• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abortion Debate / Discussion Only In This Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDubya

Banned
*Thread and text to be subjected to formatting for readability / basic "clean-up."

Vennt said:
No don't, seriously don't - Any future abortion-related derailments of PoliGAF's election threads are going to be met with bans so dictatorial that even the anarchists will start crying for a mommy-state.

HEED THIS WARNING.

Warning heeded. Hence, my thread, not the watching polls and smoking hopium thread. In the fine tradition of the massive Second Amendment brouhaha thread I made once upon a time, here we go.

Intro

This is a widely divisive political issue, and it's one I'm in the minority on around here.

Been subject to a mutual banning from arguing this topic before, got heated and the ad homs flew.

Opinions get pretty strong, and things can get personal; general rule: respect people, disrespect ideologies; use words carefully.

State your beliefs, respond to others, yadda, yadda, yadda. Ask the mods if this is where you're supposed to talk about what political candidates said about abortion - beats me, but they don't want this topic in the main PoliGaf thread.

JayDub's Stance / Opening Argument:

In the spirit of folks like Locke & Jefferson, every human being possesses certain unalienable rights, amongst these are the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness / property / rational self-interest (and the way they're worded in various sources, these things all logically flow together). It makes no difference whether or not you buy in, as Locke did, into the notion of these rights being inherent to man via divine creation, or they are things you personally believe in and consider man's innate characteristics to be worthy of.

Some people obviously refute the premise, but my counterpoint is ever the same: without certain bedrock, universal notions of rights, there is no grounds for labeling or judging the actions of other societies, under any circumstances. How do you prosecute "genocide" if those doing the human culling do so under their own legal authority and those being butchered are declared to have no rights or to not be human? Perhaps that ties too neatly into the overall topic here.

I'm not a religious person, I'm a science geek. As a science geek, I have little patience for irrationality or ignorance. My views on abortion are informed entirely by rationality and knowledge of embryological science. The notion that science doesn't answer when life begins is preposterous hooey perpetuated by those that benefit from continued moral ambiguity.

I find the notion of legal personhood, as it has been used historically, to be absolutely repugnant. It is used not defensively, to protect the rights of human beings, but offensively, to say who is expendable. Whether we're talking about slaves or non-citizen detainees at Guantanamo Bay, the notion that it's okay to do bad things to those human beings but not these is what this legal jargon is all about.

Legal jargon sums it up pretty well. Ethical philosophy and law; subjective, political, open to interpretation. Versus cold, hard, scientific fact.

There is a stable, working definition of "life" in the first chapter of every Biology textbook. It is a series of characteristics, a checklist, by which we can determine that salt crystal is not alive but that bacterium is.

As for "human," that is simply a common use term. A human being is a member of the species Homo sapiens. A member of the species Homo sapiens is a human being. A = B, B = A.

For all rational purposes, we have a basis for "human" and "life."

I say that "personhood" should not exclude any living human being. I further say that any society that does exclude living human beings from personhood is guilty of human rights abuse.

FAQ / Common Misconceptions / Follow-up "Debate" Points

"What about animals?"

What about them? This is a human rights issue. A position on the rights of other animals is mostly immaterial. One could be a card-carrying member of PETA and oppose abortion (indeed, that would be rational and consistent). One could just as easily be an avid hunter and still not have a moral conundrum on their hands if they opposed legal abortion.

"But a fetus doesn't have sentience / sapience!"

The unconsciousness of a child in utero is a transitory and physiologically normal state; the continuation of normal biological processes would result in the brain development viewed as so intrinsic to some re: the value of a entity. This is not the equivalent to being "brain dead" and on life support, because that refers to a pathophysiological, permanent state that occurs at the end of someone's life.

"I just jacked off, am I guilty of mass murder? HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR."

Slap yourself in the face for being retarded. Do it. Right now.

I've lost count of how many times I've gotten this one.

A sperm cell is one cell, not unlike your neurons, your muscle cells, your skin cells, or whatever. Until you eject it at rapid velocity, it's just another part of you; the major differences being that as a fully differentiated adult cell, a sperm cell only contains half the normal amount of DNA (which is how the whole sexual reproduction thing, you know, works).

A human child in utero is a distinct, living human organism, no matter what stage of biological development it is in. Your sperm is just one cell.

And now, a response to posts in a thread I cannot post responses of such a manner in.

Fragamemnon said:
He wouldn't, and the fundie witch's attacks are based off a debunked smear campaign from the National Right to Life, arguably a domestic terrorist group.

By whose argument, with what evidence?

Jonm1010 said:
I really dont know how you manage to find every single poster on this board who mentions abortion, its really an amazing gift! You lurk in shadows, sometimes for days on end and then bam! Someone somewhere on this board says abortion and moments later Jaydub is there! Its like GAFs own personal bat signal.

Beats me, I just missed these 90+ minutes worth of argument.

The Lamonster said:
So is my family. I had to go to mass yesterday. I'm not hating on them, just hating on their bullshit obsession with the abortion issue.

Every major problem our species faces is the result of over-population.

Malthusians are frustrating. Predominantly because they're unwilling or unable to lead the way in reducing the population. They want the population to go down, but its usually the brown people's children they want to go away.

Saint Gregory said:
"Pro-Abortion"? Does that mean that she fears he may kick in her door sometime during the next few months and forcefully abort her fetus? WTF?

Pro and anti abortion are much more accurate titles than the common nomenclature.

Stridone said:
Ending a non-sentient clump of cells is not really disgusting, rationally speaking.

I suppose that's where we'd differ. The "clump of cells" is a distinct, entire human organism, and human beings are entities invested with legal rights that warrant protection.

RubxQub said:
Q: How many people are affected by the economy?
A: Everyone

Q: How many people are affected by abortions?
A: Hardly anyone

Everyone that hires an abortionist, every parent denied any reasonable joint authority over the decision to destroy the body of their child, and of course, the children themselves.

I've answered this before;"How many people were affected by slavery?" Technically, the slave trader made a profit, the slave owner has some useful property until it dies, and otherwise no people were affected. Because personhood isn't afforded to those that are classified as slaves. Were it so simple, as a simple matter of classification and wording, you can whitewash any sin away.

RubxQub said:
Are the Economy and Abortion of equal importance to America at large? If you say yes, then you're wrong.

Yes. Legal abortion, like legal slavery, is a human rights abuse. It lowers our entire society.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
JayDubya said:
How's that work? Self-defense requires aggression.

Having seen a video of childbirth, I'd call that aggression. Not blaming people for not wanting to go through with that, no matter how the creature ended in there.

way more

In Colorado we have a referendum to the State Constitution that would legally define a life as beginning at the moment of conception. Do you support this?

What about these scenarios:

A married couple is unable to conceive on their own so they visit a fertility clinic. In a costly procedure the egg and sperm are extracted form the parents to-be and they attempt to fertilize the eggs artificially. Six of the eggs become fertilized while several more do not. Are they then required by law or your morals to raise all six?

A women becomes impregnated but the egg doesn't settle in the uterus and instead in the belly. Allowing the fetus to grow is dangerous and a threat to the womens life.

In Colorado you need the least amount of people in any state to amend the constitution so we get a lot of this crap.

Gallbaro

Banned
I am just gonna put in a completely analogous story and then ball the fuck out out of this soon to be lefty hell hole.

My fiancee, about 3 months pregnant with our son listened to one particular Bob Dylan song very frequently, imagine a modern pop song played on the radio , soldier boy?, and how frequently it is played then imagine my fiancee listening to this Bob Dylan song even more than that. So about 2 months of that then she is sick of the song and then skip forward 14 months.

Kid will not shut up in the car, a proverbial scream due to proverbial gas pains. Screaming his head off so we grab the closest cd in the car and put it on and try to drown him out, it is the Bob Dylan cd and he still screams his freaking head off. But then it gets to the track I mentioned earlier and almost as if a button was pressed he stops screaming.

Also for a woman to have the right to forfeit the responsibility of a child while the father has no similar choice or say in the matter is really fucking unfair if we are gonna be killing babies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Gallbaro said:
Also for a woman to have the right to forfeit the responsibility of a child while the father has no similar choice or say in the matter is really fucking unfair if we are gonna be killing babies.

err, I don't see the father carrying the child.

Gallbaro

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
err, I don't see the father carrying the child.

No but legally he bears the responsibility for its welfare after it is born, the same responsibility that a woman can shed via abortion. The father however has no choice.

There are about 18 years after those 9 months.

JayDubya

Banned
Gantz said:
If some scumbag raped your wife, would you force her go through the pregnancy?

How does I force wife?

Wouldn't happen with our current contraception, but for the sake of argument, she and I would not blame the child for the act of the scumbag, and would not want to see him (or her) killed.

It would not be a whole lot of fun. We might have to give the child up for adoption because it would be too hard to do otherwise. I can't say for sure because I'm not in that situation.

What I can understand is this: I'd rather be alive and have had the chance to make something of myself than to be snuffed out. For starters, if I want to kill myself because my life sucks, I can choose to do that to myself.

Said scumbag should be the one financially on the hook, with all his possessions liquidated as neccessary and his future wages garnished. It's a shitty situation all around, but you don't add any justice to the scenario by killing an innocent third party.

Yes, a fetus is alive and it is human. So what? If I chop my arm off, for a short while it will also be alive and human. In a decade or three, we'll probably have the ability to grow a human arm out of a few cells in a laboratory, where it will stay alive as long as scientists choose to keep it alive. If someone decides to destroy this arm, should that person be considered a murderer?

A human being is more than a bunch of cells that contain DNA, it's a complex self-aware mind. Destroying such a mind is murder, destroying cells isn't.

Abortion might be murder, but at some point you have to stop caring.

Freakonimics makes an pretty convincing argument about abortion curbing crime.

Also who's to say life begins at conception? Every time a girl is on the rag she is snuffing out a potential life.

White Man

I'm pro-choice, but I appreciate that being pro-life is an equally rational position. What I *do* dislike is the set of people that solely vote on this single issue.

JayDubya said:
How does I force wife?

Wouldn't happen with our current contraception, but for the sake of argument, she and I would not blame the child for the act of the scumbag, and would not want to see him or her killed.

It would not be a whole lot of fun. We might have to give the child up for adoption because it would be too hard to do otherwise. But I'd rather be alive and have had the chance to make something of myself than to be snuffed out. For starters, if I want to kill myself because my life sucks, I can choose to do that to myself.

Said scumbag should be the one financially on the hook, with all his possessions liquidated as neccessary and his future wages garnished.
That is a very weird stance. I never thought I'd ever see it defended in a discussion.

This post isn't meant in a bad way, even though I know it comes across as so. :/

Gantz

Banned
JayDubya said:
How does I force wife?

Wouldn't happen with our current contraception, but for the sake of argument, she and I would not blame the child for the act of the scumbag, and would not want to see him (or her) killed.

It would not be a whole lot of fun. We might have to give the child up for adoption because it would be too hard to do otherwise. But I'd rather be alive and have had the chance to make something of myself than to be snuffed out. For starters, if I want to kill myself because my life sucks, I can choose to do that to myself.

Said scumbag should be the one financially on the hook, with all his possessions liquidated as neccessary and his future wages garnished. It's a shitty situation all around, but you don't add any justice to the scenario by killing an innocent third party.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

so you would really would seriously go through with it?

Abortion should be legal.

If you don't support abortion then don't get an abortion; if you do support abortion then get an abortion if you so choose.

Don't bother anyone else about it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
White Man said:
I'm pro-choice, but I appreciate that being pro-life is an equally rational position. What I *do* dislike is the set of people that solely vote on this single issue.
Especially since its not like the President or Congress can do anything to change the current policy.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Gallbaro said:
I am just gonna put in a completely analogous story and then ball the fuck out out of this soon to be lefty hell hole.

My fiancee, about 3 months pregnant with our son listened to one particular Bob Dylan song very frequently, imagine a modern pop song played on the radio , soldier boy?, and how frequently it is played then imagine my fiancee listening to this Bob Dylan song even more than that. So about 2 months of that then she is sick of the song and then skip forward 14 months.

Kid will not shut up in the car, a proverbial scream due to proverbial gas pains. Screaming his head off so we grab the closest cd in the car and put it on and try to drown him out, it is the Bob Dylan cd and he still screams his freaking head off. But then it gets to the track I mentioned earlier and almost as if a button was pressed he stops screaming.

A fetus cannot hear at three months. Maybe your child liked the song because it was a particularly good song, which is why your wife listened to it relentlessly in the first place.

Gallbaro said:

Men and women have differing burdens--only women have to carry--so why should they have similar abortion rights? Pragmatically, how would you give a man similar rights. Would that entail forcing a woman to carry to term if that's his wish? Or aborting the fetus if that's his wish?

JayDubya

Banned
PhlegmMaster said:
Yes, a fetus is alive and it is human. So what? If I chop my arm off, for a short while it will also be alive and human. In a decade or three, we'll probably have the ability to grow a human arm out of a few cells in a laboratory, where it will stay alive as long as scientists choose to keep it alive. If someone decides to destroy this arm, should that person be considered a murderer?

A human being is more than a bunch of cells that contain DNA, it's a complex self-aware mind. Destroying such a mind is murder, destroying cells isn't.

Answered above: like the representative single sperm or skin cell, your arm is not a human organism, it is part of a human organism.

No Means Nomad said:
Abortion might be murder, but at some point you have to stop caring.

It's aggressive homicide, but it's legal, so it's not murder. My caring about it generally relates to legal aggressive homicide being horrendously inappropriate.

Freakonimics makes an pretty convincing argument about abortion curbing crime.

Utilitarianism of that sort is quite the slippery slope; such arguments are not compelling to me. Injustice that benefits us does not become hunky dory by virtue of the fact that it benefits us.

Also who's to say life begins at conception? Every time a girl is on the rag she is snuffing out a potential life.

Textbook embryological science? Also, answered above: an unfertilized egg is not a living human organism.

terrene

Banned
Hm, is this really a "discussion" thread or a "JayDubya fires a shot across the bow in which pro-life talking points pre-empt all anticipated discussion" thread?

If you really wanted to discuss something you might have left things a little more open and up for debate. Or perhaps posed a question. Not everyone is interested in reading the "what does JayDubya think" FAQ.

JayDubya said:
Answered above: like the representative single sperm or skin cell, your arm is not a human organism, it is part of a human organism.

According to dictionary.com, an organism is "a form of life composed of mutually interdependent parts that maintain various vital processes."

An arm in a bacta tank is alive, and it is composed of mutually interdependent parts. You could argue that it doesn't maintain every one of its vital processes, since it needs the tank to remain alive, but then the same is true of a fetus: It needs the mother to remain alive and won't survive by itself.

JayDubya

Banned
terrene said:
Hm, is this really a "discussion" thread or a "JayDubya fires a shot across the bow in which pro-life talking points pre-empt all anticipated discussion" thread?

If you really wanted to discuss something you might have left things a little more open and up for debate. Or perhaps posed a question. Not everyone is interested in reading the "what does JayDubya think" FAQ.

Hey, my Second Amendment / Gun Control discussion thread started like this, and that went on for quite a few pages, with each person posting their own views.

I could edit the first post to foster better discussion / debate, if that's what you're suggesting. Not sure what to say. I basically just set the preface of why the thread exists, ask people to keep it civil, then launched into my response / opening salvo.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
malek4980 said:
Men and women have differing pre-natal burdens--only women have to carry--so why should they have similar abortion rights? Pragmatically, how would you give a man similar rights. Would that entail forcing a woman to carry to term if that's his wish? Or aborting the fetus if that's his wish?

I'd say a man should have the right to perform some kind of a symbolic abortion. So if a mother wanted to keep the baby but the father didn't, he could renounce all responsibilities (and rights) as a father, just as long as he does it while the actual abortion is still legal. Of course I suppose it could be allowed that the father can regain his legal status later if the mother agrees to it.

daegan

White Man said:

I'll get behind this.

Pregnancy is such a complex thing and something that I know, as a man, I'll never fully comprehend.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
All I ask is that anyone taking an antiabortion position on the basis that the fetus is a human life be willing to punish women who get abortions the same way they would punish murderers.

JD, to his credit, is down for this. Who else?

JayDubya

Banned
Mandark said:
All I ask is that anyone taking an antiabortion position on the basis that the fetus is a human life be willing to punish women who get abortions the same way they would punish murderers.

I don't see a distinction (as you note above - whoops).

daegan

John Dunbar said:
I'd say a man should have the right to perform some kind of a symbolic abortion. So if a mother wanted to keep the baby but the father didn't, he could renounce all responsibilities (and rights) as a father, just as long as he does it while the actual abortion is still legal.

YES

John Dunbar said:
Of course I suppose it could be allowed that the father can regain his legal status later if the mother agrees to it.

NO

If the woman's decision is permanent, so should the man's be.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think that Jay's attitude here is strange - he wants government to interfere with people's reproductive lives.

JayDubya

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I think that Jay's attitude here is strange - he wants government to interfere with people's reproductive lives.

The argument is entirely rights based / abolitionist.

I want government to protect basic human rights from aggression.

A society that does not prosecute aggressive homicide may as well be anarchy.

pnjtony

Life ends when brain activity cease's.

Life begins when brain activity begins which is around the second trimester.

/end

terrene

Banned
JayDubya said:
Hey, my Second Amendment / Gun Control discussion thread started like this, and that went on for quite a few pages, with each person posting their own views.

I could edit the first post to foster better discussion / debate, if that's what you're suggesting. Not sure what to say. I basically just set the preface of why the thread exists, ask people to keep it civil, then launched into my response / opening salvo.
It's not the biggest deal ever, mabe some good can come out of the thread... But literally posting a FAQ on your pro-life views, complete witih GAF quotes and counterpoints right in the OP made the discussion largely academic; it's almost as if you actually had an entire discussion right in post #1.

Branduil

Mandark said:

If by "willing to punish" you mean "do you think the penalty for unlawfully killing an unborn child should be the same as unlawfully killing a person who has been born" then yes I do.

Gallbaro

Banned
malek4980 said:
A fetus cannot hear at three months. Maybe your child liked the song because it was a particularly good song, which is why your wife listened to it relentlessly in the first place.

It was somewhere around the 3rd month to the 6th month of relentless listening. And its Bob Dylan so unless he could understand the lyrics the song sucked.

malek4980 said:
Men and women have differing burdens--only women have to carry--so why should they have similar abortion rights? Pragmatically, how would you give a man similar rights. Would that entail forcing a woman to carry to term if that's his wish? Or aborting the fetus if that's his wish?

Let me clarify;
Woman has the right to forfeit the post pregnancy responsibility of a child via abortion, or putting it up for adoption unilaterally.
Man has no recourse to forfeit the post pregnancy responsibility of a child via any means.

While I clearly have no intention of using such recourse just the fact that only one party can choose to give up the responsibility of parenthood while the other has no choice, even though (in this argument) the act of sex was a mutual risk that both parties took and understood.

JayDubya

Banned
terrene said:
It's not the biggest deal ever, mabe some good can come out of the thread... But literally posting a FAQ on your pro-life views, complete witih GAF quotes and counterpoints right in the OP made the discussion largely academic; it's almost as if you actually had an entire discussion right in post #1.

I edited the format of the OP to try and make it a little better.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Interfere with saving a life, much like the police are supposed to interfere with someone's attempt to take yours.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
JayDubya said:
The argument is entirely rights based / abolitionist.

I want government to protect basic human rights from aggression.

A society that does not prosecute aggressive homicide may as well be anarchy.

Homicide is a legal definition. You mean termination or killing. Since abortion isn't illegal, it's not homicide.

Gallbaro

Banned
Mandark said:

Most states and I think federal treat the murder of a pregnant woman as a double murder.

This has always confused the living shit out of my, as if the woman's intention to carry the baby means it is alive.

What if they blew up an abortion clinic what then?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
OuterWorldVoice said:

It's all internally consistent (even though I think it's wrong).

If someone is willing to make exceptions in the case of rape or incest, they obviously don't think of the fetus as a life. Would you think it was okay to kill a baby because the mother had been raped? Of course not. You'd only make the distinction with abortion if you didn't consider the fetus to be morally equivalent to a baby.

So the people who make exceptions for rape and incest, and refuse to back strong punishments for the mothers, are taking their position for some other reason. My guess is that most of those cases come down to old tyme sexual morals.

JayDubya

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Homicide is a legal definition. You mean termination or killing. Since abortion isn't illegal, it's not homicide.

No, "murder" is a legal definition.

Homicide is generic. There are legal forms of homicide.

Killing in self-defense is an example of what is considered to be a "justifiable" or legal homicide. A killing in which an exception is granted and no prosecution takes place.

Abortion is another example. I don't think it should be, because I don't think it meets the reasonable burdens required for justifiable homicide; hence, thread.

terrene

Banned
The approximate number of induced abortions performed worldwide in 2003 was 42 million.

Over 40 million a year that would have come into lives not ready or not willing or not able to receive them. That is such a savings in pain and hardship for people who were able to exercise their right to choose.

Garson Romalis said:
I have been an abortion provider since 1972. Why do I do abortions, and why do I continue to do abortions, despite two murder attempts?

The first time I started to think about abortion was in 1960, when I was in secondyear medical school. I was assigned the case of a young woman who had died of a septic abortion. She had aborted herself using slippery elm bark.

I had never heard of slippery elm. A buddy and I went down to skid row, and without too much difficulty, purchased some slippery elm bark to use as a visual aid in our presentation. Slippery elm is not sterile, and frequently contains spores of the bacteria that cause gas gangrene. It is called slippery elm because, when it gets wet, it feels slippery. This makes it easier to slide slender pieces through the cervix where they absorb water, expand, dilate the cervix, produce infection and induce abortion. The young woman in our case developed an overwhelming infection. At autopsy she had multiple abscesses throughout her body, in her brain, lungs, liver and abdomen.

I have never forgotten that case.

After I graduated from University of British Columbia medical school in 1962, I went to Chicago, where I served my internship and Ob/Gyn residency at Cook County Hospital. At that time, Cook County had about 3,000 beds, and served a mainly indigent population. If you were really sick, or really poor, or both, Cook County was where you went.

The first month of my internship was spent on Ward 41, the septic obstetrics ward. Yes, it's hard to believe now, but in those days, they had one ward dedicated exclusively to septic complications of pregnancy.

About 90% of the patients were there with complications of septic abortion. The ward had about 40 beds, in addition to extra beds which lined the halls. Each day we admitted between 10-30 septic abortion patients. We had about one death a month, usually from septic shock associated with hemorrhage.

I will never forget the 17-year-old girl lying on a stretcher with 6 feet of small bowel protruding from her vagina. She survived.

I will never forget the jaundiced woman in liver and kidney failure, in septic shock, with very severe anemia, whose life we were unable to save.

Today, in Canada and the U.S., septic shock from illegal abortion is virtually never seen. Like smallpox, it is a "disappeared disease."
Let me tell you about an abortion patient I looked after recently. She was 18 years old, and 18-19 weeks pregnant. She came from a very strict, religious family. She was an only daughter, and had several brothers. She was East Indian Hindu and her boyfriend was East Indian Muslim, which did not please her parents. She told me if her parents found out she was pregnant she would be disowned and kicked out of the family home. She also told me that her brothers would murder her boyfriend, and I believed her. About an hour after her operation I and my nurse saw her and her boyfriend walking out of the clinic hand in hand, and I said to my nurse, "Look at that. We saved two lives today."

I love my work. I get enormous personal and professional satisfaction out of helping people, and that includes providing safe, comfortable, abortions. The people that I work with are extraordinary, and we all feel that we are doing important work, making a real difference in peoples' lives.

I can take an anxious woman, who is in the biggest trouble she has ever experienced in her life, and by performing a five-minute operation, in comfort and dignity, I can give her back her life.

After an abortion operation, patients frequently say "Thank You Doctor." But abortion is the only operation I know of where they also sometimes say "Thank you for what you do."

I want to tell you one last story that I think epitomizes the satisfaction I get from my privileged work. Some years ago I spoke to a class of University of British Columbia medical students. As I left the classroom, a student followed me out. She said: "Dr. Romalis, you won't remember me, but you did an abortion on me in 1992. I am a secondyear medical student now, and if it weren't for you I wouldn't be here now."
I have absolutely no empathy or feeling for fetuses. I have empathy for the hundreds of millions of people whose lives would have been ruined if conception was always a one way ticket to rasing and supporting a human being, and the tens of millions of women who would have gone down dangerous paths to illegally abort if we didn't accept our responsibility to offer safe, legal abortions.

Pro-lifers surely can't deny there's a silver lining.

JayDubya

Banned
Gantz said:
because I don't believe him or any guy pro-life/pro-choice would go through it. he's arguing for the sake of arguing.

I say what I mean.

A virtue isn't a virtue, a conviction isn't a conviction if you abandon it the minute it becomes personally inconvenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom