• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonsai Barber for the WiiWare ( from the Director of GoldenEye 007 )

king zell

March 27, 2009 - In rare but welcome form, Nintendo has given us a glimpse of its latest WiiWare title hitting the Wii Shop Channel this coming Monday. Bonsai Barber, developed by Martin Hollis (development lead on GoldenEye for Nintendo 64) and his Zoonami team, is a very unique casual-style experience that puts shears and buzzcutters in your hand to groom a wide assortment of characters with branches growing out of their noggin.

Bonsai Barber works off the Wii's system clock, with players being allowed to groom five characters every day. By using the Wii remote's pointer functionality, you'll have to use barber tools to give each character a professional cut by snipping away at the leaves and branches. The game features semi-realistic leaf and branch behavior as well as incredibly precise pointer controls (with twist), so you can hack away at the entire shrub by snipping closer to the root, or simply pluck away at edge leaves with the razors to get as close to the desired shape as possible. You can even bend the branches with the comb tool to create parts in the "hair" as well as tangle it all up into bunches. Don't fret if you've cut a little too close for comfort: if you hacked off more than desired you can simply grab the spritz bottle and regrow the lost branches to try again.

bonsai-barber-20090327110249341-000.jpg

Though the goal is to give a five-star professional cut, you can pretty much do whatever you want without the risk of failing. Any cut that you give can be saved with the in-game "camera," and photos snapped can then be sent to the Wii message board and delivered to friends via WiiConnect 24 or sent to the Photo Channel. Bonsai Barber has a ton of secrets, including an achievement system that features a wide variety of awards to earn. Do well enough and the characters will offer you gifts – in our hands-on we unlocked a flower pot that gave us the ability to practice all sorts of haircuts in a time trial mode. And being a Zoonami title, there's a lot of British charm and humor in the game.

Bonsai Barber is being published by Nintendo and will hit the US Wii Shop channel this Monday for 1000 points.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/967/967075p1.html

at last we have seen GAME ZERO!!

WOAH, I thought Zoonami might've been dead!

This really came out of nowhere.

Nice to see Zoonami finally putting out another game and one that's published by Nintendo like Game Zero was supposed to be in 2002...

But I seriously doubt this is it... is it?

No wait, it can't be, Game Zero was supposed to be a Sci-fi game wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure all the hilarious jokes on these guys' expense were exhausted when they unveiled that rhythm whatever game all those years ago. and they've made another couple of crappy casual things since then so this game being what it is isn't a huge surprise.

MY GOD NO!

Where's the NIMF on this one? Clearly promoting violence against veggies. First Cooking Mama, then Iron Chef America, and now this!? Shameless.

Bonsai Barber = Produce Murder Simulator

Nintendo am doomed.

Joseph Merrick said:
I'm pretty sure all the hilarious jokes on these guys' expense were exhausted when they unveiled that rhythm whatever game all those years ago. and they've made another couple of crappy casual things since then so this game being what it is isn't a huge surprise.

That was Funkydilla.

Interesting (sorta) is that Bonsai Barber is owned by Nintendo:

bonsai-barber-screens-20090327103944486_640w.jpg

Can't Nintendo just buy them and have them try to make games like Rare used to?

Or at least have them makes some DK games.

Yeah... I doubt many of the employees ever even touched a DK game (Free Radical's did), but at least they seem fit for the part, making colorful character (carroter? *drumbeat*) games where as Free Radical only made TimeSplitters and Second Sight, not what I'd call a cutsy colorful... ah you get the idea. :p

Joseph Merrick said:
why would they make dk games?

Mostly a stereotype I suppose.

Rare made DK games, people leave Rare, new company has Rare employees, so they must make a Rare-like game RIGHT?

Yeah, I'm laughing at myself too. :lol

GC|Simon

Looks like shit but I'll buy that because I really want to support Hollis and his team!

fuck man, I want Game Zero

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Following the post Perfect Dark Rare splinter factions is like watching a great band split up and make uninteresting solo albums.

BuzzJive

Zoonami is so busy they don't even have time to update their website to announce this game.

I'd like to see Hollis become relevant in the scene again. He always seemed like an intelligent guy. I hope this is the beginning of him bringing more of his ideas to life.

This looks like something my wife would dig, and my 3 year old would enjoy watching. I'll probably grab it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
SapientWolf said:
Following the post Perfect Dark Rare splinter factions is like watching a great band split up and make uninteresting solo albums.

pretty much.

oh how the mighty have fallen ...

pakkit

Banned
I really hope Nintendo starts opening up its release schedule to the media a little more often. These stealth releases are ridiculous, and can only harm immediate sales.

Bozon-IGN said:
MY GOD NO!

Where's the NIMF on this one? Clearly promoting violence against veggies. First Cooking Mama, then Iron Chef America, and now this!? Shameless.

Bonsai Barber = Produce Murder Simulator

Nintendo am doomed.

Oh, Bozon.
You rapscallion.

Meesh

If the art style was more akin to Mushroom Men, or something a little more realistic but surreal, (a little Demon Barber Tim Burton?) I could see myself buying this weirdo game.

Before I saw the screen, I was imagining beautiful bonsais with weird faces and attitude to match...now I'm no graphics wilder-whore, but that screen? Well, it's just plain ol' nasty!!! Do not want.

Downhome

I just totally blind bought this game, and I love it. I did a search here just to see if there was a thread for it and sure enough there is, but it's pretty much pre-releasing mocking.

Well, it's a great game and is loads of fun for a few minutes a day, not to mention having a great sense of humor. I highly recommend this one if you want something quick to play every now and then, and don't mind the $10 price tag. I think it's well worth it though, but that may just be me. :D

I can hear the Bond theme when I'm cutting Charles B. Foster's hair :D

I can't figure out how to get five stars on him though :( I'm doing the "fan" style.

ymmv

Banned
Downhome said:
I just totally blind bought this game, and I love it. I did a search here just to see if there was a thread for it and sure enough there is, but it's pretty much pre-releasing mocking.

Well, it's a great game and is loads of fun for a few minutes a day, not to mention having a great sense of humor. I highly recommend this one if you want something quick to play every now and then, and don't mind the $10 price tag. I think it's well worth it though, but that may just be me. :D

Do not want.

CaVaYeRo

I could play it some months ago with Martin Hollins himself and I have to say I really liked for what you say... some minutes a day.

The design was good, but the feeling was great (scissors sounds + precision + different angles + branches falling down + humor). Of course it's not a must buy, but it's a bizarre curiosity for those who look for something different and fun.

I also found the Nintendo branding strange . They didn't have any Zoonami reference until I speak to him. Weird, weird...

EDIT: wasn't it EDGE who gave them a 7/10?

Shiggy

CaVaYeRo said:
I also found the Nintendo branding strange . They didn't have any Zoonami reference until I speak to him. Weird, weird...

Isn't it the same with other Nintendo published games? The ArtStyle games for example? Or even retail titles like Captain Rainbow.
Still Zoonami was allowed to start this giveaway ;)

topofuji

Banned
I never thought that back in 1997 playing Goldeneye I would think a future project from it's a head would be something called "Bonsai Barber"

:\
Gaming is dead. (harhar)

Magypsy23

Banned
Shiggy said:
There's a nice giveaway for the European launch.

bbseeds@zoonami.com said:
Thank you so much for sharing in the excitement of the forthcoming release of Bonsai Barber. We hope you enjoy the game as much as we do. Your seeds have been despatched!
Feel free to brag to us about how successful your horticultural efforts have been. We will publish the best stories on our website. :)

The European edition of Bonsai Barber will be released on the 7th August!

Yay.

Top Bottom