• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Wario Land Shake It Thread of 2D Goodness! (Formerly LTTP)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, I got a bunch of sweet games for Christmas... Got some Okami, Gears 2, and some other stuff I specifically asked for. Then, I opened my present from my brother and see Wario Land Shake It. Now, I LOVED the original Wario Land. (Super Mario Land 3.) Damn, that game was too good. But since then, I never really played a Wario Land game. So when I saw it, I was pretty stoked. (And my brother's a gamer, but not to the degree that I am. So I was pretty impressed when he did his own detective work and looked up game reviews and decided it would be good for me. On a separate note, I got him RE4 Wii and No More Heroes thanks to GAF.)

Anyway, I just tried it out for the first time today, and holy shit. This game rules. I'm LOVING the art style so far, and the level design is cool, too. But what I'm digging the most are the controls. Not that shaking stuff; that's just there. I'm talking about making Wario move. The dash jump feels so nice, you can cancel just about every jump/move, and it flows so well. It's so much different than the clunky controls from the old game. Of course, I do wish Wario changed up his hats for different abilities. (I don't know if anything like that happens, I've only beaten the first area.)

An understandable gripe I have is how it's constantly in 4:3. Haven't we moved past that yet? I mean, I guess I can understand, since it's a sidescroller with window edges, but still...

To anyone who hasn't picked this up yet, you really, really should. It's super awesome.

hemtae

This game is indeed very awesome although if your only aim is to complete the game, you will find it very easy. The real difficulty comes with completing all the missions and finding all the treasure.

AniHawk

hemtae said:
The real difficulty comes with completing all the missions and finding all the treasure.

That's true. I was just trying to get through it, just so I wouldn't get sucked into Persona 4 about a week ago, and the game was more than just easy, it was boring.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It does seem crazy easy, but dude, sometimes that's just what I need. But all the achievements will probably have me playing this for a WHILE.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Playing through it right now.. into the third world. It's taken me a while, since I'm collecting every treasure, and completing every challenge before moving onto the next level. Probably my favorite Wii title released since April.

Swordian

Unfortunately, you have to beat the game in order to unlock the fun levels that actually have some challenging platforming.

I thought it interesting that by the time I was supposed to unlock the 3rd world, I had enough for the 4th world, so I just skipped ahead to that.

On a rental, and I didn't play it that much. I started to get annoyed when a lot of the puzzles weren't retryable without restarting the whole level, especially those that required enemies to do. (Pretty shocked there wasn't Klonoa-style respawning. It was way too easy to kill one off and be screwed.)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Had lots of fun when I've played it some time ago. Those who don't replay stages aiming to get everything in then + unlocking the secret ones are playing it wrong. The game is sort of boring if you don't do that, but if you go for 100% it gets pretty entertaining. Also, I digged some of the music and it looks so good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
DMeisterJ said:
Isn't this a little early to be LTTP?

IIRC this shipped like a few months ago. :p

Looks like you arrived on time :D
Sadly, this one didn't even get an official thread he could bump. We used the IGN review thread or something to talk about our impressions while we played the game.

hemtae said:
Japan, I think it was at around 90k last time I saw it in media create, bombed horribly in america.

"Bomb" is a little too strong of a word. What were the expectations for the game for the American market? I don't remember Nintendo pushing this game too much.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I rented it. Honestly, it's just worth a rental to me. Not worth spending 30+ bucks for it. I enjoyed it, despite the game being extremely easy.

AniHawk

nincompoop said:
Great game, one of the best released this year. Too bad nobody seems to care about 2D games anymore.

LittleBigPlanet's sold quite a bit and New Super Mario Bros. is the best selling nonbundled game since Super Mario Bros. 3.

kinosama

Neo Member
By far the most overlooked game of the year for me. Nobody ever mentions its existence, usually because everyone's too busy complaining Nintendo only makes casual games and is killing the industry.

There's also the false assumption, even from so called hardcore gamers that 2D games should be kept downloadables nowadays. When did we sink this low?

Shake It was the best platformer of 2008. We're talking the best among a strong class of platformers.

Going through the game, trying to clear as many objectives as possible in a single run, is a blast. This is Wario Land, you're supposed to explore and savor each stage - and thankfully, the level design in Shake It suits that beautifully. It might be easy to run through, but if your goal is to merely bounce from point A to point B, you're missing the meat of the game. The controls are spot on, the stages are fun, and the visual style is out of this world.

AniHawk

tetrisgrammaton said:
edit: to:anihawk

me thinks them be 2.5D

Okay. Then Yoshi's Island DS sold 3 million copies, Braid was a sleeper hit, and the last three Kirby games were million sellers.

Very under appreciated gem that was a perfect rental. I can't believe all these people on GAF who are lamenting the death of the platformer skipped over it.

AniHawk

funkmastergeneral said:
Very under appreciated gem that was a perfect rental. I can't believe all these people on GAF who are lamenting the death of the platformer skipped over it.

This year was actually really good for platformers. LostWinds, N+, Wario Land, LittleBigPlanet, Mirror's Edge, Braid, Kirby Super Star Ultra and Mega Man 9 (though I consider that more of an action game than a platformer). Even Sonic Unleashed supposedly pleased some people. This was probably the single best year for new platformers since the N64/PSX/Saturn generation.

AniHawk said:
This year was actually really good for platformers. LostWinds, N+, Wario Land, LittleBigPlanet, Mirror's Edge, Braid, Kirby Super Star Ultra and Mega Man 9 (though I consider that more of an action game than a platformer). Even Sonic Unleashed supposedly pleased some people. This was probably the single best year for new platformers since the N64/PSX/Saturn generation.
Nah, 2003 wins solely on the strength of Jak 2

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Okay. Then Yoshi's Island DS sold 3 million copies, Braid was a sleeper hit, and the last three Kirby games were million sellers.

How much did Braid sell?

hemtae

Flying_Phoenix said:
"Bomb" is a little too strong of a word. What were the expectations for the game for the American market? I don't remember Nintendo pushing this game too much.

I don't know how much other people were expecting it to sell in the US, but I was expecting something similar to how it did in Japan but iirc it only sold 20k in September and not much more than that in October.

Tenks said:
Wasn't this released only like 3 months ago? I think the party is still going on...

Without an official thread, there was barely a party going on when it released.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only flaw with the game is that beating the "achievements" doesn't unlock anything such as a harder final boss - the sound test unlockable is kind of lame. The way it incorporates its meta goals is progressive for a Nintendo game, but having them on a console with no unified gamercard or way to show off said accomplishments neuters the experience a bit.

-Rogue5-

It's $29 at Rogers (Canada)... and I was really contemplating it, but I ended up buying a brand new copy of DragonQuest VIII for $10 (is that good or bad? I don't know anything about the DQ games).

hemtae

-Rogue5- said:
It's $29 at Rogers (Canada)... and I was really contemplating it, but I ended up buying a brand new copy of DragonQuest VIII for $10 (is that good or bad? I don't know anything about the DQ games).

If you like traditional turn-based JRPGs, then you'll like DQ games.

leroidys

Fuu said:
Had lots of fun when I've played it some time ago. Those who don't replay stages aiming to get everything in then + unlocking the secret ones are playing it wrong. The game is sort of boring if you don't do that, but if you go for 100% it gets pretty entertaining. Also, I digged some of the music and it looks so good.

QFT. Game went from being boring as hell to really awesome when I finally started going for 100%.

kinosama said:
By far the most overlooked game of the year for me. Nobody ever mentions its existence, usually because everyone's too busy complaining Nintendo only makes casual games and is killing the industry.

There's also the false assumption, even from so called hardcore gamers that 2D games should be kept downloadables nowadays. When did we sink this low?

Possibly if 2D games would stop following the same gameplay formulas that are over a decade old then more people will turn their heads. Every time some that oppose this they either get ignored or complained about.

I actually view this game as the poster child of this generation of the former.

hemtae said:
I don't know how much other people were expecting it to sell in the US, but I was expecting something similar to how it did in Japan but iirc it only sold 20k in September and not much more than that in October.

Without an official thread, there was barely a party going on when it released.
Didn't the game do similar in Japan in its early weeks? The game sold by legs.

Dacvak

Toy Soldier said:
Shake It was the best platformer of 2008. We're talking the best among a strong class of platformers.

Going through the game, trying to clear as many objectives as possible in a single run, is a blast. This is Wario Land, you're supposed to explore and savor each stage - and thankfully, the level design in Shake It suits that beautifully. It might be easy to run through, but if your goal is to merely bounce from point A to point B, you're missing the meat of the game. The controls are spot on, the stages are fun, and the visual style is out of this world.

Yes.

Top Bottom