• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 on JPN PSN Information Compendium

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Speevy made this quick guide for Japanese PS1 games.

I hope it helps. Will update the OP according to new releases as time permits.

Let me explain the categories.

Genre is self-explanatory. I perhaps got a little more specific than I should have, but I want you to know exactly what to expect when you grab one of these games.

Playability is not a review score. It's how I think the average player will find this game years after the fact.

1-2.75 means you probably shouldn't bother.
3-3.5 means decent but flawed experiences. Perhaps the game has slight control issues or maybe it's showing its age.
3.75 means the game is unique enough to warrant play time despite any shortcomings.
4 and above are good to great, definitely worth adding to your PSN library

Readability refers to the ability to play the game if you can't read any Japanese, which applies to many of us.

Difficult means the language barrier dramatically effects gameplay progression to the point where figuring out the simplest menus and instructions can become frustrating. These games might be great, but a guide is necessary to get through them. For example, My Hot Cooking's recipes.

Moderate means there is a significant amount of Japanese text/voice within the game, but you can still progress despite that barrier. Games which allow you to easily select the first menu and skip past the Japanese story segments fall into this category. The use of Japanese is definitely noticeable, but offers a minimal detraction from the English speaker's enjoyment. For examples, the story segments in Magical Drop F.

Easy means there is either a large amount of English text or very little text at all relating to your gameplay instructions. Games falling within this category are straighforward for both Japanese and English speakers to play.

Visuals relate to how these games stand the test of time. Many PSX games are just hard on the eyes, and Playstation-era 3D is an unfortunate example of this.

1-2.75 - Poor visuals, distracting to the user.
3-3.75 - Decent, maybe not remarkable, but gets the job done. Could be high production values for the time.
4-5 - Good to exemplary, graphics in this category are clean and crisp enough.

Description is just a short but fun few words about the game. What I'm trying to convey here is what you can expect with the game, and if there's room, I added a note about its quality. My impressions of these games are by no means the definitive ones, but you should at least have some idea of how the game is.

NA/PAL Version is a new category I added specifically to let players know whether a North American or PAL version exists. This doesn't mean there is a NA or PAL version on the store already, but it does mean one is possible. I also added an asterisk to games with a version on the NA or PAL Playstation Store. Hopefully this will help you decide whether to invest in a Japanese PSN ticket or wait for your region's store to come around.

psn1.JPG

psn2.JPG

psn3.JPG

psn4.JPG

psn5.JPG

psn6.JPG

psn7.JPG

psn8.JPG

psn9.JPG

psn10.JPG

psn11.JPG

Thanks to contributions by - SiegfriedFM, Bootaaay, Grayman

If anyone wants to make any contributions please PM Speevy or me. Suggestions are welcome.

LiquidMetal14

oneHeero said:
What kind of pleasing are we looking at here?

Very nice work though
I am merely the messenger. Speevy did everything :)

And I just noticed the typo :lol :lol :lol

I accidentaly found a free PS1 game on JP store, it's called XI, do I have to be under my JP account in order to be able to play it?

LiquidMetal14

AranhaHunter said:
I accidentaly found a free PS1 game on JP store, it's called XI, do I have to be under my JP account in order to be able to play it?
No, this is sharable as part of your main account. So if the JPN is 1, then you would be the second beneficiary to that accounts content. You would have 3 shares left. It will work on your system as long as the user is registered to your system.

lupinko

AranhaHunter said:

That is a demo of said game, and Xi is Devil Dice.

Speevy

Banned
I accidentally the whole PSN. Thanks Liquid.

I will try to make this better and more informative as time goes on, but I think the tl;dr crowd deserves a simple solution first and foremost.

Zoe

LiquidMetal14 said:
No, this is sharable as part of your main account. So if the JPN is 1, then you would be the second beneficiary to that accounts content. You would have 3 shares left. It will work on your system as long as the user is registered to your system.

Wait, what? It's by system, so if the JPN account is on your original system, you'll still have 4 shares left. Otherwise people with several accounts on their PS3's would be screwed.

Speevy

Banned
First thing I'm going to do is Wiki the entire list, but I'm conflicted because I don't want there to be a wall of text in the main post.

I just screen captured the oriiginal Excel file but I still have it if anyone has a better way to present it.

A link to Wikipedia might work as well. Tell me what you think, guys.

LiquidMetal14

Zoe said:
Wait, what? It's by system, so if the JPN account is on your original system, you'll still have 4 shares left. Otherwise people with several accounts on their PS3's would be screwed.
Yes you are right. I was just referring to someone who would take the original and put it on several consoles or share it. Technically it would be just 1 share if you're using the original JPN account on just 1 system. 4 shares would be left. Thanks for bringing that up so I could clarify.

Grayman

I heard that "tail of the sun" was available, is it under a new name or was it on the HK store as opposed to JP?

Grayman

About readability, FPG may not be difficult. You may need a guide to get everything out of the menus but it is not like RE or an RPG which would be unplayable without checking a walkthrough every time text comes up.

I should probably pick it up for PSP fire pro.

Speevy

Banned
Grayman said:
About readability, FPG may not be difficult. You may need a guide to get everything out of the menus but it is not like RE or an RPG which would be unplayable without checking a walkthrough every time text comes up.

I should probably pick it up for PSP fire pro.

It's very difficult for me.. Heck, the series isn't user-friendly in English. I want to be able to understand the creation modes, understand what kind of match I'm picking, all of that.

Grayman

Speevy said:
It's very difficult for me.. Heck, the series isn't user-friendly in English. I want to be able to understand the creation modes, understand what kind of match I'm picking, all of that.
I guess it is difficult by the definition given because you would need the guide for edit mode, or to learn some of the match options.

For matches I usually clip up an FAQ to just the menus, haven't done that for edit before though.

Speevy

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
That would be cool. It would be nice if a link went under each box art individually too. It would be a little more work but worth it.

Well there are 70 boxarts in 4 images and I think the limit for Neogaf is far less than 70, otherwise I would have hosted all the boxarts.

Trust me, I realize the best solution is probably having the links within the Excel file or each boxart as a link, but I have no idea how to post the text version (i.e. not a screen capture) of the Excel file and have it look nice.

If anyone knows how to make a nice looking list but not looking like NPD numbers, PM me.

I want this as concise and near as possible.

Appreciate the thread. Very much recommend getting Rakugaki Showtime and the cooking game. Two questions?
Where is Xenogears?
Is there a work around for playing JP and US PS1 games on a psp? I just the other day got a much larger memory card to put all my games on but you can only have Jp or US games at a time it seems.

LiquidMetal14

Speevy said:
Well there are 70 boxarts in 4 images and I think the limit for Neogaf is far less than 70, otherwise I would have hosted all the boxarts.

Trust me, I realize the best solution is probably having the links within the Excel file or each boxart as a link, but I have no idea how to post the text version (i.e. not a screen capture) of the Excel file and have it look nice.

If anyone knows how to make a nice looking list but not looking like NPD numbers, PM me.

I want this as concise and near as possible.
You're right. Maybe a list vertical/horizontally linking each game (adding new ones as time permits)?

robut said:
Appreciate the thread. Very much recommend getting Rakugaki Showtime and the cooking game. Two questions?
Where is Xenogears?
Is there a work around for playing JP and US PS1 games on a psp? I just the other day got a much larger memory card to put all my games on but you can only have Jp or US games at a time it seems.
Never even played with it that much. It should work as long as you have the space but again, I've never had multiple regions of games on my PSP.

Speevy

Banned
I played the Japanese version of Xenogears briefly, but not enough to make an assessment of its quality. It's not English-friendly, I'll tell you that much.

LiquidMetal14

Speevy said:
I played the Japanese version of Xenogears briefly, but not enough to make an assessment of its quality. It's not English-friendly, I'll tell you that much.
That would be a 1. Unless you're so familiar with the localized versions that you can walk your way through it. Otherwise it would be wise to track a GH copy of the NA version or some kind of English version.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Speevy said:
Wait wait wait , did you bought all those games ?

LiquidMetal14

Fersis said:
Wait wait wait , did you bought all those games ?
He owns almost everything. To compare, I have about 83 PS1 games on my PS3. I think he overshadows me by 5-10 so we relate there. I think he's up to around 180+ PSN/PS1 games while I'm at around 165-ish. It's great to have this sort of arcade in your PS3. Except lots of the games have online support and are in HD with cool features so in a way it's more than just an arcade.

The rivalry is on Speevy. Let us duel!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
LiquidMetal14 said:
He owns almost everything. To compare, I have about 83 PS1 games on my PS3. I think he overshadows me by 5-10 so we relate there. I think he's up to around 180+ PSN/PS1 games while I'm at around 165-ish. It's great to have this sort of arcade in your PS3. Except lots of the games have online support and are in HD with cool features so in a way it's more than just an arcade.

The rivalry is on Speevy. Let us duel!
Woooooooow @___@

Speevy

Banned
Someone PMed me and suggested I shrink down the image into a smaller size and put them into the Excel file, which would in turn increase the amount of text I can add to the description.

Good idea? It would save space space overall I think, and I could still include the horizontal links to the Wikipedias.

Speevy

Banned
I'm surprised that Japanese speakers/residents aren't head over heels in love with the PSN, given the broad selection of games. I mean, they don't even have to pick and choose when it comes to RPGs and such.

LiquidMetal14

Fersis said:
:D

Guys have you tried KOF 99 ?
Oh yea, it's good stuff. Obviously not as good as the DC version but still rock solid. I may be wrong as I haven't popped it in the system but I believe there was a DC port. Unless I'm thinking JPN Saturn.

Fersis

LiquidMetal14 said:
Oh yea, it's good stuff. Obviously not as good as the DC version but still rock solid. I may be wrong as I haven't popped it in the system but I believe there was a DC port. Unless I'm thinking JPN Saturn.

I played lots and lots of KOF99 on my PSX, i assume that the PSN version is the PSX one.

LiquidMetal14

Fersis said:
I played lots and lots of KOF99 on my PSX, i assume that the PSN version is the PSX one.
Oh it is the JPN PS1 version. I was thinking of the other console ports of the past which may have been better or equal. Either way it is great outside of the PS1 load times (which aren't back breaking but they're there).

Fersis

LiquidMetal14 said:
Oh it is the JPN PS1 version. I was thinking of the other console ports of the past which may have been better or equal. Either way it is great outside of the PS1 load times (which aren't back breaking but they're there).
Its possible to buy from the JP store with funds added with a US PSN Card ? (Not that i have any card or fund :/ , but its good to know)

Speevy

Banned
Fersis said:
Its possible to buy from the JP store with funds added with a US PSN Card ? (Not that i have any card or fund :/ , but its good to know)

You need a Japanese ticket.

See if there's a Japanese user here that will purchase one or use ebay.

Fersis

Speevy said:

Ok, thanks for the info good sir.

Grayman

Speevy said:

ah, i checked out play asia and the cheapest card was more than 10CAD over priced.

Brofist

Speevy said:
I'm surprised that Japanese speakers/residents aren't head over heels in love with the PSN, given the broad selection of games. I mean, they don't even have to pick and choose when it comes to RPGs and such.

One day I may replace my physical PS1 collection with a digital one, for now I still like having the packaging for games like Policenauts, FFVII,etc.. and don't feel like double dipping.

LiquidMetal14

kpop100 said:
One day I may replace my physical PS1 collection with a digital one, for now I still like having the packaging for games like Policenauts, FFVII,etc.. and don't feel like double dipping.
I agree with having physical BUT if the choice was there for both, I would get both. Especially if the PSN versions or 6-10 dollars. Or 15 for the big 3-4 disc games like FF7.

I would love to be able to play almost everything off the HDD just to save disc usage.

Speevy

Banned
I'm going to remake the database with little boxarts and longer, more detailed descriptions. The little boxarts will replace the old ones.

Then I'll provide a link to more detailed information for each game above the shots. Liquid, when I finish this I'll PM the results to you and I want you to let me know which you like best.

LiquidMetal14

Speevy said:
I'm going to remake the database with little boxarts and longer, more detailed descriptions. The little boxarts will replace the old ones.

Then I'll provide a link to more detailed information for each game above the shots. Liquid, when I finish this I'll PM the results to you and I want you to let me know which you like best.
Works for me.

biocat

Speevy said:

If some people need JP PSN cards, I don't mind picking some up. It's only a short walk away for me.

Top Bottom