• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers (3rd album, first single out now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
lupe-lasers.gif

http://www.lupefiasco.com/
http://www.wearenotlosers.com/

The first single is called "Shining Down", and there are a lot of unmastered or low quality versions of it out there, but just spend $1.29 on iTunes by clicking here.

Originally, this was planned to be a triple album (and his final album) called LupE.N.D. Then that changed to being indefinitely postponed and replaced by The Great American Rap Album in June.

But now we have his third album, Lasers, set for release in December and this first single which, much like "Superstar", features Matthew Santos and is produced by Soundtrakk.

Awesome song, extremely excited for the new album.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
So I guess he's finally decided he can make a long career out of being one of the best lyricists out there? Good. Looking forward to it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What? It has the same vocalist on the chorus and the same producer, but the actual song sounds nothing like "Superstar". The beat is completely different and the lyrics are about another subject entirely.

Bowser

SpeedingUptoStop said:
So I guess he's finally decided he can make a long career out of being one of the best lyricists out there? Good. Looking forward to it.
He didn't decide, his label decided for him. He was (and probably still is) very agitated at his label for making him shelve LupE.N.D.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Bowser said:
He didn't decide, his label decided for him. He was (and probably still is) very agitated at his label for making him shelve LupE.N.D.
Good on his label for not allowing him to make a boneheaded triple record.

Swag

esbern said:
Oh, and yeah, there is autotune on one of the verses

I think he was using auto tune as a means of mockery, I've always remembered Lupe being very anti auto-tune

Ashhong

=( i was gonna make this

loving shining down

Sebulon3k said:
I think he was using auto tune as a means of mockery, I've always remembered Lupe being very anti auto-tune

if esbern had listened to the song and the actual words, he would have realized that it was 100% for mocking autotune.

cashman

Banned
Lu don't moo, no cow-words you've only heard lines
Lu don't moo, no cow-words you've only heard lions
Lu don't move no cow-herds you've only herd lions
Lu don't move no cowards, you've only heard lions (lions are brave)

which one is right?

Swag

The song is great, but waiting until December for the album is gonna be torture. If I'm understanding this correctly Greatest American Rap Album is replacing LupE.N.D and was released in June?

omg rite said:
What? It has the same vocalist on the chorus and the same producer, but the actual song sounds nothing like "Superstar". The beat is completely different and the lyrics are about another subject entirely.
I think Kastro's saying that it is a retread of Superstar in the aesthetic sense, not the lyrical sense.

mileS

wait so he still wants to retire asap but his label won't let him? or is it just them saying he can't put out a double or triple album?

so confused... why the fuck do you need to retire so bad for anyway Lupe?

cashman

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
The song is great, but waiting until December for the album is gonna be torture. If I'm understanding this correctly Greatest American Rap Album is replacing LupE.N.D and was released in June?
great american rap album is like part 1 of LupEND, but GARA was replaced with lasers. Basically, there was no lupe album dropped in June.

ZeoVGM

Banned
esbern said:
or instead of paying for it, you could take 3 seconds to find a great quality version of it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udSlm-_RV6s

... Hold on, I'll use someone else's quote to bring the point home first.

Ashhong said:
if esbern had listened to the song and the actual words, he would have realized that it was 100% for mocking autotune.

If esbern knew what he was talking about he would also know that the YouTube video he linked to was the unmastered/shit quality version I was talking about in my original post.

So please, no one use his YouTube link as the version to listen to or link people to. It sounds noticeably different.

Swag

cashman said:
great american rap album is like part 1 of LupEND, but GARA was replaced with lasers. Basically, there was no lupe album dropped in June.

Thanks, I was looking on Itunes for it and wondering why it wasn't coming up. Thought my Itunes was bugging out :lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i'll get it but his major label releases haven't been as good as his last two mixtapes.

still a good guy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ashhong said:
listened to the sample on itunes, it sounds the same. whats different? is this the mastered version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAt1yjCGH50

The opening vocals are much lower in that YouTube version. Very poor version.

Another difference is that the guitar stops in the YouTube version when he uses the autotune. On iTunes, the guitar is still there.

That's just stuff I noticed right away.

(How do you listen to samples of songs on iTunes, btw? I don't use it often and I don't see an option for that. I might be blind.)

Shining Down is alright, nothing special.

omg rite said:
(How do you listen to samples of songs on iTunes, btw? I don't use it often and I don't see an option for that. I might be blind.)

Just double click on it.

Wow the first single from an album that's due out 4-5 months from now? That's a little unorthodox, don't you think?

Anyways, excited as ever!

Ashhong

Shawnwhann said:
Wow the first single from an album that's due out 4-5 months from now? That's a little unorthodox, don't you think?

Anyways, excited as ever!

probably because it got leaked about a month ago and he was pissed. putting out the real version for sale is his only choice

Crazyorloco

I love it. Nice beat too. I'm surprised at those who don't like it a little at least. First time I heard it I was listening to the lyrics, not saying to myself "it sounds like this or this".

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?" - Jay-Z

xrich

Banned
new Lupe mixtape out! Kanye was nice enough to have a download link on his blog

edit: also apparently many other places. :lol LTTP for me.

I've seen Lupe 3 times live, every time he's come to Aus. Its odd how his performance seems to have decayed. Maybe its because I lean towards political hip-hop but his stage performances got worse. It could be because he stopped starting with dua... or because he stopped performing his political songs.. maybe its because Aussie audiences are fools? I don't know but I know I preferred food and liquor to the Cool.

Then again when he was in Melbourne a group of my mates spammed the front of his concert. He stopped mid song to get changed into the 'Free Gaza' t-shirt one of them made for him, and got changed into it on the stage... then he appeared in some magazine wearing it with Cornel West. He invited them all backstage. So maybe it was just crap Sydney audiences.

First single is eh, ok. Kinda funny that his label is obsessed with taking the song off youtube, meanwhile the song hasn't gone anywhere on the charts.

The album should be good. I thought The Cool showed a lot of growth

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm ready to call 2010 over and done once I pick up this and Soldier of Love. I don't think I've ever been so hyped for albums before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom