• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 information/news thread

Aeana

Information about the game is finally starting to pour in, and every time an update comes, I'm never quite sure where to post it. Because of that, I've decided that it's probably a good idea to start a news and information thread so that I can keep everything together. Some stuff will be a little sparse for a little bit while I continue getting everything together. I'll also be able to add more screenshots demonstrating certain things that I mention here as soon as the news sites update with the stuff from this week's magazines.

The game is supposed to be playable at Jump Festa next month, so we'll hopefully know even more by then.

Story
Unfortunately, we don't know anything about this yet. I hope that we will once Jump Festa comes around.

Character creation and customization
The big theme of DQ9's info push right now is the fact that the hero is you. To that end, you can create and customize your hero to suit your style. Everything from gender, to hairstyle, to height, right down to facial features can be customized during character creation. Party members can also be either recruited from a list of premade characters, or created just like your hero.

For further customization, all of the equipment across 8 different equipment slots (that's 3 more than past DQ games) is visible on the character. The equipment slots are main hand, shield, head, upper body, lower body, hands, feet, and accessory.

The game also changes the classic DQ stats around a bit. Now, the stats are strength, agility, resilience, dexterity, charm, healing magic, attack magic, max HP, max MP, attack power, defense, and fashion/style. (Mostly) useless stats like intelligence and luck appear to be gone.

syuzin01.jpg
syuzin02.jpg
syuzin04.jpg

01kyara02.jpg
01kyara05.jpg
01kyara03.jpg

Class system
Similar to DQs 3, 6 and 7, DQ9 has a class system. Classes can be chosen at the time of character creation, and then changed by visiting Dharma Temple. So far, this should be familiar to anybody who has played DQ3. DQ9 takes the class system in a direction that's different from DQ3/6/7, though. Now, individual class progression is done through a skill point system, not unlike the one found in Dragon Quest 8. As you level up your class, you gain skill points to spend in various skills just like in DQ8.

The classes revealed so far are warrior, priest, mage, beastmaster, martial artist and thief.
So far, we know that the warrior has the following skills available to put points into: sword, spear, dagger, shield and courage.

They've also mentioned special skills learned by putting points into four of the classes' special skills. Warrior - courage: bodyblow. Priest - faith: saint's blessing. Mage - magic: evil barrier. Martial artist - spirit: psyche up -- works just like the command in DQ8.

c20081028_dq9_03_cs1w1_256x192.jpg

Battle system
The game is turn-based and no longer an action RPG. It appears that enemies appear on the field, meaning that there are no random battles. The battles appear to be standard Dragon Quest fare, with characters visible as in DQ8. The twist this time is that it appears that characters can move around the battlefield, kind of like Grandia or FFX-2 or something along those lines.

07.jpg
09.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

Cooperative play
As far as I know, local wireless co-op is still in the game, but we don't really know how it'll work just yet.

hr.png

c20081121_dqix_05_cs1w1_256x.jpg
c20081121_dqix_07_cs1w1_256x.jpg
c20081121_dqix_11_cs1w1_256x.jpg

c20081121_dqix_12_cs1w1_256x.jpg
c20081121_dqix_14_cs1w1_256x.jpg
c20081121_dqix_15_cs1w1_256x.jpg

hr.png

That's about all we know right now.
If anybody sees anything I haven't added here, let me know and I'll cover it. I've only included stuff we have concrete info about, though, so I've left out Luida/Rikka/Roxanne and the inn options, among other things.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
awesome thread thx aeana, 10/10 thread !!!

*bookmark*

Nice thread idea. It's great to have it all in one thread; especially as I'm not around much, it really works for me.
Aeana said:
The twist this time is that it appears that characters can move around the battlefield, kind of like Grandia or FFX-2 or something along those lines.
Hmmm, and from the trailer it looks like the way the characters position themselves make it seem like the battle commands are played out in real time.
Aeana said:
Now, individual class progression is done through a skill point system, not unlike the one found in Dragon Quest 8. As you level up your class, you gain skill points to spend in various skills just like in DQ8
Ooh interesting. I think in a way this will definitely streamline the job system so there's much less useless skills to accumulate (DQVI/VII), but still different from DQIII as well. I like the sound of this as I thought the skill point system in VIII was great.

I also love the added slots for equipments. Yay :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Awesome, I loved the skill points system in DQVIII so it's nice to see it return.

Everything about this game screams pure sex. Except the fact it is on DS. What a goddamned downer.

/throws a bag over her head.

It especially hurts since everything is so customizable :/

Magicpaint said:
Hmmm, and from the trailer it looks like the way the characters position themselves make it seem like the battle commands are played out in real time.

Better to think of it like character movement in Grandia. Despite the fact the game is entirely turn-based, during their turns, the characters will move around the field on their own.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The class system sounds like it will be fun. This will be my first time playing a Dragon Quest game with a class system, actually.

Definitely one of my most anticipated games right now. :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
The class system sounds like it will be fun. This will be my first time playing a Dragon Quest game with a class system, actually.

Definitely one of my most anticipated games right now. :D

=|

You poor thing

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
The game also changes the classic DQ stats around a bit. Now, the stats are strength, agility, resilience, dexterity, charm, healing magic, attack magic, max HP, max MP, attack power, defense, and fashion/style. (Mostly) useless stats like intelligence and luck appear to be gone.

Needs more British spelling!
DQVIII fanatic here. :p

So hyped for this game. The hype train is made of gold, how could I not be?

Was the game actually ever confirmed as being playable at Jump Festa?

The Jump Festa site just lists the game as being shown, which it also does for Final Fantasy XIII.

duckroll

AndriaSang said:
Was the game actually ever confirmed as being playable at Jump Festa?

The Jump Festa site just lists the game as being shown, which it also does for Final Fantasy XIII.

Yes. I distinctly remember that at least one Jump article said that you'll get to "try it out for the first time" at Jump Festa this year.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
On-screen equipment changes and visible enemies are such a plus to me.

I wish the premade party members would have some story relevance and maybe some charming dialogue of their own, but since you can also create your own party I'm guessing they won't.

Not so sure of what to expect of the co-op component anymore... I have a feeling it won't be as prevalent as initially planned.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm really interested in the class system with points hybrid. I remember some fans being a bit critical of DQ8's system, but I can't really remember exactly why. I think the idea of a DQ3/DQ8 hybrid sounds great. It looks to offer a fair number of choices and variety without going crazy like DQ7. A lot of people like DQ7's variety, but I think I heard there are a lot of redundant skills.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to import...I guess it depends on where it comes out in March!

Volcynika

Fuu said:
On-screen equipment changes and visible enemies are such a plus to me.

I wish the premade party members would have some story relevance and maybe some charming dialogue of their own, but since you can also create your own party I'm guessing they won't.

Not so sure of what to expect of the co-op component anymore... I have a feeling it won't be as prevalent as initially planned.

Something I can relate to. LOVE it when developers do that. Moreso the equipment stuff. Because if I get badass equipment, I want it to show.

duckroll

Things I'm hyped about in DQIX:

- visible equipment change
- huge range of equipment for different classes
- famous equipment sets from previous DQ games
- class system
- skill system + skill points

Things I'm on the fence about so far:

- seems like there's a lack of focus on the story so far
- lots of multiplayer options that are totally useless to me since there's no online play

Hopefully the game has a huge expansive plot filled with memorable characters lik the previous games, and awesome dungeons and bosses.

I really hope they keep in the multiplayer options. Would all players have control of a character in towns and the dungeons or is it just in battles?

I have the feeling this is a feature that's going to end up being cut. Oh well. Hopefully the next Crystal Chronicles game has more substance than Rings of Fate.

Y2Kev

I'm definitely very interested in hearing about the scenario. DQ3's (and, I guess, DQ1 and 2 tying into it) was a really classic adventure story. What are the odds DQ9 ties 7 and 8 together? :D

zoku88

This game feels good.

The only thing Im bummed about is that the other characters (besides the main hero) seem to be not story characters?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
duckroll said:
- lots of multiplayer options that are totally useless to me since there's no online play
Even knowing more people with a DS I dislike it when there are too many items and stuff you can only unlock/get in multiplayer or by trading. It ends up being a hassle most of the time, I hope it won't be the case here.

Y2Kev

I'm interested to see if the recruitment system will be similar to DQ3 or if it will be more like The Last Remnant-- you meet NPCs in the world and have to do quests with them maybe to get them to join?

Aeana

Y2Kev said:
I'm interested to see if the recruitment system will be similar to DQ3 or if it will be more like The Last Remnant-- you meet NPCs in the world and have to do quests with them maybe to get them to join?

It won't be like TLR. It's already covered in this week's V Jump. You can meet premade characters or make your own, exactly like DQ3.

Y2Kev

That's okay. It offers lots of customization. I thought it might be cool if they were a bit more like existing characters in the world, but it's not a sticking point.

I rented DQ Swords since this thread made me excited!

Y2Kev

Fuu said:
Even knowing more people with a DS I dislike it when there are too many items and stuff you can only unlock/get in multiplayer or by trading. It ends up being a hassle most of the time, I hope it won't be the case here.
DS needs Ad Hoc party!

Wilsongt

I wasn't a fan of Dragon Quest until VIII. Then I picked up IV and enjoyed what I played of it.

Bring on Dragon Quest IX! Nom nom nom.

Aeana

platypotamus said:
Wait, it's not ARPG anymore? This is what I get for ignoring the game for so long. When/why did that happen?

It happened 4 months after it was announced, because the fans didn't want the series to change so drastically.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Aeana said:
It happened 4 months after it was announced, because the fans didn't want the series to change so drastically.
I'd like to see their reaction when a Dragon Quest MMO is announced :lol

Kandinsky

OT but i cant find a decent DQ4 wallpaper (1680x1050), i wanted to celebrate my latest acquisition <3

And oh yeah...., nice thread cant wait for this game!

:D

Aeana

speedpop said:
I'd like to see their reaction when a Dragon Quest MMO is announced :lol

As long as it's not called "Dragon Quest 10," I don't think anybody would have a problem with it. The thing is that main series Dragon Quests are something special, and are also the last bastion for the turn-based RPG. Spinoffs can be whatever they want.

duckroll

Do we know anything about quest structure of DQIX yet? Will it be story based where the plot events lead you to the next town/dungeon/whatever like in the previous games, or will you be doing assigned quests given by NPCs in a town, with a quest log like in dungeon crawlers?

Aeana

duckroll said:
Do we know anything about quest structure of DQIX yet? Will it be story based where the plot events lead you to the next town/dungeon/whatever like in the previous games, or will you be doing assigned quests given by NPCs in a town, with a quest log like in dungeon crawlers?

A huge part of what makes a Dragon Quest game a Dragon Quest game is the way the story and scenarios progress... it's always been very unique, but so simple and few developers seem to want to try to copy it, or fail at it if they do. So I'm going to assume (and hope) that it won't be something different.

2DMention

Banned
I have to admit the graphics look kind of ugly to me and are a small buzzkill. I'm too used to the excellent DQ8 graphics on the PS2.

The hybrid class system from 3 and 8 has me quite excited, though! I bet this'll come out around Nov. '09 in the U.S.

The new info is interesting to sat the least. Is there any info on the over world in general? My main enjoyment out of the DQ games is literally spending hours running/sailing/flying everywhere just because I can. Knowing the world that I will do all the above in is always something I take into consideration. Fashion/style stats huh?

vareon

Thanks, Aeana.

I'm very interested in series I have no interest before just because its next iteration is on DS. Call me stupid, but if it's on PSP I will have less chance of buying it since I have no PSP yet.

I should really get into the series. This game should be a great starting point.

Top Bottom