• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great GAF Art Challenge #5: Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamorro

Adama3.jpg

The subject of this art challenge will be: Religion. This has been a great inspiration for many painters throughout the centuries. Now let's give our own interpretation to this age-old theme. Atheists are welcome!

The rules

• Submissions can be 2D or 3D, real or natural media. No photos or photo manipulations. No paint-overs of photos either. Original works should be made specifically for each challenge; no re-using old images that might fit the theme.
  • The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.
  • Only one submission per person, per challenge. You can change your submission by editing your post. To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images. Keep pieces to a reasonable size. Link to larger ones if you must.
  • One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged. Please BOLD your votes to make it easier to count come tally time.
  • The "winner" will choose the next theme.
  • Have fun! It's not about winning or making your masterpiece every week. All skill levels welcome! Dust off your sketchbooks and let's rock!
The deadline for this time will be Friday, April 3rd at 16:00 GMT.
Voting will start April 3rd 16:30 GMT.

The deadline has been extended to Sunday, April 5th at 16:00 GMT.
Voting will start April 5th 16:30 GMT.
Voting will last for 48 hours and will end Tuesday, April 7th 16:30 GMT.

Good luck out there!

Older challenges:

Great GAF Art Challenge #1 - "An Unlikely Pair"

Great GAF Art Challenge #2: The Other Side

Great GAF Art Challenge #3: The Line

Great GAF Art Challenge #4: WAR

Prax

I was a little worried back there that the threads would stop!

I'll try to participate in this one as well!

EDIT: I moved all my placeholders to this post!
Placeholder art (or depending on time constraints, perhaps my submission)!
GGAC5-religion1.jpg
GGAC5-religion2.jpg
GGAC5-religion3.jpg

I may go with something similar-themed to the first one.. just because I love stars. xD

What the hell? I didn't even realize there was another one going on. This must've dropped off the first page fast for me to have missed it in the first place.

Zamorro

I have extended the deadline to Sunday, April 5th, since a lot of people seem to have missed the thread and only a few people have submitted anything yet.

Mik2121

You did, but spelling it in romaji looks so weird..

You might want to draw this:

信じて

Which means "believe" as well.

Mik2121

It has two dots in the second letter, not one long (though it looks like when the font is small). But you might want to draw them separated.

Other than that.. when I first saw it I didn't know what the thing on the right was, now I get it lol. The shoulder pad thing looked like a face to me, so I was like.. a weird face with long hair? lol... :p

I made this so you can see it better:

believe.jpg

Mik2121

Prax said:
Okay okay! No more correcting my shitty ignorance! xD
Damn you, Aeris!
Alright
You might want to change the circle/dots you used and change them for simple dots, as the circle is used only at the end of the sentence, otherwise they use dots like we do.
Something like this: 信じて・・・

Mik2121

crusader2.jpg

I will start to mix the colors now to get the gradients and fix out whatever needs to get fixed.

I will add a simple background later, even though I'll probably stay with the paper background as well.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What conputr proggrams can do a painting-like looking paint, but not using a lot of conputer cpu?

Prax

Mik2121 said:
Alright
You might want to change the circle/dots you used and change them for simple dots, as the circle is used only at the end of the sentence, otherwise they use dots like we do.
Something like this: 信じて・・・

What if I was being symbolic and was ending her sentence 3 times?! >_>
Speaking of symbolism: is my picture about the naivite of faith and religion, or the celebrating martyrdom? Or maybe it's about the patriarchal dominance of religion!!!!
I should have just used DATTEBAYO! XO

Okay, here's my "real" submission so far. I'll probably replace it though?
I call it "The Great Mystery"

EDIT: Okay, I lied, this is my final real submission. Same theme as my first placeholder, just like I said. XD (I'm going to put the old placeholders with my first one).
GGAC5-religion4.jpg

"Answers, give them to me!"

Cyan

Banned
Ceres said:
Something old as a placeholder if I'm not able to get something else done:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z5or2v.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Per the OP, should be something original.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I haven't done hand drawn art since High School, or any other art besides Photography for that matter... but here's my submission (made via Photoshop)

hrlfo2.jpg

El Papa

Ok here's mine. I got home at about 3 AM and figured I'd throw something together last minute. I did't use pencil for this, at was all digital, which I normally never do. That's probably why it looks loose. It could also be that I haven't drawn anything major on about 2-3 years. This is Photoshop CS3 btw.

gaf_art5_allyourbase.jpg

Nice work guys. Full disclosure: this drawing doesn't really match the guidelines since I started it before the contest, not to mention it's unfinished. I'm posting anyway it in the spirit of sharing even if it doesn't qualify for the challenge because it matches the theme and I'm currently tinkering around with it.

choir.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I haven't done hand drawn art since High School, or any other art besides Photography for that matter... but here's my submission (made via Photoshop
Simple, but I really like it.

Dali

1)GrotesqueBeauty - Interesting concept, excellent execution. I love it, even unfinished.
2)El Papa - Both sides look evil, lol.

Zamorro

Dali said:
1)GrotesqueBeauty - Interesting concept, excellent execution. I love it, even unfinished.
GrotesqueBeauty said that his drawing doesn't participate in this challenge. Who do you have for third place?

El Papa

1. Prax - Love the idea, although I kinda like your placeholder one a bit more for some reason.
2. BlueTsunami - The simplicity of it is really cool.

Dali said:
Maybe that's the point. ;)
Actually, you're right, I rushed it because I was really tired at that point forgot to go back and fix it.

Prax

El Papa said:
1. Prax - Love the idea, although I kinda like your placeholder one a bit more for some reason.
2. BlueTsunami - The simplicity of it is really cool.

Maybe that's the point. ;)
Actually, you're right, I rushed it because I was really tired at that point forgot to go back and fix it.

Thanks! Oh, and I know. The original has the simple charm of not being overrendered. It looks more artsy/painterly, anyway! Plus, the stars are relatively bigger and it has grass! I just didn't want to completely duplicate what I did though.. so we also have a rooftop. XD

My votes:

1. El Papa - I like how it's like playing a game for souls! I was also trying to pick out what nations you labeled as devil or crucifix dominated.
2. Zamorro - that's right.. they just all be getting along and having a beer while we fight over technicalities! They look kind of worried though.. as if some ominous outsider doesn't expect them to...?

Honorable mention: Blue Tsunami
Reminds me of that scene in.. uh.. Joseph, King of Dreams (kind of bad spiritual sequel to Prince of Egypt.. lol).. I think!

Dali

Zamorro said:
GrotesqueBeauty said that his drawing doesn't participate in this challenge. Who do you have for third place?
I guess I'd rate them all evenly after second place. So if I can't vote for GB then I suppose I've only got one vote.

Zamorro

The Results:

1st Place: El Papa
2nd Place: Prax
3rd Place: Zamorro

Vote count:
Code:
El Papa        14
Prax           10
Zamorro	        4
Mik2121	        3
DumbNameD	2
BlueTsunami	1
Congratulations to El Papa!!!

And now it's El Papa's turn to create GAF Art Challenge thread #6!!!

Prax

Can we make a new rule whereby the new thread must be linked in the old thread by the winner?
It took me forever to find this thread when it started because it got buried so quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom