• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Ignition Interview - incl Mangod - Gamasutra

ferricide

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4077/lighting_the_ignition_jumping_.php

all about ignition, starring gaf's favorite love/hate ex-ziff editor.

big promises in this one.

Gamasutra: What I'm interested in is the roadmap for Ignition. The company has been a little bit under the radar, but obviously with the UTV acquisition it gained some notice, because that's a huge infusion of capital and resources that weren't previously there. Also the company is starting to make some moves -- games like Muramasa and the SNK partnership started to bring forth some cachet. What's the roadmap for the future?

Ronnie Screwvala: Well, the trajectory of the last 18 months, I think, started off with more publishing. Much more European Union-based. I think in the last six months we've invested heavily in the U.S. We're really creating a marketing, development, distribution base... So I think that's one side.

When we [UTV] came into the business, our interest was to a certain extent on the publishing, but finally to look at IP creation. And I think the ability for is us to be able to do both, and the team [at Ignition] has the expertise. So we're building up our distribution prowess, and with that we have a very strong ability to source games from worldwide.

And that's the core team. That's one of the core competencies that were there. And to straddle the IP space. So I think the end vision is for us to be scalable in publishing, but actually create and own our own IPs.

and

Gamasutra: Right now, in terms of where Ignition's at, at least in North America, I see the peers of the company being companies like Atlus and XSEED -- in that range. But I get the impression that the aspirations are larger. Can you talk about that sort of motivation?

SB: Right now we are definitely competing for some of the same types of games that those two publishers are, just because their philosophies are in line with us. You know: action RPGs, Japanese-style games. But I think when you see, a year from now, the kind of games we're announcing, it's not on the level of those publishers. It's something they could never do.

RS: I think we've run past the aspiration part, because we wouldn't be at the aspiration stage if we were going to release what we are supposed to be releasing in 2010, you know? So I think we're about already a year and a half past the aspiration, from that perspective.

AC: And you can see that. I don't think they're making the type of IP or content that we're making. We are jumping to triple-A status.

RS: Yeah. It is the triple-A status, and a repertoire of not one, but more than one game. That's going to arouse the curiosity from that point. The combination of the passion of the team, the different geographies, and UTV coming together, is really the USP.

I've never seen anything Atlus and XSeed have published that has been as bad as some of Ignition's work.

If they want to play in the same league, maybe they should stop talking and start upping their quality.

Tiktaalik

ShockingAlberto said:
I've never seen anything Atlus and XSeed have published that has been as bad as some of Ignition's work.

If they want to play in the same league, maybe they should stop talking and start upping their quality.

I think none of Ignition's stuff since Shane arrived and their new direction started has come out yet so looking back at their old stuff is useless.

edit: oh wait well the purchase by UTV was earlier than that so that's not exactly the case. Nothing since Shane arrived has come out yet. Much of this article seems to be about Ignition's new direction since then.

Tiktaalik said:
I think none of Ignition's stuff since Shane arrived and their new direction started has come out yet so looking back at their old stuff is useless.
Like I said, talk is cheap. I was burned pretty bad by Lux-Pain and all this talk of a "new direction" is meaningless without proving it.

Right now, in my mind, I associate Ignition with a quality below fan translations. That's not going to change until they have a finished project (which, this time, I definitely won't buy new) released.

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt because a guy I listened to on a podcast way back when says it's different. I'm being as skeptical as possible because the last product they released would have been considered sloppy and amateurish in the SNES era.

Moreover, I'm not sure why a "new direction" suddenly absolves them of releasing something so poor. So, no, I'm going to go right on ahead considering their past work whenever they talk about how far ahead they're one day going to be, platitudes be damned.

Tiktaalik

ShockingAlberto said:
Like I said, talk is cheap. I was burned pretty bad by Lux-Pain and all this talk of a "new direction" is meaningless without proving it.

Right now, in my mind, I associate Ignition with a quality below fan translations. That's not going to change until they have a finished project (which, this time, I definitely won't buy new) released.

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt because a guy I listened to on a podcast way back when says it's different. I'm being as skeptical as possible because the last product they released would have been considered sloppy and amateurish in the SNES era.

Moreover, I'm not sure why a "new direction" suddenly absolves them of releasing something so poor. So, no, I'm going to go right on ahead considering their past work whenever they talk about how far ahead they're one day going to be, platitudes be damned.

Yeah no you're right to be at least guarded. Definitely.

I am interested though to see what all this ridiculous hype chatter in this interview is all about though, not just because suddenly Shane is on board or anything, but because in the last year when you look at their announced lineup obviously something has changed and the perceived quality has certainly notched upward.

Haunted

Bettenhausen says it's triple A? Must be a PS3 game.

Seriously though, they sure can talk the talk, but it remains to be seen if they can walk the walk.

edit: damn, the other guy said that, my joke's ruined. :mad:

Gilgamesh

Mangod said:
Right now we are definitely competing for some of the same types of games that those two publishers are, just because their philosophies are in line with us. You know: action RPGs, Japanese-style games. But I think when you see, a year from now, the kind of games we're announcing, it's not on the level of those publishers. It's something they could never do.
There's the good old-fashioned Bettenhausen trash talk I remember. Bring on Muramasa! Long live Ignition!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok, think about this:
Ignition agreement with SNKP was kind of when KOFXII had lots of time in development... but now... KOF XIII they (Ignition) could be like the 'western feedback listeners' and have some kind of input during KOFXIII development.
Hell... even KOFXII DLC!
EDIT:Yes,broken english FTL! Kind of late here.
EDIT2: Yeah i thank Ignition for publishing KOFXII on the 'west'. You guys rock!

ferricide

billy.sea said:
So what does Ignition have right now?

King of Fighters XII and Muramasa? Do they have franchise of their own?
that is what one typically means by "original IP". they have unannounced games.

ethelred

ShockingAlberto said:

Tiktaalik said:

Their first major release since him coming on board is getting a half-baked localization where they're not even bothering to do English voice acting (and I've read the supposed reason why for that; it's crap). So far as I can tell, the new direction's not staggeringly better than the old one, and as Alberto noted, they're sure as hell not giving off any indication of being in the same league as a publisher like Atlus or even XSEED -- so maybe he should save the putdowns until he's got something to show.

Aselith

Shane learned his lessons well from his master, Itagaki. The jet fighter is majestically soaring in the skies above our electronic entertainment landscape and taking on all comers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
ethelred said:
Their first major release since him coming on board is getting a half-baked localization where they're not even bothering to do English voice acting (and I've read the supposed reason why for that; it's crap). So far as I can tell, the new direction's not staggeringly better than the old one, and as Alberto noted, they're sure as hell not giving off any indication of being in the same league as a publisher like Atlus or even XSEED -- so maybe he should save the putdowns until he's got something to show.
You're mad about the lack of English-voice acting in Muramasa?

I remember when I used to pray they would keep games with their original language voices.

ethelred

dallow_bg said:

I remember when I used to pray they would keep games with their original language voices.

Then why not just play it with the original language text as well?

Cirekiller said:
:lol Shane just bitchslapped all his competitors,hopefully this means that Ignition is gonna bring Yakuza 3 to NA?

Between that comment and the MW2 prestige unboxing video, i've been having a banner night.

Ashes

Banned
B seems like he is going to put quality before a quick buck for the most part when green lighting. That was to be expected I suppose.

Tailzo

Cirekiller said:
:lol Shane just bitchslapped all his competitors,hopefully this means that Ignition is gonna bring Yakuza 3 to NA?
And Kenzan? I'd surely agree with them if that's what they're planning.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
lol

good to see Shane hasn't changed

"I know something you don't know, I know something you don't know, na na na-naaaaa naaa"

Rez said:
lol

good to see Shane hasn't changed

"I know something you don't know, I know something you don't know, na na na-naaaaa naaa"

Except now it's even easier not to care. Before he might have had details about big games, now it's translated japanese niche games. snooze.

duckroll

I think Ignition is involved with a lot more than just "localizing niche Japanese games" at this point. Even thinking about Yakuza or whatever might be thinking a little small. From what I gathered in the interview, it seems like in the near future they have major co-production deals lined up with Japanese developers and publishers. I wouldn't be surprised if there are major next-gen JRPG announcements at TGS with Ignition's name on them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
duckroll said:
I think Ignition is involved with a lot more than just "localizing niche Japanese games" at this point. Even thinking about Yakuza or whatever might be thinking a little small. From what I gathered in the interview, it seems like in the near future they have major co-production deals lined up with Japanese developers and publishers. I wouldn't be surprised if there are major next-gen JRPG announcements at TGS with Ignition's name on them.
Duckroll is right.

I hope that they are going to give some feedback to SNKP about KOFXII.

GhaleonQ

I was also surprised at his brazenness. Here's hoping, though.

Does this mean I'm entitled to the SNK compilations that Japan (mostly) exclusively got? Because I want to play The Last Blade on my Playstation 2.

Volcynika

dallow_bg said:

I remember when we got fully localized games, even ones with both sets of VA (even though I couldn't care less about including JP VA).

wrowa

SB: [...] But I think when you see, a year from now, the kind of games we're announcing, it's not on the level of those publishers. It's something they could never do.

Since Xseed and Atlus continue to be awesome with a really great line-up and some really good translation efforts, this can only mean that Ignition makes another pile of shit like Lux Pain. A localization as bad as that one is really something both company could never do (if you don't look at Atlus' older games, that is)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Volcynika said:
I remember when we got fully localized games, even ones with both sets of VA (even though I couldn't care less about including JP VA).
We don't get fully localized games?
Localization quality varies of course, as it has since the NES.

Getting the Japanese VA was and sometimes still isn't that common.
Getting dual audio is rare, and welcome.

Volcynika

dallow_bg said:
We don't get fully localized games?
Localization quality varies of course, as it has since the NES.

Getting the Japanese VA was and sometimes still isn't that common.
Getting dual audio is rare, and welcome.

Muramasa coming over with no English VA is NOT a full localization. People that want to play games in English would prefer them to be well...fully English. Kinda easy logic there.

JP voice acting in games localized for North America should seriously just not even be considered anymore as a decision, if they're not going to give people that want English the same amount that JP VA gets.

ivysaur12

Banned
If they mess up the localization of Muramasa like they did Lux-Pain, I'll be pissed as hell, especially because XSeed probably would have done a fine job with it.

Opiate

God, I'm so tired of this sort of "ambition." Everyone wants to be bigger, making more expensive, "blockbuster" games.

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I actually prefer Hollywood's model to this one. Or, for that matter, Music. Or Literature.

What in the world is wrong with this industry? The "prestige" goes to the guys who make giant, blockbuster action games, while the little guys producing niche products are seen as unimportant and lacking ambition?

Ugh. I do hope this industry matures at some point. I'm falling away from games, I can feel it: I've gradually regressed to the point where Chess/Go are 90% of my playtime, instead of 60-70% just a few years ago.

Anso

Too bad Ignition Europe has fucked up pretty much all Ignition releases until now in terms of both game AND marketing. As a citizen of the promised land of bad release dates and big black borders, I'm moderately excited.

Top Bottom