• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #26 - "In a Flash"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DumbNameD

Theme - "In a Flash"

Word Limit: 1600

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, 4/22 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, 4/23, and goes until Saturday, 4/25 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Everybody Makes It Out
Avoid killing any of your characters.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

The Entries:

AlternativeUlster - "On, On, On"
Gattsu25 – “Lebab”
Timedog – “Liquid Fix”
nitewulf – “Contentment a la Zen, part Deux”
viciouskillersquirrel – “Sharing the happy news”
RurouniZel – “The Flash Army”
ZephyrFate – “Ukelele Woman”
Aaron – “Tagman”
Scribble – “Three’s a Traffic Jam”
Cyan – “Stranger”
Ward – “The Killer Phantom Turtles”
mercviper – “Freedom Foreseen”
ronito - "Titan's Shot"

Xater

The theme is cool and then I saw the secondary objective and had to laugh. Probably killed a few ideas right away. :lol

I really want to participate this time. I hope I have time and can come up with someting :/

Cyan

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Why can't it be everyone make out? Oh well, I think that is what I am going to do anyways.
That was what I first read it as. :D I'm kind of tempted as well. Especially with all the flashing that can be going on at the same time.

ronito

Botolf said:
He killed them all!

But they were puppets.
As he slipped into madness
and he was all alone!
But the voices persisted!
Then he killed himself.

There we've got the cliche entries out of the way.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
"On, On, On"
word count: 1600

Cast of Characters:

The Men:
Christopher - Me

A Partial List of Girls that I Have Slept with that are going to be in this story:
Kara - The first girl I have slept with, sort of has a pig face
Karen - My first proper girlfriend from 9 years ago, still loves me sadly, and she is Puerto Rican. She used to stalk me also.
Lisa - Works at an abortion clinic, has gotten horribly fat since I have dated her. Used to wet the bed all the time but denied doing it. If I had sex with her for more than 10 minutes, it would hurt her vagina.
Rachel #1 - Anorexic, had a nice feeling vagina, still works at a Wal-Mart
Victoria - Cute Chinese girl I used to date but the time we had sex was quite terrible
Anne - Got hotter after I dumped her, looks like a cuter version of the My Big Fat Greek Wedding girl
Robyn - Ex fiancé, looks an anime girlfriend (not so hot but not so ugly either), is batshit, smokes pot all day now, and doesn’t even acknowledged we dated
Shannon - Sister to one of my old friends, still flirts with me 5 years after the fact on a chatting program and cries often about her life.
Mary - Used to like me a lot, stopped fucking her after she had a huge pimple between her breasts, is now a lesbian.
Jennifer - Looks like a sloth version of Lady Gaga, fell asleep on top of me while having sex, laughs way too hard during the Cosby show, later says it was rape after finding out I had slept with like 20 girls, she did the same thing to 2 other friends and we started a motorcycle gang called “Gotcha Bitch” which was going to be embroidered on pink leather jackets but only one of us got a motorcycle.
Kat - A Suicide Girl, massive tits, in and out of insane asylums, had anal with her a lot.
Libby - Dated her because she looked like Robyn, never properly had sex but I did cum all over her leg while we were dry humping each other. I count it because it wasn’t premature and I am pretty sure she got off too.
Rachel #2 - Short, small, and tart, we often had many sex adventures behind her future husband’s back for 6 months.
Jackie - I was way drunk and blacked out before I remember having sex with her but she insisted we did. She looked like a female version of the little boy from Squid and the Whale.
Jessica - I used to flirt with this girl when I worked at a dog food plant even though she was sort of fat. Oldest girl I had ever slept with, I think she was 40. Had rape fantasies.
Ashley - I think her name was Ashley but she worked counter for a hair stylist. She was very ghostly and was very fearful of getting pregnant since I don’t like using condoms. Was way into spanking and getting caught having sex in public parks.
Lauren #1 - I think her name was Lauren but I am not sure. My sister said she was packing hot dogs because she was sort of chubby and was wearing a tight shirt when I met her. It was a one night stand and later on I found out that she too was a lesbian but she subscribed to my blog for whatever reason.
Leslie - She is a trap for whenever I visit home because she has this radar of knowing where I am at when I am drunk and will take advantage of me. Asshole. One time she told me she had feelings for me in bed and I farted.
Galenea - I could never spell her name right. Good friends with Leslie and a girl I liked named Shelly. She worked at an Outback or something like that. I was drunk when I first hit on her. She has since lost weight and gotten way more attractive.
Joey - Jewish and ran a successful business (surprise!) for music promotion. We did a lot of coke together. It was always casual and she is a sweetheart.
Lauren #2 - She works for Joey but I don’t think the both of them know that I had slept with both of them. She is also a sweetheart whom I had casual sex with before I moved to Austin. Her heart was broken when I returned with a girl though.
Stephanie - A pleasant girl whom I had a lot of chemistry with. She was a rebound for my second fiancé who I actually never had sex with. When she went on vacation to Paris, I started to date another girl though and didn’t tell her about it but I am pretty sure her cousins told her about it. She still talks to me more than I ever think she would.
Meghan - I made a list of girls I have slept about 6 months ago and have been updating it but I am drawing a blank on this girl. I think she is blonde.
Helen - Random started to chat with me on OkCupid and wanted to have sex at 3 in the morning. Went over to her house and we had sex. She has a racist panda tattoo that says, “Hirro.”
Kristen - Reclusive but like me in many ways but when I was younger. Into making children’s art and has too many pets. Has a nice ass that I sometimes still dream about since I left Austin. Had a boyfriend and dumped him because she was cheating on him with me and would cry about it.
Sarah - One of my longest relationships, we fucked a lot and had a lot of dirty sex. Figured out with her how to convince every girl to have unprotected sex with you. Broke up with her because she was Mad TV funny.
Eva - Had sex with her after 10 minutes of meeting her, met her at a strip club in Philadelphia, and she wasn’t a dancer. Forgot my name in the morning. We just broke up a week ago. Has good taste but sort of looks like my mother.
Whitney - Was really annoying and she looked like the bird lady from Kids in the Hall. We had bad sex behind her boyfriend’s back. They said they had an open relationship but it wasn’t really that open. Oh well.
Audrey - She was probably one of the most mature girls I have ever dated even though she was 10 years younger than me. The legal age of consent in Texas is 17 so we had sex a week before her 17th. I end up sleeping with Kristen while we were dating.
Annie #1 - A burlesque dancer who was also into rape fantasies. One time we had sex in front of twenty people. One of her friend’s masturbated to us. It was sort of weird.
Annie #2 - A comic book nerd and was best friends to my 2nd ex-fiancé. I forgot that she was when we fooled around but she reminded me in the morning and that scared me away. She started to date this one guy who was often intimidated by me because we fooled around that one time.
Manelle - French Moroccan girl who was pretty cute but gets around. Sloppy shitty sex but was the best type of asshole so we keep in touch. I just never want to fuck her again.
Camille - Art superstar and we one time fucked at an Laundromat. I was still in love with another girl and I fucked her over. She is married now I believe.
Bonnie - Used to date an old friend of mine but he sort of turned into a douche bag so I started to sleep with his ex girlfriend. Very beautiful lady and on the drive to see her since their break-up, I masturbated 3 times so that I wouldn’t be tempted to sleep with her but we end up having sex 7 times in a 24 hour span with me cumming every time. I have never had sex that many times before in my life.
Daniela - Another lesbian that I had slept with. She was a vegan and was impressed that I could get her to orgasm because no one else could. She had curtains in her vagina.
Kate - Used to be a gentleman caller but I didn’t know that before we had sex. We had been friends for a long time and to this day, the only friend I had ever slept with. She would refuse to kiss me though and wouldn’t sleep in the same bed with me afterwards.
Plus 20 others that I don’t have the word count to provide.

The story:
“Hey ladies,” I speak openly to a large group of women I had slept with, “I guess I should tell you that it burns when I urinate and has been since I had slept with Kara and she was the first. All of you might have Chlamydia now. Sorry dudes.”
The girls then lined up to give me a hand job and I end up cumming all over some girl’s face and hands and feet. I don’t remember which one though. They made out with whoever it was so that they could all taste my cum.

The end.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
AlternativeUlster said:
"On, On, On"
word count: 1600

Cast of Characters:

The Men:
Christopher - Me

A Partial List of Girls that I Have Slept with that are going to be in this story:
Kara - The first girl I have slept with, sort of has a pig face
Karen - My first proper girlfriend from 9 years ago, still loves me sadly, and she is Puerto Rican. She used to stalk me also.
Lisa - Works at an abortion clinic, has gotten horribly fat since I have dated her. Used to wet the bed all the time but denied doing it. If I had sex with her for more than 10 minutes, it would hurt her vagina.
Rachel #1 - Anorexic, had a nice feeling vagina, still works at a Wal-Mart
Victoria - Cute Chinese girl I used to date but the time we had sex was quite terrible
Anne - Got hotter after I dumped her, looks like a cuter version of the My Big Fat Greek Wedding girl
Robyn - Ex fiancé, looks an anime girlfriend (not so hot but not so ugly either), is batshit, smokes pot all day now, and doesn’t even acknowledged we dated
Shannon - Sister to one of my old friends, still flirts with me 5 years after the fact on a chatting program and cries often about her life.
Mary - Used to like me a lot, stopped fucking her after she had a huge pimple between her breasts, is now a lesbian.
Jennifer - Looks like a sloth version of Lady Gaga, fell asleep on top of me while having sex, laughs way too hard during the Cosby show, later says it was rape after finding out I had slept with like 20 girls, she did the same thing to 2 other friends and we started a motorcycle gang called “Gotcha Bitch” which was going to be embroidered on pink leather jackets but only one of us got a motorcycle.
Kat - A Suicide Girl, massive tits, in and out of insane asylums, had anal with her a lot.
Libby - Dated her because she looked like Robyn, never properly had sex but I did cum all over her leg while we were dry humping each other. I count it because it wasn’t premature and I am pretty sure she got off too.
Rachel #2 - Short, small, and tart, we often had many sex adventures behind her future husband’s back for 6 months.
Jackie - I was way drunk and blacked out before I remember having sex with her but she insisted we did. She looked like a female version of the little boy from Squid and the Whale.
Jessica - I used to flirt with this girl when I worked at a dog food plant even though she was sort of fat. Oldest girl I had ever slept with, I think she was 40. Had rape fantasies.
Ashley - I think her name was Ashley but she worked counter for a hair stylist. She was very ghostly and was very fearful of getting pregnant since I don’t like using condoms. Was way into spanking and getting caught having sex in public parks.
Lauren #1 - I think her name was Lauren but I am not sure. My sister said she was packing hot dogs because she was sort of chubby and was wearing a tight shirt when I met her. It was a one night stand and later on I found out that she too was a lesbian but she subscribed to my blog for whatever reason.
Leslie - She is a trap for whenever I visit home because she has this radar of knowing where I am at when I am drunk and will take advantage of me. Asshole. One time she told me she had feelings for me in bed and I farted.
Galenea - I could never spell her name right. Good friends with Leslie and a girl I liked named Shelly. She worked at an Outback or something like that. I was drunk when I first hit on her. She has since lost weight and gotten way more attractive.
Joey - Jewish and ran a successful business (surprise!) for music promotion. We did a lot of coke together. It was always casual and she is a sweetheart.
Lauren #2 - She works for Joey but I don’t think the both of them know that I had slept with both of them. She is also a sweetheart whom I had casual sex with before I moved to Austin. Her heart was broken when I returned with a girl though.
Stephanie - A pleasant girl whom I had a lot of chemistry with. She was a rebound for my second fiancé who I actually never had sex with. When she went on vacation to Paris, I started to date another girl though and didn’t tell her about it but I am pretty sure her cousins told her about it. She still talks to me more than I ever think she would.
Meghan - I made a list of girls I have slept about 6 months ago and have been updating it but I am drawing a blank on this girl. I think she is blonde.
Helen - Random started to chat with me on OkCupid and wanted to have sex at 3 in the morning. Went over to her house and we had sex. She has a racist panda tattoo that says, “Hirro.”
Kristen - Reclusive but like me in many ways but when I was younger. Into making children’s art and has too many pets. Has a nice ass that I sometimes still dream about since I left Austin. Had a boyfriend and dumped him because she was cheating on him with me and would cry about it.
Sarah - One of my longest relationships, we fucked a lot and had a lot of dirty sex. Figured out with her how to convince every girl to have unprotected sex with you. Broke up with her because she was Mad TV funny.
Eva - Had sex with her after 10 minutes of meeting her, met her at a strip club in Philadelphia, and she wasn’t a dancer. Forgot my name in the morning. We just broke up a week ago. Has good taste but sort of looks like my mother.
Whitney - Was really annoying and she looked like the bird lady from Kids in the Hall. We had bad sex behind her boyfriend’s back. They said they had an open relationship but it wasn’t really that open. Oh well.
Audrey - She was probably one of the most mature girls I have ever dated even though she was 10 years younger than me. The legal age of consent in Texas is 17 so we had sex a week before her 17th. I end up sleeping with Kristen while we were dating.
Annie #1 - A burlesque dancer who was also into rape fantasies. One time we had sex in front of twenty people. One of her friend’s masturbated to us. It was sort of weird.
Annie #2 - A comic book nerd and was best friends to my 2nd ex-fiancé. I forgot that she was when we fooled around but she reminded me in the morning and that scared me away. She started to date this one guy who was often intimidated by me because we fooled around that one time.
Manelle - French Moroccan girl who was pretty cute but gets around. Sloppy shitty sex but was the best type of asshole so we keep in touch. I just never want to fuck her again.
Camille - Art superstar and we one time fucked at an Laundromat. I was still in love with another girl and I fucked her over. She is married now I believe.
Bonnie - Used to date an old friend of mine but he sort of turned into a douche bag so I started to sleep with his ex girlfriend. Very beautiful lady and on the drive to see her since their break-up, I masturbated 3 times so that I wouldn’t be tempted to sleep with her but we end up having sex 7 times in a 24 hour span with me cumming every time. I have never had sex that many times before in my life.
Daniela - Another lesbian that I had slept with. She was a vegan and was impressed that I could get her to orgasm because no one else could. She had curtains in her vagina.
Kate - Used to be a gentleman caller but I didn’t know that before we had sex. We had been friends for a long time and to this day, the only friend I had ever slept with. She would refuse to kiss me though and wouldn’t sleep in the same bed with me afterwards.
Plus 20 others that I don’t have the word count to provide.

The story:
“Hey ladies,” I speak openly to a large group of women I had slept with, “I guess I should tell you that it burns when I urinate and has been since I had slept with Kara and she was the first. All of you might have Chlamydia now. Sorry dudes.”
The girls then lined up to give me a hand job and I end up cumming all over some girl’s face and hands and feet. I don’t remember which one though. They made out with whoever it was so that they could all taste my cum.

The end.

Yep. YEP!

Okay, i know I slob on ulsters knob all the time, but whatever, this is the best thing I've read in any of these challenges.

AlternativeUlster

Timedog said:
Yep. YEP!

Okay, i know I slob on ulsters knob all the time, but whatever, this is the best thing I've read in any of these challenges.

:lol Thanks dude. The cast of characters is actually a true story by the way.

Gattsu25

Banned
Lebab (167 words)

He stood at the cusp of existence and beheld the dark. The void that signified the end of all existence.

At first, he was unaware why the platform ceased to extend further but now, in its own way, it had come to make sense. He stood at the end of the platform and raised his hand toward the deep and in response the void took on a milky hue. Like the sun rising behind a veil of the morning’s fog, the light focused toward a point. Slowly a shape, like unto a man that walked toward him, gained form. A gasp escaped from his throat entirely of his own volition and he collapsed to his knees in the presence of the approaching figure.

The shining light, with the build of a man and the height of many towers, considered him then and a thunderous voice resounded throughout all of the firmament, “Do not be afraid. Come and walk with me.”

He walked then.

ronito said:
As he slipped into madness
and he was all alone!
But the voices persisted!
Then he killed himself.

There we've got the cliche entries out of the way.
Well, now what am I supposed to write?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think I give too much of a shit what people on here think. I'm writing a piece (to be posted shortly), and I noticed myself changing a bunch of shit because I was like "will people on Neogaf know wtf i'm talking about, or 'get it'?", which I think is not productive, at least for what I was originally trying to going for in these challenges. I've been doing this too much lately. So you may see more abstract entries from me in the future, depending on if my ideas support it. I'm okay with getting last place, and feel free to tear my shit to shreds, guys.

I'm also very drunk and I like women that are either very tall or very short. I like tall women with light brown hair, or short women with dark brown or black hair. I secretly wish I could be gothic but I was cursed (at least if you believe in mormonism) with dark skin, so I can't get that pale victorian thing happening. Also I sent GAF mod Iapetus(isn't that some greek god or something?) a PM challenging him to a duel, I really hope he accepts :lol

Nothing ever happened to me.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Liquid Fix
Word Count: 1299

Lately I’ve been very interested in the idea of killing a man with my bare hands. Really, my biggest impediment is in deciding who I might want to kill. Surely, killing someone with your bare hands is quite a terrible act, but surely, I should be able to find a person terrible enough to make my fucking wildest dreams come true. Who would I kill?

Jamiroquai, the douchebag in the fuzzy hat who comes and tries to get me to switch from cable to satellite tv every fucking 2 months. How the does his boss allow him to wear that thing? Every single time he spouts the exact same canned lines, as if he’s never seen me before. Nobody would ever miss a nobody like that. I can’t imagine a loser like that with a wife and kids. Maybe I’ll kill him, x him out of the gene pool. This is how I do it: I ask him the same question I ask him every time he shows his no good face around my property—“what are the advantages of Direct TV vs. Comcast?” It is almost a weakness of mine, an addiction, listening to the droll speech of this incompetent goon. He gives me the same canned response that I’ve heard probably a dozen times. I invite him in, as always, and the same progression of events take place, ending in me choking him from the rear and holding a wet rag to his face until he falls limp in my arms. Come on, you know exactly what is on the rag. I then experiment on his living unconscious body with water torture until his heart fails beating. The same thing over and over, it’s like virtual insanity. The weak don’t deserve the same air that fills my trained and efficient lungs. Free my mind, sir Jamiroquai of endless loserdom.

My high school coach, Gary—the type of guy who never really made it and because of it, lives a life of regret. “Rotate faster!” he’d scream at us in some faux menacing tone while wearing some god-awful western hat. Coaxing us into frenzy from below as if the words of a rotund do-nothing prick were some sort of gospel. Gary taught me a lot of bad habits, and had I actually listened to him I would probably be in the same position he’s in. I don’t need to listen to anyone. I drown out every voice except the one in my head that propels me forward again and again downward into unknown territory. You’re probably thinking that Gary seems mostly harmless, and you’re probably right. However, I cannot accept any power that this man has over me. He put stock in me, in a really weird vicarious sort of way, like I could fix what was wrong with him. When I put the plastic bag over his head he realizes the insignificance of the little world he has built around me, for a few fleeting seconds everything is fixed. Cowboy take me away.

“Same Dong” or whatever-the-shit his name is that owns the Vietnamese diner near my parents’ house. Motherfucker has been here 30 years and he’s still pretending like he’s fresh off the boat. I’ve never told anyone that Same Dong knows perfect English, or how I found out about it. When I was in 2nd grade my dog Chester ran away. God-fucking-shit, he was a cool fucking dog. I cried and prayed every night before I went to bed, hoping he would come back. Three days later I was playing baseball in a park near Dong’s residence. Outfield. Mike P. hit the ball probably farther than anyone else in the second grade ever had, but I’m not quite sure about that as I never played baseball again. As you’ve probably gathered, the ball rolled inexplicably into Big Dong’s yard, and as you’ve also probably gathered, on my trek to find the ball I looked into the window of his garage and saw Chester strung from the support beam with a bucket below him filled with his drained fluids, surrounded by a boy and a man. Dong was teaching his 8 year old son how to properly skin a dog. In perfect English. I could have drown in the tears I shed that day, just like I’ll make Larger Dong drown in his own blood and piss. I hang him up upside down, half-dead, from a tree on my rather expansive property, and watch as his innards casually spill from his midsection into a pool in the dirt. I search the cavernous abyss that was his abdomen, and I reach deep down behind his ribs--whats that, did I just touch his tra la la? I find his weakly beating heart and squeeze it as hard as I can until I hear a distinct pop. As his eyes roll into the back of his head and he loses consciousness he comes to realize that I am in every way superior to him. Again and again and again he realizes before eventually falling from the tree to the earth, dead. Knowing him as well as I do, I’m pretty sure he died a happy man. He was felled by a man more powerful than he. Ding ding Mr. dong, your time's up.

This is for all the baseball games I never got to play. This is for pretending my pet dog went missing, and then ruthlessly killing it in front of me while tears streamed down my face. This is for all the afternoons forced practicing and becoming proficient at my craft. Things lesser than you don’t deserve to see the light of day, isn’t that right, Mr. Dong? I’m the fucking best. I’m inordinately superior, and you do not fuck with your superiors, Mr. Dong. Today he’s the one who’ll die. Today of all days it’s really gotta count.

After the killing, I’m gone. This is like drugs, probably. My mind is blank. I’m telling you right now that I just don't give a fuck. Nothing. I look up and see clear blue skies. I’m not in control anymore. I’m open for whatever-the-hell. Whatever limitless possibilities lie at the bottom of the ledge I’m looking over. It’s a pretty big fall but I’ve been lower. Everything is clear now. I feel perfect, like my body is utilizing the oxygen/nitrogen mixture intake of my lungs to perfect efficiency. Now it’s blue skies or the murky depths.

Falling, falling, falling. I hit. Am I dead? This pavement feels like gelatin. Wet. My body sinks completely in and as the last inch of my toes exit the domain of air, I feel a distinct and perfect ripple dance across the surface, followed by a piercing cacophony of human-like, guttural sound. The world unknowingly applauds death. My death, or Mr. Dong's, I’m not really sure. I’m not even sure if there’s a difference.

In the depths I am shielded. From this dark womb I am reborn. I emerge to the surface once again, and re-enter the world of men, fatherless in the world of fathers, the same way I’ve done so over and over and over again from before I could remember. Killing to forget. Despite what people might believe from their view of the act that took place today, I don’t do it for notoriety. I don’t do it for the history books. I don’t do it for money. I do it because I have to do it.

I’m a professional diver and today I’ve reached gold.

Damn, it hasn't even been 24 hours and we've already got three submissions. That's incredible. Good work, guys.

And Timedog, just write what you want. We'll either get it or we won't. And you'll either make it clear enough, or you won't. It's all well and good to think about what other people want out of your work, but if you keep doing that you'll lose what makes you as a writer you. Which is what I think is a negative side of creative writing classes.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
crowphoenix said:
Damn, it hasn't even been 24 hours and we've already got three submissions. That's incredible. Good work, guys.

And Timedog, just write what you want. We'll either get it or we won't. And you'll either make it clear enough, or you won't. It's all well and good to think about what other people want out of your work, but if you keep doing that you'll lose what makes you as a writer you. Which is what I think is a negative side of creative writing classes.

THX, Crowdog.

Cyan

Banned
Timedog said:
I think I give too much of a shit what people on here think. I'm writing a piece (to be posted shortly), and I noticed myself changing a bunch of shit because I was like "will people on Neogaf know wtf i'm talking about, or 'get it'?", which I think is not productive, at least for what I was originally trying to going for in these challenges. I've been doing this too much lately. So you may see more abstract entries from me in the future, depending on if my ideas support it. I'm okay with getting last place, and feel free to tear my shit to shreds, guys.
I'm kind of torn on this issue. I don't think it's a bad thing to take other people's critiques of your writing into account (otherwise what's the point of even getting them), but you also don't want to let them dictate your style--these challenges would be boring as shit if we all wrote the same way, about the same stuff. Making some changes because you thought people here might not get it kind of straddles the line, but if you decided that was too close to letting other people dictate your style, then that's probably the right answer for you. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with experimenting with other styles of writing, and then absorbing what you like into your writing tool set.

If I wrote closer to GAF expectations, I think my stories would have fewer happy endings. ;)

Cyan said:
If I wrote closer to GAF expectations, I think my stories would have fewer happy endings. ;)
My first writing professor absolutely hated a happy ending. So, once I'd secured at least a B, I wrote her a Christmas Story about a surly janitor and little boy watching his dying baby brother. I'll never forget her comment.

"But what would the boy have learned if the child had died?"

ronito

Cyan said:
I'm kind of torn on this issue. I don't think it's a bad thing to take other people's critiques of your writing into account (otherwise what's the point of even getting them), but you also don't want to let them dictate your style--these challenges would be boring as shit if we all wrote the same way, about the same stuff. Making some changes because you thought people here might not get it kind of straddles the line, but if you decided that was too close to letting other people dictate your style, then that's probably the right answer for you. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with experimenting with other styles of writing, and then absorbing what you like into your writing tool set.

This is something that's been bugging me lately, so I'm going to rant.

I remember when I was still majoring in guitar and I played this piece that was very cool and modern but no one got it. I remember going to my professor and complaining about the audience and how stupid they were. What he said stuck with me through the rest of my life:

"It's a poor musician that first blames his audience."

I went back to that piece of music and completely re-worked my interpretation. My next concert I had people coming up to me asking more about that piece, sure most of the audience still didn't get it but the ones that bothered to listen really liked what I had done.

I try to apply it to everything, my writing as well. I've had pieces that I've submitted and thought they were rather good to have it not garner any votes or get feedback that I didn't agree with. Then I stopped to really think, and every time the fault was with me and I took those lessons in and tried to make myself better, that's what these things are for.

I'll agree that you don't want to sell out and do what everyone else is saying, heaven knows we don't need more stories about people dying, going mad, committing suicide, taverns, murder, etc. Neither are you beholden to do what people expect. But I do think that these exist to better ourselves and I feel as far as feedback goes most of it is rather fair and the readers are as well, so you gotta give them credit for that. It's not like people are like "This isn't like Harry potter or Twilight, so it sucks!" In the end Penny Arcade put it best.

20040324h.jpg

That's why I'm urging Timedog to write from himself.

See, this is something I find myself struggling with. Back when I was in my creative writing classes, I learned pretty quickly not to write what I wanted. When I wrote that which I wanted to hear,wanted to read, wanted to think about, I was told time and again that it was cliche, saccharine, or just stupid. Pretty quickly, I learned that staying true to myself would not earn me an A. So, I wrote what my teachers wanted and rarely bucked that.

Because of that, I lost connection with what made me tick as a writer, so much so that I spend most of my time worrying about whether a topic is cliche or or stupid or childish, to which you've seen doesn't work too well.

So, what I'm hoping, is that rather than following the path I did, which is replacing the me with the wishes of the group, Timedog will do like what it seems you did, Ronito. To take the part of him that makes him tick and slowly bring it to us.

ronito

crowphoenix said:

See, this is something I find myself struggling with. Back when I was in my creative writing classes, I learned pretty quickly not to write what I wanted. When I wrote that which I wanted to hear,wanted to read, wanted to think about, I was told time and again that it was cliche, saccharine, or just stupid. Pretty quickly, I learned that staying true to myself would not earn me an A. So, I wrote what my teachers wanted and rarely bucked that.

Because of that, I lost connection with what made me tick as a writer, so much so that I spend most of my time worrying about whether a topic is cliche or or stupid or childish, to which you've seen doesn't work too well.

So, what I'm hoping, is that rather than following the path I did, which is replacing the me with the wishes of the group, Timedog will do like what it seems you did, Ronito. To take the part of him that makes him tick and slowly bring it to us.
True, my whole point is that you can be true to yourself and still listen to feedback. I've dealt with too many crappy guitarists that brush off any criticism as "just not understanding" these have always just stayed in the same place and stagnated and the only people that want to hear them play is themselves.

Just like that whole piece thing, I didn't go back and think, "How do I play this so an audience would like it?" I thought, "How did I play this that the audience didn't like it." That brought up a slew of childish and stupid things I was doing. When I really looked at it and listened with an open mind I found deep flaws in my interpretation. Now in the end I ended up revamping my interpretation and making it better without "selling out" but by listening I found what I had done wrong. In the end I was still true to myself, but better because I took to heart that perhaps it was me and not them. This isn't always the case, of course, but still.

Cyan

Banned
ronito said:
This is awesome advice.

And again, I think there's a lot of value in listening to what other people have to say about your writing, etc. That's why I love the secondary objectives--it's great to try out things that other people think are worth doing, and see how they work for you.

What I'm wary of is what crow talked about above--being essentially bullied or just pushed into writing in a specific way. I'd think that's less of a concern here than in a formal class situation, since none of us have any authority over the others.

In Timedog's case, it's not entirely clear which side of that divide this falls on. Frankly, I'd much prefer to see more accessible stories from him, so I can get something out of them. But really, what he(/us) should be asking himself isn't "should I change this so GAF will like it" vs "should I not change it because it's the real me", but "will this change improve the story."

Edit:
ronito said:
Just like that whole piece thing, I didn't go back and think, "How do I play this so an audience would like it?" I thought, "How did I play this that the audience didn't like it." That brought up a slew of childish and stupid things I was doing. When I really looked at it and listened with an open mind I found deep flaws in my interpretation. Now in the end I ended up revamping my interpretation and making it better without "selling out" but by listening I found what I had done wrong. In the end I was still true to myself, but better because I took to heart that it was my failure and not theirs.
Nicely put.

ronito said:
True, my whole point is that you can be true to yourself and still listen to feedback. I've dealt with too many crappy guitarists that brush off any criticism as "just not understanding" these have always just stayed in the same place and stagnated and the only people that want to hear them play is themselves.

Just like that whole piece thing, I didn't go back and think, "How do I play this so an audience would like it?" I thought, "How did I play this that the audience didn't like it." That brought up a slew of childish and stupid things I was doing. When I really looked at it and listened with an open mind I found deep flaws in my interpretation. Now in the end I ended up revamping my interpretation and making it better without "selling out" but by listening I found what I had done wrong. In the end I was still true to myself, but better because I took to heart that perhaps it was me and not them. This isn't always the case, of course, but still.
Very few things are perfect 100% of the time, so I think that's good advice. And luckily, like Cyan pointed out, we're a diverse enough group that it'll be hard to feel bullied into a writing style.

Even so, I think it's important that everyone try to remain true to themselves and work from there. Just seeing all the varying styles of writing will help us bit by bit in the long run.

And, I do want to make clear that I'm not arguing against criticism. I'm very thankful for it, and have been trying to take it to heart even if I seem to always make the same mistakes.

AlternativeUlster

Timedawg, fuck what everone else is going to think about it. I am not changing the way I write at all whenever says something they don't like it. If you want to make something that no one else will get but you, why not make it? It is better than people trying to create pain they have never experienced.

Cyan

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
I am not changing the way I write at all whenever says something they don't like it.
I've asked this before, but does this mean you just ignore our comments on your writing? Because honestly, if you don't care one way or the other, I'll probably stop bothering. Yours are tough enough to pin down that I'm not sure I've ever told you anything useful to begin with.

Nothing against your writing style, but it's hard as hell to come up with any critiques of your stuff in the first place.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Cyan said:

Nah, why do you think I keep voting you?

Cyan said:
But really, what he(/us) should be asking himself isn't "should I change this so GAF will like it" vs "should I not change it because it's the real me", but "will this change improve the story."

This is the best advice here.

crowphoenix said:
My first writing professor absolutely hated a happy ending. So, once I'd secured at least a B, I wrote her a Christmas Story about a surly janitor and little boy watching his dying baby brother. I'll never forget her comment.

"But what would the boy have learned if the child had died?"

Sounds like a crazy-ass bitch. Was she hot?

ronito said:

N/A. What I'm saying is that if it sucks and I'm doing something productive and learning things, that's better than if it doesn't suck and I'm just going through the motions.

ronito said:

That cat looks fucking sweet.

crowphoenix said:

Yeah, fuck yeah.

ronito said:
Just like that whole piece thing, I didn't go back and think, "How do I play this so an audience would like it?" I thought, "How did I play this that the audience didn't like it."

Yeah I like this. Shit like this gets me hard.

AlternativeUlster said:
Timedawg, fuck what everone else is going to think about it. I am not changing the way I write at all whenever says something they don't like it. If you want to make something that no one else will get but you, why not make it? It is better than people trying to create pain they have never experienced.

Yeah. I'm hope I'm don't lose my head.

EDIT: my idea to have Cyan or Ulster chose which story I submit is not me trying to sell out to GAF. I might do it again this challenge. If you think it's unfair and like me getting to have the best of 2 entries you can flip a coin in order to decide.

ronito

Cyan said:
I've asked this before, but does this mean you just ignore our comments on your writing? Because honestly, if you don't care one way or the other, I'll probably stop bothering. Yours are tough enough to pin down that I'm not sure I've ever told you anything useful to begin with.

Nothing against your writing style, but it's hard as hell to come up with any critiques of your stuff in the first place.
No offense but I agree with this. If you don't care what I've got to say then can I just skip your critique? When I'm not snarking sometimes it's difficult to come up with feedback, certainly more time than just reading it.

ronito

Timedog said:
Also, what is the problem with entries being dark? I don't understand.
Not dark. I don't mind that. Just the whole thing with a piece saying "They found x's body three days later." or "He killed everyone in the room....because he was....INSANE THIS WHOLE TIME!!" is a bit overdone. EVERYONE'S done it. Hell, I've done it in these challenges. TWICE. It's a dance we all know.

I like dark things. But dark things done well (Malugo, De La Cruz others). Not cliche dark.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ulster - "No, No...No!!!": I like how the author gives a lot up. The "voice" is one that doesn't give a fuck, but is completely honest about it.

Gattsu25 - "Babel": It sounded like that "Footsteps" jesus poster, but without a real point. There doesn't always need to be a point, but it's too short to be a piece based around cool description, although there are some cool descriptions present.

Timedog - "Liquid Markets": ... ??? !!!

AlternativeUlster

Cyan said:

Oh no, I still read them. I wouldn't even bother sharing them if I didn't want to see people's reactions to them. It is just highly unlikely that I will take someone's criticism in account of my writing for I write how I talk and I think it just makes me unaccessible which I am fine with. I would rather be someone that like 10 people think is the best thing ever and 90 people think what I write is trash than 100 people thinking I am good but not great.

The thing about writing dark TimeDog is that you need to go all the way at this point. Go beyond your comfort. Like talking about your mother raping your sister with a gutting knife and the cold distorted details of the vagina being cut up like roast beef at a butcher. It is more than gore though and more about how evil a character can be. You also need to show the pathicness of the victims. The greatest thing about this movie I have seen recently called the Honeymoon Killers wasn't even really about the way they killed their victims but the way they were desperate to keep on living and how lost they were because they were dying and it was a new sensation to them and that sensation was scaring them. Evil is more than evil at hand. There is a entire world surrounding it that needs to be explored.

Sibylus

Banned
Someday, I'm going to write something weird and kitschy about a serial killer who plugs his torture victims' open wounds with vibrating egg timers.

"Your time... is almost up!"

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Emo Laser
Word Count: 275

I'm sorry it was such a turn off when I started telling you my ideas about lasers :/

Now where do we go with the conversation? How does one proceed on to a different subject easily and naturally after talking about lasers? I don't think you can. Lasers will fuck you over in that respect. It happens every single time. Take caution not to discuss lasers with anyone unless you know that person well enough to weather that awkward silence that almost assuredly will come after the subject ceases to interest both parties. At some point one person WILL lose interest. It could be after a long discourse, an exchange of philosophical ideas on lasers, leading to a profound new sense of not only the immediate relevancy of the topic, but the uneasy feeling between both parties that their views on the subject are EXACTLY the same, or conversely, the uneasy feeling that their individualistic views on the subject sharply contrast. It could also come after a brief but refreshing delve into some of the subjects more lightweight postulations. Or more likely, the uneasy silence could come the moment I open my mouth, the time it takes for my vocal chords to cause that first disruption air molecules. The time it takes for the energy originating in my throat to swallow the distance between us and penetrate the inner-workings of your admittedly beautiful ear. The speed of sound- the rate at which hearts are broken and burned forever are imprints of resentment and self doubt.

.....And to think, all I ever wanted to do was tell you all of this information I have about lasers.

AlternativeUlster

Timedog said:
Emo Laser
Word Count: 275

I'm sorry it was such a turn off when I started telling you my ideas about lasers :/

Now where do we go with the conversation? How does one proceed on to a different subject easily and naturally after talking about lasers? I don't think you can. Lasers will fuck you over in that respect. It happens every single time. Take caution not to discuss lasers with anyone unless you know that person well enough to weather that awkward silence that almost assuredly will come after the subject ceases to interest both parties. At some point one person WILL lose interest. It could be after a long discourse, an exchange of philosophical ideas on lasers, leading to a profound new sense of not only the immediate relevancy of the topic, but the uneasy feeling between both parties that their views on the subject are EXACTLY the same, or conversely, the uneasy feeling that their individualistic views on the subject sharply contrast. It could also come after a brief but refreshing delve into some of the subjects more lightweight postulations. Or more likely, the uneasy silence could come the moment I open my mouth, the time it takes for my vocal chords to cause that first disruption air molecules. The time it takes for the energy originating in my throat to swallow the distance between us and penetrate the inner-workings of your admittedly beautiful ear. The speed of sound- the rate at which hearts are broken and burned forever are imprints of resentment and self doubt.

.....And to think, all I ever wanted to do was tell you all of this information I have about lasers.

:lol :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Timedog - "Emulazor": There's a line in the middle where the piece starts to get dull. The second to last line is sort of faux clever. If this is supposed to be satire then it's pretty good, but i'm not quite sure.

Well, we had about a weeks worth of conversation yesterday, which was great.

I think I've got a bit of an idea too. I wonder how it's going to pan out.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
reminds me, when I write something like "but he wasn't listening to that bitch, he was probably thinking about lasers or some shit", what do you guys think when you read a line like that?

I feel like people are trying to be too nice, which I part of why I started "the bottom 3" in the voting.

Scribble

Timedog said:
reminds me, when I write something like "but he wasn't listening to that bitch, he was probably thinking about lasers or some shit", what do you guys think when you read a line like that?

I feel like people are trying to be too nice, which I part of why I started "the bottom 3" in the voting.

Too nice to you, or too nice to everyone in general?

I think the crits are fair/honest. There's no need to be an absolute dickhead about things when offering feedback (Well, unless it's obvious that the person didn't make much of an effort). Overwhelmingly positive feedback here is few and far between.

I like making sure I include at least something positive in my critiques. Not everyone is going to assume they aren't awful unless they are told so. And as this is about fostering stronger writers, I believe a little encouragement will help the process. Especially when paired with 'harder hitting' critiques.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If someone thinks what I wrote is awful I don't want any encouragement. I also think that joke critiques are a copout. I want to hear about why they thought it was awful. I think there's a lot of satirical elements that maybe i'm not making obvious enough.

I don't think I've ever joked with a critique. The worst I've done is say that I didn't get it. I also think there is always something positive in a story that validates its existance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom