• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Prinny PSP Thread -- Dood! Can I Really Die a Thousand Times?

Volcynika

33wmce9.png

-Basic Info-

Instead of the usual strategy RPG fare, players take control of a memorable penguin-like character from the Disgaea series, Prinny! Always working to serve a master, Prinny must get back the Ultimate Dessert for the Demon Lord Etna. This game is hard. So hard, you get 1000 lives to beat it.

-Features-

(from Play-Asia)

* 1000 Units: Players will get 1000 lives to beat the toughest action sidescroller!

* Lift & Throw: Prinnies are able to lift and throw objects on the battlefield.

* Vehicles: Steal and control powerful vehicles, like tanks and UFOs.

* Hip Pound: Jump and pound enemies to stun them. Then you can inflict multiple combo attacks for extra damage.

* 3D World with 2D Characters: In Prinny, character art is created using fluid 2D sprites, giving it a classic look with a comical tone. Battlefields and backgrounds, however, are created with 3D models. This allows for a smooth and unique combat action where certain attacks are rendered in a 3-dimensional view.

* Prinny will make use of the PSP's wireless functionality to record play and download maps and other bonuses.

Website: http://prinnies.com/ & http://www.prinnies.com/blog/

-Prinny Adventure- (To be updated when NISA releases new videos)
Day 1
Day 2

Genre: Ultimate Hardcore Action

Rating: T for Teen

Release Dates:

Japan: November 20th, 2008
North America: February 17th, 2009
Europe: Not Announced Yet

Box Art

10dsjr7.jpg

-Images-

2072ges.jpg
ip8dcg.jpg

2hem5iq.jpg
sqs8l1.jpg

b5pdfq.jpg
21nhc7k.jpg

-Videos-
Six videos available on IGN

-Reviews-
IGN: 8.3/10
GameZone: 8.2/10
GamersPlatform: 8.5/10
GamingEvolution: 8.0/10

Kind of a minimalist thread, but this is a game of Feb that I'll be playing on my brother's PSP as soon as possible!

Beautiful side-scroller that's rated Teen? I'm in. Though I hope the voice acting is not as annoying as shown in the trailer.

* aka. Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
* 1000 Units: Players will get 1000 lives to beat the toughest action sidescroller!
* Lift & Throw: Prinnies are able to lift and throw objects on the battlefield.
* Vehicles: Steal and control powerful vehicles, like tanks and UFOs.
* Hip Pound: Jump and pound enemies to stun them. Then you can inflict multiple combo attacks for extra damage.
* 3D World with 2D Characters: In Prinny, character art is created using fluid 2D sprites, giving it a classic look with a comical tone. Battlefields and backgrounds, however, are created with 3D models. This allows for a smooth and unique combat action where certain attacks are rendered in a 3-dimensional view.
* Prinny will make use of the PSP's wireless functionality to record play and download maps and other bonuses.

source: play-asia.com

bryehn said:
50 bucks Canadian, yo!

Mine should be here by next Friday.

I am just too used to the prices we were paying before the current shift in our dollar, for me 50$ is just too much for a handheld game. It's why I used to pass on buying so many PSP games when the system first came out and that's why I'll pass on this until it's cheaper. I have no fear of being able to find this later, NISA isn't exactly like Atlus in terms of the print runs.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mejilan said:
I'm buying it, but I can't say that I'm all that excited about it. *shrugs*

Exactly how much disposable income do you have that you can purchase just about every release on PSP and DS? :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Can't say I'm as excited as I was when it was announced. Still getting it though!

Adam Prime said:
Exactly how much disposable income do you have that you can purchase just about every release on PSP and DS? :lol
Mejilan has a history with Disgaea related releases.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah he also has a history of showing up in every PSP/DS game thread posting "I'm getting this, but I have a huge backlog". :lol

Ranger X

This really makes the game sound douche bag hard.

Can't I have nice games and NOT being some retardedly hardcore player wishing for bleeding hard games and playing 40 hours a day? WTF?

This thread really makes the game sound like an occasion to save my money.

Adam Prime said:
Yeah he also has a history of showing up in every PSP/DS game thread posting "I'm getting this, but I have a huge backlog". :lol

i was wondering the same....

anyway, ill wait for possible bug-reports before buying this time.

AniHawk

Guled said:
my bad, I meant 1000

Game Over

But you also get the Prinny Bomb, which allows you to spin around, "invincible," while prinnies drop from the sky and blow up all enemies on screen. Works during boss fights too. It does waste lives when you do it, so you might plan on saving it just for boss fights. So I actually recommend that you do die 1000 times.

Chorazin

Just got my copy in the mail from RosenQueen.com, the PA comic is pretty hilarious. I like how the CD OST is Japanese style, with no tray and the image side of the CD facing down.

I also got the bundle with the Red Scarf Prinny plush, which rocks, and the PSP sleeve which is really nice.

I just wish I was home and not at work so I could play it!

Tailzo

I must say I kinda agree about the pricepoint issue. I downloaded the demo, and I thought it was fun. But fun enough for the price? I don't know. It's like I want to support the game... But I first bought Disgaea 1 (on psp) and the disgaea 3 (on ps3), I liked them both, but I would rather have a rpg or strategy rpg. Atleast for such a price.

I feel bad for thinking this though.

Maybe I'm just rusty with side-scrollers, but thi sgame is hard. I'm still trying to get used to the jumping thing and the butt-stomp.

Chorazin

nakedsushi said:
Maybe I'm just rusty with side-scrollers, but thi sgame is hard. I'm still trying to get used to the jumping thing and the butt-stomp.

I doubt it's just you, everything I've read talks about how hard it is.

Chorazin said:
Just got my copy in the mail from RosenQueen.com, the PA comic is pretty hilarious. I like how the CD OST is Japanese style, with no tray and the image side of the CD facing down.

I also got the bundle with the Red Scarf Prinny plush, which rocks, and the PSP sleeve which is really nice.

I just wish I was home and not at work so I could play it!

How big is the box and the comic?

Tailzo said:
I must say I kinda agree about the pricepoint issue. I downloaded the demo, and I thought it was fun. But fun enough for the price? I don't know. It's like I want to support the game... But I first bought Disgaea 1 (on psp) and the disgaea 3 (on ps3), I liked them both, but I would rather have a rpg or strategy rpg. Atleast for such a price.

I feel bad for thinking this though.

Don't feel bad. As much as I want to support this game, I'm probably gonna wait till it goes on sale (crosses fingers) or my backlog is clear enough in a couple of months to get it. For some reason I really have a problem with paying $40 for a portable game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I just tried the demo and I love it! It's a very fun actiony-platform game. I'm quite happy with the fact that it actually runs at 60 fps as well (as any side scroller should). The game does seem pretty tough, but that's not a bad thing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm looking forward to this game, but not $50 forward to it (Canada). Most PSP games lose at least 50% of their value in the first few months, so I'll just jump in a little late. I feel bad because I'd love to support it, but I was iffy at $40. $50, not a chance.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm still debating whether I should purchase this or hold out for PS:portable.

... $40 is a bit steep. But I hear there's a lot of gameplay content here. Anyone know about how long this game is?

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
OK, I just tried the demo and I love it! It's a very fun actiony-platform game. I'm quite happy with the fact that it actually runs at 60 fps as well (as any side scroller should). The game does seem pretty tough, but that's not a bad thing.

It's a great looking and running game. I think UGnG beats it graphically because of the artwork, but that was 30fps IIRC so this "feels" better on the eyes.

I'd actually like to see a sequel on PSN as one of the Disgaea 3 addons has the game running on a PS3 at 720p and it looks pretty good still.

DSC00815.jpg

The manga was published by broccoli books and should be the same size as similar publications from them. I did not get that version so there is no picture.

Interesting note, the voices are English only. Thankfully the prinnies are hilarious in english.

Beat stage 1. B rank on my 1st try. There seems to be some kind of 10 "hour" time limit similar to Megaman X 5. Torn letter pieces are fun to get. You'll see when you play.

The pouch is nice, it has leather edges and smells like a new wallet. Very snug fit for a 2000. Probably zero chance of fitting a 1000.

Oh, and:

DSC00819.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No luck finding this today. I did walk out with 3 game purchases and 2 preorder bonuses, and less ~$150 in my wallet, so I guess I'm not exactly crushed.

Tomorrow, I suppose?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
DAMN that Prinny package is fucking sweet.

I went ahead and bought it tonight, just beat the first level. Game is super kick ass. Loving it!

Bebpo

Banned
It's worth noting that the demo doesn't represent the game difficulty at all. After the demo & stage 1 I couldn't really understand the point of the game because it was so easy and simple...then the actual game showed up. The fun is in the challenge and that really doesn't start until about stage 2 or 3.

Yes Boss!

Mejilan said:
No luck finding this today. I did walk out with 3 game purchases and 2 preorder bonuses, and less ~$150 in my wallet, so I guess I'm not exactly crushed.

Tomorrow, I suppose?

Tomorrow Mejilan.

Sucks too since I got a bunch of other games today but it was the Prinny that I really wanted for tonight (SFIV be damned!).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Quick question: anyone actually know about how long the game's length is and if there are any unlockables after you finish the game, or just general replay value? I know you get 10 hours to "finish" the game, so I assume the game is going to be shorter than that huh?

Top Bottom