• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Expects They Doubled Playstation Sales in November

SPEA

With a casual-friendly interface, a low-priced console and a bevy of games, Microsoft believes that their Xbox 360 may have more than doubled Playstation sales last month, Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Xbox 360 said today.

And we won't' have long to wait to see if they are right, official NPD numbers are expected tomorrow.

"The PS3 is a third player, they are at risk of reaching a single digit market share," Greenberg added. "They are a premium priced product in a tough economic time. They have a tough position to try and sell a product.

"The window of time when they were the cheapest Blu-ray player, those days have passed now."

Greenberg says that the key to success in a three console market is to differentiate your console, something he believes Microsoft has managed to do while Sony hasn't.

"The type of experience we are delivering is very different than the Wii," he said. Microsoft and Nintendo "are both doing really well delivering our different experiences. I think the problem that the PS3 is running into is that they are trying to deliver the same experience (as the Xbox 360) at twice the price."

Greenberg believes Sony is floundering, and places the blame for that squarely on the shoulders of Blu-ray.

Sony "has made a very expensive product built on the promise of Blu-ray," he said. "That hasn't worked out for them. Blu-ray is clearly not the next DVD."

And while Greenberg acknowledges the Wii's successes, he doesn't seem Nintendo's console as a threat to the Xbox 360.

"We see a lot of data that households are buying the wii60," he said. "But at the end of the day Xbox is where they spend the bulk of time. They want entertainment, Netflix, movies, games."

"We think those consumers (Wii owners) will want to upgrade."
http://kotaku.com/5106918/microsoft-expects-they-doubled-playstation-sales-in-november

Sorry if old.

a1m

Banned
Why we can't just be friends guys? Xbox 360 is a nice console with lots of awesome games but so is the PS3.

: |

Nothing he said is too outrageous. Its a given that the PS3 isn't going to match the 360 in NA. This holiday is only going to support that.

The Wii owners are the same type of people that pushed the PS2 to insane sales figures. And those owners are generally not the type of owners to care about "upgrading".

Vast Inspiration said:
And those owners are generally not the type of owners to care about "upgrading".

There is a bit of a problem with the use of "upgrade." I would guess that many consumers consider the purchase of the Wii as an upgrade. They have already upgraded and probably won't do so again for several years.

WarLox

SPEA said:
"The PS3 is a third player, they are at risk of reaching a single digit market share," Greenberg added. http://kotaku.com/5106918/microsoft-expects-they-doubled-playstation-sales-in-november

Sorry if old.

j0lgtx.gif

So, anyone want to venture a guess as to the actual sales now that MS is just giving away such blatant hints?

400k to 800k?

450k to 900k?

500k to 1million?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sony Defence Force arrives in 3... 2... 1...

PR talk is always best when they are willing to ruffle a few feathers. It's more fun.

Double they say?

I don't think anyone should get too offended by anything said here. I think in the years to come blu-ray will more or less replace DVD (but not for a few years) and it's very unlikely that the PS3 will end up with a single digit market share- but it all makes for good smack talk.

soco

cjelly said:
Why do they have to spout such utter shit about the Wii every single time.

they secretly get ad money from various forums and newssites, where the people eat this shit up.

Without blackfriday they would have been close. But hell, Microsoft would have still bragged with big ass numbers from somewhere!

Link

The Autumn Wind
cjelly said:
Why do they have to spout such utter shit about the Wii every single time.
They need to discount the Wii as a disclaimer before they can say that they're leading the industry.

"The PS3 is a third player, they are at risk of reaching a single digit market share," Greenberg added.

Unless Microsoft is counting last gen consoles and handhelds, I don't think there is any chance that the PS3 will have a single digit market share. If the Wii gets twice the market as the 360, and the 360 gets twice the market as the PS3, the PS3 would still have 1/7th of the market. Even if the Wii captures two thirds of the market and the 360 captures two thirds of the remainder, the PS3 would still have 1/9th of the market. If the 360 doubles the PS3 like Microsoft is suggesting, then that would mean that the Wii would have to take over 70% of the market in order for the PS3 to fall into single digit market share.

Teriyaki said:
Is this even remotely true? I have no idea what the sales numbers are for Blu-Ray discs/players.

No where near DVD sales. and they won't be until BD players are in the sub $100 range, and the discs are 20 dollars a pop instead of 25 to 30.

EDIT: and HDTVs drop to a moderate range. They're are getting closer.

Looking at the worldwide numbers, it doesn't seem very many Wii owners are upgrading to the 360. It does seem that many 360 owners, however, are buying Wiis. :D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
PS3 Price cut incoming.... 3... 2... 1...

make it happen Sony. consumers FTW.

freddy

Banned
Wow Microsoft just can't find anything better to do than ride Sonys' nuts lately.

How are those casual titles you were talking up last year doing? Oh I see you're hoping to cut in on the Wiis' lunch as well.

Teriyaki said:
Is this even remotely true? I have no idea what the sales numbers are for Blu-Ray discs/players.

I think Netflix said recently the amount of blu-ray request have overwhelmed them. I've experienced long wait times for blu-rays from them.

At the store this past weekend in my area, I saw a lot of HDTV's being bought and customers looking at/purchasing blu-ray players. It's possibly just my area, but I would think the interest in blu-ray is increasing each month.

This guy really wants to lower Sony in every possible way, when i'm sure he's has a blu-ray player sitting at his house as he's saying all this :D

duk

Banned
freddy said:
Wow Microsoft just can't find anything better to do than ride Sonys' nuts lately.

How are those casual titles you were talking up last year doing? Oh I see you're hoping to cut in on the Wiis' lunch as well.

you don't think it's nice payback after what sony has said about the 360 this gen? lol

it's all very comedy

tHoMNZ

freddy said:

I don't see wii's lead being cut by anyone.. i mean shit.. its small/white/its called wii! the nongamers can't get enough, and it makes me sick.

duk said:
you don't think it's nice payback after what sony has said about the 360 this gen? lol

it's all very comedy

It's almost like a hip-hop rivalry. Behind closed doors they agreed to beef like this thinking it will create more interest in the products.

itxaka

Defeatist
Is the title paraphrased correctly? I don't know why but it sounds weird.

Anyway, nice to see that things are coming back to normal with companies trolling each other. You gotta love the PR.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
tHoMNZ said:
I don't see wii's lead being cut by anyone.. i mean shit.. its small/white/its called wii! the nongamers can't get enough, and it makes me sick.

It won't be.
And the battle for "second place" is like a giant slapfight between two school children.

Guled

"The PS3 is a third player, they are at risk of reaching a single digit market share," Greenberg added. "They are a premium priced product in a tough economic time. They have a tough position to try and sell a product.
so if ps3 is less then 10 then 360 is doubled so it be less then 20%, so dose that mean the wii/ds will have close to 70% market share, wow

freddy said:

images1.jpg

How the fuck did I manage to get fired twice in the same day?

Top Bottom