• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo Wars Thread

I won't have a lot of spare time in the next week, so here it is now. Enjoy!
v5hhdc.jpg

96xi5h.jpg

Release Dates | February 26th for Asia and Australia, February 27th for Europe, and March 3rd for the Americas
Platform | Xbox 360
Genre | Real-Time Strategy (RTS)
Developer | Ensemble Studios
Publisher | Microsoft Game Studios
Official Website | HaloWars.com
Game Manual | Download it here
Halo Wars Demo | Download it here

oan240.jpg

Regular Edition
al6yv7.jpg

Includes:
  • Halo Wars (Game)
  • Game Manual

Limited Edition
elbk2x.jpg

Includes
  • Halo Wars (Game)
  • Game Manual
  • Steelbook DVD case
  • Halo Wars: Genesis, a graphic novel by Phil Noto, Graeme Devine, and Eric Nylund
  • Spirit of Fire Patch
  • Six "Leader Cards"
  • The "Honor Guard" Wraith in-game vehicle
  • The Halo 3 Mythic Map Pack, three brand new multiplayer maps that include Sandbox, Assembly, and Orbital

Official Soundtrack
2e1c2gx.jpg

Release Date | February 17th
Amazon.com
Download two FREE tracks here.

If you want to "Halowarsify" your avatar, contact NeoGAF member TDG.

2crlzjm.jpg

Sergeant Forge

Generic bald-space marine #23344
2d7yhso.jpg

Halo Wars Game Manual said:
Sgt. John Forge's record speaks plainly: decorated numerous times for valor and gallantry on the battlefield, but just as many counts for insubordination, conduct unbecoming, and striking a superior officer. He has been promoted five times and demoted thrice. The men in his squad say: 'He's the guy you want in the foxhole next to yours... but you'd never introduce him to your sister.'

Dr. Anders
2ueiivr.jpg

With PhD's in biology, anthropology, and psychology, Prof. Anders is the preeminent expert in theoretical xeno-biology. She has be invited by the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) to join their elite research team to investigate possible clues regarding the aliens' xenophobic behavior on the UNSC colony world, Harvest. Anders has an IQ of 180 and was a student of Dr. Katherine Halsey, progenitor of the Spartan II program.

Captain Cutter

akv6yu.jpg

Commanding officer, UNSC Spirit of Fire CFV-88. A superior battle tactician, but a better logistics officer. He refused command of the UNSC destroyer Prophecy in favor of the colonization vessel, Spirit of Fire. Upon the outbreak of the Covenant War, Cutter was handpicked by Admiral Preston Cole to helm the Spirit of Fire in her new role as center of repair, supply, and forward deployment operations for Battle Group D

Serina
28i5j4m.jpg

The "Smart A.I." aboard Spirit of Fire, Serina is capable of coordinating concurrent repair and refit operations of twelve UNSC ships of the line as well as organizing the deployment of hundreds of ground-side assets among dozens of different drop zones. Her sense of humor is dry and sardonic. She has an understated fascination with human relationships and a theoretical interest in chocolate.

mmgcib.jpg

A couple of notes:
  • You can NOT play as the Flood.
  • You can ONLY play as the Covenant in Skirmish/multiplayer mode. There is NOT a separate campaign for the Covenant.

2ro3ksl.jpg

Leaders

UNSC Leaders
Leaders play a huge role in Skirmish/Multiplayer mode. Each leader has access to a unique power, can produce a special unit, is allowed a super upgrade not available to other leaders, and has an economy bonus.

- Captain Cutter
- Dr. Anders
- Sergeant Forge

Covenant Leaders
Unlike their UNSC counterparts, Covenant leaders appear directly on the battlefield as individual units. In addition to having access to leader powers and special units, each Covenant leader has a special upgrade path.

- Prophet of Regret
- The Arbiter
- Brute Chieftain

Units

UNSC

Infantry
-Marines
-ODST, Note (for Skirmish/multiplayer): Only available if Captain Cutter is your leader
-Flamethrower
-Spartan
-Cyclops, Note (for Skirmish/multiplayer): Only available if Sgt. Forge is your leader

Vehicles
- Warthog
- Scorpion Tank
- Grizzly, Note (for Skirmish/multiplayer): Only available if Dr. Anders is your leader
- Cobra
- Gremlin
- Elephant
- Wolverine

Aircraft
- Hornet
- Hawk
- Vulture

The Covenant

Infantry
- Grunt
- Suicide Grunt, Note: Only available if The Arbiter is your leader
- Jackal
- Elite Honor Guard, Note: Only available if the Prophet of Regret is your leader
- Brute, Note: Only available if the Brute Chieftain is your leader

Vehicles
- Ghost
- Wraith
- Locust
- Scarab

Aircraft
- Engineer
- Banshee
- Vampire

xopp8j.jpg

1fw861.jpg

Current Score
82.gif

357mzp4.jpg

rrql4p.jpg

Darklord

Banned
I really hope this doesn't just have a quick join setting for online. I can't play against Americans with huge ping and I really want to play this online.

GhaleonEB

Great OP, Dax, m0dus. I won't be joining you guys on this particular foray, but I'm sure we'll run into each other on those Mythic maps eventually.

See

Now thats alot better :) good job. But kinda sad that you didn't mention me... but anyway, who cares.

DogWelder

Thanks Dax, m0dus and See^, dunno what you did, but much appreciated.

Btw that flaming Warthog looks like a Hot Wheels toy.

See

1cesc said:
Thanks Dax, m0dus and See^, dunno what you did, but much appreciated.

Btw that flaming Warthog looks like a Hot Wheels toy.

I didn't really do much, I had my own version of the OT art done along time ago. I showed them to Dax and he and m0dus used my idea of the "transmission massages" on his banners. It looks great, and original, my one was straight from the books.

Zhuk

Banned
A great OP, thanks for the hard work!! I have this bad boy on pre-order, after the demo I am very hyped for this game!!

Hope to play with some of the AusGAF crowd at release

Great OP man.

Played this demo all day today.
It immediately reminds me of what I consider the greatest RTS game of all time
Starcraft. Unfortunately that kind of sucks for Halo Wars since it doesn't really
do any of the things that make starcraft great all that well.

First things first the actual units. Remember how awesome it sounded when you
would tell a Siege Tank to mount and you would hear the powerful hydraulic and
whirring noise? That sound scared the shit out of me when I was playing against
a Terran. The point is Halo Wars has a lot of units that are pretty blatant copies
of starcraft(Siege Tank included) but none of them are nearly as bad ass or have
any of personality of any one unit in Starcraft("Jacked up and good to go" "How do I get out off this *BEEP* outfight?!" "Need a light?")

Plus despite being a Halo game the atmosphere and the great looking CG cutscenes dont
have nearly the epic nature of Halo or even really feel like Halo.

I know this is quite the rant but I was really hoping this game was going to be something
more. I think the controls and the overall graphics are excellent but it just doesn't hook
me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i was very impressed with the demo and the more i play it, the more i like it. went from pass to must have. now to decide if i should go ahead and get the le and the halo maps or skip that on principle alone...

op_ivy

what happened to the pelican (seen in some screens)? maybe just a campaign, non gameplay vehicle (like the halo fps-series)

op_ivy said:
what happened to the pelican (seen in some screens)? maybe just a campaign, non gameplay vehicle (like the halo fps-series)
It isn't a usable vehicle per-se, but you can drop off troops with it.

Ten-Song

op_ivy said:
i was very impressed with the demo and the more i play it, the more i like it. went from pass to must have. now to decide if i should go ahead and get the le and the halo maps or skip that on principle alone...

Eh, I skipped on getting the LE, because the maps are going to come with Halo 3: ODST anyways, so I can wait for that before getting any of the pay maps.

op_ivy

Ten-Song said:
Eh, I skiped on getting the LE, because the maps are going to come with Halo 3: ODST anyways, so I can wait for that before getting any of the pay maps.

thats so far away.... maybe i'll order from buy.com, they had a good deal on the le... MS is bending us over for the maps any way you slice it i guess...

Ramirez

Nice OP, I finally played the demo, and while it was a lot easier for me than say Warcraft 3 (only other one I've tried!), RTS still aren't for me. =\

mujun

i'm looking forward to playing this. i do hope the mp maps in the full game are better than the one in the demo though, it was too small.

op_ivy

Dax01 said:
It's in the demo if you play a skirmish match (if I recall correctly).

havent played using many of the spirit of fire commands other then dropping fury with MAC blasts

Kick ass OP, Daxy! So psyched for this. Played Skirmishes all day. I'm psyched now to see some campaign adventures, even though the structure will undoubtedly be different than a Skirmish. I know I'm so newb, but I think somehow Halo Wars broke down just enough barriers to really get me into a genre I've always wanted to enjoy but always seemed at arms length. (The same way NBA Street was the perfect Basketball game for me even though I could never last more than a week with NBA Live of NBA 2KWhatevs.)

Great job.

Red

Got a question if any of you guys have an answer:
What exactly are the leader cards? Are they simply physical cards, or is there any in-game download that comes with them?

I have the CE reserved, but I hardly play H3 anymore. I'd be paying an extra $20 just for a map pack I'd barely play, so I'm curious if I'm throwing my money away or not.

Hootie said:
This thread is simply an effort to compensate for Dax's laughable Civilization Revolution skill.
sqgkzo.jpg

Crunched said:
Got a question if any of you guys have an answer:
What exactly are the leader cards? Are they simply physical cards, or is there any in-game download that comes with them?

I have the CE reserved, but I hardly play H3 anymore. I'd be paying an extra $20 just for a map pack I'd barely play, so I'm curious if I'm throwing my money away or not.
*shrugs* I'm not sure, but they are probably just souvenir items.

watership

I really liked the demo and hope there is a lot still to discover abuot the game. I have some nagging doubts about the game's scope. If there is one thing I'm not worried about it's the CG cutscenes. They're some of the best I've seen.

Eric WK

PARANO1A said:
Anyone seen the 0.8 / 10 user rating on Metacritic. Fanboy wars are getting out of hand :lol

:lol

I wonder if that's actually affected someone's decision to buy.

And Dax, your new avatar is the best one yet. Finally one that's done her justice.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know it really sucks that the reward for making a solid game that's gonna sell a ton is to shut the studio down. Dumb fucks.

Unless of course there was some major issue at Ensemble and the only reason it finished was cause MS parachuted a bunch of devs into them.

Ten-Song

~Kinggi~ said:
You know it really sucks that the reward for making a solid game that's gonna sell a ton is to shut the studio down. Dumb fucks.

Unless of course there was some major issue at Ensemble and the only reason it finished was cause MS parachuted a bunch of devs into them.

Well, either way, its not all bad news at least.

Top Bottom