• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Combine a GBA Micro + PSP and you get?

PSGames

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/03/chinavision-cvfh-n03-4g-portable-emulator-indulges-your-retro-ga/

chinavisio-retro-pad-rm-eng-2.jpg

Chinavision's CVFH-N03-4G may not have the catchiest titles, but it does boast an impressive array of emulators to satisfy your on-the-go retro gaming needs -- although we imagine those tiny shoulder buttons would prove irksome after a while. Support includes NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Game Boy Advance, SNK Neo-Geo and Capcom arcade systems CPS1 and CPS2 -- sorry, no love for Atari 2600 or Commodore 64, here -- all accessible through a menu that in no way, shape, or form resembles Sony's Xross Media Bar. It also plays MP3, MPEG5, FLAC, WMV, AVI, and a few other audio / video formats, and reportedly can function as an e-book reader with text to speech capabilities -- y'know, just in case there weren't enough entities peeved at it being a beacon for ROMs. As for hardware, we're looking at a 2.8-inch QVGA LCD, 4GB internal memory, a mini-SD card slot, and AV out for the television. Buy one for $87.31, three for $83.82 apiece, or if you're feeling generous, pick up 50 for a more generous, undisclosed discount.

Doesn't look half bad.

xfactor

Banned
Nice concept, but is that actually legal? I mean a handheld made to play games from other old consoles. What about the battery life?

And lol at the description page on the official site

Multi-platform handheld gaming entertainment station, which is often lovingly called the Delightfully Small (DS) gaming entertainment system.

pje122

Its a nice looking picture, but the reality probably is that its way inferior to a PSP (slim) with CFW.

PSGames

China Manufacturer Specifications

■Primary Function: Gaming and media player entertainment system
■Display: 2.8 inch QVGA LTPS (Low Temperature PolySilicon) LCD Screen
■Memory:
- Internal 4GB
- External Mini SD card
■Controller Design: D-pad
■Gaming Console Modes:
- NES (Nintendo Entertainment System - 8bit)
- SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System - 16bit)
- Sega Genesis (Sega Mega-Drive - 16-bit)
- GBA (Nintendo Game Boy Advance)
- Neo-Geo (SNK Neo-Geo)
- CPS1 and CPS2 (CAPCOM, arcade game systems, 1st and 2nd edition)
■Compatible Video Formats: FLV, WMV, ASF, RM, AVI, MPEG, MP4, RMVB, SWF
■Compatible Audio Formats: MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC
■I/O Slots
- Earphone jack
- Mini-USB slot
- Mini-SD slot
- AV OUT (output to TV - NTSC or PAL, 16:9 or 4:3)
- Stereo Speakers
■Additional Media Functions:
- FM Radio with recording function
- Voice Recorder (MP3, WAV)
- Image viewer (JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG)
- Ebook reader (with text to speech function)
■Languages: English, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional)
■Dimensions: 125mm x 56mm x 14mm (L x W x H)
■Manufacturer Ref: C244B8F4E8
■Catalog Ref: Nintendo, DS, videogames, handhelds
Other Features

■Introduce your children to 8-bit and 16-bit gaming coolness and never hear another "'m so bored" complaint from them again
■NES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System - 16bit) = FC (Nintendo Family Computer, 8-bit)
■SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System - 16bit) = SFC (Nintendo Super Family Computer, 16-bit)
Package Contents

■Model CVFH-N03-4G Portable Game Unit
■AC Adapter
■Mini-USB adapter
■User Manual - English
■Earbuds

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
xfactor said:
Nice concept, but is that actually legal? I mean a handheld made to play games from other old consoles. What about the battery life?

And lol at the description page on the official site
Its legal. Whats illegal is the Roms, in US courts Emulators have held up as being perfectly legal though.

Troidal

Sorry if I missed it, but how exactly do you uhm..."buy" these classic games?

I like how it LOOKS like a GB micro, but the photo on the website clearly shows its more like the size of a PSP. And for that = fail. Why micro is sexy is because its sexy small.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Defuser said:
PSP has all emulators including N64 and PSX. PSP wins.
Isn't the N64 one and even the SNES one still rather buggy still? I know the last time I was using a SNES emulator it was having issues with Earthbound even.

samusx

Banned
Dude, its only 125mm long.
Also the people holding the thing are fucking tiny Chinese chicks, a pencil would look big in there hands.

Size posted on the web site is 125mm x 56mm.

Thats only a little bigger than a GB Micro.

It seems pretty cool, but I can do all the emulator stuff on my PSP and DS already. But the size of this thing is pretty tempting.

samusx said:
Dude, its only 125mm long.
Also the people holding the thing are fucking tiny Chinese chicks, a pencil would look big in there hands.

Size posted on the web site is 125mm x 56mm.

Thats only a little bigger than a GB Micro.

It seems pretty cool, but I can do all the emulator stuff on my PSP and DS already. But the size of this thing is pretty tempting.

its about the width of a DS, and about half an inch shorter, and just a bit slimmer according to one of the videos size comparisons.

Colocho

Banned
xfactor said:
This is smaller (in other words, more portable), cheaper and support FM radio without addons or homebrew.
True, but a PSP can also play *gasp* PSP games, so it wins by default.

Somnid

Why are people getting defensive? They've had this sort of shit coming from China for ages. It's geared primarily toward pirates like they all are. There are no good ways to obtain games for it, to legally use it you need to be ripping your own stuff.

wow, looks pretty nice, It'd be a nice way to carry old games in a small package. gahh, the youtube video review guy is super boring.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
if you want good handheld for homebrew and emulators and other stuff save you money for GP2X Wiz ( out later this month )

pa.138861.14.jpg

Just dropping in some quick facts:

-Size wise, it's slightly smaller than the bottom half of the DS Lite (if you chopped right above the bottom screen).

-Battery life is roughly 8+ hours

-Emulation that is perfect or near perfect: GBA, NES, CPS1, CPS2 and Neo Geo. For the last three it depends on the game.

-Emulation that is bad: SNES. Memories of old, old days of emulation on PC or not-so-popular devices. It's the type of emulator where frame skip 1 and no sound is the cloest to perfect. yeah, that kind.

-Borderline unplayable: Genesis. It's slow and ugly.

There are already speed ups for the device that make things like the SNES emulator run mroe smooth, probably at the cost of battery life. And the emulators can be updated and it can use homebrew ones too.

Depending on your expectations, you might enjoy it. If you want something serious, get something like that Wiz or the Pandora. Just hold off until there is good news about the devices before ordering. Or just get a PSP that can do CFW.

DaBargainHunta said:
$330, but it's "by far the most powerful handheld in the world" according to its official website.
for 330 it had better well be.

here is another review of the dingoo (and more impressions in that posts comments). i went ahead and ordered one via deal extreme. 85 bucks is pretty good for all it has. im a fan of all the supported movie formats and the fm radio thrown in. will be good for traveling.

EDIT now with the right link

Linkzg said:
Just dropping in some quick facts:

-Size wise, it's slightly smaller than the bottom half of the DS Lite (if you chopped right above the bottom screen).

-Battery life is roughly 8+ hours

-Emulation that is perfect or near perfect: GBA, NES, CPS1, CPS2 and Neo Geo. For the last three it depends on the game.

-Emulation that is bad: SNES. Memories of old, old days of emulation on PC or not-so-popular devices. It's the type of emulator where frame skip 1 and no sound is the cloest to perfect. yeah, that kind.

-Borderline unplayable: Genesis. It's slow and ugly.

There are already speed ups for the device that make things like the SNES emulator run mroe smooth, probably at the cost of battery life. And the emulators can be updated and it can use homebrew ones too.

Depending on your expectations, you might enjoy it. If you want something serious, get something like that Wiz or the Pandora. Just hold off until there is good news about the devices before ordering. Or just get a PSP that can do CFW.

Do you own one? I watched a video on youtube of the tv out function with street fighter and it looked pretty choppy, but maybe it was the video.. How is the Dpad? I found that fighters were impossible to play on the 1st ver of the PSP.

I noticed in one of the youtubes, as he pauses the game to quit out one of the menu options was frameskip, kind of tells us there are going to be problems with games if that's there.

Rather cool though, for £55 or so too it's rather cheap.

Troidal said:
Sorry if I missed it, but how exactly do you uhm..."buy" these classic games?

I like how it LOOKS like a GB micro, but the photo on the website clearly shows its more like the size of a PSP. And for that = fail. Why micro is sexy is because its sexy small.

dingoo-vergleich.jpg

krae_man

You can buy that thing for $85 with free shipping off of Dealextreme.

Read the customer reviews. SNES and Genesis emulation have slowdown issues.

I might pay $50 for one of these things $90ish is way too much.

I'm waiting for a GP2X Wiz.

1-D_FTW

Hasn't the GP2X Wiz kept getting pushed back and back with the release date? Assuming they're not lying and the thing actually is using an OLED screen, I'm really intrigued by it. But it almost seems vaporware because of this. Also not really sold on the two direction pads. Why not just got with a traditional setup and have the screen flip if you wanna reverse which hand is d-pad?

Lafazar

Colocho said:
True, but a PSP can also play *gasp* PSP games, so it wins by default.

And OpenPandora may be able to emulate PSP, so who wins now? :D

Note that I in no way endorse piracy, I own a PSP and two shelves of PSP games.

http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/pandora-psp-emulator/

r9pixs.png

Oh, and Dreamcast emulation on Pandora may be possible, too:
http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/nulldc-making-rapid-progress-prince-of-persia-agrees

s6mzvm.jpg

1-D_FTW said:
Hasn't the GP2X Wiz kept getting pushed back and back with the release date? Assuming they're not lying and the thing actually is using an OLED screen, I'm really intrigued by it. But it almost seems vaporware because of this. Also not really sold on the two direction pads. Why not just got with a traditional setup and have the screen flip if you wanna reverse which hand is d-pad?

The Wiz should finally be available by the end of April, according to EvilDragon:
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6898&p=82987#p82987

I was considering a Wiz, but it seems to have minor hardware issues that will not be fixed. It seems they are using a screen intended for portrait orientation in landscape orientation. this results in slight tearing unless the programmer uses a fix in his software.

Details here:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=47297

andreweezer said:
Do you own one? I watched a video on youtube of the tv out function with street fighter and it looked pretty choppy, but maybe it was the video.. How is the Dpad? I found that fighters were impossible to play on the 1st ver of the PSP.

No one found fighting games playable on the PSP-1000, so it's no big deal.

On this device (I guess it's going by Chinavision now, but it's been out for a while now as the Dingoo) the d-pad and face buttons are good. It's pretty much on par or a bit below what the DS Lite offers, which isn't the best, but it also isn't the usual crap you find on these types of devices. The shoulder buttons are a bit odd thought and you can really only hit them with the tips of your finger. It's like a mix between a camera button and a normal shoulder button; not bad and again quality-wise like the DS Lite. So, if you can play a fighting game on the DS Lite, it's fine here.

Diablohead said:
I noticed in one of the youtubes, as he pauses the game to quit out one of the menu options was frameskip, kind of tells us there are going to be problems with games if that's there.

Rather cool though, for £55 or so too it's rather cheap.

frame skip is really only required for the SNES / Genesis emulators. It is different from game to game for SNES, but Genesis emulator is borderline unplayable. The problem with the genesis one isn't just the speed, but also how it displays the graphics; it's just a complete mess. Again, there is a speed up to use but I don't have any experience with using it.

and yeah, for the price it's good. It's an <$90 and that's great for what it can do. I mean, it's $100 less than the Wiz, at least half the price of a PSP and probably a fraction of what the Pandora can do. Of course those all do more than this can, but again, it's about your expectations for the device. And the media functionality isn't too shabby either.

1-D_FTW

Lafazar said:
And OpenPandora may be able to emulate PSP, so who wins now? :D

Note that I in no way endorse piracy, I own a PSP and two shelves of PSP games.

http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/pandora-psp-emulator/

r9pixs.png

Oh, and Dreamcast emulation on Pandora may be possible, too:
http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/nulldc-making-rapid-progress-prince-of-persia-agrees

s6mzvm.jpg

The Wiz should finally be available by the end of April, according to EvilDragon:
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6898&p=82987#p82987

I was considering a Wiz, but it seems to have minor hardware issues that will not be fixed. It seems they are using a screen intended for portrait orientation in landscape orientation. this results in slight tearing unless the programmer uses a fix in his software.

Details here:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=47297

Seems like a pretty major issue. Ouch. Between that and the double d-pad, I think I'll cross it off my list.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
All I want is a handheld that will let me play NES games with great emulation. Meaning no slowdown or audio issues. Someone tell me what to buy.

Top Bottom