• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF After Party Thread of Harsh Realities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
ObamaPresident.jpg

PRESIDENT-ELECT BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA II

THIS IS SOME FANTASY LAND SHIT

Thought PoliGAF was gone, eh?

Seriously, it's real. Wake up. So now we're past the honeymoon phase, and it's time to get down in the dirt. You heard Obama is going to get off the ground running, and with no Bush in the office the only certainty is complete fucking change.

So, who will he choose for his cabinet positions? Will he be a post-partisan figurehead, bringing people from both parties into the mix? Will he become a furious leftwing defender, crashing down the dreams of a new tomorrow? This is the thread for that discussion and other political news, until Inaguration Day and beyond.

LET'S GET DETAILS

So what will the transition team look like?

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/us/politics/06elect.html]NYTimes[/url] said:
A slew of people were named Wednesday to serve on an advisory board for Mr. Obama’s transition, including William Daley, a former secretary of commerce; Michael Froman, an executive at Citigroup, former treasury department official and former classmate of Mr. Obama’s at Harvard Law School; Julius Genachowski, another former law school classmate, former chief counsel to the Federal Communications Communications and one of the Obama campaign’s biggest fund-raisers; and Susan E. Rice, a former Clinton administration official and senior foreign policy advisor to the Obama campaign.

Chris Lu, Mr. Obama’s legislative director in the Senate, was named executive director of the transition team.

THE CHIEF OF STAFF -

Rahm.jpg

[url=http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15314.html]Politico[/url] said:
In his first major move as president-elect, Barack Obama has asked Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.), a tough-minded tactician with West Wing experience, to serve as his White House chief of staff, Democratic sources tell Politico.

Emanuel has said to friends that he wants and will take the job, but it was not a done deal as of early this morning. Obama plans to move swiftly with his transition announcement and could name Emanuel this week, the sources said. He then plans rapid-fire announcements on his economic and national security teams.

I think this a very workman-like choice, nothing revelatory yet. Discuss implications etc.

THE PRESS SECRETARY

081106_gibbs_brown.jpg

[url=http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15385.html]Politico[/url] said:
Robert Gibbs, 37, sits in the inner ring of Obama’s inner circle, serving as a personal cheerleader and media enforcer who is one of a handful of aides to speak with almost unquestioned authority on Obama's behalf. An Alabama native with a slight Southern drawl, Gibbs is a smooth talker and a fierce combatant, kibitzing with the press one minute and going to war over a story the next.

“Robert has managed through the years to sort of find the perfect space for a flak,” said Jim Jordan, a Democratic strategist who hired Gibbs at the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in 2002 and onto John Kerry’s 2004 presidential campaign. “He knows where the sweet spot is between loyalty and exceedingly fierce advocacy for his boss and doing what he can to serve the needs of the press.”

Obvious choice.

THE ULTIMATE PUFF OF HOPIUM

January 20, Obama is Inaugurated. After nearly 2 years of campaigning, twists, turns... we made it. But here is where the fun begins.

What promises will he be able to keep? What priorities will he drop? The harsh realities are now here, and a president has to make hard choices. What are YOUR hopes and idealS?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Post I had typed up in the other thread before it got closed, discussing Texas going blue -

Tamanon said:
Or if a lot of his energy infrastructure goes there(solar panels and the like) to help replace the oil economy.
We've already got a lot of windmills going up.

Was driving out to Lubbock from Dallas a few weeks back, and in the just over two years since the last time I made that drive there were 40 straight miles of highway where you could look out and there were windmills as far as the eye could see.

emot-obama.gif

Anyone know where I can find uninterrupted footage of CNN's broadcast yesterday? I want to watch it since I was away from the TV.

HolyStar

Banned
Rahm Emanuel is Obama's Chief of Staff??? Well I guess Obama wasn't serious about trying to his best to unify congress.

Emanuel is like the epitome of Chicago politics. You definitely can't be afraid of Obama being unwilling to break a few arms to get his way with a pick like this.

Congressional Republicans and difficult Democrats should be afraid.

harSon

Banned
Title should have been PoliGAF After Party Thread of Move Over Morgran Freeman, We've Got a Real Black President.

Chiggs

Amir0x said:
and with no Bush in the office the only certainty is complete fucking change.

Well, I would hope so given his entire campaign centered around that. Anything less would be a failure and Bush-levels of mockery would most certainly follow.

Tamanon

Banned
Monroeski said:
Post I had typed up in the other thread before it got closed, discussing Texas going blue -

We've already got a lot of windmills going up.

Was driving out to Lubbock from Dallas a few weeks back, and in the just over two years since the last time I made that drive there were 40 straight miles of highway where you could look out and there were windmills as far as the eye could see.

And that's how you grab a state and make it permanent, you make the economic side trump any possible cultural side of things.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
From the last thread:

Go read "Audacity of Hope". He isn't "extremely liberal" at all..

The people who will end up attacking him the most are folks on the far left

Don't get on my nuts about this, now. I'm a conservative that supported Obama... what more can you ask for from me?

I don't *need* to read Audacity of Hope, because I've read http://www.barackobama.com/issues/. A lot of what's there I don't support. I supported him because of his CHARACTER.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of issues I agree with Obama on. I'm very excited about his Energy policy and his Tech. policy in general, for example.

All I was saying is that I hope he governs from the center, so I get the sweet, sweet, rational leadership I've craved for so long, but that it doesn't come with a side-serving of Left policies I don't support.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
And for more Hopium overdose:

StoOgE's official post of why we need to turn Texas blue in the next 10 years. With changing demographics this is something that *could* happen. Obama did roughly as well in Texas as McCain did in PA. And McCain spent a lot of time effort and money in PA that Obama did not spend in Texas. Not saying it's easy, but if we can do it..

Here is what turning Texas blue would look like to the electoral map.

texasblue.jpg

I would consider this an extremely safe EV count + Texas. 30 votes shy of the magic number, and there are multiple blue states left off of that count. If Texas turns blue Dems are in the catbird seat to win every presidential election.

gimmmick

After I left the gym this morning, I filled up my tank with regular. I'm keeping the receipt and stashing it away with my voter registration card, I voted sticker and all. I still have my stuff for 2004 :lol Would be cool to see how much gasoline will be in the next 4 years (It's 2.45 here in Vegas).

I think Matt Damon and Leonardo Dicaprio should have a role in Obama's administration. Maybe something to do with humanitarian efforts around impoverished nations.

Already on the ball, damn. I'm glad to hear this. Between Rahm as CoS and Kennedy going to EPA, we're off to a good start.

I hope they can mobilize fast enough to catch Bush's attempts at passing last minute bills.

Diablos

My only beef with Emanuel is that he was key to helping get NAFTA passed. We can argue if NAFTA was necessary or not, but it left a bad taste in many Americans' mouths in regard to jobs and the economy, so, I don't know if this is going to rub a lot of his supporters the right way.

vitaflo

I love the "Why do you hate America?" right wingers on Facebook now saying they're going to move to Canada. Hypocrites.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Monroeski said:

We need them up in the jetstream. I think I read somewhere that if we could harness just a teeny-tiny fraction of the power up there (like, 0.1% or something), it'd be enough to power the whole of the US.

We could make it the new space race or something. The race for clean, renewable, and independent energy.

Macam

Banned
chubigans said:
What are those big plates of glass for on the podium stage?

I just figured it was bullet-proof glass, but I don't really know offhand.

StoOgE said:
And for more Hopium overdose:

StoOgE's official post of why we need to turn Texas blue in the next 10 years. With changing demographics this is something that *could* happen. Obama did roughly as well in Texas as McCain did in PA. And McCain spent a lot of time effort and money in PA that Obama did not spend in Texas. Not saying it's easy, but if we can do it..

Here is what turning Texas blue would look like to the electoral map.

texasblue.jpg

I would consider this an extremely safe EV count + Texas. 30 votes shy of the magic number, and there are multiple blue states left off of that count. If Texas turns blue Dems are in the catbird seat to win every presidential election.

If the Republican party continues down its socially conservative, anti-immigrant, Reaganomics trend, so help me god, I'm going to make sure that happens. The Katrina diaspora is helping a bit, but a little organizing will go a long way to making it happen.

StoOgE said:
StoOgE's official post of why we need to turn Texas blue in the next 10 years.

The most important post i've read since he clinched.

Here's the totals for Texas:

McCain = 4,467,748
Obama = 3,521,164

By contrast here's the 2004 numbers:

Bush = 4,526,917
Kerry = 2,832,704

Without even campaigning in Texas (i don't recall him doing a single rally their once he became the nominee), Obama gained roughly 700k more votes than Kerry while McCain didn't get a bounce at all.

If the margins for the Hispanic vote goes up & the Dem's can get Texas, the GOP is dead!!!!!!

vitaflo said:
I love the "Why do you hate America?" right wingers on Facebook now saying they're going to move to Canada. Hypocrites.

Why would they want to move somewhere that wanted Obama also?

vitaflo said:
At least when liberals were making those empty threats in 2000 and 2004, it made some kind of sense.

gcubed

vitaflo said:

its not even that, its that what are they trying to escape? Every other country is "worse" then the US could dream of being in the next 4 years. Its pretty funny. Although i guess my facebook is filled with more liberals.

"A is so happy!"
"B is proud to be an American again!"
"C is glad to officially be rid of the idiot"

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Chipopo said:
any good meltdowns you guys could point me towards?
Check the election day topic from the announcement onward. Some mighty sad individuals had to chime in. I wrote em all down for safe keeping.

no i didn't

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Macam said:
I just figured it was bullet-proof glass, but I don't really know offhand.
It was only four sheets on either side though. Didn't seem like they were positioned to take bullets.

Dead

well not really...yet
vitaflo said:
Going to Canada to get away from Obama?

That's not change, that's MORE OF THE SAME

relatively at least.

Dax01 292
Shard 275
Tamanon 265
Marvie_3 253
lawblob 226
RubxQub 201
Hootie 178
StoOgE 175
speculawyer 164