv and if you prefer a brighter look,which the 360 version has.

I'm sure it's the same way with 2k9.

I would have never been able to compare the 2k8 versions if it wasn't for the wonderful red rings of death that booted me out of the last season :(

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/nba-2k/271078-ask-me-anything-about-nba-2k9.html

I read through that entire thread, and the guy that had it (Pared) referenced several times how the PS3 version doesn't look as good. This wasn't an issue of how the game renders either from his impressions.

Hopefully he is wrong, but I'm opting for the 360 version tomorrow to be safe. I'll post impressions when I have it.

mr stroke

CB3 said:
we would have like 2.5 teams :lol

Besides that, getting 10 people to all play at the same time is close to impossible

true, I couldn't imagine trying to get 10 people at the same time. Would be really cool to try a mini tournament with maybe 3-4 teams if possible. 5x5 sounds amazing if it works.

yeah...well, at the very least we could have 5 people go online against random fools? i have no idea how it will work

Smokey

Looking more and more like it'll be the 360 version. Matrix join us. You know you want to!

And who wants to join up with me next week and destroy some randoms in 5v5 play?!

I think that'd be pretty funny:lol

Mrbob

I'm thinking about joining this...I want another sports game I can smoke Matrix in. :D

I would get it on 360 if need be.

Smokey

Mrbob said:
I'm thinking about joining this...I want another sports game I can smoke Matrix in. :D

I would get it on 360 if need be.

Matrix appears to be rolling with the PS3 version this season. But it's looking like the season will be held on 360. I'll add you on.

AirBrian

Dammit, Matrix! Everytime I scroll in a thread I think your posts are mine! :lol

pheeniks said:
you got it right smokey!
And I can't wait until Rose runs circles around Beasley. :p Our games will be even more EPIC!

Matrix

Sorry Brian.CUBS ARE GOING TO WIN TONIGHT! WHOOO

Already pre-ordered the PS3 version,I'll miss you guys *runs away crying*

If I ever get the 360 version it will be when I actually own the game system again.

Mrbob

Matrix buy another 360 you make the bigbucks anyway!

Why are you using a cubs avatar I thought you were airbrian! :lol

Matrix

haha I might have a 360 system by the time season 2 rolls around and then maybe I'll pick up a used copy.

As for the avatar,I'm supporting my team the best way I can here.

Matrix

Bob blanked out during our AIM converstation last night Brian,it was hard for him to watch the game and chat at the same time,but I held strong.

He went off to play Madden games while I continued to show loyal support to the Cubs.

Sorry guys no 2K impressions tonight, my source only had Live 09...which is what I ended up buying. I'll still cop 2K9 tomorrow though assuming my source gets it as rescheduled.

Matrix

2k9 demo is out for the PS3.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Can me and pheeniks play for the rights to the Heat?

If not, I'll just sit out this season.

Matrix

Shawnwhann said:
Sorry guys no 2K impressions tonight, my source only had Live 09...which is what I ended up buying. I'll still cop 2K9 tomorrow though assuming my source gets it as rescheduled.

Shawn,if you have some time,please post some Live impressions.

Matrix

2k9 is full of win,game is hot and runs sooooo much better than last year on the PS3.

Crowd is so alive in the stands.
SPLOOGE

Smokey

Cerrius said:
Can me and pheeniks play for the rights to the Heat?

If not, I'll just sit out this season.

Ah I forgot both of you are Heat fans. I think that's a fair way to determine who gets the team if 2 people want em.

Matrix said:
2k9 is full of win,game is hot and runs sooooo much better than last year on the PS3.

Crowd is so alive in the stands.
SPLOOGE

o rly

moar impressions now thnx

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Smokey said:
Ah I forgot both of you are Heat fans. I think that's a fair way to determine who gets the team if 2 people want em.

Ok cool.

I'll be getting the game asap.

pheeniks, get at me when you're ready to battle in 2K9.

Matrix

Some of the shots you can pull off with the right stick in the air are sick and just being able to adjust shots mid-air adds a whole different feel to the game imo.Not sure what the diff level is,but the refs give star players more foul calls and and 1's.

Just small little things added make me smile.Walking the ball back up with your pg with your back to the defender to protect the ball.

Graphically the faces are so much better than last year,not sure if they're as good as Live,but they're right there now.

The crowd again is just alive and with surround sound it's awesome.Crowd goes almost dead quite if the Celtics are getting blown out,you hear a few random claps,but no one waving or standing up etc.

I played 3 games against my bro and one against the cpu and already I'm sooooo much more pleased with this game than 2k8 for the PS3 and this is just a demo and I have no clue what build it is.

Also after playing the Live demo again,it feels great to play a bball game where the players don't slide at all.

Konex will splooge over Kobe.

daw840

I definitely down for the 360 if there is room. Since I don't have seniority in the NBA leagues, I will wait to pick my team until the end.

AB and FMT can vouch for my reliability if needed. :p

Cerrius said:
Ok cool.

I'll be getting the game asap.

pheeniks, get at me when you're ready to battle in 2K9.

if you can tell me where to get the game early.... :(

but yes we'll battle. just one game?

if i don't get heat...i get snaq o'meal and the suns!

AirBrian

daw840 said:
I definitely down for the 360 if there is room. Since I don't have seniority in the NBA leagues, I will wait to pick my team until the end.

AB and FMT can vouch for my reliability if needed. :p
Yep, daw will be a great addition to the league!

AkaBalla

Yo Yo I'm here.. Havent been on the forums in quite some time..

Celtics will be fun to roll with, then next season I will switch teams with someone of course, it's a habit

AkaBalla

Ramirez said:
If I like the demo I'd like to join. I doubt anyone will fight me over the Sixers (Zep, LOL).

Zep likes the Sonics in the game.. Because he likes seeing Pierce's shorts in the rafters.. i guess it would be the Oklahoma City Thunders now..

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
AkaBalla said:
Zep likes the Sonics in the game.. Because he likes seeing Pierce's shorts in the rafters.. i guess it would be the Oklahoma City Thunders now..
????

Matrix said:
Shawn,if you have some time,please post some Live impressions.

Alrighty then, I've put in about 5 games of Live 09 on the PS3.... and I'm loving it a lot more than I thought I would

Graphically, it's not even close for me. Live as a whole has a much more polished and cohesive look to it that really makes it a looker. From the arenas, the lighting, sweating, incidental animations, player bodies etc...it screams next gen. Menus and overlays are slick and informative as well. The only hitches (which I suspect are bugs) are the fact the replays aren't consistently smooth. When I play in Staples Center the replays randomly playing are chuggy as hell yet in the United Center they dont do that. In addition, "The Hightlight Reel" doesn't work it appears as it's just a static page.

Sound, no contest. Live has a much more impressive 5.1 execution going for it relative to NBA2K9. You really feel like you are in an expansive arena while 2K sounds very top heavy. With Kenny "the Jet" Smith gone from 2K, Marv is looking to be the best play by play announcer in this year's game. EDIT- LOVE how full the sound is when the crowd is chanting "MVP" in the 4th quarter with Kobe at the free throw line. It's so awesome!

Gameplay, overall a very positive experience. The court feels very big and, in turn, when you run plays you feel like you can take advantage of how the defense is playing. When I post up Pau or Bynum, I can feel the defense collapse and I can work the ball to the open guy for a good shot.

The playcalling and execution feels so good this year as it's very easy to follow how the play is supposed to develop and work. Indifferent to the preference of shot stick vs two shooting buttons as I've been able to adjust pretty well. In the 2K games, I feel like I can easily cover both the paint and the perimeter at the same time because the players move and stop on a dime. In Live, you truly have to pick your poison.

Pick and roll play is the biggest innovation imo, and it's a game changer for me considering I am heavy pick and roll guy. I was concerned about this being too overpowered, but playing a mixture of zone defenses and manual steals ensure you can defend it decently.

Biggest disappointment, rebounding! 2K9 feels so much better in this respect it's not even funny. In Live I'm still trying to understand the idiosyncrasies of the system to understand how I should rebound. It's currently a crap shot on whether I can manually grab rebounds, but it's not a game breaker for me.

A big question of mine was whether or not player DNA a gimmick or real? From my early experience, it does have an impact on how the game is being played. When I was playing Wizards, Gilbert Arenas was coming up court and chucking up 3 point shots early in the shot clock just like real life. When I was playing against the Jazz, Deron Williams was killing me with the penetrate and kick action to his sharpshooters in addition to playing the two man game with Boozer. Can't wait to see how this changes are the season and "DNA" gets updated.

I haven't even got into all the extra features, but this game is a damn fun b-ball title. It takes a little bit of deprogramming if you've played 2K every year for the past 6-7 years, but it's well worth the effort. Hopefully some of you guys pick it up and we can run some games here and there. Otherwise I look forward to using this primarily for the franchise action as it looks pretty feature rich there.

Highly Recommended so far even with the few bugs and annoyances I've referenced...

Matrix

Thanks for the impressions Shawn,actually sounds real good.The rebounding has always been in issue in Live games imo and the feeling of skating around the court,though you didn't mention that so I'm presuming there is no issue with that anymore.

I'm tempted to pick it up to also test out the be a pro mode which is a blast in NHL.

Matrix

:lol

Is that link for me?

I'll be finally calling 1-800-4shit-xbox tomorrow and try to get another refurb sent to me.I'm just not spending $200 or more on another xbox right now.

Top Bottom