• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #31 - "Memory"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Theme - "Memory"

Word Limit: 1600

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, 7/01 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, 7/02, and goes until Saturday, 7/04 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Setting: Ruins

I have a particular fascination with places that people built, worked, lived, and then left to rot. Sometimes other people come by to bulldoze them, or fix them up as a historical sight, and sometimes they just stay rotten. So you can throw in everything from Pompeii to an abandoned futuristic space station. Just make it crumbly.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

The Entries:

Spoo - "Down"
Mato - "Gas Leak"
Belfast - "From Beginning to End"
ronito - "Memories of BMV 1001"
hey_monkey - "Smiling Jack"
akachan ningen - "Quake City"
AndrewG009 - "Orbital"
Mkliner - "The Palace"
Tim the Wiz - "Brotherhood"
Dax01 - untitled
Ward - "Crazy Eights"
nitewulf - "Some Distant Memory"
Aaron - "Egg Chamber"
ZephyrFate - "The Night is Sacrosanct"
kozmo7 - "Worn Roots"
Botolf - "Remembrance and Judgment"
Cyan - "Trial"
crowphoenix - "Help"
DumbNameD - "Diner"

Hopefully this may be my best one. The perfect theme, the perfect setting. Let's see what I can cook up for it...

Going back into stream-of-consciousness mode (like The Names, The Faces, The Situations) so it'll probably be hit-or-miss for everyone like my pieces usually are.

Hmm... now to tinker with ideas! Time to try and knock your guys' socks off.

Scribble

My tertiary objective is to start writing today and to use the whole two weeks to rewrite/edit so that it isn't so flawed and that I can hopefully do something great. Oh, and to read the stories as they're posted, because it's hard to read ALL the stories in one sitting just before voting. Doesn't do the stories justice.

pirahna1

I want to get back into writing, so I'm going to push myself to actually write something for once.

I love the theme and objective. Here goes nothing!

Scribble said:
My tertiary objective is to start writing today and to use the whole two weeks to rewrite/edit so that it isn't so flawed and that I can hopefully do something great. Oh, and to read the stories as they're posted, because it's hard to read ALL the stories in one sitting just before voting. Doesn't do the stories justice.

This was my objective until I started playing Sid Meier's Pirates! again. I have nothing but the Spanish Main on the brain.

Mato

I might take part too. I feel like writing these days. Haven't taken part in one of these competitions for ages and ages.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Heh, I already have 449 words written down for this one. I swear guys, this one's readable. It's still over-the-top, but I've left my language-play out for the most part.

My own personal objective with this challenge is to actually offer my own critiques of the other stories. I missed voting in the last one because I was too tired to read them all. Hopefully that won't happen again.

Spoo

I just got Fallout 3, so this one'll be tough to do lol. I'll still try to get something in, however.

Cyan

Banned
Scribble said:
It's not a bad idea. Although I like to let my ideas percolate for a little while before I start writing.

Only trouble is, that can easily turn into an excuse. :lol

Cyan said:
It's not a bad idea. Although I like to let my ideas percolate for a little while before I start writing.

Only trouble is, that can easily turn into an excuse. :lol
Ei. I've meant to start early the last couple of times. But, I'd put it off, thinking I needed to think more or that I had plenty of time. And every time, something has come up to prevent me from being able to participate. So, no more excuses. I'm getting this thing done early.

ronito

wow I already have two ideas. One of them uses the secondary objective in an obvious way, the second is very subtle (almost too subtle) but is a much more powerful picture to paint....which to do...which to do..

ronito said:
wow I already have two ideas. One of them uses the secondary objective in an obvious way, the second is very subtle (almost too subtle) but is a much more powerful picture to paint....which to do...which to do..
Do both at the same time.

ronito

Dax01 said:
Do both at the same time.
:lol :lol :lol
Sounds great, but the second idea is biographical and I've never really met mormon zombies with swords. So they're sorta mutually exclusive.

ronito said:
:lol :lol :lol
Sounds great, but the second idea is biographical and I've never really met mormon zombies with swords. So they're sorta mutually exclusive.
Make the biographical idea about someone encountering mormon zombies with swords?

Belfast

Spoo said:
I just got Fallout 3, so this one'll be tough to do lol. I'll still try to get something in, however.

Well, dude, you should have "ruins" on the brain, then. It'll be easy!

I'm going to give this a shot, though I can't make any promises. I never make it pass the first few sentences. Pretty crappy for an aspiring screenwriter.

Spoo

I stayed up late writing this so I can play Fallout 3 and not have to worry about my entry :lol

-----------

Down
word count: 1589

“Here's the best part: They became Gods.”

Kris rolled her eyes at that. Partly because of the audacity of the idea, but mostly because Ben felt so absolutely smug about his translation of what was essentially alien hieroglyphics. Ben caught her reaction in his periphery and did his own exaggerated eye-rolling in response.

“It's true,” said Ben, “-- or at least, these guys really believed it. I'm almost positive that this part here says that 'those who walk the path become as gods upon reaching the center of the structure.' It's obviously bullshit, but our wacky aliens totally believed it when they scribbled this shit on the walls.”

“You sure?” replied Kris. “I just mean maybe you're slightly mistransl --”

“Maybe, to some small degree. But the core elements of what I'm talking about: God, men, this path, and becoming Gods – those I'm sure of. It could be a bizarre creation myth. One way or another, as far as we've seen so far, this structure, and these writings are all we have to go on.”

“Well, what's this then?” Kris pointed towards a portion of the curved surface in front of them; her index finger rotated counter-clockwise, as if to mimic the art.

“It's a bunch of circles.” Ben laughed. He thought it was a funny response, but Kris's index finger retracted and her middle finger shot up to remind him that it wasn't.

“I don't know,” said Ben. “I've been trying to figure it into our friends' story here – it's definitely not just a circle, after all.”

Kris couldn't tell one way or the other. She had been along for the ride more than anything else; a new, alien civilization – a new planet – it was too much for a budding anthropologist to pass up. Both she and Ben were with a crew of almost a hundred sent to investigate the planet's surface, and other than this ruin and elaborate scribbles on the wall, there didn't seem to be much left here. She had hoped to learn about every memory of the people that lived here. Instead, she was here with Ben who – while talented – had a knack for over analyzing, which made him occasionally unbearable.

Ben broke his silence: “Well, the structure is circular in nature, so it could be a reference to the building itself. Or, as stupid as it sounds, it could be an instruction manual. I don't know why you'd need instructions to traverse this place of course.”

Neither did Kris. As far as either of them could tell, the structure consisted of an entrance, and one, long circular path leading to a dead-end core.

“Should we continue moving?”

“I don't know. We haven't heard from the team yet, so for all I know they're dead from the wildlife here.”

Kris wasn't pleased with the answer. She hadn't felt at ease since they landed, and it wasn't standard protocol to be without muscle. Still, if they were going to be trapped in a creepy alien structure, all the better if it were a creepy 'explored' alien structure.

“This part's interesting though,” said Ben. Kris jumped a little when he said it – the echoes seemed like they were getting louder.

“What part?”

“Well,” Ben started gesturing towards another picture on the wall, “if I'm not mistaking the history here, it looks like there's certain requirements one would have to meet to become a God. Apparently, this building wasn't constructed for the sole purpose of making the transition – but also as a tomb of some sort. A test. If one didn't meat the criteria, they were denied --”

“A tomb? You've got to be shitting me. If it were a tomb there'd be bodies lying all over the place, wouldn't there?”

Ben smiled. A devious grin. “We haven't exactly explored the whole place, yet.”

Kris didn't like the insinuation one bit. If the place doubled as both a tomb and a gateway to Godhood, there would be no telling what they'd find down the corridor.

Ben stood up, dusting himself off as he did so and gestured towards the emptiness of the hallway. “I'm sure the troops will be back soon, but I say we check it out. Nothing here, so either they disappeared off this portion of the planet, or --” he pointed into the darkness “-- they're in here with us.”

Kris was surprised at the change in heart, but took him up on the offer. Of course, it was a bad idea through and through, but Kris wasn't hugely interested in letting a bunch of dumb soldiers make the discovery of the century – if, in fact, there was anything left to discover. They started down the curving hallway at a brisk pace.

“So, what do you think we'll find?” asked Kris, for once curious to hear Ben's opinion on the matter.

“I don't know. Maybe nothing. Or maybe we'll walk out of here Gods.”

“Or it'll be our tomb, right?”

They kept walking.

It had been some 40 minutes now, and the path continued on. Neither Ben or Kris could possibly explain the size of the structure.

“No wonder there's no God --” started Ben, “everyone got tired from the walk and went back home!”

More jokes, and for the first time today they're weren't bad. Kris had been ready to turn back a few times but kept her uneasiness to herself; she wouldn't give Ben any more ammo than he already had to suggest she wasn't fit for the trek.

Finally, after an hour of walking, the path finally ended, and all that was there was a hole in the ground. Kris lit a flare and dangled it over the opening for a moment before letting it go.

Down.
Down.
Down.

There was no sound, and the light illuminated very little until at last there was nothing.

“That's one hell of a hole,” said Ben, trying to be funny again. “We're not going in there yet. We don't have any equipment, and the things a deathtrap anyway – fall in there and you're fucked.”

“Feel more omnipotent?” said Kris, trying to throw her own joke in the mix. Ben chuckled.

“Nope, I guess we're not worthy. That means we're dead, you know. Either that, or I completely mistranslated the whole damn story and this is actually this world's largest joke restroom, and that hole is completely filled with shit.”

They started heading back to camp.

They'd been walking an hour, and nothing. The trip back felt longer, but Kris couldn't tell if it was just fatigue setting in. The day had been filled with a lot of questions and very few answers. She hoped that when they finally got back to camp the rest of the group would have some.

When they reached the end of their journey, there was no entrance to greet them. Instead, lying in front of their widened eyes, there was nothing but a hole in the ground.

They couldn't understand it. They had turned around and walked back the way they came – there were no other routes, no doorways, nothing. They had even passed the hieroglyphics that Ben had eagerly studied for hours earlier that day. By all reason, nothing should be different.

“Did we actually get turned around?”

“Not a chance, Kris. Something strange is going on, and I don't know what. Here, get out the radio. I doubt it'll work in here, but we have to try.”

Kris did. Nothing, at first, just static on the other end. Then, without warning, screams filtered through the speaker. They were so loud both Kris and Ben fell down to the cold floor below in shock.

A voice rang out: “God! Oh God – whoever can hear this, get out! Back to the ship! Ba---”

Then silence.

“If there's something out there, where would you go? I mean, if something started attacking your village, where would you go? Where would you run to?”

“God, I don't know Ben!” Kris slammed her fist on the wall and shot him a mean-looking glance. “There's something out there, and our whole crew just fucking evacuated the planet without us because you had to go see this fucking hole. Well, now you've seen it, so just do me a favor and fucking jump in it.”

“Shut up Kris. Look: This place is a booby trap that this civilization's religious leaders built to appease fake Gods. There's no doubt. They pick their lucky subjects, throw them in here, and the door shuts and all they find is a fucking hole to die in. Now, what happens when something attacks your village? Everyone rushes in thinking – hey, maybe if I'm worthy, I'll be a God! Better than dying, right?”

Kris's eyes were filled with tears, but they couldn't hide her blank stare.

“I'll make it easier on you,” said Ben. “Something big lives here, and it attacked our alien buddies. They ran in here thinking it'd be best course of action – they start running, the doors shut, and guess where they get to go now thinking it's the gateway to heaven?”

Down.
Down.
Down.

Sometimes a circle is just a circle. Sometimes a memory is just a suicide note.

Spoo

crowphoenix said:
Did Spoo just set a record for fastest entry?

My whole week is essentially booked between going to Idaho for my sister's wedding, work, Fallout 3 (<3), and studying, so this last night was my only chance to get something in. Luckily, the idea was there; just had to write it down -- probably the first time it's been like that for me.

ronito

so sat down and just started writing. Seems that my mind wants to the biographical idea. We'll see how that goes.

You'll eventually realize that you just blocked out the memories of the Mormon Zombies with Swords, and how you, armed with only a bat with nails in it, faced them down on top of the Hoover Dam.

Mato

Gas Leak

When I was a child the subject of death was for me a point of ignition, necessary to make an art piece entertaining. Fictive showcases of morbid action bolstered my tastes to different places than the shocking reality of death would normally have done to a healthy, composed mind. I gather all people at some level, deep down have an ongoing angst about their inevitable physical doom. The portrait of our life invariably always ends in colors entirely unrelated to our desire. Recollections of death scenes that I have seen in films, portraying visceral, graphic acts of rapists, serial killers, saints and criminals of all kinds have cannibalized my instincts and taste buds. You start off with something light, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon and by degrees, years later you end up masturbating to the 120days of Sodom being reenacted in that charming Italian flick.

Sanity never run much in my family. Four members, that is me, my parents and my retarded older brother. I am not just saying that. He really was clinically retarded. He’s dead now, bless him, all of them are, but when he was around, he liked standing by the road waving at strangers, mouth gaping, dripping saliva and all. My Father was a construction worker, an alcoholic and obnoxious even when sober and at his best, a regular wife beater and get this - Mother actually seemed to enjoy all the whipping and bruising. I could pretend that a part of me must have had at some degree noble feelings about the three of them, because we shared common blood, but the truth is I had not.

Our poverty-level home in the suburbs housed a very much expendable set of lives and from what little I remember no one ever visited us out there. Friendless and penniless without much cause or reason, we put up with each other with a not insignificant amount of contempt for one another.
I have but one photograph of that place. Unfocused, sketchy corners and faded colors, sans flashlight, but I can still make out my poor old brother, sitting in the living room floor, mutely playing-pretence with one of Mother’s cigarettes between his plump, greasy lips. Father besides him, napping on the sofa.

Where was Mother when this picture was taken?

Probably sitting cross-legged in the armchair doing crossword puzzles with that god-awful, ever-uptight, neurotic Chihuahua on her lap, which was barking, jarred by the menacing presence of the cheap, plastic Polaroid. I do not remember, but I assume that would have woken up Father and violence would have ensued.

I left home for the big city when I was seventeen. Uneducated and poor, I had to work and live with minorities to survive. It seems surprising given the situation but I preferred that to going back home, leeching off Father, pray to his violent temperament. I hated Mother and her awkward attempts to deliver and share quality kinship time with me and did not care much for that silly old fart, my brother. Yes, he was fond of me, probably more so than any other person has ever been in my short life, but his goofy ways, sweaty shirts and sticky hands sickened me.

All that is now long gone, the house is standing empty and silent and that fucking dog was the only survivor of the gas leak that exterminated the rest of them (he got out through that square hole on the kitchen door whilst the rest slowly fell into sleep never to awaken). Their so called tragic death (not my words, but that of the reporter on television) has done little to ameliorate my disdain for them, especially since my twisted imagination has provided plenty of horrible imagery of their bodies laying dead on their beds for sixteen days, cold, motionless, decaying, before the Chihuahua started dragging corporeal mementos around the neighborhood alarming the old couple next door.

Their deaths and the days that followed had been characteristically uneventful, with only a handful of people showing up for their funeral. I had to pay for the expenses, was glad to and listlessly afterwards went back to the house for the last time, to pick up anything that was of value. Cheerily I called for a cab and then while I waited I locked the dog in the basement. When I had first heard of the news of my family’s demise I had felt it was a shame he got away with it, but now I relished on the idea he was going to starve to death down there. I might as well come out and admit that I did that out of sheer meanness. After the funeral a great aunt had offered to adopt him, but I had answered I wanted to keep him, I being so font of that adorable little puppy.

ronito

crowphoenix said:
You'll eventually realize that you just blocked out the memories of the Mormon Zombies with Swords, and how you, armed with only a bat with nails in it, faced them down on top of the Hoover Dam.
This could be the sentence with the highest concentration of awesome I've read today.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Finally done with school. I'll be voting this time and hopefully spending more time on my entry.

Belfast

Had to cut a lot of this one, yikes!

"From Beginning to End" - 1600 Words

Dirty marquees surrounded a blown-out neon sign, reading "8 Screens," on either side. Letter-shaped stains were burnt onto their yellowed facades, once dominated by exciting titles and double features that beckoned the public into comfortable seats and air conditioning for an afternoon of fun at the movies. The dreary ticket box stood like an ancient guard between vacant entryways, a perfect hole where its two-way speaker once was.

"This is where I was born," I quipped to the man occupying the driver's seat next to me. He kept telling me that his name was Richard, and that he was my older brother. Aside from showing up on my doorstep two days ago, I've never seen him before in my life.

"Yeah, Emma, this is it," he replied, with the same scrunched brow and crooked, pressed lips he'd worn the entire car ride here.

"I know," I retorted, with slight annoyance, "I still remember it, sort of."

This didn't seem to phase Richard, who continued with his story anyway, "I wasn't there when it happened. Mom and Dad stuck me with a baby-sitter while they snuck out for the rare date. They didn't get much alone time when we were around... I do remember the phone call, though, and the trip to the hospital. And then we came back here, every year for your birthday, until it closed."

"Sorry... it just means nothing to me."

"What you're looking for... you think it's actually in there?" he asked.

I tightened my fist around the end of the silver thread that I had wrapped around my body as many times as I could get it to. My "brother" swore he couldn't see it.

"It's got to be, Richard. I have nothing else left, nowhere else to look."

I pulled the lever on the door and set one foot on the muddy soil. He placed a hand on my shoulder, begging me to let him tag along and help. I shrugged him off and stood up, leaning back in to stop his protests.

"If you care about me, and trust me as much as you say you do, you'll let me take care of this alone."

"Sis..." Richard whined, defeatedly.

I marched away from the old Bonneville, and my worried sibling, determined to meet my destiny and whatever that might entail. As I peeked inside the moviehouse, its dilapidated features became more and more familiar. I wasn't lying when I said I could recall the experience. Well, at least as much as a newborn baby was able to.

They had wheeled my mother down this hallway. I couldn't remember her name or her face, but I knew it was my Mom from the latent warmth of her breast. I was crying loudly, healthy but traumatized, as she cuddled me in her arms.

There were lots of dark shapes, people whose faces were shadowed by bright lights coming from behind. I noticed that a few of the Art Deco-style sconces still hung on the walls, sans luminesence, as I creeped my way towards Theater Two.

A weak humming caught my ears as I came upon the entrance. My heart was thumping with the power and vigor of an industial press. Hiding in the doorway, I could hear shuffling and the sounds of work. It was coming closer. And closer. Until it felt like it was just around the corner.

Squinting, I jumped out into the rear aisle. "STOP!" I screamed, hoping to catch the interloper off guard.

The dark creature craned its spindly neck all the way around to stare at me. Its frame was thin, but muscular, and drooped over like a wilting flower, hiding the being's true height. A thick, glimmering rope hung heavily over one shoulder, coiled many times over. It was stretched betwee his sharp digits and led down to the bottom of the walkway, where it attached to a small, red box.

"You can sssssee me, Emma?!" it scorched, the voice emitting from no visible mouth. Two circular, red eyes rattled like flaring coals in their sockets.

I nodded, wide-eyed, but not as scared as I thought I'd be. Frightening as this visage might be, there was something curious to it.

"That night," I gulped, "You came into my apartment, above my bed. And once you snipped it... I could see you! And the thread!"

"Oh, what the hell!" the creature cried, "I knew I would fuck it up! This sort of thing has never even happened during my tenure, and they just tell me to get rid of the mess!"

I was puzzled. "What... what do you mean?"

"I, the irreplaceable Cremortus," it explained with authority, stabbing a knife-like finger at its chest, "have reaped and then ferried souls across this great plane of existence since time immemorial! And yet, here I am, cleaning up someone else's misssstake!"

"Mis... mistake?!" I could feel something bubbling inside me that was neither fear nor base curiosity.

"YES!" Cremortus continued ranting, "You were a mistake! First your daddy forgot to pull out and then you arrived at the front of this theater, a month ahead of schedule! Do you realize how much work disentanglement is?! Nobody's died for the past two days because I've had to criss-cross half of this forsaken country, deleting *you* from the universe! A cosmic fucking joke! You weren't supposed to exist!"

He clenched the rope in his fist for effect.

"And once I get it all back in that thing," he pointed at the red box sitting next to the seat where my mother had given birth, "I will be done, and I can get on with life!"

At once, it all clicked: I understood why I had rapidly lost all but my very first memory and how I could fix it. Confidence welled in my chest and I strolled up the ancient reaper.

I yanked up the sleeve on my shirt, "The only mistake I see around here is yours."

Cremortus made a sound similar to a gasp at the sight of the silver thread emitting from my palm.

I smirked, no longer in fear, "So caught up in erasing me, that you forgot about the new memories I'd be creating while you did it. Should've taken my head while you had the chance."

As he pondered his error, I saw the frayed end of the rope, where he had severed it from my body, dangling from the coil.

"That's not how it wor—" He yelped as I grabbed it and took off running up the aisle. The thread caught on a knot suddenly and pulled him forward, spinning and unbalancing his awkward body like a tumbling skyscraper.

I sprinted from theater two, down the hallway, and past the Art Deco lanterns. Richard was standing outside of the Bonneville, and had the look of a man who'd just been pacing back and forth, deciding whether or not he should leap into action. I thought he should.

"Get back in the car!" I screamed, barreling out of the entrance and into the humid night.

"Emma! Are you alright?!" he worried, nonetheless following my directions. As I pulled the handle on the car door, I could feel the rope yank me backwards. Cremortus crashed through the ticket box, hands rapidly reeling in the silver thread.

"Holy shit! What is that?!"

"GO! JUST GO!" I reminded him, clutching onto the window frame.

He threw the creaking Pontiac into reverse, the front wheels spitting mud into my face. Looking back, I could see Cremortus unfurl four powerful wings as he launched into the air, like some brand of gothic ornithopter.

One foot braced against the floorboard, the other on the inside of the open passenger door, and my back against its frame, I joined the rope to the thread and knotted it through.

Suddenly, my soul, my memories started to spill back into me like fishing line into a flywheel. The weight of the moving car combined with the retraction of the silver string forced Cremortus to the ground like a flagging kite. He crashed feet-forward and dug deep into the concrete.

"Floor it, bro!" I cried through freshly-formed tears. I remembered who he was now, and how he'd taken care of me after Mom and Dad passed away.

Richard pounded on the gas and tore into the road, Cremortus resisting with all his might. Like a game of tug-of-war, they pulled at eachother until there was a loud pop and the Bonneville leapt forward in a burst of speed.

I turned to look out the rear window. Cremortus, Death himself, unraveled before my eyes. As the length of my soul disappeared, it began to consume his; another unforseen consequence, I guessed. He cried, and screamed, and clawed at the ground until everything that was left of him was inside of me.

"Do you remember, Emma?" Richard asked, huffing and teared up as much as I was.

"Yeah, I do. I remember you Ricky, and Mom, and Dad. And everything." I hugged my brother tightly.

I pulled back from Richard and looked him straight in the eyes, "Did they ever tell you that I was a mistake?"

He shook his head vigorously, "No! In fact, they always told me you were the favorite!"

"Ricky... thank you," I wiped the tears from my cheeks, "The reaper knows that now, too. I can feel him deep inside me, raging. No, my birth was very deliberate. I think this was a hit, a loophole, and whoever it was that put me on this Earth wanted this to happen. And that... that scares me."

I've got an idea I'm toying around with. Unfortunately, being Cliche-Man, it rings a little hollow. I need to figure out a way to breath a little life into it.

Cyan

Banned
A few really interesting entries already. Nice.

I meant to start my piece last night, but found excuses not to. :/ Got an idea I like, though!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
crowphoenix said:
I've got an idea I'm toying around with. Unfortunately, being Cliche-Man, it rings a little hollow. I need to figure out a way to breath a little life into it.

A girl with huge punching bag tits, ripe for uppercutting by the main character's side of beef dick.

ronito

Now that I'm half way through this piece I'm not so sure I want GAF to know about me at that level....oh well, go with the flow I guess.

Timedog said:
A girl with huge punching bag tits, ripe for uppercutting by the main character's side of beef dick.
Well, that ought to be a given. But seriously, I think that gave me an idea. Thanks.

ronito said:
Now that I'm half way through this piece I'm not so sure I want GAF to know about me at that level....oh well, go with the flow I guess.
My first one was autobiographical. Cliche as hell, but autobiographical.

ronito

The auditorium was packed, there were even people sitting in the aisles. I didn't for a second allow myself to believe that they had come for me, though I was the sole performer that night. Most of them had come to fill their requirement for Music 117 (beginning guitar). Larry, my mentor and head of the guitar department, had established that every Music 117 student had to attend at least 3 classical guitar concerts. It being Utah Valley there weren't many classical guitar concerts to attend, so every concert, no matter how small, was packed with frat boys looking for an easy A and college girls looking for said frat boys. As I peered through the doors at the audience the make up of it made me shake my head. More of the same. But I was heartened to see a few older and younger faces that had come for the music and not because they had to check a box.

"What will you start off with tonight?" Larry had asked earlier.

"The fugue." I replied.

Larry gave a knowing smile, shook his head and muttered, "Whatever."

For weeks Larry and I had disagreed on the construction of the set list. He had taught me that a performance was like a dance. He said you had to inch in bit by bit and convince the audience to dance with you. Start off with the easier pieces, ease into a rhythm, ask the audience to dance with you. I agreed with Larry that a performance was like a dance, but instead of pussyfooting about, I believed you had to get out there and tell them that they are going to dance with you. The fugue was complex, fiery, exciting, the perfect piece for demanding attention and setting the tone.

I peered out at the crowd again, they were all strangers, my parents were working as always, most of my friends were busy with school. Even Larry wouldn't be there. I can't say I blamed him. He saw the issues with my hands, the onset of RSI that combined with my own lack of discipline and time would leave my playing a ruin of what it once was. At best I would be like an old starlet trying to prove that she could still be sexy. He had no need to see that. He'd ask how things went, and tell me he heard I did well, but no matter how well I did it couldn't change the path my hands were already on.

An usher poked his head into the green room. "Three minutes." As soon as he appeared he was gone.

I turned to my guitar case. It was hard as a battleship, nearly half the size and just as ugly. The corners were frayed, one was coming apart all together, but the case itself could withstand nearly any blow. It was Larry's old guitar case. He had given it to me out of pity. He knew I came from a poor family unlike the other classical guitar majors that were typically children of the rich that were put through every kind of musical training money could buy. I was just a poor boy who had talent. I couldn't afford the best teachers, I learned from whoever would teach me. I couldn't afford to sit and practice all day, I had a job to attend. I couldn't afford a great concert guitar, let alone a good case. So when Larry got his new case, he gave his old one to me. To this day I still use it, I certainly have the money now to buy a better one, but just like with my old guitar I can't let it go.

I opened up my case and looked my guitar. She was a Yamaha, laughable for any concert guitarist. But she was the best that I could afford and we made beautiful music together. She looked old even then, a corner was scratched from falling out of her old case, the neck had a dent from the same accident, scuff marks on the sides from years of usage. I gingerly lifted her out of the case and began to tune as my nerves began to set in. No matter how many concerts I played the nerves were always there like a jungle cat waiting to pounce at the first sign of weakness. I steadied my breath and continued to tune paying attention to the feel of the guitar against me, the vibrations, and the feel of smooth wood.

I could hear the crowd hush as the usher introduced me and gave a prayer. I chuckled at the silliness of BYU, but inwardly I appreciated the prayer that I wouldn't fall flat on my face. After the prayer I picked up my guitar and walked out onto the stage. Applause greeted me as I emerged. I tried hard not to smirk. They weren't applauding for me, most didn't even care. They didn't know who I was, or how hard I had worked on the pieces, they were applauding because it was etiquette that was all.

I finally arrived at the solitary chair in the middle of the stage. I put my foot on my small foot stool to raise my leg and set my battered guitar close against me. I closed my eyes and fell into my routine. I ran a hand down the curvature of the wood while the other slid up and down the neck. Classical guitar is as close to music as you can come. There are no picks, no mics, no keys, no reeds or mouthpieces, not sticks, no hammers, no bows, there's just your fingers and six strings. A good guitarist becomes one physical entity with his guitar when he performs. My routine was my way of preparing to try and do just that.

The lights on the stage were warm I opened my eyes and rechecked my tuning taking my time, ignoring the crowd. I took a deep breath and recalled Larry's mantra, "Performing is just practicing in front of people." I closed my eyes again for a second; I could see the score scrolling through my mind. Notes looked like caged animals behind the staves just waiting to be freed I opened my eyes and freed them.

My fingers struck out constructing the main theme. Each note carefully planned and played with a single finger. Another finger came down as I began to lay the second voice on top of the first. Another finger, another voice. I was transformed into a master weaver, laying differently colored threads of music on top of each other creating a tapestry of sound spreading from my guitar to the corners of the hall smothering the audience with its brightly colored patterns.

Hands and fingers shifted eliciting whispers and hums from my guitar. The piece transmutated changing from one beast to another, the only constant the driving rhythm throughout. In my stomach a mass of energy began to build as I approached what I'd interpreted as the climax of the piece. I forced my excitement to wait as I slowed the piece and began the climax with a soft bass strike of my thumb. As the climax progressed the music got louder and louder but I was careful to not speed up keeping the same driving bass throbbing, a constant heart beat. My guitar reached its volume limit with a triumphant exultation of sound that returned to me in echoes off the walls.

The climax over, I began the work of deconstruction careful again to not speed up the tempo, even though fingers are running up and down the guitar at a faster pace. There was a slight pause before the final flourish, I threw away the tempo and blazed through it like a demon escaping heaven. There was a long trill like a humming bird's wing then the final chord breathed out like a satisfied sigh.

Against me my guitar reverberated, almost warm, it reminded me of a satisfied lover. Across the hall there was utter silence as the last threads of the fugue dissipated into nothing. Then applause exploded forth along with a few cheers and whistles. I smiled, nodded in acknowledgement and flexed the fingers of my left hand; the dull pain that would end my professional aspirations was already present. But the pain would have to wait till later, that night the audience, the poor boy, and his beat up guitar would dance.

Does anyone mind proofing reading and providing some acknowledgable insight? This is the first I've written in a very long time, even if I'm not done in time to submit I would like to finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom