• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Looking Ahead] 2010 Oscar Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Sunday Slumdog Millionaire swept the Academy Awards concluding the culmination of 2008 cinema. 2009 film is now upon us. It’s been a bit of a mix with the horrendous Paul Blart: Mall Cop kicking off the year, but so far, it’s left us with a couple gems (Taken and Coraline 3-D). It’s not too early to take a look at the films that we will be seeing in next year’s Academy Awards. If you are looking for a more mainstream/blockbuster films, check out my 50 Must-See Movies of 2009. If you want a list of higher caliber films, here are my predictions for the major 2010 Oscars categories:

Best Picture/Director

I’ve decided to lump these two categories together since it’s too early to separate them out. Here are 10 films that I can see being in the running with some other contenders after:

Martin Scorsese - Shutter Island (a.k.a. Ashecliffe)

martin-scorsese.jpg

Plot: Drama is set in 1954, U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels is investigating the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane and is presumed to be hiding on the remote Shutter Island. Leo DiCaprio leads an all-star cast, including Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams and Max von Sydow

Rob Marshall - Nine

niner.jpg

Plot: Famous film director Guido Contini (played by Daniel Day-Lewis) struggles to find harmony in his professional and personal lives, as he engages in dramatic relationships with his wife, his mistress, his muse, his agent and his mother. Co-starring Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren and Penelope Cruz. Inspired by Federico Fellini’s masterpiece 8 1/2.

Clint Eastwood - Untitled Nelson Mandela Project (The Human Factor)

clint460.jpg

Plot: A look at life for Nelson Mandela, focused on his time after the fall of apartheid in South Africa during his first term as president when he campaigned to host the 1995 Rugby World Cup event as an opportunity to unite his countrymen. Morgan Freeman is set to play Mandela, with Matt Damon starring alongside as South African rugby captain Francois Pienaar.

Peter Jackson - The Lovely Bones

peterjackson.jpg

Plot: Centers on a young girl (Atonement’s Saoirse Ronan) who has been murdered and watches over her family - and her killer - from heaven. She must weigh her desire for vengeance against her desire for her family to heal. Mark Wahlberg and Rachel Weisz play the girl’s griefstricken parents.

Terrence Malik - The Tree of Life

terrencemalik.jpg

Plot: The story centers around a family with three boys in the 1950s. The eldest son witnesses the loss of innocence. Starring Brad Pitt and recent Oscar-winner Sean Penn.

John Hillcoat - The Road

john-hillcoat.jpg

Plot: A post-apocalyptic tale of a man and his son trying to survive by any means possible. Starring Viggo Mortenson and Charlize Theron.

James Cameron - Avatar

james-cameron-avatar-sam.jpg

Plot: A band of humans are pitted in a battle against a distant planet’s indigenous population. Sigourney Weaver and Sam Worthington star.

Paul Greengrass - Green Zone

greenzoneempire.jpg

Plot: A political thriller about a couple of CIA agents after WMDs. Starring Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear.

Ang Lee - Taking Woodstock

ang-lee-4079-2.jpg

Plot: A man (comedian Demetri Martin) working at his parents’ motel in the Catskills inadvertently sets in motion the generation-defining concert in the summer of 1969.

Michael Mann - Public Enemies

michael-mann.jpg

Plot: Federal agent Melvin Purvis (played by Christian Bale) works to take down infamous gangster John Dillinger (played by Johnny Depp) and his crew.

Long Shots:

Alejandro González Iñárritu - Biutiful

The Coen Brothers - A Serious Man

Woody Allen - Whatever Works

Terry Gilliam - The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker

Martin Campbell - Edge of Darkness

Longest Shot:

Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds

-

Best Actor

Morgan Freeman - Untitled Nelson Mandela Project (The Human Factor)

morgan-freeman.jpg

Daniel Day-Lewis - Nine

daniel_day_lewis_ci.jpg

Javier Bardem - Biutiful

javier-bardem-oscar.jpg

Matt Damon - The Informant/Green Zone

theinformant1.jpg

Leonardo DiCaprio - Shutter Island (a.k.a. Ashecliffe)

leo.jpg

Long Shots:

Sam Rockwell - Moon

Jake Gyllenhaal - Brothers

Tobey Maguire - Brothers

Viggo Mortenson - The Road

Longest Shot:

George Clooney - Up in the Air

-

Best Actress

Penelope Cruz - Broken Embraces/Nine

Penelope_Cruz_-_500_-_16.jpg

Hilary Swank - Amelia

hilary-swank-as-amelia-ptoodgpeople.jpg

Cary Mulligan - An Education

carey_mulligan_an_education_movie_image1.jpg

Rachel Wiesz - Agora

la-primera-imagen-de-agora-el-nuevo-film-de-alejandro-amenabar_noticia_main.jpg

Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia

Meryl-Streep_l.jpg

Long Shots:

Michelle Pfeiffer - Chéri

Natalie Portman - Brothers

Helen Mirren - The Tempest

Saoirse Ronan - The Lovely Bones

Longest Shot:

Zooey Deschanel - 500 Days of Summer

What do you think of these predictions? Would you add or take away any?

mods: bishop said original articles are cool

Speevy

Banned
Even though this thread is well-researched, it's still way too early.

No one would have guessed Slumdog in 2007, not in a milion years.

Snaku

Banned
punkypine said:
better than street fighter? have you ever even watched a film in your life...

The Street Fighter remake? Please.

Though it won't be better than the JCVD original, which was snubbed big time by the Academy.

swoon

a lot of those movies have bad buzz already - i mean the road , really? so you should wait a little bit before doing this thread.

Eric WK

Yeah, pretty much. Here's hoping the film of the forever (Tree of Life) makes it out in time. And I'm starting my Michelle Williams for Best Supporting Actress campaign immediately.

But guys, calm down. Of course it's incredibly early and nobody really has any idea how the season is going to play out, but that's what makes it interesting. And it's refreshing to discuss how damn good the next year in film is going to be.

Zeliard

Speevy said:

It's easier to tell what some of the acting nominees will be just due to the type of film and the type of actor.

Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela seems very obvious as a choice for an Oscar nod. Great actor in a bio-pic of an inspirational real-life figure.

Somehow I don't see the Academy praising AVATAR for 2 reasons.

1) Would be the misconception of Cameron's last oscar win speech.
2) It's science fiction.

Anyway, I notice you left off your last list and this list The Time Traveller's Wife which could be very good indeed.

I think AVATAR will win best visual effects. I think Gilliam's Imagnarium could win best art direction.

swoon said:
a lot of those movies have bad buzz already - i mean the road , really? so you should wait a little bit before doing this thread.

Actually, I've read a couple of new early test screenings where they said it was fantastic. I have faith in Hillcoat, The Proposition was so good.

Speevy said:

That's true. This thread is meant more to be a heads up on what people think will win, and we can see how they actually play out. Last year, people thought Australia, Defiance, and Changeling were going to clean up, and look what happened :lol

Kal said:
Wow, didn't know about "Nine" until now. That picture makes my mouth water!!! Can't wait!

Something tells me she won't have that outfit on, but we can always have hope. The girls in 8 1/2 were gorgeous.

Eric WK said:
Yeah, pretty much. Here's hoping the film of the forever (Tree of Life) makes it out in time.

And I'm starting my Michelle Williams for Best Supporting Actress campaign immediately.

Yeah that film could be the greatest, ever. I'm just hoping its more of a grounded take of The Fountain

Zeliard said:
It's easier to tell what some of the acting nominees will be just due to the type of film and the type of actor.

Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela seems very obvious as a choice for an Oscar nod. Great actor in a bio-pic of an inspirational real-life figure.

Seriously! They look like twins, it's crazy.

Eric WK

I really don't think Avatar and The Road are strong contenders right now, especially over Taking Woodstock or Green Zone.

A year from now, though, we could be talking about how Nine won a dozen Oscars the previous weekend.

Mike Works said:
what's Avatar about? i've never heard of it.

A massive sci-fi epic with fully immersive 3-D directed by James Cameron. Not too many details have been released yet. We should see a full trailer before Transformers 2 or another summer movie.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Up Vs. Coraline for Best Animated should be interesting.

Not like either of them has any chance for best overall picture. They're animated after all.

Sadly, Coraline might be long forgotten by Oscar time, especially if 9 turns out to be great.

swoon

DanielPlainview said:
Actually, I've read a couple of new early test screenings where they said it was fantastic. I have faith in Hillcoat, The Proposition was so good.

it was pedestrian but fine, but i mean it has to be directed by committee at this point, same with eastwood's nelson movie. the awful lead choice will doom oscar bait taking woodstock.

also everything i've read about Nine seems like it was made for people who haven't seen 8 1/2. also to say it's inspired by 8 1/2 really should make someone think, aren't all films in some way inspired by 8 1/2? it's sort of like saying your book was inspired by shakespeare

DanielPlainview said:
A massive sci-fi epic with fully immersive 3-D directed by James Cameron. Not too many details have been released yet. We should see a full trailer before Transformers 2 or another summer movie.
10z7myp.jpg

Zeliard

harSon said:
Holy Shit!

Hollywood is finally casting Morgan Freeman as something other then a supporting actor?! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I didn't really realize it until this post, but yeah, Morgan Freeman hasn't been a lead in what seems like a long ass time. Has he even been a lead in this decade so far?

neptunes

Zeliard said:
Anyone else find that kind of sad?

Like knowing which teams will make the nba playoffs every season

Mike Works said:

Doubt it. I reckon the trailer will be on either Monsters v Aliens or Transformers 2.

Anyway its about a wounded ex-marine who is given the opportunity to join this program that takes him onto another planet that humanity is mining for resources (earth has become a cesspool). They're killing the indigenous population yada yada I don't want to spoil the rest. I've only read the first 1/3 of the 1997 treatment he wrote.

DanielPlainview said:
Plot: Famous film director Guido Contini (played by Daniel Day-Lewis) struggles to find harmony in his professional and personal lives, as he engages in dramatic relationships with his wife, his mistress, his muse, his agent and his mother. Co-starring Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren and Penelope Cruz. Inspired by Federico Fellini’s masterpiece 8 1/2.

Based on a 1982 Broadway musical that was based on an Italian stage version of 8 1/2. Raul Julia originated the role of Contini, and Antonion Banderas was in the 2003 revival that won the Tony Award for Best Revival.

Zeliard

neptunes said:
Anyone else find that kind of sad?

Like knowing which teams will make the nba playoffs every season

The Academy has its general preferences that they've made known throughout the years. Comedies and sci-fi flicks, for example, have a much tougher time getting any sort of Oscar recognition than most other genres outside of the tech (for sci-fi) and writing (for comedy) categories.

Oppositely, bio-pics and such generally do very well, especially the actors involved. Not that I'm saying it's not usually deserved, since it can be tough to play a real-life figure without falling into basic mimicry.

Also, never bet against Daniel Day-Lewis. If he's acting in a film that year, and it isn't completely obscure, chances are more likely than not that the Academy will recognize him. And they should. The guy's simply on another level from other actors.

Scullibundo said:
Doubt it. I reckon the trailer will be on either Monsters v Aliens or Transformers 2.

Anyway its about a wounded ex-marine who is given the opportunity to join this program that takes him onto another planet that humanity is mining for resources (earth has become a cesspool). They're killing the indigenous population yada yada I don't want to spoil the rest. I've only read the first 1/3 of the 1997 treatment he wrote.
OH MY GOD I WAS JOKING ABOUT NOT KNOWING WHAT AVATAR WAS BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS MAKE THREADS ABOUT IT, NOT INFERRING THAT IT WOULD BE ATTACHED IN FRONT OF TERMINATOR HOW CAN YOU NOT GET THIS

Zeliard

Mike Works said:
OH MY GOD I WAS JOKING ABOUT NOT KNOWING WHAT AVATAR WAS BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS MAKE THREADS ABOUT IT, NOT INFERRING THAT IT WOULD BE ATTACHED IN FRONT OF TERMINATOR HOW CAN YOU NOT GET THIS

Sculli doesn't take Avatar jokes lightly. :lol

Solo

While I applaud your neverending efforts, Daniel, I do have to agree with most - its FAR too early. I mean, how can we really speculate on acting noms, when even they havent been seen even at film festivals yet, let alone in wide release. While I agree there are lots of safe/surefire noms (Scorsese, Eastwood, Daniel Day Lewis, etc.), who knows? Im always hoping *this year* will be the year the Academy shakes things up a bit.

Solo said:
While I applaud your neverending efforts, Daniel, I do have to agree with most - its FAR too early. I mean, how can we really speculate on acting noms, when even they havent been seen even at film festivals yet, let alone in wide release. While I agree there are lots of safe/surefire noms (Scorsese, Eastwood, Daniel Day Lewis, etc.), who knows? Im always hoping *this year* will be the year the Academy shakes things up a bit.

Like I said before, it's more to track these films and see how they end up doing at the end of the year. Academy Awards are tending to shake things up a tiny bit. It was awesome that Slumdog won.

Solo

Indeed, Slumdog was the biggest departure for the Academy since ROTK won. Thing is, after ROTK, the next winner was Million Dollar Baby, so I wouldnt be too surprised to see the awards being flung back at a "safe" choice again this year, like Eastwood or Scorsese.

Timber

the lovely bones sounds so... lovely! ive been waiting for peter jackson to do something a bit more heavenly creatures (which i love so much) and less lotr/king kong. wahlberg isn't the greatest actor but it's not like he's never given good performances. 2009 will be the year of rachel weisz, tho :)

scorcese's films aren't what they used to be but i thought aviator and the departed were decent, at least. michelle williams and max von sydow are awesome casting choices.

and WTF at that daniel day lewis 8 1/2 movie! i guess that picture is from the harem scene, huh? what a strange... hey wait is that marion cotillard i see? im interested!

Kal

Timber said:
and WTF at that daniel day lewis 8 1/2 movie! i guess that picture is from the harem scene, huh? what a strange... hey wait is that marion cotillard i see? im interested!

Just noticed that there are six oscar winners in that picture :lol Amazing.

Eric WK

Yeah, there's some pedigree there.

Starring:
Two-Time Academy Award Winner Daniel Day-Lewis
Academy Award Winner Penelope Cruz
Academy Award Winner Marion Cotillard
Academy Award Winner Nicole Kidman
Academy Award Winner Judi Dench
Academy Award Winner Sophia Loren
Academy Award Nominee Kate Hudson

Directed by the Academy Award Nominated Director of the Academy Award Winner for Best Picture, 'Chicago', Rob Marshall.

Based on the Tony Award Winning Musical based on the Academy Award Winning Film 8 1/2 from Academy Award Nominee Federico Fellini.

Timber

and don't forget fergie from black eyed peas as saraghina the portly dancing prostitute!

it sounds so bizarre, yet intriguing

DanielPlainview said:
Like I said before, it's more to track these films and see how they end up doing at the end of the year. Academy Awards are tending to shake things up a tiny bit. It was awesome that Slumdog won.

Then why not make a "Films of 2009 Thread". Adding Oscar talk to it is just kind of silly considering it's been less than a week since the 2008 awards were handed out.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
harSon said:
Holy Shit!

Hollywood is finally casting Morgan Freeman as something other then a supporting actor?! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Yeah I am expecting Morgan Freeman to finally get his dues. With Eastwood directing (the bastard touches gold everytime he gets behind a camera IMO), I'm hoping for brilliance.

fistfulofmetal said:
winner of everything: Watchmen
If it all turns out to be as good as some are saying, I think Watchmen might have a chance. Now that The Dark Knight has softened the public up and gotten them to accept the superhero genre as legitimate films, Watchmen has a chance to be the ROTK of superhero movies.

Banana Kid said:
If it all turns out to be as good as some are saying, I think Watchmen might have a chance. Now that The Dark Knight has softened the public up and gotten them to accept the superhero genre as legitimate films, Watchmen has a chance to be the ROTK of superhero movies.

No. It has no chance at the Oscars.

i like how people can hype up "Oscar" type movies in advance, and then once the Oscars actually roll around people complain about how the Oscars are so predictable and only reward the same old kind of films year after year.

Eric WK

Banana Kid said:

No chance in hell.

Mike Works said:

I knew you knew. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom