• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAMNATION: What does GAF Think of this Shooter/Platformer?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dev Diary 1
Dev Diary 2 (Levels)
Dev Diary 3 (Moves)

Solo Walkthrough
Multiplayer Walkthrough

Some good ideas here, the Animation/graphics are not the greatest, some fun can come out of this

damnation-20090417015200614_640w.jpg

damnation-20090417015143490_640w.jpg

damnation-20090413044543674_640w.jpg

damnation-20080821021529750_640w.jpg

damnation-20080821021601748_640w.jpg

aaaaand breast
damnation-20080821021518172_640w.jpg

Rolf NB

What really sticks out to me is how there has never been another game where I forgot and had to try hard to remember the name anywhere near as often as ... uh ... whatsitcalledagain?

sullytao

The game has some really cool ideas and I love how the levels are really open and allow for multiple ways to tackle an objective. The graphics are not brilliant but I really like the art and settings of the game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a good game will come out of this.

They really need a new lighting artist.

It also saddens me that this is the closest we get to a cool "steampunk" game. Why is everyone afraid of steampunk =( WON'T SOMETHING THINK OF THE CHILDREN

KevinCow

Banned
flarkminator said:

It also saddens me that this is the closest we get to a cool "steampunk" game. Why is everyone afraid of steampunk =( WON'T SOMETHING THINK OF THE CHILDREN
They are thinking of the children. That's why all we get are sci-fi shooters. It's what the kids like these days.

flarkminator said:

a steampunk game would be so nice

this game looks very unappealing to me

I'm of the mind that if a game has characters that appear in Playboy's Girls of Gaming, there's a 99% chance it's not good.

Wag

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This game should be priced at $30 because no one is going to buy it come release day.
If it matters, it's $39.99 for the PC so it should come in around $30 for the PC in no time. As for no one buying it, I think you're right because it releases on May 26, the same day as InFamous and a week before Prototype! What were they thinking?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I saw this available for preorder on the Steam update page, and out of curiosity I watched the two videos Steam had about it.

Way to miss the point of steampunk, with your generic shit brown UE3. "We want steampunk, but REALISTIC! So we'll just make a bunch of regular guns and add chrome 'steam cylinders' to the back of them! We don't want anything fancy looking in this steampunk world; it should be GRITTY and FUNCTIONAL!"

Failure.

Wow. I rented this game cause I was curious if the game was as bad as most reviewers have said. And holy shit this is one of the most broken games ever released. You have to press two buttons to reload. There is no hit detection when shooting enemies. Aiming is clunky and the list goes on. Codemasters, I applaud you for making the worst game of the year.

Yeah I ended up playing this even though it looked like complete balls.

It was complete balls.

WTF else is there to say really. This was without a doubt one of the shittiest shit fests that has ever been shat out of a shit-pressing machine designed solely for pressing shit.

Maybe I'm being hyperbolic, but really - they fucked with Steampunk.

Fuck em.

Choc

Banned
Well you're wrong on one thing, this isn't the worst game of the year, but the worst one so far is published by codies (larry)

Turning Point, Legendary, and Damnation. When will Codemasters published games stop ruining somewhat decent premises with shitty games?

GoDLiKe

One of the worst games I have ever played. First, there's no I.A. It's incredible when you use the sniper and the enemies don't move, even if you miss the shot, for example. They will only attack you if you appear in front of them.

The level design is ridiculous, maybe the worst ever, and it's basically the same shit from beginning to the end. There are ladders in the air (wtf), ctrl c + ctrl v textures all around... and it's so fucking generic.

Do NOT buy this shit, or even rent it. Saw some people saying that this game is based on a mod, is that right?

stressboy

I remember seeing a preview of this on an episode of Qore. It looked awful then, so I am not surprised to hear that it is the gaming equivalent of liquid shit.

The_Dude

I was really hoping this would turn out well, since I love the concept of a shooter heavy on platforming, but I guess at least it's one less game to buy. Outside of Overlord, Codemasters track record of publishing outsourced games in the last couple of years has been pretty dismal.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
You have to press two buttons to reload.
Didn't seem to be a problem in Resident Evil 4/5! :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Shockgamer said:
Turning Point, Legendary, and Damnation. When will Codemasters published games stop ruining somewhat decent premises with shitty games?

Legendary was actually published by Gamecock.

RobbieNick

I'm on a Blockbuster pass so I can rent one at a time as often as I want. I rented this POS and returned it to the store 2 hours later.

Zenith

Banned
ram said:
they got, what they deserved. end of story.

might not have been their fault

They allege that there were a raft of lawsuits behind the sackings, which stem from Blue Omega being "taken off" their own game by Codemasters, as well as a dipsute between Blue Omega and two subcontracting studios, one of which stands accused of having continued work on Blue Omega's title even after Blue Omega had been stood down, and the other of having performed shoddy work.

In addition to those messy behind-the-scenes affairs, the former employees also stated that poor sales of Damnation were a contributing factor.

http://kotaku.com/5305065/damnation-developers-laid-off

but then it might have.

lordmrw

I almost bought the PC version yesterday, but then I changed my mind and got Mass Effect and Knights of the Nine for $10 less. I remember the Play magazine cover story on this, but that was a very lonnnnnng time ago, had a feeling something was up when we didn't hear a peep about this. Too bad, interesting premise, shoddy execution it seems.

Boerseun

Banned
I love this game.

Yes. I am not ashamed to admit it.

My brother and I are playing through the campaign on Casual difficulty, using the game's split-screen co-op mode. After we finish it, I intend on going back solo and playing through on Insane difficulty to earn all the trophies. (I should add that we are playing the Ps3 version.)

The game just works.

Yes, it's Unreal Engine running on Ps3 and there are some problems. Yes, you can quite clearly see where the game was when the original developers were fired and Codemasters brought in two hack houses to finish it.

But the actual gameplay is SWEET.

I love exploring the huge single-player levels. I love the freedom of movement. I love that this isn't really a shooter, though sadly it was marketed that way, but a game that takes some generic shooter conventions and impliments them within a brand new framework. I even love the long free-wheeling vehicle bits where you're doing nothing but driving along nearly endless stretches off road, broken up by the odd boost jump or bit of horizontal driving. It just feels like you're out in the Old West - an Old West taken over by steam-driven high technology and lorded over by a megalomaniacal tyrant who would see everything you hold dear destroyed - but it's the Old West nonetheless.

My only complaint is that no one is playing competitive multiplayer on-line anymore, since the levels are some of the best designed I've ever seen. Just imagine a huge combat arena with loads of parkour/free running-style opportunities. You're climbing, slip-sliding all over the place. Running, jumping like you've never seen in a shooter.

I'm nearly done with co-op and looking forward to my solo Insane replay. As it stands now, I reckon this is another gem in the rough, a game people will miss out on because of poor reviews, instead heading for the generic safe bet with its 9+ review scores.

Give Damnation a chance. Maybe you will not regret it. I certainly do not.

Keikoku

Banned
Boerseun said:
I love this game.

Yes. I am not ashamed to admit it.

My brother and I are playing through the campaign on Casual difficulty, using the game's split-screen co-op mode. After we finish it, I intend on going back solo and playing through on Insane difficulty to earn all the trophies. (I should add that we are playing the Ps3 version.)

The game just works.

Yes, it's Unreal Engine running on Ps3 and there are some problems. Yes, you can quite clearly see where the game was when the original developers were fired and Codemasters brought in two hack houses to finish it.

But the actual gameplay is SWEET.

I love exploring the huge single-player levels. I love the freedom of movement. I love that this isn't really a shooter, though sadly it was marketed that way, but a game that takes some generic shooter conventions and impliments them within a brand new framework. I even love the long free-wheeling vehicle bits where you're doing nothing but driving along nearly endless stretches off road, broken up by the odd boost jump or bit of horizontal driving. It just feels like you're out in the Old West - an Old West taken over by steam-driven high technology and lorded over by a megalomaniacal tyrant who would see everything you hold dear destroyed - but it's the Old West nonetheless.

My only complaint is that no one is playing competitive multiplayer on-line anymore, since the levels are some of the best designed I've ever seen. Just imagine a huge combat arena with loads of parkour/free running-style opportunities. You're climbing, slip-sliding all over the place. Running, jumping like you've never seen in a shooter.

I'm nearly done with co-op and looking forward to my solo Insane replay. As it stands now, I reckon this is another gem in the rough, a game people will miss out on because of poor reviews, instead heading for the generic safe bet with its 9+ review scores.

Give Damnation a chance. Maybe you will not regret it. I certainly do not.

Lol you're from Blue Omega Entertainment aren't you ?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is a hell of a bump to tell us you like the game.

G-Fex

I really really really love the idea, I love the storyline kinda.

But man when I played it was bad, so bad. Shooting was hard and the platforming was downright difficult and a real hell of a thing to do. It didn't work for me.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
G-Fex said:
I really really really love the idea, I love the storyline kinda.

But man when I played it was bad, so bad. Shooting was hard and the platforming was downright difficult and a real hell of a thing to do. It didn't work for me.
Dat hit detection right? Also some of the glitches accumulated to be extremely irritating like keep falling through the ground abruptly and the detection of capturing ledges. The visuals didn't help.

Boerseun

Banned
thetrin said:
This is a hell of a bump to tell us you like the game.

It's the closest thing I could find to an official thread.

Also, I reckon it's worth championing this gem
in the rough
of a game.

Dr Eggman said:
Dat hit detection right? Also some of the glitches accumulated to be extremely irritating like keep falling through the ground abruptly and the detection of capturing ledges. The visuals didn't help.

The only glitch (outside of everyday Unreal Engine on Ps3 issues) I've had so far was the game hanging on a load screen. And this happened only once.

Boerseun said:
It's the closest thing I could find to an official thread.

Also, I reckon it's worth championing this gem
in the rough
of a game.

The only glitch (outside of everyday Unreal Engine on Ps3 issues) I've had so far was the game hanging on a load screen. And this happened only once.
I suggest creating a LTTP thread next time or something.

Boerseun

Banned
Dr Eggman said:
Denis Dyack?

No.

Off-topic: I'd love to do some work for Silicon Knights. Dennis Dyack in my opinion doesn't get the respect he deserves.
Yes, he needs to stop posing with whores.

Razor 81 said:
IIRC this game had HORRIBLE controls and gunplay.

Controls I have no problem with.

Only the sniper rifle is accurate over any great distance, while the shotgun is only accurate up close. Everything else falls somewhere in between. It's not meant to be played as a shooter, and the assigned accuracy is perhaps more realistic that way.

I like how the weapons handle. The only thing I dislike is the noise they make, as all the guns are steam powered and make a strange "scrunchy" sound effect when fired.

Also, the bad guys are tough ("bullet sponges") because they're hopped up on Lord Prescott's serum. That still doesn't mean they can withstand more than one or two close shotgun blasts, four or five pistol shots, or one shot of you sniping from across the map.

I guess what I'm saying is that the gunplay isn't the point, but it definitely works for what is there.

I COULD NOT play this, I tired for about 2 hours, but could not. I have played and finished Too Human, Wet, Rouge Warrior, Velvet Assassin, Front Mission Evolved, Dark Void and other games of questionable quality this gen, but I COULD NOT stand this.

It belongs on a trash heap

Top Bottom