• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop kills 15 year old kid in Greece, Riots in major cities all over the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7770086.stm

Fresh riots erupt in Greek cities

The riots began on Saturday after news of the teenager's death emerged

People protesting against the death of a teenager shot by Greek police have attacked banks and shops in Athens and the northern city of Thessaloniki.

Demonstrators threw firebombs, rocks and other objects at the buildings and at police, who responded with tear gas.

Earlier, Interior Minister Prokopis Pavlopoulos appealed for restraint.

The streets of the capital were already strewn with glass and rubble after a night of rioting sparked by Saturday's shooting, in the Exarchia district.

During the overnight violence, protesters hurled rocks and petrol bombs at the police and damaged dozens of buildings - one four-storey shop near the tourist area of Monastiraki was gutted. At least 70 cars were set on fire.

One shop owner told the BBC that many businesses had been looted.

The unrest, the worst in the country in several years, later spread to Thessaloniki and the southern island of Crete.

Police 'powerless'

The BBC's Malcolm Brabant says there was a lull in the fighting in Athens on Sunday morning, with many youths remaining locked behind the gates of the polytechnic in Exarchia, and rumoured to be preparing petrol bombs for a second wave of violence.

It is everyone's right to demonstrate and to advocate for their rights... But I stress, not by destroying the property of others
Prokopis Pavlopoulos
Greek Interior Minister

In the afternoon, they left the college and joined hundreds of others on a march towards the police headquarters on Alexandras avenue, not far from where 15-year-old Andreas Grigoropoulos was shot dead on Saturday.

The march soon turned violent, with protesters throwing firebombs at riot police after tear gas was fired to disperse them.

Several banks were attacked, while a supermarket and at least one car dealership were set alight, police and witnesses said.

Our correspondent says the police appear powerless.

In Thessaloniki, a march by more than 1,000 people on two police stations also descended into violence when protesters threw firebombs at police and attacked nearby shops and banks.

They also damaged vehicles belonging to Greek TV channels.

Earlier, the country's interior minister called for restraint during the demonstrations on Sunday and expressed sadness over Andreas Grigoropoulos's death.

"It is everyone's right to demonstrate and to advocate for their rights," Mr Pavlopoulos said. "But I stress, not by destroying the property of others, not turning against people who are not to blame for anything."

Both he and Deputy Interior Minister Panagiotis Chinofotis have submitted their resignations, but they were not accepted by Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis.

The two police officers involved in the shooting of the teenager have been suspended, and an inquiry is under way.

Video: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7769715.stm

It's the second day of the riots and today I'm going out to demonstate. I don't give a fuck anymore about this country, the majority of Greeks are complete morons. They elected for the second time these rightwing scum who say stuff like "This is a nigger, he's not human" (I'm not kidding the human shit who said that is our minister of economy and this quote has been captured on video) and give power and excuses to the cops while these uncultured retards do whatever the fuck they want in collaboration with neoNazi groups. The fucking cop shot at the 15 year old because he called him an asshole or something. I think I'm ranting again but I'm fucking pissed off. And btw I'm glad they're burning banks, it's one good thing that came out of this. Racism, corruption, idiocy and nationalism. This is my country.

JayDubya

Banned
fortified_concept said:
I think I'm ranting again but I'm fucking pissed off. And btw I'm glad they're burning banks, it's one good thing that came out of this.

So by going out to demonstrate, do you mean you want to go be a arsonist because that's apparently awesome?

Somehow, in your brain, the logic formulated that the best response to police corruption and brutality is to burn private buildings. I'm just wondering what that is.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
They protest one cop shooting a kid by burning down banks, supermarkets and car dealerships? Sounds more like mob of retards jumping on an excuse to cause some destruction.

JayDubya said:
So by going out to demonstrate, do you mean you want to go be a arsonist because that's apparently awesome?

I really don't need your pathetic libertarian agenda about your precious corporations right now. I said I'll demostrate I didn't say I'll burn banks even though I see nothing wrong with it since in this country they're worse than loan sharks. Now go derail some other thread by whining about abortions or something.

JayDubya

Banned
fortified_concept said:
I really don't need your pathetic libertarian agenda about your precious corporations right now. I said I'll demostrate I didn't say I'll burn banks even though I see nothing wrong with it since in this country they're worse than loan sharks. Now go derail some other thread by whining abortions or something.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Awesome post.

Explain how "precious corporations" had anything to do with a kid getting shot by an allegedly corrupt government official, yeah? Your anger is misdirected, and badly, and now you're derailing things yourself.

demon said:
They protest one cop shooting a kid by burning down banks, supermarkets and car dealerships? Sounds more like mob of retards jumping on an excuse to cause some destruction.

Yes they do. You see this country is so corrupted that only if you burn a few of banks and hurt their interests someone will care. Cops and politicians have got away with a lot worse here

fortified_concept said:
I said I'll demostrate I didn't say I'll burn banks even though I see nothing wrong with it since in this country they're worse than loan sharks.

All I see in the video are kids burning cars and throwing shit at riot cops.
No chanting slogans or signs just people destroying shit in their own city.
Fucking retards, and that's the lot your joining?

diunxx

fortified_concept said:
I really don't need your pathetic libertarian agenda about your precious corporations right now. I said I'll demostrate I didn't say I'll burn banks even though I see nothing wrong with it since in this country they're worse than loan sharks. Now go derail some other thread by whining about abortions or something.

hahaha wtf is wrong with you? we have a lot of violent protests in this country but people never burn down banks and car dealership, those are private properties and by burning them down you are costing a lot of people their job especially in the supermarket, burn down police stations and government buildings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7769710.stm

The unrest began soon after the shooting in the central Exarchia district, a regular scene of clashes between police and leftist groups.

Youths threw petrol bombs, burned cars and smashed shop windows.

Greece's anarchists regard the quarter of Exarchia as their fortress and they frequently lure police into ambushes so they can attack them with rocks and fire bombs, our correspondent says.

Zoltrix

Pfft, looking at that video your riots are nothing compared to what happened in Montreal this past summer in a similar situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ_kgFcFGy8. Ignore the title; the reason was that a cop and his partner were jumped by a group of people after they tried to make an arrest.

Riots are stupid and nothing good comes out of them.

FabCam

fortified_concept said:
Yes they do. You see this country is so corrupted that only if you burn a few of banks and hurt their interests someone will care. Cops and politicians have got away with a lot worse here

So because someone was shot, you think it's OK to burn down buildings? I bet you don't even know why the kid was shot. Do you really think a cop would shoot a kid for calling him a name? If he did, then he needs to be arrested and sentenced but I seriously doubt it was just because he was called an "asshole". And why do you think it's OK to vandalise and burn buildings? How does that help anyone? If anything, you're just putting more innocent people's lives at risk.

JayDubya said:
Explain how "precious corporations" had anything to do with a kid getting shot by an allegedly corrupt government official, yeah?

I said I'm ranting because I'm pissed off. I also talked about neonazi groups, racist politicians and rightwingers who support cop violence but obviously the only part of my huge post that bothered you (article and ranting) was about the banks. Not about the 15 year old that was murdered or the riots but about the banks. Just get out of here.

loosus

Banned
If you are going to riot, at least DO IT RIGHT. Geez. This just sounds like a bunch of misguided dumbasses who need a place to vent. And where better to vent than your local bank, right? What a fucked up place.

itxaka

Defeatist
zoku88 said:
Violent riots usually reflect poorly on the populace and the country as a whole...

Be more peaceful.

Violent riots on a country also mean that there is something wrong in there.

Be it because the government, the police, culture, racism, poverty, etc.. is not normal to have riots. They are always because the population it's at their limit and explode into a wave of violence because they have been oppressed to a point that we won't understand until we live a situation like that.

It's like what happened in France, people had to get a lot of shit, even from their government until they exploded.

Pakkidis

I honestly believe that 90% of people rioting are simply looking for an excuse to cause trouble rather than to make a political statement.

JayDubya

Banned
fortified_concept said:
I said I'm ranting because I'm pissed off. I also talked about neonazi groups, racist politicians and rightwingers who support cop violence but obviously the only part of my huge post that bothered you (article and ranting) was about the banks. Not about the 15 year old that was murdered or the riots but about the banks. Just get out of here.

I'm not talking to a neonazi, a racist, and certainly not a rightwinger, I'm talking to someone who said he wants to go out and protest and that burning banks is somehow a good thing as a response to the actions of a single policeman.

I'm sure most of us haven't heard the story and certainly didn't witness the event live; if he did shoot an innocent without justification, sure that's murder, and lock his ass up.

If he objectively did murder and won't be punished for it because the government is corrupt, by all means protest and possibly change said government, but nonviolence is preferable, and don't misdirect at third parties that had nothing to do with the incident.

However, the thing that stuck in my craw was your illogical statement, because I can only respond to you; you were advocating / defending violent protest that targets third parties.

zoku88

itxaka said:
Violent riots on a country also mean that there is something wrong in there.

Be it because the government, the police, culture, racism, poverty, etc.. is not normal to have riots. They are always because the population it's at their limit and explode into a wave of violence because they have been oppressed to a point that we won't understand until we live a situation like that.

It's like what happened in France, people had to get a lot of shit, even from their government until they exploded.
Maybe, but it depends on who is doing the rioting. But if you read the article, the shooting seems to be the fault of the anarchists in the district. So perhaps, the ppl rioting now are merely just looking to be violent.

FabCam said:
So because someone was shot, you think it's OK to burn down buildings? I bet you don't even know why the kid was shot. Do you really think a cop would shoot a kid for calling him a name? If he did, then he needs to be arrested and sentenced but I seriously doubt it was just because he was called an "asshole". And why do you think it's OK to vandalise and burn buildings? How does that help anyone? If anything, you're just putting more innocent people's lives at risk.

Exarhia is a place where leftists rule. So low self esteem cops like that piece of shit try to act macho to kids and foreigners there to convince themselves that they accompliced something. It's not the first time cops provoke in that area with the help and protection of the goverment. That's why leftist groups and anarchists are so pissed off.

Sapiens

fortified_concept said:

Lol, he's no libertarian. Just a spoiled westerner like me.

I'm with you, BTW.

Riots like these demonstrate how far you can abuse power before things fall apart.

zoku88

Dude...

Police issued a statement after the shooting, saying a patrol car with two officers inside was attacked by about 30 youths throwing stones.

They were attacked again and responded, with one firing a stun grenade and the other shooting and fatally wounding the boy, AP quoted the statement as saying.

I can't believe people are rioting over this...

FabCam

fortified_concept said:
Exarhia is a place where leftists rule. So low self esteem cops like that piece of shit try to act macho to kids and foreigners there to convince themselves that they accompliced something. It's not the first time cops provoke in that area with the help and protection of the goverment. That's why leftist groups and anarchists are so pissed off.

OK, fair enough. If he really did shoot that kid for no reason he needs to be locked up. But do you really think that rioting solves anything?

EDIT: just seen that police statement. If that's what happened, then that kid deserved to be shot. Disrespecting police like that is deplorable.

itxaka

Defeatist
zoku88 said:
Maybe, but it depends on who is doing the rioting. But if you read the article, the shooting seems to be the fault of the anarchists in the district. So perhaps, the ppl rioting now are merely just looking to be violent.

Well, I been reading since this morning and there is the usual misinformation around. Some sources say that the police were being attacked with rocks, others says with molotovs, other sources (including a taxi driver) said that the policeman shoot him in cold blood, etc.. so I'm reserving my judgement until the information is more reliable.

That doesn't mean that it should be a problem in the country. You don't get riots on the streets by a lot of citizens like that.

nitewulf

was this a race issue, was the boy of a minority ethnic origin? shooting someone for being called some names is pretty militant, no doubt. but i mean, whats the underlying issue here, economic conditions, racial?

zoku88

itxaka said:
Well, I been reading since this morning and there is the usual misinformation around. Some sources say that the police were being attacked with rocks, others says with molotovs, other sources (including a taxi driver) said that the policeman shoot him in cold blood, etc.. so I'm reserving my judgement until the information is more reliable.

That doesn't mean that it should be a problem in the country. You don't get riots on the streets by a lot of citizens like that.
IDK, it's not like the ppl rioting are representative of the entire population.

It seems to be just youths. And youths can be pretty dumb and emotional.

I don't think there is any excuse for rioting. Especially when you hurt ppl who have no involvement.
fortified_concept said:
And you believed it? There are witnesses that say otherwise. This is exactly how the goverment covers for these murderers.
Do you necessarily believe the witnesses? The witnesses that belong to that district? The same kind of ppl who would have a bone to pick against the police?

zoku88 said:
Do you necessarily believe the witnesses? The witnesses that belong to that district? The same kind of ppl who would have a bone to pick against the police?

I trust any witness more than the fucking cops in this country. There is torture of citizens and immigrants in police stations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-msZRYS52o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHzvsbPiNCs

cops hitting and kicking students while they're down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5ZFqW7noo

and reports all over the country about police violence that get ignored by the fucking goverment.

Slo

:lol :lol :lol

You're pissed off so you burn down buildings and stores in your own neighborhood? How stupid are you? Why not just burn your own house down while you're at it?

Zilch

Banned
This thread puts fortified_concept's post history into context very nicely.

edit: I'm just glad to know you're not american.

Slo said:
:lol :lol :lol

You're pissed off so you burn down buildings and stores in your own neighborhood? How stupid are you? Why not just burn your own house down while you're at it?

Yes that's what I said, you're a genius.

zoku88

fortified_concept said:
I trust any witness more than the fucking cops in this country. There is torture of citizens and immigrants in police stations:
And then you have youths who supposedly throw rocks (well, they are now at least if they really weren't before,) and seem to have quickly built up an arsenal of firebombs which they supposedly didn't have yesterday :-/

I can see how you find the words of the youths trustworthy in this case :-|

itxaka

Defeatist
zoku88 said:
IDK, it's not like the ppl rioting are representative of the entire population.

It seems to be just youths. And youths can be pretty dumb and emotional.

I don't think there is any excuse for rioting. Especially when you hurt ppl who have no involvement.

I don't know. As I said, I reserve my judgement for when everything is more reliable, but greece is pretty well know for having a lot of full-strikes ( I thinks that is the correct term) over the last 2/3 years. That has to mean something, and if you connect it with this...well there is something wrong.

Butthere is probably a high percentage of people that are just, well, letting themselves out and.."expressing" their violence :/

Slo

fortified_concept said:
Yes that's what I said, you're a genius.

I wasn't talking to you, I was aiming that at the brilliant rioters that you're tirelessly endorsing.

As a Greek-American born here in the US I can honestly say I am not surprised by their actions. There is an incredible amount of corruption in Greece. I am talking tax-evasion, money laundering, and black mailing to a degree I did not think possible.

Truly sad.

That whole situation sucks. Ugh.

Zilch said:
This thread puts fortified_concept's post history into context very nicely.

edit: I'm just glad to know you're not american.

Yeah, but then he's just someone else's facepalm-fueler, you know?

Darklord

Banned
Yeah, destroying innocent peoples property and trying to kill police to protest against violence. Awesome idea!

zoku88 said:
And then you have youths who supposedly throw rocks (well, they are now at least if they really weren't before,) and seem to have quickly built up an arsenal of firebombs which they supposedly didn't have yesterday :-/

I can see how you find the words of the youths trustworthy in this case :-|

According to the cops their car was attacked by 30 people so the two cops stopped the car got out of it without warning their police station and confronted the 30 people. The cop shot warning shots and when the 30 people didn't back down (because we all know when you shoot to unarmed crowds noone backs down) he shot at the pavement but the bullet hit the teen. Do you honestly believe this shit? :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
Kabuki Waq said:
well if the racist dude was voted in then I guess the MAjority of your country agreed with his racist views

You can understand that maybe, just maybe, the actions of the Prime Minister once he is elected can have no correlation with what he promised or can change over the time and do complete disasters that nobody wanted in the first place like....Bush with the war? You cannot say that the majority of the US agreed with Bush views on the war and the "axis of evil" do you?

Just an example, because I don't want to summon the Godwin's law :)

LuCkymoON

Banned
JayDubya said:

Somehow, in your brain, the logic formulated that the best response to police corruption and brutality is to burn private buildings. I'm just wondering what that is.
burning down private buildings that support the political establishment.

itxaka said:
You can understand that maybe, just maybe, the actions of the Prime Minister once he is elected can have no correlation with what he promised or can change over the time and do complete disasters that nobody wanted in the first place like....Bush with the war? You cannot say that the majority of the US agreed with Bush views on the war and the "axis of evil" do you?

Just an example, because I don't want to summon the Godwin's law :)

ah i thought dropped the Nbombs before he got elected.

zoku88

fortified_concept said:
According to the cops their car was attacked by 30 people so the two cops stopped the car got out of it without warning their police station and confronted the 30 people. The cop shot warning shots and when the 30 people didn't back down (because we all know when you shoot to unarmed crowds noone backs down) he shot at the pavement but the bullet hit the teen. Do you honestly believe this shit? :lol
All of that was pretty believable except for the last part. But then, the very first part is really the only one that matters.

That makes it similar to the Boston 'Massacre' in the American colonies, where blame should really fall on the colonists, who were also throwing rocks at the British soldiers.

Anyway, these riots are dumb. It seems like there was a recent case of youths turning to violent protests, too....

You guys should learn how to properly correct things.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
You guys could use some organization, just randomly destroying shit isn't gonna help anyone.

It will look cool on the 5 o clock news though.

Slo

itxaka said:
Bush with the war? You cannot say that the majority of the US agreed with Bush views on the war and the "axis of evil" do you?

As a person who lives in a rural community
in a blue state thankfully
, you'd be surprised. Just the other day I saw a Palin bumper sticker that read "Palin: Babies. Guns. Jesus." :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom