• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 Minute DSi video tour and picture comparisons.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So I made this thing, it's long, I ramble, but I go through pretty much every feature on the DSi. This isn't a sp0rsk show, so if you could keep the hate (of me) down to a minimum that would be great, yeah

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/22400

P.S. I realize the reason I couldn't connect to a web site was cause I typed the address wrong, but you get the general idea...

Also, I guess just for more self promotion, my blog with launch day impressions: http://sp0rsk.1up.com and full on comparisons with the Lite and DS fat: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171063

MoogPaul

I will most likely get one of these when they become available in the states. I will then let my wife have my lite since she has begun to express an interest in getting one anyway. Keeping one of each around will be nice because sometimes I'm going to want that GBA slot.

No_Style

Thorough and awesome.

Is it possible to navigate the menu without using the bar? (ie: Dragging the icons instead?)

sprsk

No_Style said:
Thorough and awesome.

Is it possible to navigate the menu without using the bar? (ie: Dragging the icons instead?)

You can use the D-pad, I don't think you have to use the bar, I just do.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So hey, about that power button. You say it'll take you back to the main DS menu if you tap it. Does that mean an accidental tap will exit the game you're playing? Or will it prompt you with an "are you sure?" Or overlay a mini-menu of sorts?

Maybe this is in the vid, but I can't watch it right this sec.

sprsk

Tathanen said:
So hey, about that power button. You say it'll take you back to the main DS menu if you tap it. Does that mean an accidental tap will exit the game you're playing? Or will it prompt you with an "are you sure?" Or overlay a mini-menu of sorts?

Maybe this is in the vid, but I can't watch it right this sec.

It's hard to tap. You really gotta press down on it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Thanks for the vid, will definitely get one once it's out in Europe. But I'm wondering how the games look on the bigger screens, you only showed the title screen for Bangaio... Do sprites look stretched, I'm concerned sprites might look more jaggier on the DSi.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Video was a tad too long to watch, but the pics were great.

Definitely can't wait, but the front of the DSi needs some sort of sticker or something.

Here's hoping the thing doesn't cost $180 when it hits the States. I'm down for $150 and a sweet Lite trade-in deal at Gamestop ;)

LCfiner

good impressions.

this pic made me :lol

638.jpg

Yes Boss!

Gamecocks625 said:
Here's hoping the thing doesn't cost $180 when it hits the States. I'm down for $150 and a sweet Lite trade-in deal at Gamestop ;)

It has gotta be $149 in the US. Remember when they shocked us by releasing the lite at only $129.

zigg

D-pad and buttons aren't clicky like the classic DS, then? Are they at least better than the Lite?

sky

Pretty neat, I didn't realize they were changing all the menus and whatnot.
I wonder if the face detection works on other things, like stuffed toys?

Chemo

sp0rsk said:
Like the old DS.
You have got to be fucking kidding me. I almost refuse to believe that they'd go BACK to that after fixing it with the DS Lite.

The DSi can suck a whole god damned barrel of dicks if it brings this back.

Hive

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Like the old DS.

I read your 1up impressions and was really happy you answered that! The mushy d-pad on the Lite made games like Band Bros. a bit frustrating to play, so this is great great news!

Thanks Sp0rsk~

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So that whole thing about it having one QVGA camera and one 3.0mp camera was false? They're just both QVGA? Or what?

Dacvak said:
So that whole thing about it having one QVGA camera and one 3.0mp camera was false? They're just both QVGA? Or what?

It was false from day one as many people tried to say.
Great vid and answered most questions, this could be a regular thing for you :D

Hive

Banned
I couldn't get the video to load past 40%, roughly..

Darn, I really want to see the whole thing~ -_-

D-Pad

Awesome video there, sp0rsk. Makes the wait for the NA release that much harder. :( Was gonna import, 'til I read about the region locked DSWare.

antispin

You probably have an arrangement with 1UP but -- could you not upload this to YouTube as well? I really hate how slow gamevideos streams. I am still stuck on the pre-roll ad :lol

Oh and thanks for the effort.

sprsk

antispin said:
You probably have an arrangement with 1UP but -- could you not upload this to YouTube as well? I really hate how slow gamevideos streams. I am still stuck on the pre-roll ad :lol

Oh and thanks for the effort.

It's 22 minutes so no not really...

cabel

Kulock said:
It's too bad Cabel isn't up for it, I loved his old DS/DS Lite comparison series.

You know, I thought about it, but I'm a hard act to follow. :)

Besides, isn't the online stuff region encoded? Then I'd have to buy two DSi's! ;)

Well, if I get my hands on one, you never know.

Hive

Banned
cabel said:

Besides, isn't the online stuff region encoded? Then I'd have to buy two DSi's! ;)

just make sure to bring the fruit loops!

*ahem* "confetti" ^_~

sprsk

A Link to the Snitch said:
So, if I imported when it came out in PAL regions, would I only have access to their DSiWares?

Unless someone comes out with a hack, yes.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Chemo said:
You have got to be fucking kidding me. I almost refuse to believe that they'd go BACK to that after fixing it with the DS Lite.
Agreed. Not sure why everyone else dislikes the Lite pad and loves the Phat one. Oh well, maybe the DSi d-pad is actually good to use but I'll only know when I have one around to test.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
cabel said:

Oh God, I had forgotten you posted on GAF! Please please please do a DSi video review when it's out in the US, I beg you!

sprsk

Alaluef said:
Agreed. Not sure why everyone else dislikes the Lite pad and loves the Phat one. Oh well, maybe the DSi d-pad is actually good to use but I'll only know when I have one around to test.

It's the DS lite pad with the DS fat clicking, it's nice.

Neomoto

Damn, looks nicer then I thought :( Now I kind of want to have one. If DS Ware becomes too awesome I doubt I can resist :(

Informative vid, thanks.

I kinda want one, chiefly for the bigger screens and integrated browser. Not enough to import though.

Top Bottom